Well, it's been a year now: Was it worth it?

Did GT6 shape up in to what you were hoping it would be?

• Totes!

Votes: 63 14.4%
  • Almost there...

Votes: 133 30.5%
  • Just another update or two.

Votes: 107 24.5%
  • Nopes.

Votes: 133 30.5%

• Total voters
Um, no it wasn't worth it. I bought GT6 for the Course Maker and the Course Maker alone, and the fact that it hasn't been released within the year calls for punishment and losing a potential customer. This punishment is me not buying GT7, since PD wants to leave their fans in the dark for a long period of time and treat them like idiots that will fall for almost everything they say or overhype. Another is them over promising stuff and never furfilling them by delivering what they promised. The list goes on. Oh wow, VGTs that don't even have interiors, oh wow, updated tracks that will bore one in matter of seconds. However, I will say that the physics are spot on since it feels much more greater than GT5's physics, although it's not enough to justify my purchase for GT6 worth it.

My faith in GT7 is non existent, due to feeling or believing PD will make the same mistakes again. Better sounds? GT7 needs more than that to call it self a new game, and not a game with overused ideas like GT6 that made them worse. There better not be "in a future update" because it'll either end up as a lie or keeping people waiting AGAIN to drive sells.

The point of a big update at this time of year is to drive sales for Christmas though.

There are two weeks to go until Christmas. If they're going to have a big update, they need to do it right now or they'll miss the biggest portion of the potential income. There's no point doing it two days before Christmas when everyone has their shopping done already.

Really, they should have done it this week or last week, but this coming Tuesday surely has to be the last opportunity for a big patch that will drive sales over the holidays. Anything we get after that will likely be random token update for the season, maybe a VGT or two.
they still have until next week, I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet, most people still go to work and schools now.

PD will probably take a week off on Christmas aswell so I'm assuming they want to get the update done before christmas.
One more thing, who in the world would buy a game because of an update? :lol:

they still have until next week, I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet, most people still go to work and schools now.

I did say that...

If the update was on the scale of GT5 Spec II, I'm sure plenty of people.

People bought GT5 XL, and given that there's still a couple of pretty killer features missing from GT6 (and that there's a huge number of people who bought GT5 who haven't bought GT6) I'd think that there's a reasonable market out there. If you didn't have GT6 and it suddenly added a course maker and was selling for $20, that's quite a deal.

PD will probably take a week off on Christmas aswell so I'm assuming they want to get the update done before christmas.
I believe GT5 had a pretty large spike in sales after the Spec2 update in Oct. 2011.

I personally thought the updates over a period of a year did live up to my expectations because frankly, they were pretty low in the first place. Despite that I love the game, Polyphony Digital is infamous for poor communication and rather odd developer choices. However, in my opinion they handled updates and downloadable content much better in GT6 than GT5.

After a year of GT6's release we've received new cars, a couple of completely new tracks, and some improvements in gameplay which was all for free. Even though I'll admit the content I've just listed isn't a lot, the fact that it's all free is something that I simply can't complain about. I could tell that they're trying and they did improve compared to their work with the predecessor.

I know some people will hate me for this, but take into account this is just how I see it. After a year since GT5 was released, the only downloadable content at the time that was worth buying was Spa. Kart Space was just a small kart track that looks more something the game designers built to test small cars on than actually something customers have to pay extra for. The "new" cars were an absolute joke. Polyphony literally just came out with a few slightly modified cars that already existed in the game and expected people to pay $7.00-$10.00 (Canadian Dollar) if I remember.

On the other hand, there was a good car pack months after the Spa DLC. It actually had completely different cars like the Jaguar XJR-9, Aston Martin, Aventador, and a few more for around $5. The Route X track was pretty cool, as it had the perfect conditions to test top speeds. But it was slightly overpriced for $4.00 since then again, it was simply just a test track. Then Twin Ring Motegi was available which was a great track to drive on, where you had to pay $3 I believe.

And I know there are even more but I'll stop there since the ones I've just covered were the biggest DLCs Gran Turismo 5 offered. So in summary, customers had to pay around $25 dollars in a period of two years to get slightly more downloadable content than what Gran Turismo 6 gave out in about a year. So I do think Polyphony Digital is heading in the right direction.

