The Lion's Den - California Now Released

Can't thank you enough for the tune on the GT LM holden. This is a car I would like to use more but is a real handful for my limited skills. I started running the car on Friday night and was able to compete almost straight away. I dialled the tyres back to R3 to make it a bit more comfortable but by yesterday afternoon I was running comfortably on R2s and using your tune pretty much as advertised. I just tweaked the PP down to 799 to get ahead of the rammers.
This car is a little less solid against the rammers but is soooo quick. It took me a little time to get used to it but is now a really fun drive for me but I couldn't have reached this level without your tune.
The only non-compliant setting with your tune is that I run the rear toe at 0. For some reason I always find that toe on the rear unsettles cars for me and gives no real benefit for my driving. Probably a limitation of my skills. I also find the GT LM runs out of puff toward the end of the straight. I tried tinkering with the gearing but to no avail as it invariably upset the balance and handling of the car. The end of the straight is the only place where speed is noticeably lower than I get with the Vette (my own tune :yuck:) but the GT LM is easily faster everywhere else. I am running consistent 1:03s in free run and so long as the rammers leave me alone, I am finishing on the podium in every race.
Mate, you have done a wonderful job on the GT LM and it rates as my favourite tune from you so far.👍

Holden, running the AM Vette tune for the GTP_event, I'm getting a lot of push under braking. Naturally because of the power of this car it suffers from being loose too. As for the rear end being loose, I understand that is a matter of how much throttle is being used. I have also found the rear end come around in erratic instances while not pouring on the power in turns.

I'm mainly having a very hard time getting the car to turn under braking into turn 1 and the following hairpin. Would more camber cure this? Am I not turning the wheel enough to get the car to turn?

Can't thank you enough for the tune on the GT LM holden. This is a car I would like to use more but is a real handful for my limited skills. I started running the car on Friday night and was able to compete almost straight away. I dialled the tyres back to R3 to make it a bit more comfortable but by yesterday afternoon I was running comfortably on R2s and using your tune pretty much as advertised. I just tweaked the PP down to 799 to get ahead of the rammers.
This car is a little less solid against the rammers but is soooo quick. It took me a little time to get used to it but is now a really fun drive for me but I couldn't have reached this level without your tune.
The only non-compliant setting with your tune is that I run the rear toe at 0. For some reason I always find that toe on the rear unsettles cars for me and gives no real benefit for my driving. Probably a limitation of my skills. I also find the GT LM runs out of puff toward the end of the straight. I tried tinkering with the gearing but to no avail as it invariably upset the balance and handling of the car. The end of the straight is the only place where speed is noticeably lower than I get with the Vette (my own tune :yuck:) but the GT LM is easily faster everywhere else. I am running consistent 1:03s in free run and so long as the rammers leave me alone, I am finishing on the podium in every race.
Mate, you have done a wonderful job on the GT LM and it rates as my favourite tune from you so far.👍

Thankyou very much.:D The car is lightning fast, I nearly always finish 1st comfortably if I don't get rammed, and I often start 12th.:eek: Scratch that, I nearly always finish 1st if I don't get punted twice.:D My lap record with this weapon is a 1'02.4 (something for you to aim for :sly:). When Dragonistic told me he'd only heard of one car being faster around HSR and it wasn't from Showdown 4, I know I did something right.;) (I assumed he meant the F2007, or some wild tuned-to-da-max car).
Out of curiosity, what speed do you reach down the end of the straight? I was reaching 317km/hr pretty much every time, and my Tuned Corvette was around 2-5km/hr slower I think.

Holden, running the AM Vette tune for the GTP_event, I'm getting a lot of push under braking. Naturally because of the power of this car it suffers from being loose too. As for the rear end being loose, I understand that is a matter of how much throttle is being used. I have also found the rear end come around in erratic instances while not pouring on the power in turns.

I'm mainly having a very hard time getting the car to turn under braking into turn 1 and the following hairpin. Would more camber cure this? Am I not turning the wheel enough to get the car to turn?

I did tune the brakes to have less turn in than normal, and mainly because of the psycho approach to turn 1 where most cars will break loose under breaking. You can try using less front brake power, but I don't know how much extra I'm allowed to tell you wrt how to drive the car with this setup by the GTP Event rules.

I checked the rules and did not see anything related to the actual driving of the car. The rules look to be mostly pertaining to posting of times. I think tips on braking points and whatnot would fall under "settings" type of discussion.

I know some cars, such as the Tuned Cappuccino require very slight amounts of steering inputs on this track, or the rear end will snap in a heartbeat.

