TOCA 3. you know. the ps2 version.

• Thread starter kinigitt
  • 1,059 comments
Last night I gave the PS2 demo a shot. I really enjoyed TOCA 2 and I've been excited about this ever since I heard it was coming out. It looks like this is a nice improvement. I can't wait until the game is available...less than a month now! I expect I'll disappear from gtp and GT4 fow awhile...

I'll be picking this game up (PS2... Would prefer the PC version but my computer would not run it) to satisfy me until GT5.... I really hope this game will be fun for a looong time.

I might get TRD3 for Xbox when that comes out.

I have Race Driver 2 for PC, bought it like a year and half ago. I was very disappointed with it. I have a good PC, and it ran well at the time, but I wasn't impressed. The wheel physics were very lacking, and it just wasn't that much fun.. After I beat the career mode which was quite boring at times (though some parts were pretty good, the truck racing, racing in the Mustang SVT Cobra R, and the Koenig Testarossa). Anyway, after, I played a bit online. It suffered a lot from lag online on the PC version.

Later in 2004, I got a much much better videocard (in very early september) and the game did run many times better, I was able to play at 1152x864 with 4x Anti-Aliasing and many other things, but it didn't really improve the gameplay.

I've heard bad impressions of TRD3 from people who've tried the PC demo. I've got a really nice PC still (well I've still got the same, but I'd assume TRD3 would run well since most really intensive games like FEAR and CoD2 run very well on maximum detail and high resolution), but the wheel physics are prolly lacking, so I dunno. I think I'd rather play it with the Xbox controller and have fun in split screen with my dad. I'll wait and see.

Here are my thougths on the demo:

The demo is quite limited (3 laps max in 3 or 4 cars on 3 or 4 different tracks) but I enjoyed it immensely especially the 2nd & 3rd go around. Initially I used the defaults which results in a bit "arcadish" game play, IMO. But then I went for the "pro-simulation" and couldn't keep the car on the track. Then I tried just turning on the "multi-turn" (I think that's what they call it) which enabled the DFP 900 degree rotation and found it to be challenging but not impossible. All this on "normal" difficulty. In Toca2 I could set the AI where I could not beat them...which makes for fun gameplay compared to almost all other racing games (the ones I've played). It appears that those selections are still available in Toca3. But the physics seems much different...you can turn on sand traps in "pro-simulation" and you almost can't get out of them. This game is going to have a serious flavor of realism that other games do not. Realistic driving, damage (that limits car performance), penalties for rough driving, etc. Not for the faint of heart (if you use "pro-simulation" and the DFP) but it seems that if you want to play bumper cars (like you can in GT4) you can make it so. This seems like a strong improvement over Toca2 and I can't wait to get my hands on the full version, which is now less than a month away. I've read that the PS2 version is better than the original XBOX version for gameplay (I think because of force feedback). Codemasters themselves don't know if the game will even play on the 360. I receved an e-mail from codemasters indicating they would have mirrors in the final game (not in the demo). I played the PC version of Toca2 and a patch came out over a year ago that added mirrors into that so I don't know what the big deal is? Now if you could just "personalize" your car.

Less than 20 days to go and RD3 is gold:D.

I can only think of 2 things missing from this game, the nordschleife and motorcycle racing.

I may buy it on the PS2. My PC is a pain in the arse, and I don't think installing another game on it is going to do much good. Plus, I have the DFP.

926742_20050915_screen001.jpg

Looks like fun... but what the hell has he done to that car?! :(

The DFP works on the PC, I might get it for the PS2 anyway though, the PC version plays like a console port which doesn't go well for PC games. And from what I've gathered, the PS2 version plays better.

I've only played the xbox version but i'l be getting the ps2 version as i have the DFP for it:D

And im sure there arent many differences between ps2 and xbox except graphics.

Who here is going to use the clutch?

Looks like it comes out on the 24th in the EU. Damnit I can't wait that long, I wish dates would be brought forward sometimes.

I'd love to certainly rent this game. The most disappointing one in the series was Pro Race Driver. ToCA R.D. 2 really improved from the last game. And this variant is looking like a $1,000,000 USD (or the currency equivalent of your nation ^_^) and not a penny off. No, the game won't cost $1,000,000, but it is certainly looking like big money. Even though I think I may have the PC for it, I still want to get it for PS2 because I don't know if I can stomach having to restart on and off again just to win the damn race. It's also worth noting that Codemasters pulled out all the stops- sprint car racing, "stock" car and truck racing, British GT, Australian V8s, some monster trucks... should be hot. You can expect me to comment on ToCA R.D. 3 and relate it to the forthcoming GT5 in racing disciplines and variety of races. This is going to blow away many racing game fans, I can assure you.

Here is a car list for those who havnt seen it yet:

Audi A4 DTM
Alpine A110 1600 S Group 4
AMG Mercedes C-Klasse
Ariel Atom
Audi Quattro Sport
Baja Motorcross
BMW M1 Group 4
BMW Formula BMW
BMW Williams FW27
Buik GS455
Caterham 7 Superlight
Chevrolet Corvette L88 Sunray DXX
Chevrolet Silverado
Chevrolet Corvette C5R
Dallara IndyCar
Dodge Charger
Ford Falcon BA
Ford Falcon AU
Formula 1000
Formula 3
Formula Palmer AUdi
Gemballa 750 GTR Evo (Porsche 911 GT3)
GHE GT Light
Holden Commordore VY
Holden Commodore VX
Holden Commodore VZ
Honda Ride-on Lawnmower
Honda 250x
Honda Civic Type R
Honda S2000
Honda NSX
Honda Civic 2006
Koenig GT-D
Koenig GT
Lancia Beta MonteCarlo Turbo
Lancia Stratos
Lotus Type 49
Marcos Mantis
Mari MK9 Max Kart
Mercedes Benz W196
Mercedes Benz W25
MG XPower SV-R
MG ZR Super 1600
Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR Group N
Morgan Aero 8
Mosler MT900 R
Nissan 2004 Dakar Pick up
Nismo Fairlady Z S-Tune
Noble M12 GTO 3R
Opel Vectra GTS V8
Palmer Jaguar JP1
Panoz G-Force IndyCar
Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
Renault Clio Cup
Renault Clio Sport V6
Strana Supertruck
Subaru Impreza 22B STi
Subaru Impreza N10 (Group N)
TVR T400r
Turnham Sandframe
Ultima GTR
Ultima CanAm
Vauxhall Monaro
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Volkswagen Race-Touareg
Volkswagen Beetle Baja Bug
Williams FW11b
Williams FW18
WSC Sprint Car

:)

And a Track List: Note:

Hockenheim: GP, National and Short
Lausitzring Eurospeedway
Norisring
Nurburgring
Motorpark Oscherschleben: B and C circuits
Zandvoort: Full, Short, Club and Oojsvelt...
Brno
Adelaide
Pukekhoe Park Raceway
Barbagello: Long, V8 and Short
Eastern Creek: GP Short and Southern
Shanghai
Hidden Valley
Queensland Raceway
Oran Park: GP, South and North
Sandown Internationl Raceway
Bathurst
Gold Coast Surfers Paradise
Symmons Plain Raceway
Phillip Island
Donington Park: GP and Short
Mondello Park: International, National and Short
Snetterton
Castle Combe
Oulton Park: Short, Island and GP
Silverstone: GP, Short and a few others
Manama Bahrain International Circuit: GP, Internal and External
Spa-Francorchamps
Indianapolis
Sepang
Nashville Superspeedway
Dover International Raceway
Gateway International Raceway
Laguna Seca
Istanbul Park Circuit
Bedford Autodrome: GT, North, East, South and West circuits
Gateway International Raceway Road course
3 UK Rally Courses
3 International Rallycross circuits
2 Go Kart circuits
5 National Dirt Raceways

:)

JohnBM01
I'd love to certainly rent this game. The most disappointing one in the series was Pro Race Driver.

Did you get the BTCC championship in the US edition?

That car list is quite amazing, I can't wait to drive the Aerial Atom, but damn I want to ride the ride on lawn mower at the nurb!!!!

ND4SPD
That car list is quite amazing, I can't wait to drive the Aerial Atom, but damn I want to ride the ride on lawn mower at the nurb!!!!
:lol:

How would you ride on a lawnmower anyway? Are there any pics of this?

Ashley.
Here is a car list for those who havnt seen it yet:

Ariel Atom

Oh nice, I wonder what it will look like? I'd imagine they'd have to fashion a driver. :dopey:

:rolleyes: Figures they'd add a Vette but not a Viper.

VIPFREAK
:rolleyes: Figures they'd add a Vette but not a Viper.

It's an incomplete car list, ive seen cars in the demo not mentioned on the list so maybe theres still hope for a Viper..

You may laugh at the notion of lawn mowers used (technically, it's a tractor, right?) in a racing game like this. But would you be surprised if I told you that lawn mowers are actually used in competition? For example, we have in America, the USLMRA, or the United States Lawn Mower Racing Association. Take a look:

http://www.letsmow.com/

I even had the privledge to watch a few lawn mower races on TV. This is grassroots (no pun intended) racing. You have to modify tractors to a certain spec to compete. In circuit racing, keep the car out of the wall. In lawn mower racing, keep the lawn mower out of the hay. Tracks are normally lined with bales of hay and range from ovals to road courses. So there are people who take this seriously. People will surely take go-karting seriously, even more so with lawn mowers. Who'd want to race a lawn mower? There are people out there to take these to the track... or to the lawn... or wherever.

JohnBM01
You may laugh at the notion of lawn mowers used (technically, it's a tractor, right?) in a racing game like this. But would you be surprised if I told you that lawn mowers are actually used in competition? For example, we have in America, the USLMRA, or the United States Lawn Mower Racing Association. Take a look:

http://www.letsmow.com/

I even had the privledge to watch a few lawn mower races on TV. This is grassroots (no pun intended) racing. You have to modify tractors to a certain spec to compete. In circuit racing, keep the car out of the wall. In lawn mower racing, keep the lawn mower out of the hay. Tracks are normally lined with bales of hay and range from ovals to road courses. So there are people who take this seriously. People will surely take go-karting seriously, even more so with lawn mowers. Who'd want to race a lawn mower? There are people out there to take these to the track... or to the lawn... or wherever.

We have a fairly healthy 'scene' over this side of the pond too John:

http://www.racemower.co.uk/

Races include the famous 12hr enduro event every July

This track looks pretty good - i'm tempted to get a team together myself...

Here they show the scores from the reviews of TOCA 3 by PSM Magazine and GamePro. :sly:
I really hope the PS2 version works with my Momo Racing wheel. :nervous:

I have a question for people who have played the demo, especially Amar ...

Would you say the physics (as a whole) are more or less realistic than GT4, and why?

The Clio V6's will rock and then the whole world will join my We Love Clios Club

Ashley.

That single pic is responsible for alot of droolage. Based on the Rothmans livery Williams F1 car, I loved that car so much! :dopey:

Latest Posts

Back