I think possibly because in all those cars there is a grand total of one real car that you could actually drive every day, the M4. All the others are concepts and/or race cars. I think that's a big part of why I personally find the DLC to be so unengaging and underwhelming.

I was underwhelmed when all the features were revealed just before GT6's launch, so i decided to hold off on buying it until the promised DLC started being released. Out of all the cars, there's about 6 in that list that i'd have any interest in using and none of the new 'features' so far hold any interest. Some of the tracks are good additions, but the older versions of Brands Hatch and Monza are poorly executed half-arsed attempts.

I've still not seen anything that makes me want to buy it yet - and i've been a first week purchaser of all the previous GT titles. In fact, i've bought three consoles because of Gran Turismo. Really hope they start making the DLC worth while 👍

1. Yes, it was worth what I paid for the game. That wasn't that much money and I don't play any other games or sims so it's a small investment for a life diversion. Paid the premium price and have driven over 22k miles. I
've used only fully stock cars and love the physics. I don't use any aids and drive all street cars on comfort tires, mostly CH and CM. Cockpit cam. I really enjoy the driving experience and like the improved FFB and tweaked sounds in the last couple updates.

2. No. I did not shape up to what I was hoping it would be though. Not going to go through the typical list of complaints but what I wanted to see was more real life cars added as DLC.

It has, almost, I came to GT6 after playing Forza 3, 4 and Horizon on Xbox360, I was tired of paid monthly DLCs and started to hate them... I'm pretty pleased with GT6 but honestly I miss the car rooster from the Forza series, they may have fewer cars but they were more representative... I miss the BMW M3 E30 and Ferrari F50 among others but on the other hand I'm delighted to see tuners cars from GT.

Edit: oh yeah, the Rivals mode in Forza 4 was just awesome, I miss that too

Last edited:
Being realistic, there are now only 3 advertised features still to come.... B spec, Coursemaker, and GPS input for coursemaker, then we pretty much have the game we paid for, aside from the unreleased VGT's.

update.jpg

I personally thought the updates over a period of a year did live up to my expectations because frankly, they were pretty low in the first place. Despite that I love the game, Polyphony Digital is infamous for poor communication and rather odd developer choices. However, in my opinion they handled updates and downloadable content much better in GT6 than GT5.

After a year of GT6's release we've received new cars, a couple of completely new tracks, and some improvements in gameplay which was all for free. Even though I'll admit the content I've just listed isn't a lot, the fact that it's all free is something that I simply can't complain about. I could tell that they're trying and they did improve compared to their work with the predecessor.

I know some people will hate me for this, but take into account this is just how I see it. After a year since GT5 was released, the only downloadable content at the time that was worth buying was Spa. Kart Space was just a small kart track that looks more something the game designers built to test small cars on than actually something customers have to pay extra for. The "new" cars were an absolute joke. Polyphony literally just came out with a few slightly modified cars that already existed in the game and expected people to pay $7.00-$10.00 (Canadian Dollar) if I remember.

On the other hand, there was a good car pack months after the Spa DLC. It actually had completely different cars like the Jaguar XJR-9, Aston Martin, Aventador, and a few more for around $5. The Route X track was pretty cool, as it had the perfect conditions to test top speeds. But it was slightly overpriced for $4.00 since then again, it was simply just a test track. Then Twin Ring Motegi was available which was a great track to drive on, where you had to pay $3 I believe.

And I know there are even more but I'll stop there since the ones I've just covered were the biggest DLCs Gran Turismo 5 offered. So in summary, customers had to pay around $25 dollars in a period of two years to get slightly more downloadable content than what Gran Turismo 6 gave out in about a year. So I do think Polyphony Digital is heading in the right direction.
You're right that there was a tad more content this time around and it was all free, but to be honest i don't think a lot of people would open their wallets for VGT fantasy cars with no interiors. They could have charged for the Senna content or that track or two that they released afterwards though, so it's nice that at least they gave it as a present.
For me i would prefer the way they did the DLC on GT5 with some premium real life cars and tracks and i actually bought them all too back then, there was just too little of it and it was released on inconsistent time frames. I think when they made that statement of a 'quantum leap' in DLC with monthly car and track packs, most people thought it would be real life cars in DLC packs like T10 releases, just more consistent than it was in GT5.