Thread rules:

The following information cannot be discussed in this thread (they can, however, be discussed on MSN or via other private conversation methods):

* Total race time
* No lap 1 times
* any information which can be used to infer a lap time for lap 1

The following information can be discussed in this thread :

* Total time for Laps 2 & 3
* Any settings discussion.

The posting of settings is encouraged, but it's certainly not mandatory. We respect anyone wishing not to post settings, so please do not publicly ask someone to post their settings, they will if they want to.

I checked the rules and did not see anything related to the actual driving of the car. The rules look to be mostly pertaining to posting of times. I think tips on braking points and whatnot would fall under "settings" type of discussion.

I know some cars, such as the Tuned Cappuccino require very slight amounts of steering inputs on this track, or the rear end will snap in a heartbeat.

The posting of settings is encouraged, but it's certainly not mandatory. We respect anyone wishing not to post settings, so please do not publicly ask someone to post their settings, they will if they want to.

Well in that case, by recommendation of mr_VOLCANO (the fastest driver out there in this event at the moment, and using this tune.:D) I will be trying a front toe setting of +0.04. This would help turn-in, at the slight cost of a bit of cornering grip. I don't normally use front toe to get turn-in as normally you can make your brakes to do it for you, but this car and this track combo calls for different measures I think.

Edit: Nah, toe-in on the front didn't work for me. I just brake hard in a straight line for as long as possible then lift right off the brakes to get the turn-in, point the noise straight and power on.:)

Last edited:
Here we go again guys. They've changed the physics again (they better not do this in the full game), so all of my setups are now invalid. I'll be working all weekend to make up some ground and re-tune my vehicles.

TLD is where it's at. Thanks a lot for the tunes nd, I use them all the time.

Thanks, I appreciate that.👍 :)

nd 4 holden spd , i´m counting on your great work, hope you release some ferrari tunes ASAP 👍

Ferrari.........
I'll see what happens. I think I need to take my wheel back, the grinding when you turn it is getting louder, the turning feeling is getting notchier, and FF feels like crap. Oh, then there's the squeaking and scraping noises it makes that no one else's does.

Heya Holden,
GT updated everything again, so now i have to re-input all of my settings..argh! I just bought the Ferrari California yesterday, and i have to say it's a fun little car; very nimble. Anyways, i promised you a review, so here goes. I was in need of cash to get that new Ferrari, so i set out on a quest to get it using your 512BB. I entered it in the Suzuka 680PP race on professional. First of all, what an improvement in the handling department! No longer does it feel like i'm driving a Mac Truck with rain tires. The car turns in crisply, and holds a solid line through the corners. This was especially important when going through that fast right hand sweeper before the back straight. The car was absolutely planted, giving me the ability to use full throttle, bring it out to the edge, and nail the brakes to the inside to give me the run up the hill. Before your tune, the gearing was also lacking, but this set up works quite well in that department as well. I think it's geared down a bit, giving it more acceleration vs top end. Like i previously mentioned, the car is controllable. However, it can be induced to oversteer, but i found this to be a bit ill advised. Once the rear end goes on this car, it likely isn't coming back. Overall a solid tune, that allowed this car to bring out it's competitive spirit. Well done Holden!

-Rennsport

Heya Holden,
GT updated everything again, so now i have to re-input all of my settings..argh! I just bought the Ferrari California yesterday, and i have to say it's a fun little car; very nimble. Anyways, i promised you a review, so here goes. I was in need of cash to get that new Ferrari, so i set out on a quest to get it using your 512BB. I entered it in the Suzuka 680PP race on professional. First of all, what an improvement in the handling department! No longer does it feel like i'm driving a Mac Truck with rain tires. The car turns in crisply, and holds a solid line through the corners. This was especially important when going through that fast right hand sweeper before the back straight. The car was absolutely planted, giving me the ability to use full throttle, bring it out to the edge, and nail the brakes to the inside to give me the run up the hill. Before your tune, the gearing was also lacking, but this set up works quite well in that department as well. I think it's geared down a bit, giving it more acceleration vs top end. Like i previously mentioned, the car is controllable. However, it can be induced to oversteer, but i found this to be a bit ill advised. Once the rear end goes on this car, it likely isn't coming back. Overall a solid tune, that allowed this car to bring out it's competitive spirit. Well done Holden!

-Rennsport

Thanks for the review, now I need to update all of my cars with the new physics. I wish they'd stop changing the damn physics. Anyway, so you want a California tune? For the Ferrari event?

