The Photography Thread

• Thread starter CDailey
  • 3,605 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8

Both are very good lenses, especially for portraiture.

Thanks, i guess i will just go with that and see if there is another one that anyone else says to look at. Is there a certain brand that you prefer that you feel shines above the rest?

Nikon lenses of course. ;)

But Sigma, Tamron and Tokina make very good lenses, just make sure you read reviews first.

MCM__Number_One_by_GTRacer.jpg

I don't think there's any way in hell I could use a d50 for a wedding.

If you're going with 1.8, get a Nikon. Sigma has a few 1.8 lenses but they just can't compare to what Nikon has to offer in that category.

I don't think there's any way in hell I could use a d50 for a wedding.

I could, and intend to! One of my friends wants to get married very soon and she wants me to go take the photos so everyone is more relaxed, she wants none of those set up shots where everyone looks like robots! :lol:

I love your shot with the pylons in by the way, I would buy something like that as a print! 👍

Just some quick "walk out into my backyard and snap a picture" pictures:

clouds2et0.jpg

cloudsfw5.jpg

Some of you might know i got a new camera from the "show off latest purchase" thread.

Here is an entry from me, a complete photo noob. Unedited, straight from camera

dsc0044eo2.jpg

I don't like to cross-post, but I figure I would get better photography critique and whatnot by posting these shots in here as opposed to my thread in the Automotive Photos and Videos section.
Photos are from a nice drive through the hills that my friends and I went on yesterday, we found a pretty spot near a vineyard and stopped for some pics.

Cars pictured are a red Mitsubishi Lancer 2.4, burgundy Peugeot 206 GTi, red Alfa Romeo 156 JTS and a gold Toyota Camry V6. All manual transmission. :P

The camera was a Canon Powershot S3 IS.

Critiques appreciated.

The first shot looks very professional, the colour balance is interesting and makes the shot unique, and the composition isn't too bad either but in all of the shots, the cars seem a little bit too far to the left or right. I feel that some of the shots would have been better had the cars been framed centrally.

That Alfa deserves a head on shot. ;)

The first shot looks very professional, the colour balance is interesting and makes the shot unique, and the composition isn't too bad either but in all of the shots, the cars seem a little bit too far to the left or right. I feel that some of the shots would have been better had the cars been framed centrally.

I don't know about that cetrally framed bit, but they do look a little strange. I think having them just a tad more central so they escape the vignetting and not looking outside the frame but towards the middle would've done miles of good. They're nice shots nonetheless (but the Camry sticks out like, well, a Camry in a line of attractive cars).

Thanks for the tips guys. I do see what you mean about the off centre thing, now that I look at it they do seem to be not off centre enough or not central enough.. yeah, a little bit too left or too right. Something that could be fixed with some creative cropping perhaps? Hmm... I might have a look through all the other pics I took and see if anything might be better to photoshop up a bit and upload.
And I'm afraid I couldn't do much about the Camry, I'm too polite to tell my friend I don't want to take pics of his car because its... well, a Camry :P

Heres one i took today

Again, im a noob with little clue of what im doing. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated :)

DSC_0108.jpg

Haha yeah, I was going through all my old shots.
2519711012_d761ca4e2d.jpg

2518877205_6a623f3090.jpg

Something newer then. :lol:

so I know this is a totally wrong area, but I'd rather have the opinions of people I deal with on a more constant basis than the whole forum at large. plus photographers have better eyes haha.

which would look best on an ivory pearl G35? These are matte black not glossy:

black with red:
redls9.jpg

plain black:
blackku9.jpg

crap rush photoshop job:
tenzogul0.jpg

Straight black. Red adds another color that isn't anywhere else on the car except the tail lights and I think it's needs more than that to tie it together.

Straight black. I always thought black with red was a little too amateur do-it-yourself style on cars, that someone does on their steelies during the long winter months to make themselves feel their car is "custom" and better-looking. You know, something a Volkswagen owner would do :P

I would go with red only if you have some kind of red badge/window sticker. Beyond that, I wouldn't even go with black.

Black all the way, of course everyone of my cars have had black rims on them so they are always in favor with me. Unless its something like a muscle car then most of the time polished aluminum in the look of torque thrust's fits nice.

What would be a good camera to start off with? I think I'd like to dabble in photography a bit more than i have before, but I'm not real sure whats what. All I know is that I don't want just a rinky dink point a shoot camera.

The picture I posted before was with one of these...
F109-2174-main-ca.jpg

I don't really want to spend more than $300, but I know for something quality it'll be more, so I think I'd be comfortable with a budget of $500.

Do you want a DSLR? If so, Get a D40 or a Canon XT. Go to best buy or something and play with them to see which one feels most comfortable. I have a point-and-shoot with full manual options/settings. That was a good start for me, but I think I'm ready to move beyond what that fixed-lens is capable of.

I just went to check out the new D60, D300, D40, and Canon's XSi. I was surprised at how comfortable the XSi was. I just wish it had a 1/500 flash sync like the D40. I was also quite surprised at the weight and speed of the D300.

I think I'm going to get a Nikon D40 soon and perhaps will buy the D80's successor when it's been out for a while and gets good reviews-- whatever. It's kind of weird though because I was able to figure out the D300 more easily than I could the D40. Anyway, if I get the D40, I'll probably pick up the 55-200m lens to go with the 18-55m kit glass. If I have money leftover, I'll probably get an SB-400 too. What do all of you think?

Do you want a DSLR? If so, Get a D40 or a Canon XT. Go to best buy or something and play with them to see which one feels most comfortable. I have a point-and-shoot with full manual options/settings. That was a good start for me, but I think I'm ready to move beyond what that fixed-lens is capable of.

I just went to check out the new D60, D300, D40, and Canon's XSi. I was surprised at how comfortable the XSi was. I just wish it had a 1/500 flash sync like the D40. I was also quite surprised at the weight and speed of the D300.

I think I'm going to get a Nikon D40 soon and perhaps will buy the D80's successor when it's been out for a while and gets good reviews-- whatever. It's kind of weird though because I was able to figure out the D300 more easily than I could the D40. Anyway, if I get the D40, I'll probably pick up the 55-200m lens to go with the 18-55m kit glass. If I have money leftover, I'll probably get an SB-400 too. What do all of you think?

My math teacher has a D40, and the shots I've seen from it look pretty impressive.

DSLR's are a great way to go. I mean, you would be suprised how easy it is to make good looking shots. Not great shots, but good shots. My recomendation would be a rebel xt, or a d60 or d80. Personally i wouldnt go below a d60 on the nikon end of things. The d40's only have a 6.1 megapixel sensor, which isnt terrible, but for the same money you could get a rebel xt, which is 8.2 mp's. And although omnis makes a great point about the flash sync speed, if you are new to photography in general, I dont think that will be much of a problem at all. Another good thing about the Rebel xt, is that there have already been two newer versions of it, so its cheap, even new. If you have the money though, an rebel xti would be even better.

Megapixels don't matter unless you're printing big. I wouldn't even buy a D60 though. Might as well get a D80 if you're going to spend that much.

Like I said, I'm just getting a D40 and spending the difference on glass.

I had the D40 for a few weeks, seemed like a toned down version of a D50 to me. I sold it to a friend and about 2 months after he had auto focus problems. It wasn't the lens because i switched them out with one with a servo and no help there, so its the camera. It takes good shots for a DSLR that only requires you to Point and shoot, but i really done know about how the lasting of them are since he's had all the problems already. I only used it once and sold it to him so its not like it was abused and used. If i had the choice, i would go with a D200, or the 300 WAY over the D40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back