ZedTunes' Autumn/Fall Rally Shootout 2011

• Thread starter C-ZETA
  • 544 comments
And I'm done !
All test's we're done with ABS 1 and Manual Transmission.
---------------------------
praiano's Cooper S:

Tarmac:
Quite a bit of understeer, which is normal. Gearing give a good acceleration and good top speed.
Gravel: Reached the limiter of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears like 20km/h before the normal on tarmac. Car is very good.
Snow: Pure grip. Car can make any turn, no matter is a slow tight or fast wide turn, it will make.
----------------------------
dr slump CZ-3 Tarmac:

Tarmac:
Name makes justice. It's all I can say.
Gravel: Same thing of Roj's A110. But it wasn't controllable. And this isn't a RR car.
Snow: Again same surprise as I got in Roj's A110. Controllable, can do whatever I want with it and it will answer.
CyKosis 206:

Tarmac:
Lacks on fun, but sure is comparable in grip terms with the CZ-3 Tarmac tune by dr slump.
Gravel: What a BEAST ! Hold any line I wanted. Any. It left me speechless.
Snow: Car feels good here too. Just lacks fun. Again.
RJ's A110:

Tarmac:
Same thing that happened in both snow and gravel.
Gravel: Same thing that happened in snow.
Snow: Back seemed happy for most of turns, but it was controllable. Some hints of understeer, nothing too serious.
krenkme Evo V:

Tarmac:
Understeer monster. Couldn't make a turn without hitting the wall.
Gravel: It was a beast, the car answered to all that I tryed to do with it. And a beast acceleration.
Snow: The understeer is there, but you don't feel it as much as on tarmac.
Roj A110:

Tarmac:
Underpowered, but it pretty much answers to what you want to do with it.
Gravel: Back seemed wayy too happy... more than normal for RR cars, but it was controllable at all times.
Snow: Got a huge surprise. A helluva of a car, can do whatever I want with it and it will answer.
Jack Impreza:

Tarmac:
Same thing as Desperado Evo VI, but lacked a little on top speed. And didn't went that well on some turns.
Gravel: Same thing as Desperado Evo VI.
Snow: Even being a little ovesteery in slow tight turns and understeery in fast wide turns, it beat the Lancer VI time in my Alaska track. And it went against my snow principiles, just like the Lancer VI.
GfxJG Cooper S:

Tarmac:
Car had some bits of understeer, nothing too serious. But I think it could've gone better, had big expectations after snow and gravel tests.
Gravel: Acceleration looks like improved from snow, maintaned the good handling it has.
Snow: Good Acceleration, good turns. Can't complain about it, liked the way it.
XDesperado Evo VI:
Tarmac:
Pure grip. Hold whichever lane you want thru any corner, to the tightest ones to the widest ones.
Gravel: Controllable drifts. That's what you get. And they help you make better laps. HOW? I don't know.
Snow: It likes to go little sideways, against all my principles in snow driving (which are like the tarmac principiles). Still, those little drifts helped it make a pretty qucik time.
CSL Stratos:

Tarmac:
Back kicks out in every turn, turning it in a fun ride sliding at every turn. Loved it every single second of it's run.
Gravel: Likes to go sideways, but can save. It's a fun car. But doesn't like to be pushed too far. If pushed too far, it will bite you. Hard.
Snow: Back wayyy too happy for my taste. Atleast no sign of over or understeer.

1st.
XDesperado Lancer Evo VI
2nd. Jack Impreza
3rd. CyKosis 206 S16
4th. Roj's A110
5th. CSLACR Stratos
6th. GfxJG Cooper S
7th. RJ's A110
8th. dr_slump CZ-3 Tarmac
9th. praiano's Cooper S
10th. krenkme's Lancer Evo V

I really don't understand this shootout and his criterion to rank a car.
It's ok for me , i just want to understand.... Since the beginning ,i just know that i have to tune a given car with given specs for tarmac/gravel and snow. Ok. After this ? How do you classify so differents cars that have nothing to compare one with the other , only the fact they have 4 wheels...???

I really don't understand this shootout and his criterion to rank a car.
It's ok for me , i just want to understand.... Since the beginning ,i just know that i have to tune a given car with given specs for tarmac/gravel and snow. Ok. After this ? How do you classify so differents cars that have nothing to compare one with the other , only the fact they have 4 wheels...???
It was a strictly drivers choice event amigo. The test drivers ranked cars based on how much they liked driving them not on performance, although I'm sure performance played a part in their choice as most prefer going faster.

It was a strictly drivers choice event amigo. The test drivers ranked cars based on how much they liked driving them not on performance, although I'm sure performance played a part in their choice as most prefer going faster.

Ok, the comments are speaking about performance and handling and the classification about driver choice.

Now it's clear. I see the light, thanks Mister Xdesperados :)👍

I'm a bit confused why everyone else seem to be having less grip with every on the snow, while I find the snow much grippier than gravel....