TLD Lotus Evora-R
(212kw) (344Nm) (1130kg) (600 PP) (Pro Physics)

tunesheet_evora.jpg

Performance:

Power: +3
Weight: 85%
Tyres: R1

Settings:

Suspension:
Ride Height: -30/-30
Spring Rates: 9/6
Damper: 4/6
Toe: -0.12/-0.08
Camber: 0.9/1.0

Brake Balance: 6/5

Max Turn Angle: 40

All driving aids up to driver, tuned with all aids off except ABS at 1

Gear Ratios:
1st: 3.830
2nd: 2.240
3rd: 1.440
4th: 1.003
5th: 0.818
6th: 0.698
Final: 3.777

Description: A completely new vehicle on the market and TLD is the first to offer a performance variant. With severely reduced weight, some very slight improvements in engine efficiency and racing slick tyres, it is very competitive. Unfortunately due to some strange reason, Lotus would not let us change the diff, so the car acts like a 4spd which was not something we were happy with.

Tuner's Notes:
Make use of lift-off turning
Loads of traction, use the throttle with confidence

It turns out most set ups seem to still work great (well mine are decent at least) so not many adjustments need making :)

I think the S tyres set ups may need change, but all of my set up being high PP event, work just fine even with the large adjustment to the sixaxis

It would be great if you could get the rear end of the Cali. to tighten up without having to go to an R2-front/R3-rear. This car has incredible front bite.

A California tune would be excellent. :)

It would be great if you could get the rear end of the Cali. to tighten up without having to go to an R2-front/R3-rear. This car has incredible front bite.

I have someone's 512 BB to test first, but I am working on the Cali.

Edit: While you're waiting for the Cali, I highly recommend giving my 512 BB a go now. It will probably lose to a well driven California, but I mean well driven. The 512 is surprisingly competitive.

Last edited:
Therese no way i can get the 512BB within this;
"Power: +20
Tyres: R3"
And still have 650pp... something wrong with setup or am i just stupid? :)

Therese no way i can get the 512BB within this;
"Power: +20
Tyres: R3"
And still have 650pp... something wrong with setup or am i just stupid? :)

Sorry, I must have forgotten to change the power setting, just use min weight and appropriate power to make 650 PP, I definitely had R3 tyres and 85% weight. I'll have to fix it tomorrow.

I have someone's 512 BB to test first, but I am working on the Cali.

Edit: While you're waiting for the Cali, I highly recommend giving my 512 BB a go now. It will probably lose to a well driven California, but I mean well driven. The 512 is surprisingly competitive.

Roger, Dodger

TLD Ferrari California Poppy
(295kw) (445Nm) (1319kg) (650 PP) (Pro Physics)

tunesheet_california.jpg

Performance:

Power: -11
Weight: 91%
Tyres: R1

Settings:

Suspension:
Ride Height: -14/-12
Spring Rates: 8/5
Damper: 8/3
Toe: -0.12/+0.05
Camber: 1.4/0.6

Brake Balance: 5/5

Max Turn Angle: 40

All driving aids up to driver, tuned with all aids off except ABS at 1

Gear Ratios:
1st: 2.916
2nd: 1.970
3rd: 1.550
4th: 1.256
5th: 1.045
6th: 0.893
7th: 0.776
Final: 5.235

Description: The Ferrari California, a car designed by Ferrari to capture the Californian lifestyle. The Lion's Den California is about capturing the Californian natural environment which is beautiful and inspiring in its own right. Named after the California's wildflower, the California Poppy, this vehicle has had reduced power to meet race regulations, but the secrets are in less weight, a TLD tuned suspension and TLD designed gear ratios for the remarkable 7spd gearbox in this car. Our engineers feel we've made this into one of the most competitve tunes out there on the tracks today.

Tuner's Notes:
Make use of lift-off oversteer, but don't lift-off too much, or you'll.........oversteer
Smooth driving is essential despite good traction on throttle application
Trail braking is handy in this one

Last edited:
Just tried the Lion's Den Ferrari Cali, and it was really sweet. Only have a sec now, but I'll write a full review later; suffice to say I really enjoyed driving your tune! Thanks

Just tried the Lion's Den Ferrari Cali, and it was really sweet. Only have a sec now, but I'll write a full review later; suffice to say I really enjoyed driving your tune! Thanks

Hooray, someone noticed the car is actually here.:dopey: I look forward to your review.

I had a chance to play tonight so tried out the TLD and Dutch Customs (DC) California.

Both were insanely fast - not much to seperate them. I preferered the full 7 speed set up of the TLD car, something nice about blasting up through 7 gears quickly on the straights - though speedwise it was about the same, if not a bit slower. 4th gear in the TLD car is set up perfectly for the esses, I found that the DC 3rd gear would top out and 4th gear would not have enough revs to pull me through the corner.

