PS3 General Discussion

BUMP

Blu-ray Movie Prices Revealed

The High Definition format battle heats up with Sony Pictures taking the first swing by announcing the studio's first Blu-ray Disc movie pricing structure.

The company announced today that a portfolio of Blu-ray Disc movies will come to suppliers at a slightly increased market price of $23.45. This puts the price of Blu-ray movies approximately 15% higher, compared to what suppliers are charging now for new release DVDs. Other classic Blu-ray Disc titles will sell for $17.95.

"The premium is for a way better format and to remind retailers that at the time we launched DVD, VHS was selling for $55 wholesale in the first window," Benjamin Feingold, President of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment explained. "The higher pricing structure for new releases is meant to accommodate the sell-through and rental markets."

Sony Pictures also announced that the DVD-UMD bundles would slowly turn into BDR-UMD bundles in the future. On March 28th, consumers can buy DVD-UMD packs of The Grudge, Resident Evil, Underworld, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Terminator. Each pack will be priced at $28.95.

"With the launch of Blu-ray, we're going to try to introduce the managed-copy concept, where if you buy Blu-ray you'll be able to get additional versions (of the same title) to use in your home. Ultimately, we might even get to the point where we'll offer consumers the ability to have different versions of the same movie on different devices in the home -- that's something we're working on."

That's actually not bad, IMO, a little higher than DVD's were when they released, but certainly not as bad as I thought they were going to be.

I find it interesting about how they want to introduce "managed-copy" to the industry. I'm curious to see as to how this works.

I think ultimately we'll see some releases using dual device discs as made by JVC, which will be able to play on both Blu-Ray players for HD and DVD players for regualr out put. I'm excited.

Good stuff, Solid. 👍 Keep the latest news coming! :D

tha_con
That's actually not bad, IMO, a little higher than DVD's were when they released, but certainly not as bad as I thought they were going to be.
Same here. I was thiking along lines of $25 - $30 for the Blu-ray DVDs. I bet they are thinning the studio's profit margin, so they can keep up(or down) with the pricing of HD-DVDs. Also, Blu-ray discs manufacturing cost will come down, once everybody starts buying them.

Well, I think we'll still see that price margin, as that is what the retailer will mark up most likely.

Remember, these are only manufacturer prices from Sony, the price they'll charge for the movies to send, whatever the retailer has will be marked up a little to cover their profit, probably to that 25-30 margin.

tha_con
Well, I think we'll still see that price margin, as that is what the retailer will mark up most likely.

Remember, these are only manufacturer prices from Sony, the price they'll charge for the movies to send, whatever the retailer has will be marked up a little to cover their profit, probably to that 25-30 margin.
I don't know, I thought $23.45 was the MSRP. I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want the public to know how much profit BestBuy is adding on to their DVDs........

a6m5
I don't know, I thought $23.45 was the MSRP. I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want the public to know how much profit BestBuy is adding on to their DVDs........
No, those are the SUPPLIERS prices, which means MSRP will be higher. So, expect to pay $29.99 for new movies, and $24.99 for old new movies. This info was taken from a Industry Website for those in the business of movie video disk rentals and sales.

Gotcha. My bad, guys! As I've said before, $25-$30 was my guess, so I guess there were no surprises after all. Darn! :D

slackbladder
The PS3 is to be shown at the Taipei Game Show Feb 16 - 20. www.gamespot.com
No idea if it'll actually show anything new but still you never know!
Yep, I already read about this. I went to the website that is holding this event, and they had nothing there to offer. But, somebody said Sony will have something like 60 to 80 booths, and twenty are for the PS3. Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean...

LaBounti
Its a good price if you ask me, considering BD is not a dvd replacement but a HD luxury like the Tv's.

Okay, let me clarify something. You do understand that HD is becoming a STANDARD world wide correct? That there are actually bills in place in the united states so that all television will be HD by the year 2008, and those without HDTV's will have to purchase converters? It's not like this is a "fad" it is going to be a STANDARD.

With that said, Blu-Ray may be a year early, but it will by no means be a "luxury" just "like the TV's". This is something that is going to be standard.

I think he meant right now, they're a luxury, like DVD's were when they first came out. Not that they still will be in a couple of years time.

live4speed
I think he meant right now, they're a luxury, like DVD's were when they first came out. Not that they still will be in a couple of years time.

eh, I figure if 24% of the US population now owns HDTV's, which is growing by about 3-5% every three to six months...I think it's becoming less and less of a luxery as day's go by.

I'm pretty sure that when users view movies in HD and see them on display at best buy, it will surely entice them to save up and buy the newer TV's. I don't think they are a "luxury" so much as they are becoming must have items.

I'm confident that when the PS3 releases, HDTV's will have a US market penetration of about 30% easily, being as there are more and more HD devices on the market, mainly, the Xbox 360, that will push users to buy new TV's.

But were talking globally, the US isn't the representative of the world. Here in the UK for example, almost no-one has a HD-TV yet, it's the same for the rest of Europe. We will start seeing them in the shops more and more, but right now, no-one needs them, they're a luxury. The next TV I buy will probably be a HD-TV, but I won't be buying one until what I have stops working. It's a damn nice TV I've got at the moment and it doesn't need replacing. Theres no market yet for HD-TV's over here, we have no HD chanels, or anyting really to take advantage of it yet.

