The Photography Thread

• Thread starter CDailey
  • 3,605 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
A small update before I get my new lens (I ordered a Nikkor 50mm f1.8), can someone please tell me if the colour/light levels look OK because I'm using my old iBook G4 at my parents house and the screen is terrible!

Levels are right to me using my "probably should calibrate it again soon" 24" Dell. But both pics are oversaturated for my tastes.

I went out to the garden the other day to take some pictures of the flowers and here are a few of the ones that I thought turned out OK. I tried the unsharp mask on the second image and I am not very sure if I like what it did or not.

dsc01950ee4.jpg

dsc01955sq5.jpg

dsc01985rs2.jpg

Any advice? The subjects are boring, and I don't think the editing can change that. Anyone like anything they see? Or not? Feedback is more helpful for me than you think; I have pretty poor self-critique capabilities.

well, you're right about the subjects being boring but you did a good job of presenting them in a way that makes them more interesting than they actually are. still though; they don't really hold my attention.
your photoshopping is for what you do pretty spot on. i'm not a fan of messing with shadows or highlights too munch. i've seen you do damn fine work with it on cars but i don't know if it works on it here. the sky being blown out is a distraction also. hope this comes across as constructive criticism and not me being a dick.

anti, i love your glitched photo. I must try that out some time. your other stuff is really cool too.

thanks sir.

well, you're right about the subjects being boring but you did a good job of presenting them in a way that makes them more interesting than they actually are. still though; they don't really hold my attention.
your photoshopping is for what you do pretty spot on. i'm not a fan of messing with shadows or highlights too munch. i've seen you do damn fine work with it on cars but i don't know if it works on it here. the sky being blown out is a distraction also. hope this comes across as constructive criticism and not me being a dick.

Completely constructive, and it helps a lot. It feels like a personal fad, this Lightroom stuff, so I'm not worried it will taint too much of my work. That being said, I have found some automotive photographers who never lay off the exaggerated levels but it still doesn't come across as annoying. I guess it's a matter of finding a good balance between complimentary post-production and quality photography to begin with.

👍

I tried skyline's LR settings - man they look great with the right shot:
20080313schoolspaintripng2.jpg

EDIT: Another one
20080408hongkong25of200of5.jpg

My magazine which got owned in the rain.
(post 3425)
It definitely caught my attention and held it for a while. I was trying to work out what it was before I read the rest of your post. In combination with the background it certainly works for me 👍

AMG.

(post 3425)
It definitely caught my attention and held it for a while. I was trying to work out what it was before I read the rest of your post. In combination with the background it certainly works for me 👍

AMG.
Thanks! 👍 That's my bathroom floor in the background. I went in there because it has the strongest lights in our house.

I sent that picture, along with a message, to the magazine company asking for a replacement. I've been a subsriber for five years! But I've heard nothing.

Bastards. I'll have to buy another copy from the store now. :(

The market? That was in Hong Kong, the street above it was Spain and the B&W I just posted was in London.

who are you to say no, indeed. I'd only complain of the light, its just so on top of the car the sides look shady, shoulda shot it at down or well in the afternoon, but the compoisition is great on most of them.

action shot and the second picture are my faves (:

who are you to say no, indeed. I'd only complain of the light, its just so on top of the car the sides look shady, shoulda shot it at down or well in the afternoon, but the compoisition is great on most of them.

action shot and the second picture are my faves (:

Yeah shooting in mid day 110 degree weather sucks, but that was the only time he had available and he needed the pics so he could post the car on ebay so I made do with what I had to.

Yeah shooting in mid day 110 degree weather sucks, but that was the only time he had available and he needed the pics so he could post the car on ebay so I made do with what I had to.

Yeah, I know what that is, I had to shot a BLACK 77 Trans Am with that light once, had to work PS magic to get the pics to be worth a dang, because I traveled for two hours just to shot the car and the guy turned up late -_-

Yeah, I know what that is, I had to shot a BLACK 77 Trans Am with that light once, had to work PS magic to get the pics to be worth a dang, because I traveled for two hours just to shot the car and the guy turned up late -_-

yeah black is like worst case scenario, sick cars but the swirl marks and difficulty shooting make it a PITA

Just got me a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens.....it's friggin' awesome! :D Not only does it make for brilliant portrait work but it gives some interesting shots when reversed into my 18-55mm kit lens.

macro1gj5.jpg

fifty2jl8.jpg

macro2td8.jpg

macro3oe4.jpg

Caught that Porsche again, it's good practice. I don't really know what kind of pavement gets nice and reflecty in the rain, but I got bored of waiting for this lot to get slick enough to produce reflections. I guess I'm trying to find a good little zone on the post-production where things aren't looking too overdone. I also tend to go towards a less saturated colour amount.

102-15.jpg

Too much tension around the edges here, but I had no choice, I couldn't really shoot further/higher.

105-10.jpg

This shot is my prefered shot of the set.

109-1.jpg

Also found an IS-F. I wish I took more time to get some better pictures of this one. I didn't think I took so few until I got home. There was some interesting things going on behind it with construction and other buildings. Also a shame that the red Z3 was parked up so close that I couldn't get a reverse angle.

101-15.jpg

402.jpg

I like this shot more.

401.jpg

Comments are very appreciated, as usual. You guys are good help.

PS - I'll be actually hitting my 10,000th frame in the next week or two, any suggestions for what I should shoot for the big MMMMMMMMMM?

Your 'preferred shot' of the Porsche is spot on. The rest of the shots are nice enough but compared to that one back end photo they don't stand out quite as much. I love how perfectly it's parked there!

Your 'preferred shot' of the Porsche is spot on. The rest of the shots are nice enough but compared to that one back end photo they don't stand out quite as much. I love how perfectly it's parked there!

Yeah looking at the set with fresh eyes, the others don't seem as good as the back of the Porsche. I kind of like the portrait of the F though. They're all too dark, I should turn on more lights before I edit next time I guess.

Thanks for the feedback though.

I'm fixing to get a major change in income for the good, the job i am waiting to get (im getting it, but its going to take a few months) will give my household about a 60k jump a year so i will be getting some stuff i have always wanted but couldn't afford. What is the best lens for portraits in everyones opinion? The camera is a Nikon D80. It took so long of saving to get the cameras i have that i never could afford to get a better lens, always had the kit lens. Had D70S, D50 and now have the D80. Sold the D70S to purchase the D80 and kept the D50 so my wife and I would have a camera for each of us for when we do weddings.

50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8

Both are very good lenses, especially for portraiture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back