Both required different driving styles, it was easier to drive the DC quickly with the front brake bias but not as fun, the TLD car seemed to turn better for me since I prefer a "twitchier" car. Both had quite a bit of lift off oversteer though which is always fun :D .

Sorry for the "shallow" review, I know nothing about tuning, so can't suggest any improvements. Good car to both of you, it's all down to driving style imo :) . Not much seperates them in lap times.

I had a chance to play tonight so tried out the TLD and Dutch Customs (DC) California.

Both were insanely fast - not much to seperate them. I preferered the full 7 speed set up of the TLD car, something nice about blasting up through 7 gears quickly on the straights - though speedwise it was about the same, if not a bit slower. 4th gear in the TLD car is set up perfectly for the esses, I found that the DC 3rd gear would top out and 4th gear would not have enough revs to pull me through the corner.

Both required different driving styles, it was easier to drive the DC quickly with the front brake bias but not as fun, the TLD car seemed to turn better for me since I prefer a "twitchier" car. Both had quite a bit of lift off oversteer though which is always fun :D .

Sorry for the "shallow" review, I know nothing about tuning, so can't suggest any improvements. Good car to both of you, it's all down to driving style imo :) . Not much seperates them in lap times.

Thanks for trying the California Poppy, it's very interesting when we get comparos between 2 cars.👍 I always try to make sure gears are tuned well for every corner, making track specific tuning even more important.:)

TLD Ferrari California Poppy
(295kw) (445Nm) (1319kg) (650 PP) (Pro Physics)

tunesheet_california.jpg

Description: The Ferrari California, a car designed by Ferrari to capture the Californian lifestyle. The Lion's Den California is about capturing the Californian natural environment which is beautiful and inspiring in its own right. Named after the California's wildflower, the California Poppy, this vehicle has had reduced power to meet race regulations, but the secrets are in less weight, a TLD tuned suspension and TLD designed gear ratios for the remarkable 7spd gearbox in this car. Our engineers feel we've made this into one of the most competitve tunes out there on the tracks today.

Tuner's Notes:
Make use of lift-off oversteer, but don't lift-off too much, or you'll.........oversteer
Smooth driving is essential despite good traction on throttle application
Trail braking is handy in this one

As requested for payment, I am submitting my report on the car.

Its pretty much as you said - fast and with lift off oversteer. I used the car for my first drive on the internet, my son having recently bought the GT5 Prologue program. The car is faster than it should be - one wonders how fast it would be with the roof up, because when I drive it with a view of the car, the roof is always down. You guys must have done something special with the aero too, because its quite sprightly at high speed, even with the roof down.

Concerning handling, I drove it at the internet US Ring time trial, which has some corners in it, in Pro league, which has I think 720 level of performance, which is a bit different from what you guys delivered to me.

At first, it would spin very easily if one backed off too much, or if one used too much power. Eventually, I turned the TC onto 4, and the car was much easier to drive quickly. I fiddled with the gearing for the Ring race track time trial - I am still not sure if it is faster to rev into the red, or instead to change gear at the start of the red line.

I also raced the car at Suzuka, and found that it was quicker to drive in 4th at some of the big corners there. Perhaps with lots of practice it won't be though. In 4th, it was easier to flow through the corners, and avoid will spin. Before the straits, it was faster in a higher gear than having wheel spin and lots of revs.

In the time trial at the Ring race track, I got into the 400s in the world, and then I had another go, I turned off the TC (which I had turned down eventually to 2). I shaved off time, but never did a purely good lap - for some reason, the car behaves a little inconsistently when I am driving it. I could put in sub 1:09s time after time, but trying to get much below that is difficult.

I have to depend on throttle control, I am still not sure about the best lines there - maybe more time is needed. For instance before the main straight, I found it pays to brake a touch early, and then hand the tail out and then get the power in. Rather than run tightly near the inside of the curve. There seems to be several lines at that track.

I found some big back-offs to kick out the tale paid off. Because the car slides, I found braking early was worthwhile, and then backing off and getting the tail out, then put the power down and this saved time. My best time was 260 odd in the world, with a 1:083x (I forget exactly the decimal places). I think a high 1:07 is possible, but for my skill, not so easy. Curiously the top California time has been done with R2 tyres, which are stickier than mine. That tune must have sacrificed weight or power.

Thanks for the car, but my son was dissapointed with the color - he likes his Ferrari's yellow. Strangely the 599 which was yellow, changed its color to white - very strange ...

Last edited:
Back