The Photography Thread

• Thread starter CDailey
  • 3,605 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the D40 for a few weeks, seemed like a toned down version of a D50 to me. I sold it to a friend and about 2 months after he had auto focus problems. It wasn't the lens because i switched them out with one with a servo and no help there, so its the camera. It takes good shots for a DSLR that only requires you to Point and shoot, but i really done know about how the lasting of them are since he's had all the problems already. I only used it once and sold it to him so its not like it was abused and used. If i had the choice, i would go with a D200, or the 300 WAY over the D40.

I think anyone would. In fact, if you'd like to donate $1,200 my way, I'd snap one up in a heartbeat. :lol:

Anyway, that sucks about your D40. I'm still going to stick with the entry-level camera and instead buy better glass. Just look at the photos from Jibbo on Flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/markgibson/

Hopefully the "D90"-- or whatever they will call the D80's successor-- will have 1/500 flash sync and also have at least 5fps (double the D40) continuous shooting. That would be a great step up for me if I needed the added speed.

See, when I start doing Kendo again, I'd like to start photographing it as well. I'm pretty sure I'd need the 1/500 flash sync because it's an indoor sport and the tip of the sword moves awfully fast during the swing. I think it would be cool too as one of the guys from my club is a professional photographer and another is a pro/hobbyist (I guess freelancer?) since he retired from his regular career.

Natural light > Flash, most of the time. Just buy a lens with a large max. aperture (f/1.4-f/1.8) and crank the ISO up.

I think anyone would. In fact, if you'd like to donate $1,200 my way, I'd snap one up in a heartbeat. :lol:

Anyway, that sucks about your D40. I'm still going to stick with the entry-level camera and instead buy better glass. Just look at the photos from Jibbo on Flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/markgibson/

Hopefully the "D90"-- or whatever they will call the D80's successor-- will have 1/500 flash sync and also have at least 5fps (double the D40) continuous shooting. That would be a great step up for me if I needed the added speed.

See, when I start doing Kendo again, I'd like to start photographing it as well. I'm pretty sure I'd need the 1/500 flash sync because it's an indoor sport and the tip of the sword moves awfully fast during the swing. I think it would be cool too as one of the guys from my club is a professional photographer and another is a pro/hobbyist (I guess freelancer?) since he retired from his regular career.

And flash sync doesnt matter unless you do high speed photography using flashes. I think that hes far more likely to take a pic he likes, and printing it large to frame and put in his house rather than needing flash sync. Just saying, its a nice feature to have, because anyone who enjoys photography would love to print their own work and have it displayed in their house. And 6.1 megapixels isnt good for much larger than an 8x10.

I do however understand your reasons for purchasing a d40, afterall, lenses make a huge difference as well, and they can be just as expensive.

First, I would like to point out that referencing a random photographers flickr page isn't the best idea to judge the cameras abilities. Dpreview yoooooooooo.
Do yourself a favour Omnis and get a D80. You'll be happier if you do. The D40 is too stripped down and bare. As said, it's basically a point and shoot. A lot of the times I see photographer's buy these cameras and after a month or so they have already out grown them. Start with a D80 and it will last you quite sometime. That way you can invest in glass instead of picking up a new camera in the near future. You could always go Canon.

Also about the SB-400 omnis, i got to borrow a SB-800 and damn that was a nice flash. I had used the 400 before and it was nice also, but if it was me i would save a little more and get the 800 because it made a world of change in the way photos turned out using it. I hate using a flash at all but with it i didn't mind because they didn't have a flat look to them. I plan on buying one as soon as i start bringing in some more money. Haven't done anything in a few months photography wise, and thats where i got my money to upgrade my stuff.

20080531172048_f1000002.jpg

holga
20080531170622_buildings.jpg

Okay, I'd like to thank all of you for your input before responding to your recommendations individually. I'm in no rush so it's good to get feedback.