There's the National Geographic HD channel :D

The thing is, with digital TV, most people don't see that bad a signal. What you have to realise is, is that there is already a huge difference bewteen the stardard quality in the US and the standard quality in the UK and rest of Europe. So most people don't see the difference between normal and HD as clearly as in the US

Yep our standard definition is already higher than their standard definition. HD is still better, it's not a world of difference though, people don't have any great need for it. Yes it's good, yes it's an improvment, but right now no-one wants to spend so much to have it.

But whatever way you look at it, from the US or not, right now HD TV's are a luxury, they arn't a nesseisity, and they arn't a standard, so they're a luxury.

This Spring according to Sony, we might find out for certain in less than a week.

live4speed

That is what i meant live. Tha_con is jumping the gun big time.

tha_con
It's not like this is a "fad" it is going to be a STANDARD.

Wow Blu-ray is the new standard(sarcasim)? I didn't say anything about digital TV signals.

LaBounti
That is what i meant live. Tha_con is jumping the gun big time.

Wow Blu-ray is the new standard(sarcasim)? I didn't say anything about digital TV signals.

I hardly call 12 months jumping the gun.

You can wait if you want, but I know for a fact that in 12 months HDTV is going to get the push of it's lifetime, from TV, broadcasters, motion picture studios, and hardware manufacturers.

So, call it a "luxury" if you want, but you can buy a fully capable HDTV that can output between 420p and 1080i for around $800.

You can pick up a DLP with many more features for around $1500-$2000.

12 months, I expect those prices to reduce by 20%. So, you wait, but I think you all have entirely too little understanding. HDTV was a luxury a year ago, but when 1/4th of the US population owns them, it becomes less of a luxury.

Also, I did not say Blu-Ray was a standard, I spoke clearly about HDTV, not sure where that confusion came in on your part.

Poverty
So whens it coming out?
Check the very first post in this thread. I'll try to update it with accurate info. Right now, it's only speculation, but it's reliables speculation which is why I posted the release date.

EDIT: New Info!

Hands-On with PS3!

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200602/065_p1.asp

Sony will offer monetary support to PS3 game developers in Korea

Who said Sony has no plan for Sony PS3 online? Today Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios Japan (SCE WWSJ) and Korea IT Industry Promotion Agency (KIPA) announced a joint venture to bring the PS3 online service to Korea. The new service called WA will support small to mid-sized Korean developers in the hope of producing quality online games for the PlayStation 3.

To encourage local business, development houses that are selected will receive monetary and technical backing from Sony. KIPA will supply funding for development of game prototypes., with SCE WWSJ taking over funding once the game hits full development. SCE WWSJ will also supply developers with technical support and free PS3 development kit rentals.

After the initial screening, prototypes will begin in Jully. Once the prototype has been presented and reviewed, if deemed worth, full development wll begin. Once development is complete, SCE WWSJ will then determine if th game will be given a full release. Titles which are given the green light, will first be released in Japan, followed by Korea.

Of course if the title is released with success in Japan and Korea there is always the possibility of a North American release as well. Both KIPA and SCE WWSJ offering funding in hopes to give small and mid sized Korean developers worldwide exposure.

About that Kikizo article. Is that genuine or hot air?:confused: I have a tendancy not to believe what I read!:dopey:
I did find some of it a little stupid, particularly about HD. I really do not believe anyone was expecting 1080p games from the off. So to criticise the PS3's first games for not having it is disingenuous.

Anyway, it's a bit of a coup for Kikizo (if it's trustworthy).

slackbladder
About that Kikizo article. Is that genuine or hot air?:confused: I have a tendancy not to believe what I read!:dopey:
I did find some of it a little stupid, particularly about HD. I really do not believe anyone was expecting 1080p games from the off. So to criticise the PS3's first games for not having it is disingenuous.

Anyway, it's a bit of a coup for Kikizo (if it's trustworthy).
I agree. What really is interesting is how this writer claims the Killzone 2 trailer was more impressive and better than the MGS4 trailer, which to my eyes, it was not. Something is odd about his statements.

Is it me or is that site very slow at loading :( from what i read (pages 1 & 2) it seems that they may have had a look at dev kit's which those who know what that means knows it means tosh. but it dose give some sort of idea to what we can expect. Games are not finished, hardware isnt final, means what they saw was about 30% of what will be the finished product. plus with the semi late arrival of dev kits, the code is still based on PC architecture, also who were the developers? they could have been low down in the quality of developers ladder. im still waiting till we see final code of games running either this E3 or TGS.

[edit]

Just finished reading the article and what a load of pants.

Sprite
Im still waiting till we see final code of games running either this E3 or TGS.

And im sticking to it.

BTW thanks for the link Solid.

tha_con
I hardly call 12 months jumping the gun.

You can wait if you want, but I know for a fact that in 12 months HDTV is going to get the push of it's lifetime, from TV, broadcasters, motion picture studios, and hardware manufacturers.

So, call it a "luxury" if you want, but you can buy a fully capable HDTV that can output between 420p and 1080i for around $800.

You can pick up a DLP with many more features for around $1500-$2000.

12 months, I expect those prices to reduce by 20%. So, you wait, but I think you all have entirely too little understanding. HDTV was a luxury a year ago, but when 1/4th of the US population owns them, it becomes less of a luxury.

Also, I did not say Blu-Ray was a standard, I spoke clearly about HDTV, not sure where that confusion came in on your part.

It started by you bringing up HDTV signals that I never mentioned, notice when i was being sarcastic. And you are still carrying on about HDTV, stuff I already know about. No need to debate I clearly understand HDTV's purpose and future standards. and it is a luxury in my opinion. and as smart as you are you are missing a few things with your prices. no one said anyone had to get a flatpanel TV. A 27 crt HDTV can be had for around $380

Back