What is the car on the cover?

• Thread starter Gt fein
  • 206 comments
I think Nicktune has it. The dimentions are pretty close, the wheel wells look to fit, and as opposed to most of the other cars listed, the nose actually looks like it pulls back in as it gets to the bottom, something the R32s and R33s are designed with. GT-R's don't fit because they have bigger wings that stick out in profile.

And above all, that frigging crease on the rear quarter is there too.
Think Thats case closes and Thread ended now :dopey:

i think it is the R32 GT-S because kaz used to own one, and it could've been to commemorate the "death" of his own r32 when he crashed it. also the r32 gt-s is on of the few rwd skylines in gt5. for no apparent reason the rwd r34 isn't in the game. so that might be the reason its the r32 gt-s and why its still in gt5.

It HAS to be a Camaro.

I own a 96 Z28, am a photographer. I am going to recreate this S&$T.

Also, anyone ever read the descriptions in the GT1 game? They glorified the Camaro in the description, in fact it warms my heart when I read it. The very last word describing the car is, excessive. lol.

You can also see the front bumper shape...
gran-turismo-original-cover-car.jpg

mixedcars%20020_01.jpg

GTS-T 👍

It HAS to be a Camaro.

I own a 96 Z28, am a photographer. I am going to recreate this S&$T.

Also, anyone ever read the descriptions in the GT1 game? They glorified the Camaro in the description, in fact it warms my heart when I read it. The very last word describing the car is, excessive. lol.

Well it aint. Front and rear to long on a Z28 for the pic. Sky is just right plus each corner and crease is there.

Aint?

It Aint an R32 either. Front end is wrong.

I'm sure the Genius's at GT fabbed this up and are lol'ing at this thread.

What if they had a really tight budget, and couldn't afford a real car under the sheet, but instead, cleverly placed cardboard boxes shape up the form of a sports car?

0622090021.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted but isn't this the shape?

Edit: Looking again, back is too long.
Bleh.

Last edited:
I've overlayed a few R32's over that cover and I'm pretty damn sure (98%) it's not an R32.
It's also not a Camaro, that I can tell.

It looks more like an R33 than an R32 to me. And it can't be a Camaro because the car is too short.

R32 arguement is very valid, i am seeing the shape especially in the back end....figuring someone in japan had one and they threw it over and took the photo...very nice. I still assumed it was the camaro z28 95' or whatever, but with the body looking the way it does near the end it def could be that R32...i always said to my self R32, Mk3 supra or camaro...i only vocally talked about the camaro..

Gran Turismo ™;7962559
R32 arguement is very valid, i am seeing the shape especially in the back end....figuring someone in japan had one and they threw it over and took the photo...very nice. I still assumed it was the camaro z28 95' or whatever, but with the body looking the way it does near the end it def could be that R32...i always said to my self R32, Mk3 supra or camaro...i only vocally talked about the camaro..
Could be the R32 as well.Although I'm thinking the R33's rear end is in that picture because the R33 has a more muscular backend than the R32.

I've had another look at the cover, and I'm guessing R32 GTS-T. Can't be an R33 because the rear window is placed at a steeper angle, the boot lid's bigger, and the rear spoiler is too small to be an R33 spoiler. Also the rear quarter panel looks like that of an R32, the R33 is more curved...

I'm such a massive car bore :grumpy:...

I think its a camaro honestly in my opinion, look closely on the front bumper . Because when I searched it on google, and it looked similar. just saying.

Last edited:
Well, I'll just start off by saying what I know it isn't.
It's not a Camaro/Firebird - The spoiler is COMPLETELY wrong for the car under the cover. They have what you might call a 'molded' spoiler, where it flows directly off of the body paneling, without any visible 'lip' like the car under the cover has.
It's not a Ford Mustang - No... just no.

I thought that it could've been an NSX, due to the rear spoiler and the relatively low-slung body, but seeing the R32 that Nicktune posted, I'd say I'm 98% convinced that that's what's under the cover.

I strongly believe it's a Camaro.

Why? The cover was for the North American market. The Chevrolet Camaro is an American car. It seems logical to me!

For the people who claim that there aren't any Camaro's around in Japan to take pictures of, remember this news story? http://kotaku.com/5708966/gt5s-toy-car-logos-are-embarrassing-and-gone Polyphony has used AUTOart http://www.autoartmodels.com/en/die-cast cars to do the majority of their modelling work for years, and this image was most likely just that of a diecast model covered by a satin sheet.

Anyway, I've created a small picture to further show why I believe it's the Camaro.
51ze9Ld.png

Sadly, I couldn't find any images of the Camaro totally on its side, but its base shape is more than enough to show that the shape more so resembles the Camaro's sleek line from the hood to the roof, in contrast to the NSX's taller roof.

In conclusion, I feel that there are more similarities between the car under the sheet and the Camaro, than the NSX. The two biggest details give it away. The Camaro's spoiler and the gap between the wheel and the trunk.

(Maybe we can finally put this to rest? :D)

I strongly believe it's a Camaro.

Why? The cover was for the North American market. The Chevrolet Camaro is an American car. It seems logical to me!

For the people who claim that there aren't any Camaro's around in Japan to take pictures of, remember this news story? http://kotaku.com/5708966/gt5s-toy-car-logos-are-embarrassing-and-gone Polyphony has used AUTOart http://www.autoartmodels.com/en/die-cast cars to do the majority of their modelling work for years, and this image was most likely just that of a diecast model covered by a satin sheet.

Anyway, I've created a small picture to further show why I believe it's the Camaro.

Sadly, I couldn't find any images of the Camaro totally on its side, but its base shape is more than enough to show that the shape more so resembles the Camaro's sleek line from the hood to the roof, in contrast to the NSX's taller roof.

In conclusion, I feel that there are more similarities between the car under the sheet and the Camaro, than the NSX. The two biggest details give it away. The Camaro's spoiler and the gap between the wheel and the trunk.

(Maybe we can finally put this to rest? :D)

Camaro doesn't fit even 60%, wrong front end, rear to long and it may have been for american market but its still a japanese produced game and R32 is 99.9% fit. Plus Kaz owned one at the time. He cant remember what was under the cover but he knows deep down.

Just look at it, with an open mind
nissan_skyline_1989_wallpapers_1_b.jpg

We're talking about a game that came out in '98!

There was 1991 version and then the 2002 version, with different headlights and slightly different shape of chassis.

There must've been 2002 concept out at the moment.

It isn't NSX on the cover, cause the hood line is too high and is not straight like in NSX.

BTW, Camaros' front bumper line is not horizontal like in the covered car. It blows it up.

And I don't think it is a R32 either. It doesn't even look similar.

To me the closest guess would be Corvette C4. The overall shape is the closest to the covered car.

127732d1314298181-chevrolet-corvette-c4-1989-01hd.jpg

Last edited:
Back