What's With The Hashtag + 'Useless Comment' Fad?

• Thread starter Robin
  • 95 comments
Some people find it amusing, some people don't.

I use a few internet-related words with my friends, but very few. Usually 'dat.... ' and insisting on pronouncing meme as 'meem', contrary to my friend's pronounciation 'may may'.

'Dat isn't Internet slang, and Meme is a real word...

So wait, did you just say you use it out loud fairly often, but then said you'd give someone a weird look if they used it in person?

Aren't those the same things... :odd:

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I was, and still am, distracted by other things.

I meant if someone I didn't really know walked up and started talking to me like we were on Facebook I'd give them a weird look.

'Dat isn't Internet slang, and Meme is a real word...

Yeah, but I would never dat unless I was speaking Dutch or in this case, referring to Dat Ass variants, as explained on KYM.

And meme is of course a real word, I just meant that because whenever he refers to an internet meme he pronounces it 'may may', I am forever correcting my friend.

I'm honestly at a loss to how one ends up with May May from meme. "E" in any language doesn't quite make that sound on its own, if I recall correctly.

The slang my friends and I use is so context sensitive that it means nothing when taken out of the situation. Example being "just mob past the go till you get to the go" or "mob the go into the go"

Yup, real meaning to those, honest.

I'm honestly at a loss to how one ends up with May May from meme. "E" in any language doesn't quite make that sound on its own, if I recall correctly.

It does in German. But that's beside the point.

I explain to him how it also isn't Mee Mee because the e on the end changes the sound and stress of the preceiding e but he just doesn't listen. Or is trolling me.

Probably both.

And slang? Yeah, we all have our own words/expressions. I'm pure whacking it, lerd.

How many pipes do I need to smoke before they have meaning Cody?

Personally I like to refer things to the Weekly Racing Series ranking system :lol:

Division 1 Gold = epic / Like a boss
Division 7 Pink = craptacular

Then you have everything in between.

Nothing more funnier than having inside jokes and references to things like the internet or even movie scenes with mates.

Quotes? Oh god, I'll be honest, me and one of my friends talk pretty much exclusively in quotes. It's weird.

But I agree, inside jokes are great fun. It's always a laugh to mess around with the strangers around you!

It does in German. But that's beside the point.

Oh, for some reason I thought the E sound was around "eh" like it is in Latin languages and most romanized Asian languages. But I just realized I forgot German isn't built on a Latin language :dopey:

I forget where this is from. :lol:

"Moo point", I mean.

Also, I'm not really sure what to think...it's weird if nothing else.

It was Joey getting it wrong in Friends, I wish it was a cooler reference but we all watched it.

On the topic of internet slang it bugs me there's no universal equivalent of 👍 not many people would understand tup...obviously I mean for texts and email rather than in person where you just shove a thumb in their face.

Oh dear. The guy on the radio just said "it's hashtag freezing outside...". God help us...

Oh dear. The guy on the radio just said "it's hashtag freezing outside...". God help us...

Don't worry, NZ suffers something similar. I remember the day when I heard on the radio, the person said 'nek minute' :scared:

On the topic of internet slang it bugs me there's no universal equivalent of 👍 not many people would understand tup...obviously I mean for texts and email rather than in person where you just shove a thumb in their face.

Most people my age understand (y) though. (the msn reference).

But it really is quite funny when you see internet culture creep into everyday life, not only in your workplace but also like radio / tv.

If I'm ever having a conversation with someone and they say 'hashtag', it won't be a facepalm, it will be a facepunch.

But it really is quite funny when you see internet culture creep into everyday life, not only in your workplace but also like radio / tv.

I've never really used msn so I wouldn't have got that, I would have assumed it meant yes. I don't know anyone who's made the mistake but I like the story of someone's mum thinking lol in texts meant lots of love, she must have thought everyone was lovely :P

How old are you son? 'Cause I'm 19 and I don't understand (y) until I asked someone. :odd:
I've gone past my msn messenger phase long time ago so...

If I'm ever having a conversation with someone and they say 'hashtag', it won't be a facepalm, it will be a facepunch.
👍 👍 👍

I'm only 19 years old and don't have a Twitter account so I guess I'm just old fashioned. Most of my Facebook friends uses these #hashtag and (y) thumbs up? crap and I just don't get it.

Last edited:
I've never really used msn so I wouldn't have got that, I would have assumed it meant yes. I don't know anyone who's made the mistake but I like the story of someone's mum thinking lol in texts meant lots of love, she must have thought everyone was lovely :P

Well I did say people my age :lol:
hide4_smilie.gif

Also:
aunt-died.jpg

Oh no, help us from new slang! Those kids and their internet, we should probably just ban them all so they don't learn about this kind of stuff.

Noes!!!!!!!!!!!
#because hashtag#

Could explain some laughing fits I've had, I think :lol:

sj65m.png

How old are you son? 'Cause I'm 19 and I don't understand (y) until I asked someone. :odd:

It isn't really a phase though... I still use MSN regularly, along with AIM. Of course, Gtalk and Skype are also in there. And I've used all for business and work related stuff.

I would still use MSN, I liked it a lot, but none of my friends use it anymore. Instead, they just bitch about how Facebook chat never works.

*Sigh* There are plenty of alternatives out there.

I would still use MSN, I liked it a lot, but none of my friends use it anymore. Instead, they just bitch about how Facebook chat never works.

*Sigh* There are plenty of alternatives out there.

True story....

Facebook chat = the new msn

Im 23 and have used MSN from the age of 12 / 13. So even a few years before your time. MSN was big before facebook and skype came. Before MSN it was ICQ and AIM etc.

I had an MSN account years ago. For the last 6 or so years I've been using Y! messenger from Yahoo! as it's compatible with MSN and I can open chat boxes inside my inbox window on the browser rather than having lots of chat boxes open. Never once have I or shall I bother with text speak because, well I don't know why, I'm just not fond of it.

Im 23 and have used MSN from the age of 12 / 13. So even a few years before your time. MSN was big before facebook and skype came. Before MSN it was ICQ and AIM etc.

I'm 20 and started using MSN in 2004. Those were some good days. Never used AIM though. I still have an MSN account but no-one is ever on it. I've also now got Skype.

Never once have I or shall I bother with text speak because, well I don't know why, I'm just not fond of it.

Sort of the same for me. I always, always write and send texts in full sentences with correct punctuation and so on. And I never use emoticons either. Just don't.

I am rather fond of the odd smiley face, even in a text. Especially Dion's smileys, they rock.
rockon.gif

I had an MSN account years ago. For the last 6 or so years I've been using Y! messenger from Yahoo! as it's compatible with MSN and I can open chat boxes inside my inbox window on the browser rather than having lots of chat boxes open. Never once have I or shall I bother with text speak because, well I don't know why, I'm just not fond of it.

Do you use QQ as well for local-ish stuff?

I used to do QQ International but somehow some of my students got my number and kept bugging me. I will probably use it for the next month while my wife is away as we can do video chat in the evenings, it's cheaper than calling on the phone.

Other social networking things I don't really do but plenty of my colleagues use Weibo and stuff like that.

I'm yet to hear anyone say 'hashtag' in verbal conversation... I didn't realize people did that. Twitter is annoying enough as it is - hopefully people can at least confine that grammatical murder to the internet. I would actually get really annoyed if I heard someone say that.

Back