...................After The Letdown that was GT5 I got weary so I waited for the price drop (which happened a LOT quicker than I thought). Even then I bought another game at the same time just in case.
And I haven't started that other game yet...so yeah, I got money's worth, alright. Low expectations, low disappointments, blah, blah....
Will see if this Spec II will complete GT6 - I doubt that this Spec II is even coming - but currently waiting patiently for that GM laser car. So I can say "Zoom Zoom" while driving it...:D

Being realistic, there are now only 3 advertised features still to come.... B spec, Coursemaker, and GPS input for coursemaker, then we pretty much have the game we paid for, aside from the unreleased VGT's.

View attachment 272280

It's true. It's just unfortunate that the Course Maker is the big one that I suspect the vast majority of players will be at least interested to try, and B Spec is something that could be of interest to everyone as well depending on how they do it this time.

If the three features they hadn't implemented from the list were instead Export to Motec, GPS Visualiser and the Data Logger I doubt that people would be as dissatisfied. For whatever reason, they've managed to release the features in almost the worst order possible.

By far what I want most is DLC with cars and tracks. I've had enough of Vision GT. I do like the fact that they "give" us cars like Vision GT. (That is if you take micro transactions out of the equation):yuck:

But I want more RUF, Ferrari, McLaren P1 and Camaro ZR1 and dozens of others. How about bringing back Special Stage Route 11? Or Sonoma? Or maybe introducing Watkins Glenn or Road America? I mean come on PD. Perhaps it's due to the production team is not able to properly "port" GT6 objects over to GT7. That I could understand.

I agree that promised features are pending and should have been addressed way before a year in. But by far the lack of real world car/track DLC really sucks. Not ungrateful, but very disappointed.:grumpy:

For me, B Spec is 50% of the game, the same as it was for GT5. I do the events and often enjoy them, but if I'm honest, I like chilling out watching the vast assortment of cars on offer and spend half the time doing that.

I'm not bothered about drifting, moon buggy driving, rallying or even the course maker. If GT6 was all about B Spec, I'd be "totes" happy.

If it doesn't turn up, I'm not going to sulk by not buying a PS4 and GT7. I've enjoyed 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 and excited to see what PD can do with the PS4's power so definitely buying them. If Kaz doesn't release the B Spec though, he's off my Christmas card list. Harsh, but that's the way it is.

I never understood what was so fun about B-spec, I personally find it quite boring to see the AI do my job. GT4 was the best when it comes down to B-spec, allowing you to take control of the wheel whenever you want to.

If they releaset B-Spec then I want it to be combined with A-spec so we can do long endurance races without having to watch the AI drive for 24hrs, whoever finds watching the AI drive for 24hrs is beyond my understanding.

The GT Mode in GT6 was very impressive but the conclusion left me quite dissapointed with the 24min endurance races.

From memory:-

Cars:
BMW M4
Toyota FT-1 Concept
Mario Andretti's Hudson
Toyota TS030
Lexus ISF CCR
GT-R GT3 YouTube
GT-R NISMO
FT-1 Graphite
M4 Safety Car
Mercedes AMG VGT
Mercedes AMG RS VGT
BMW VGT
Mitsubishi XR-PHEV Evo VGT
VW GTi Roadster VGT
Nissan Concept 2020 VGT
Aston Martin DP-100 VGT
Toyota FT-1 VGT
Subaru Viziv VGT
Lotus 97T
WSR F3
DAP racing Kart
Corvette Stingray Gran Turismo Concept
Red Bull X2014
Red Bull Kart
Red Bull Junior

It's impressive to look at that list, and contrast it to the constant claims that GT is unequaled in the "everyday car" stakes. I mean, it might still be (on account of legacy assets), but damn, is PD ever trying to put an end to that advantage.