And Desperado, don't sell yourself short, I'm sure the car helped, but it worked fantastically, and I'm comparing it to 530PP WRC cars.
With just 475PP it managed within 5 seconds of previous tests on cars like the 08 Impreza Rally Car, among others. And it's a road car with no downforce. :crazy:

It looks like the testers criteria of 'decide your favorite to drive' might have benefited with a time challenge as well. Maybe a particular driver could have driven all the different models unmodified around set tracks for each ground cover. Then ask for lap times for these same tracks and compare the difference.

With that said, who can predict what they receive from a ticket, unless they were born in 1954? The joy for the tuner is to receive an unexpected surprise. Then struggle with the unfamiliar.

The joy for a test driver is to try the cars adjusted by the best darn GT5 tuners on this Planet, with all round rally in mind. An out of control Alpine is still better than grinding credits for the last Miata that I don't have.

The idea of meeting the challenge of tuning a car you don't choose is a fun one. Perhaps in the future though someone might make a list of 10-20 cars that are competitive performance wise and the Event Sponsor assign them to tuners on a random basis. That way they could be evaluated on final performance as well as drivers choice. Plus it would prevent duplication of cars as each car would only be assigned to one tuner. Just an idea.💡:cool:

@CSLACR it has downforce...5 points rear!:lol: Didn't like the looks of the car with any of the standard wing choices and really didn't feel they gave much if any return in performance, especially after I fudged things by using weight loss and ballast to improve the balance of the car. In real life it would most likely be an uncomfortable daily driver with lightweight racing seats, no stereo, AC or heater, side windows that if able to be opened at all would have to be opened manually and very limited sound dampening. It could be registered for public roads but between the above and the performance transmission would be about as practical and enjoyable as a ProStreet car. Nice eye candy with limited track day performance.

Last edited:
The idea of meeting the challenge of tuning a car you don't choose is a fun one. Perhaps in the future though someone might make a list of 10-20 cars that are competitive performance wise and the Event Sponsor assign them to tuners on a random basis. That way they could be evaluated on final performance as well as drivers choice. Plus it would prevent duplication of cars as each car would only be assigned to one tuner. Just an idea.💡:cool:
It was a very neat concept, and I enjoyed taming the beast, and every second I spent driving it on all three surfaces.
Of course I'll not be entering a mixed drive train contest off road again, because it unfortunately just didn't work out. (imo)

Don't for a second think that means your EVO isn't as fantastic as I said, I will be installing your tune on that car when I find it in the UCD. 👍

XDesperado67

But that is if that is how that Challenge is set up. This Challenge was this way, and is going to be different to nearly every other Challenge. I believe that variety is definitely the key.

Just changing PP or drive train will get boring after a while. This is where this Challenge succeeds. It is different enough to be unique. If we had a '67 Challenge or Historic Muscle Challenge then you can imagine the way they would go. One would be boring for the tuners that have a car worth less than $10 mil, the other would be highly competitive big blocks that everyone would want to collect.

But nobody knew what this Challenge would throw up. Now we have original Rally Spec cars for all to try. If I want an old rusty piece of ...., then I can try it. If I want a pug then it's also there. But they are there at original spec. That is how this has succeeded, in my opinion.

C-Zeta, can you message me on who needs my special attention please? I will message them and find out what.

But that is if that is how that Challenge is set up. This Challenge was this way, and is going to be different to nearly every other Challenge. I believe that variety is definitely the key.

Just changing PP or drive train will get boring after a while. This is where this Challenge succeeds. It is different enough to be unique. If we had a '67 Challenge or Historic Muscle Challenge then you can imagine the way they would go. One would be boring for the tuners that have a car worth less than $10 mil, the other would be highly competitive big blocks that everyone would want to collect.

But nobody knew what this Challenge would throw up. Now we have original Rally Spec cars for all to try. If I want an old rusty piece of ...., then I can try it. If I want a pug then it's also there. But they are there at original spec. That is how this has succeeded, in my opinion.

C-Zeta, can you message me on who needs my special attention please? I will message them and find out what.
I wasn't complaining about this challenge, just suggesting a method that might be employed in the future that might make tuners feel they were working on a more even playing field.
While I'll bask in the glory of my victory here :gtpflag: part of me still feels I would have had more fun trying to tame an Alpine or Stratos even if they didn't win. Yes that was part of the challenge not getting a car you might prefer, but some people feel they were at an unfair disadvantage due to their luck or lack thereof with the tickets. My suggestion of a future possibility would be for the Event Sponsor to create a pool of cars and then draw cards or roll dice or otherwise randomly assign them to tuners. As I said this is just an idea for a possible future event and not criticism of this one.👍👍

I agree that a future event could be run this way and would work. The pool idea is a good one. But let's not denigrate this Challenge to something that could have been. Each challenge is what you make of it.

And if anyone thinks that I am ever offended, please don't. I do not offend easily. I got banned for 3 days once on GtPlanet for swearing at a guy making fun of disabled people. But that is my only taboo.