First, I would like to point out that referencing a random photographers flickr page isn't the best idea to judge the cameras abilities. Dpreview yoooooooooo.
Do yourself a favour Omnis and get a D80. You'll be happier if you do. The D40 is too stripped down and bare. As said, it's basically a point and shoot. A lot of the times I see photographer's buy these cameras and after a month or so they have already out grown them. Start with a D80 and it will last you quite sometime. That way you can invest in glass instead of picking up a new camera in the near future. You could always go Canon.

About the random flickr pages: Word. I agree. I was just pointing in that direction to justify my priority of glass over camera. I'm sure I won't be taking pictures that well, but, it demonstrates some good capabilities-- and that pictures are only, in most cases, as good as the photographer that takes them.

I don't know if I could buy a D80 though. If I was gonna spend 800 bucks on a camera, I might as well buy a D200 or something that captures more fps like a 40D. Maybe I would be better served with a 40D. I don't know.

You make a good point though, and I'll keep it in mind.

And flash sync doesnt matter unless you do high speed photography using flashes. I think that hes far more likely to take a pic he likes, and printing it large to frame and put in his house rather than needing flash sync. Just saying, its a nice feature to have, because anyone who enjoys photography would love to print their own work and have it displayed in their house. And 6.1 megapixels isnt good for much larger than an 8x10.

I do however understand your reasons for purchasing a d40, afterall, lenses make a huge difference as well, and they can be just as expensive.

Indeed. Most of my shooting would probably be indoors, so I figure it would be best to have the highest flash sync.

Natural light > Flash, most of the time. Just buy a lens with a large max. aperture (f/1.4-f/1.8) and crank the ISO up.

I'd rather buy a more versatile lens, but since I'm not yet willing to spend that kind of money I think flash would be more important for me. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Also about the SB-400 omnis, i got to borrow a SB-800 and damn that was a nice flash. I had used the 400 before and it was nice also, but if it was me i would save a little more and get the 800 because it made a world of change in the way photos turned out using it. I hate using a flash at all but with it i didn't mind because they didn't have a flat look to them. I plan on buying one as soon as i start bringing in some more money. Haven't done anything in a few months photography wise, and thats where i got my money to upgrade my stuff.

I just figured the SB-400 would be a good match for the D40 since it's compact and since it's probably all the D40 would need anyway. One of the guys from my Kendo club has an SB-800 and a whole bunch of other flash units that he sets up around the perimeter of the floor during the tournaments that he goes to. Wireless flash is cool.

Great pics, but you kinda got caught with your hand in the cookie jar in the first pic. :)

Some pics of my new car until I get my rims. I haven't had a chance to bust out the car rig yet but hopefully soon.

ah, damn you, you have a car rig.

That's my next buy along with a stabilized lens; pretty sick pictures, the location is awesome dude, I'd use it in a hurry too. What lens?

Edit: Forgett it, already saw its a 10 mm; sick lens too.

Holy hell, the last two shots are amazing. That was with the ultrawide w/ circular polarizer?

I'm thinking of getting a ghetto ultrawide filter for like 25$ instead of dropping 550$ on thefull blown 10-20 Sigmer. Any thoughts? Will the quality be that bad?

It's kind of underexposed. I don't know what's going on with some of those photoshopped parts. Composition is lacking; and the subject matter is pretty boring.

Once again, comments and criticism would be greatly appreciated :)

DSC_0334.jpg

Yeah, I can't tell what the subject is. Composition seems to be more culinary-sourced rather than a photographic problem. But, I would deepen the dof so at least that whole plate is in focus.

My first attempt at a panoramic image. Bear in mind I had no tripod and (stupidly) didn't have the camera set up on full manual. :dunce:

That's pretty cool. Is that like some kind of negative, or is that the final picture? I'm familiar with pinholes, but not the process of making/developing pictures with them.

Anyway, I think I'm going to save up for a 40D instead of getting the D40 right away. 6.5 fps for only a few hundred more as opposed to 1500 more would probably be better for me.

Hopefully Nikon will release the D90 soon so that I can make the best decision.

