What's With The Hashtag + 'Useless Comment' Fad?

• Thread starter Robin
  • 95 comments
Surely #hashtag# is said as "hashtag hashtag hashtag"? If anyone said that to me face to face I'd be worried that they were having some sort of fit.

I don't really have a problem with people using words like that though. As time goes on and the internet becomes more and more a part of daily life we will start to see things like the hashtag becoming used more commonly in every day conversation. It's the way language has always worked, it's just the invention of online communication having it's impact.

Well without wanting to come across as a thicko, what the hell is a hashtag?! I keep seeing people putting stuff up on Facebook such as #FedUpWithStupidFads and so forth. I'm not upto speed on tech' and i couldn't give a damn about twitter (seems childish to me) but when it spills over to other mediums that's when it starts to bothers me.

Well without wanting to come across as a thicko, what the hell is a hashtag?! I keep seeing people putting stuff up on Facebook such as #FedUpWithStupidFads and so forth. I'm not upto speed on tech' and i couldn't give a damn about twitter (seems childish to me) but when it spills over to other mediums that's when it starts to bothers me.

I could be wrong but I think it's something you can use on Twitter to be part of the latest big topics. Using that means your tweet gets posted to the same place as everyone else using the same tag. I have no idea why a hash is used though, words can easily trend without it.

I could be wrong but I think it's something you can use on Twitter to be part of the latest big topics. Using that means your tweet gets posted to the same place as everyone else using the same tag. I have no idea why a hash is used though, words can easily trend without it.

I see, thanks for the explanation. And for my next question: What the hell is trending/trend !?

^It basically means that loads of people are talking about it. The higher the number of people who are talking about it (ie, using the words or hashtags), the higher up the trending list it goes.

Oh right, thanks for that explanation too. I get confused with all these new terms that pop up out of no where! A few years ago it would have just been called being popular but now we have a whole new word system to use - isn't life bloody wonderful eh ?! :indiff:

Trend is not a new term though ;)

It was even in how I met your mother, it took me a minute to get it.
Barney : hashtag burn, hashtag burn.

Better getting a internet thing in real life (twitter) than having your real life on the internet (myface)

Thank Joe I live in a spanish-speaking country.

Funny to see some people arguing this shouldn't be annoying to anyone.

I'm sure these people that use these stupid terms in everyday conversation, will love it when human beings have evolved their faces to what resembles a mobile phone.
Obviously they have problems differentiating between a phone and a person and the sooner the former happens the better, for them, but not the rest of us, who indulge in 'traditional' conversation.

Im 23 and have used MSN from the age of 12 / 13. So even a few years before your time. MSN was big before facebook and skype came. Before MSN it was ICQ and AIM etc.

Ahh, I see, sorry to call you 'son' then. I thought you were much younger than me. :ouch: Maybe 'cause it feels that I'm getting old. :ill:

Does people still use MSN Messenger anymore? I mean, I guess they do since the '(y) = thumbs up' thing is appearing on Facebook.

Does people still use MSN Messenger anymore? I mean, I guess they do since the '(y) = thumbs up' thing is appearing on Facebook.

I still use MSN Messenger (which is now called Windows Live Messenger..unless they're two different things and if that's the case, then no).

I still actually prefer it to AIM.. maybe it's because I can nudge people on it :lol:

hashtagnudgingisgreat

It must just be a UK thing at the moment, hopefully it won't spread :crazy:

If you have been watching TV and listening to the radio recently you will hear it quite often in coversation. Anyone watching Celebrity Big Brother will have heard the housemates say it loads of times.

"give me a drink hashtag NOW!'

facepalm

Trend is not a new term though ;)

Yahoo and a few other sites use it quite a bit, although if someone that isn't very popular/famous/well-known anymore is suddenly trended, you know they either died, badly injured, or did something "scandalous".

Interesting how a trend is now a noun and a verb...

calvin-and-hobbes.jpg

...Waterson is still a genius.

It must just be a UK thing at the moment, hopefully it won't spread :crazy:

If you have been watching TV and listening to the radio recently you will hear it quite often in coversation. Anyone watching Celebrity Big Brother will have heard the housemates say it loads of times.

"give me a drink hashtag NOW!'

facepalm
Isn't it hashtag FACEPALM?! :D

I'm glad I don't use Twitter enough to care about this # thing.

Me too man. And most people my age usees it so I'm the odd one out.

I see hashtags quite frequently online, especially in Twitter, but I don't know what the "right" hashtag terms are, so I never use it myself.

Using it in daily speech may seem a little weird, but everyone has their own quirkiness in their speech. I don't see why this bothers so many people. Just move on. #firstworldproblems

I saw this today for the first time on one of my FB friends status updates. She is a bit of a popularity contest so probably uses it because a) everyone else does and b) it's the "in" thing. #justignoredher

Not heard anyone use it, but I've seen people use it inappropriately.. and it does anger me. That and .com on the end of words, that really annoys me. People saying Lol, doesn't bother me at all though.. it's like saying, "What you said was funny, and made me smile on the inside, but not enough to physically laugh out loud".. which is a useful thing... I only laugh out loud about 5 or 6 times per year, so it's useful to be able to let people know they are funny without having to force either a smile, or worse - fake laughter.

if you said "#bored.com" ... that would earn you a punch in the neck.. but if you said "I'm more bored than a Wartsila RT-FLEX-96C engine", I'd say "lol".

Surely saying lol defeats the point then? It means laugh out loud, yet you said that you say it when you wouldn't laugh out loud?

Surely saying lol defeats the point then? It means laugh out loud, yet you said that you say it when you wouldn't laugh out loud?

I'm just not a laugher, but I can appreciate if someone were to say something hilarious that it deserves recognition.

edit: I mean seriously, when was the last time you ACTUALLY Rofl'd? I've only ever done that twice since I learned to walk... the first time I saw 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', and the first time I watched 'Team America'.. I think I may have been drunk both times, and that probably explained the being on the floor part.

MazdaPrice

Yes but LOL doesn't mean laugh out loud anymore. Its more like: That was a nice joke.

I don't say lol, rofl or lmao because I know I don't mean them. I'm honest enough about it.

I don't say lol, rofl or lmao because I know I don't mean them. I'm honest enough about it.

That's fair enough, I just find it useful verbal shorthand for expressing an emotion. I wouldn't try and pronounce any other TLA's in conversation, it's just that Lol works quite well.

When people say confusing/stupid things, I'll say "lul wat?" My wat is mildly infamous with people that know me now :lol:

Back