Congrats. to you Desperado. Well done. It's fun to know not eveyone likes a certain tune or dives like everyone else. For 3 out of the 4 tuners I placed in the top 4.... but one, dead last. I thought it would have been closer with our two cars, but you by far are the BETER TUNER!!!!! Great job 👍

Thank you testers and tuners for a good shoot-out, now I sleep!:dopey:

Figures I hit my tuning stride just in time for Spec II to come along and make me a complete bumbling idiot again!:dunce::lol:

Congrats. to you Desperado. Well done. It's fun to know not eveyone likes a certain tune or dives like everyone else. For 3 out of the 4 tuners I placed in the top 4.... but one, dead last. I thought it would have been closer with our two cars, but you by far are the BETER TUNER!!!!! Great job 👍

Thank you testers and tuners for a good shoot-out, now I sleep!:dopey:

Sorry about putting your dead last, but your car understeered so much in gravel and tarmac that it wasn't even fun. Maybe it was just me (and from what it appears, it was just me :lol:). But anyway, mine review or anyone else doesn't denigrate what those tunes are. The tune that doesn't work for one, might work for another. It's just the way it goes. You can't satisfy everyone, there will be always someone who will not like. But that's the way the world goes.

Are these 4 testers the only ones there? Lol. I thought there would be more... BTW, shouldn't C-ZETA make an average ranking sheet? Take the average of everyones positioning, and make a list? If not, I'll do it for fun later today :P

I'll have to put up NM's results later, but final results are:

1. XDesperado67 - 10 pts
2. Jackthalad - 8 pts
3. Krenkme - 5 pts
T-4. CyKosis1973 & dr_slump - 1 pt

I'll get the winnings ready later today.

I do have to agree that Despy's Evo was the best all-rounder, wonder how it would perform next to the real Evo VI. Speaking of Evo VI's...could those settings fit on the Premium Evo VI, Desperado? They're both TME's and all, just one's GSR and yours is an RS (and a year younger).

I'll have to put up NM's results later, but final results are:

1. XDesperado67 - 10 pts
2. Jackthalad - 8 pts
3. Krenkme - 5 pts

I do have to agree that Despy's Evo was the best all-rounder, wonder how it would perform next to the real Evo VI. Speaking of Evo VI's...could those settings fit on the Premium Evo VI, Desperado? They're both TME's and all, just one's GSR and yours is an RS (and a year younger).
The trans has one less gear and the powerband is different (I think), but that's all I know for sure.

CyKosis 206:

Tarmac:
Lacks on fun, but sure is comparable in grip terms with the CZ-3 Tarmac tune by dr slump.
Gravel: What a BEAST ! Hold any line I wanted. Any. It left me speechless.
Snow: Car feels good here too. Just lacks fun. Again.

3rd. CyKosis 206 S16

Crikey, and there was me beginning to get a little disillusioned with the whole event. That's three decent write-ups now, so despite re-building the car three times, I must have gotten something right in the end.

I'll hopefully be posting a revised version of this car soon, it'll be running with a little more power, a little less weight and no downforce. Perhaps it'll be a little more fun than this one :sly:

Thank you for your time and efforts, glad you enjoyed the car...

1. XDesperado67 - 10 pts
2. Jackthalad - 8 pts
3. Krenkme - 5 pts

So does this mean I took joint 4th (technically 5th) overall..?? Because I'll fall off my chair if I have. Perhaps if I'd spiked Jack's petrol tank with a handful of sugar, I might have taken 4th out-right... :mischievous:

{Cy}

So then, the prizes.

1st - XDesperado67 - Ten 0/0 rally cars and a Historic Rally Car ticket
2nd - Jackthalad - Five 0/0 rally cars and 30 gears
3rd - krenkme - Two 0/0 rally cars and 7 rare paints

There wasn't a fastest tester as no one gave times but ryangt.

However according to his total times Praiano was the fastest out of the top three so he will receive a 0/0 rally car as well.

All the testers will be given random tickets too.

PM's will be coming to allow the winners to decide the cars they get.

Send me a list and I'll fix up the test side. I will try and help with the others too if I can fit them in.

I already have all the tickets necessary for the testers as there were only three others...however you will be sending the Historic Rally Car ticket to Desperado. If possible if you still have any of the 0/0 rally cars you could help my now 18-day workload :lol: by sending them to the respective people who asked for them.

I'll send you a PM with my free dates after reset. I will also have a list of 0/0 cars for you to check.

Note: There is one car, about a '70 model rally car, that has 20+ changes on it. A friend and I had a drink and turned up the surround and kept changing into the car to listen to it start. We both were sure it would fail to start soon so we kept trying. :dunce:

Wait…how could you 'measure' who had the fastest times? We all tested our cars at different tracks, so if I had done all my tarmac testing at Autumn Ring Mini, I'd win for sure :D

Still, who cares? We all love opening up a ticket. And you still owe me a rally base ticket that you promised me at the start of the shootout, C-ZETA. Send out the prizes first though.

Note: There is one car, about a '70 model rally car, that has 20+ changes on it. A friend and I had a drink and turned up the surround and kept changing into the car to listen to it start. We both were sure it would fail to start soon so we kept trying. :dunce:

If it's a Stratos that's OK, it's not tradeable :lol:

Back