That's pretty cool. Is that like some kind of negative, or is that the final picture? I'm familiar with pinholes, but not the process of making/developing pictures with them.

In a sense its a both,it is a negative but you do it straight onto light sensitive paper,but didnt have time to turn it into a "positive" picture so will have to do it next week.

Some of the others i did didnt come out too well though,not enough exposure time.

Uhh what? how the hell can you take a pictue through a coke can? Similar to pinhole photography?

Anyway, onto my main subject, tonight was cool!
We've been having a few storms here recently, a week ago we had the worst storm so far this year, the lightning was flashing at least 20-30 flashes a minute, but it was impossible to take photos cos it was raining the hardest i've eevr seen it in my life, also the flashes of lightning were just that, flashes, no bolts....

Tonight was much the same, except without the rain, so i found a good spot up on the banks before the beach (on a small set of steps, flanked with concrete both sides, umbrella above just in case, this was perfect for keeping my camera safe and out of the elements) I was hoping for some bolts, but after 30-odd 15 sec exposures i gave up and came away with just 4 photos of 'flashes' (not bolts :grumpy:)

img35171ssk9.jpg

img35271syh3.jpg

Literally the moment i'd finished packing up my camera and tripod, the biggest flash so far, and fairly close too clashed away...1 silly sausage...

I stood waiting for another, but nothing. I'd had enough.
Got in the car and instead of driving straight home i decided to see if there was any point changing locations, so i drove slowly up towards where the storm was headed. It'd already started to rain steadily by this point.

I swear to god what happened next was enough to have me swearing out loud (as i did). A massive flash of light lit up everything as if it were strong sunlight and at the same time (no silly sausages!) my ears were filled with an allmighty Boom (pretty much like a gun going off). I didnt see exactly where it hit, but im pretty sure i was within 100 meters of it, i could even feel it as it struck the earth (or whatever). Damn, how many of you guys have ever been that close to a strike?

sorry for the frikkin story but, well im a little pumped! :D

I swear to god what happened next was enough to have me swearing out loud (as i did). A massive flash of light lit up everything as if it were strong sunlight and at the same time (no silly sausages!) my ears were filled with an allmighty Boom (pretty much like a gun going off). I didnt see exactly where it hit, but im pretty sure i was within 100 meters of it, i could even feel it as it struck the earth (or whatever). Damn, how many of you guys have ever been that close to a strike?

sorry for the frikkin story but, well im a little pumped! :D
I have. :crazy:

I've been within' 100m of a strike.

But the 'boom' was more like a cannon or some other deafening noise rather than a gunshot. When it booms, you can 100% feel it as well. 👍 :scared:

But the 'boom' was more like a cannon or some other deafening noise rather than a gunshot. When it booms, you can 100% feel it as well. 👍 :scared:

Waay OT but...

Well to be honest i've never really heard a proper gun going off so i wouldnt really know, maybe i underestimated it a bit (or overestimated the 'gun') come to think of it, if it was loud enough that you could feel it, it must have at least been a cannon!

Honestly its not the loudest thing i've ever heard, but i was inside a fairly noiseless car so maybe if i was outide it would have been. The loudest thing i've heard was a top fuel dragster pummeling santa pod at 5.066, that felt incredible! :D cant wait to go back in july :D

sorry for OT :P

I know I am taking a risk showing my amatureness by taking pictures of flowers but these in my front yard looking awesome this year.

picture180ap3.jpg

picture184fp7.jpg

picture185up2.jpg

picture186ci8.jpg

picture266ie6.jpg

picture268nn1.jpg

picture269qa2.jpg

picture270ci2.jpg

picture271pc7.jpg

picture272rz2.jpg

picture273gy5.jpg

picture276hx4.jpg

one struck my house; and i was sleeping about 20 feet away from contact point which was a bit above the window of my room. melted bits of shingles, blew up everything plugged in the room and some other stuff through out the house. it served as a good excuse to get a new tv.

I had other ones that were a lot sharper and more in focused but this is the only one where they were in a decent "pose".

DSC_0493.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back