I'm having a hard time understanding how people can be happy with this game, since it is a downgrade from GT5 (half the racing with no B-spec, whether you liked B-spec or not) along with an emphasis on clock racing and silly cones, drifting, etc. And the number one thing they advertised, which had everybody on this board and every other GT board raving was the GPS-based course creator where you could create your own track off of whatever you REALLY drive, and it is STILL not out. If we are all honest, that's the real reason we bought this GT5.1 game as a filler between the PS3 and PS4. There's a 109 page thread on this board of GT meme's with nearly all of them dedicated to complaints about sounds, lack of course creator, moon racing, and all the other ridiculousness of this game.

I guess it's kind of like politics. If you distract them and play the shell game, the real issues fall to the back burner.

Referring to me saying that GT2 graphics would be painful to look at now.
Well, that's really the most important thing, I guess.
:lol:
No graphics are not the most important thing but there is a point where they just don't stand up. At the time the game came out the graphics were good for a console game, short of a pc but good for a console. GT4 was quite a lot better but now with HD displays GT4 is very hard to look at.

With some effort I could bring myself to play GT4 for a while but it would be hard to go back to a 480 display after years of playing games with 720P or higher res.

But of course if GT2 is what you are into then so be it. I suppose you are not one of the ones here who have been complaining about the standard cars in GT5/6 since they look 100 times better than GT2 ;)

I never understood what was so fun about B-spec, I personally find it quite boring to see the AI do my job. GT4 was the best when it comes down to B-spec, allowing you to take control of the wheel whenever you want to.

If they releaset B-Spec then I want it to be combined with A-spec so we can do long endurance races without having to watch the AI drive for 24hrs, whoever finds watching the AI drive for 24hrs is beyond my understanding.

The GT Mode in GT6 was very impressive but the conclusion left me quite dissapointed with the 24min endurance races.

I don't watch all of the endurance races so cheat a little with them. I picked an overpowered car (usually the Red Bull) and checked in every now. They were a chore but the OCD in me wouldn't let me not do them. Plus, they were money for nothing along with a prize car.

The main enjoyment for me was in the lower lap races and trying the myriad of cars in the game that are so often neglected.

Poor health (low oxygen from emphysema) often stops me from racing myself so it's a great substitute.

View attachment 272280

Yes but GT has been out for over a year now. It was expected that they would have came in early Spring. Looks like they'll not come at all now. And there's also the lie about not giving us, what was it, a few cars and a track every monthly update?

Yes but GT has been out for over a year now. It was expected that they would have came in early Spring. Looks like they'll not come at all now. And there's also the lie about not giving us, what was it, a few cars and a track every monthly update?

I always thought they would come in Spec 2.0 around the 1 year mark, but I don't think the GPS addition to the Course Maker is going to make it in. Too bad, but it never was a promised feature. I still hope the Course Maker and B-Spec make it in Spec 2.0 before X-Mas, but they never gave a date.

I read somewhere where it content would be added bi-monthly. Don't know where I read it though since it's been a year now.

I read somewhere where it content would be added bi-monthly. Don't know where I read it though since it's been a year now.

Miss communication, they planned to try and get an update released each month & try to include content in each update. People thought that meant a car and a track each month, but that's pretty silly. Kaz when questioned on the topic in the Q&A confirmed this & also pointed out that so far they have released more than a car a months worth of DLC cars. Almost 20 cars have been added in updates for free with an additional 7 layouts and 2 new location & a new event on top of it not to forget the extra features nobody saw coming like MoTeC, Caliper Pain, Racing Numbers and just how cool the community features are & proving to be worth the wait.

Miss communication, they planned to try and get an update released each month & try to include content in each update. People thought that meant a car and a track each month, but that's pretty silly. Kaz when questioned on the topic in the Q&A confirmed this & also pointed out that so far they have released more than a car a months worth of DLC cars. Almost 20 cars have been added in updates for free with an additional 7 layouts and 2 new location & a new event on top of it not to forget the extra features nobody saw coming like MoTeC, Caliper Pain, Racing Numbers and just how cool the community features are & proving to be worth the wait.

Quantum Leap in DLC

Monthly DLC tracks for Gran Turismo

So we were pretty silly believing the words of U.S. Gran Turismo producer Taku Imasaki and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s President and CEO, Jim Ryan?

Back