Sixaxis to G25 - 1 Year

• Thread starter Synwraith
  • 254 comments
That's Mad? How does he do it with that setup? Unbelievable :ill:

He's just a kid too :scared: How good will he be in a couple of years?

Day 2 - 09/04/09

First of all I mproved my setup. I propped the plank of wood up on two shoeboxes to make the wheel high enough so that I could sit on a proper chair. Nice difference but the whole plank moves around a lot more. Roll on end of month paycheque so I can get my Wheelstand Pro.

The first thing I tried today was the RX7 at Fuji S2 time trial again. After about 5 completed laps (and 5 wrecked ones) I managed to get within 1.2 seconds of my previous best on Sixaxis. Just to contextualise that, I spent more than 6 hours over 3 days to achieve that time and felt I had hit my plateau. The main issue for me now at Fuji is the long right hander, getting through it is fine, throttle control is fine (heaven in fact), the biggest issue for me is when on full throttle and nearly full lock when the road straightens out again, straightening the car smoothly and timing it correctly not to lose the back end is an issue. Getting it right 3 times out of 5, but usually not ending up exactly where I want to be on track. More practise required.

I've now done the Pro Physics events all the way up to A licence, struggling to get gold only on the time trials. But then I think I did those on standard physics for Sixaxis way back when i first bought the game :lol: The Integra one-lap-magic at HSR was a great deal of fun with the wheel.

London threw up some interesting points. First off, I found the wheel made it much much easier to take corners very close to the apex, and aiming at the apex succesfully is much easier on wheel than Sixaxis. However, learning how much steering lock to apply for the tight corners, not being afraid to throw it in, not starting a pinball chain-reaction all the way through section 3 were all very difficult lessons. I had to re-run the B-9 licence test a few times in the R8 before I was happy with my progress. I guess if your wheel is mounted more securely than mine you won't be afraid to really give it some beans when you need to turn in tightly.

Daytona Road was a real surprise I have to say. Turn 1 was beautiful, albeit I was driving a maxed out Evora on R3s, but braking and turning for turn 1 was a real pleasure. I loved this corner before on Sixaxis and it has just gained another dimension on the wheel. What I used to find really hard on Sixaxis was applying the gas whenever I wanted out of a tight corner, keeping it steady at say 20%, then gently increasing with the car's grip limit to avoid massive power oversteer. With the pedals on the G25 I feel like I'm almost always on the gas at some percentage! I can apply the gas really early and if it is too early, I just keep my foot pressure steady until I can apply more..more..more..much more...full throttle and it's beautiful. The hairpins and tight turns of Daytona Road are great with this setup. But, the hardest thing for me here was the entry to the bus-stop. Out of 4 laps I threw it away 3 times. I figured as long as I kept the wheel straight I could get on the power, but as soon as this baby came off the kerbs it was left-right-left-right-hospital. If you find the car destabilises over the entry kerbing you'd better correct it and FAST. I still haven't gotten used to just how rapid my wheel movements need to be to get the car facing the right way or to correct any instability over kerbs. I tell you, it wasn't like this on a d-pad :lol:

The biggest surprise for me today was the Corvette Z06 at the A2 Licence event on HSR Reverse with S3 tyres. I couldn't believe how much of a handful this beast was. Even the corners that are flat out in any other car were 75% throttle in this thing or you risk completely losing the back end on a constant radius fast corner. Really amazing. Grip grip grip gone. I had to do this one a few times, but the rate at which I could still sail past the AI here and still only be partial throttle on seemingly simple bends (not even corners!) made me think that it was indeed the way to take the corners. I still think I must be doing something fundamentally wrong here. I certainly made sure I applied as little steering angle as possible, apply to much and no matter what your throttle application is, it's over.

Eiger Reverse is still a complete thrill on G25 compared to pad. I can't get gold on the A-licence time trial in the M3, but only about 1 second off but then I never managed to get gold in Pro on Sixaxis either. I think a number of the guys did this one on Standard but I can clearly see how gold is possible on pro with the wheel. (Sold yet? :D)

And to conclude day 2, I went back to Fuji on the RX7 after a second day's toil, and now I am just 0.85 of a second away from my personal best in the time trial. Slowly slowly getting there. Of course catching is one thing, passing is quite another...

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Congrats Carl :cheers:

You can do like Mad did :lol:

attachment.php

hey that was my budget cockpit but with atlas book, even cheaper then skateboard!

Day 2 - 09/04/09

The first thing I tried today was the RX7 at Fuji S2 time trial again. After about 5 completed laps (and 5 wrecked ones) I managed to get within 1.2 seconds of my previous best on Sixaxis. Just to contextualise that, I spent more than 6 hours over 3 days to achieve that time and felt I had hit my plateau. The main issue for me now at Fuji is the long right hander, getting through it is fine, throttle control is fine (heaven in fact), the biggest issue for me is when on full throttle and nearly full lock when the road straightens out again, straightening the car smoothly and timing it correctly not to lose the back end is an issue. Getting it right 3 times out of 5, but usually not ending up exactly where I want to be on track. More practise required.

Daytona Road was a real surprise I have to say. Turn 1 was beautiful, albeit I was driving a maxed out Evora on R3s, but braking and turning for turn 1 was a real pleasure. I loved this corner before on Sixaxis and it has just gained another dimension on the wheel.

First, congrats on your purchase, its a big step, but as your finding, well worth it. I first made the jump in GT4 with a DFP after being consistantly slower by 1-2 seconds from the wheel users in GT3, never looked back since. Circuit La Sarthe and Nurburgring are just amazing with the wheel, and worth loading up GT4 to have a crack at them with your G25.

Just my small piece of advice i feel i can offer:
The bit in bold, after reading your two write-ups, my driving style, i rarely go more than 180degrees left or right on the wheel no matter the corner, and the Fuji turn 3 (the long right hander that tightens yes?) I only barely make it over 90degrees as i'm going through the tightest part of that turn. You seem to be making use of the full 900degrees of turn available to you with the wheel, which, from my experiance i found was overkill. Maybe thats just my driving style, and maybe thats why i'm not as quick as some of the guys around here, but for me, i'm consistant and smooth and with more practice i can get faster.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, in my opinion, i feel you may be using more of the steering lock than you have to.

Daytona Road turn 1, if you want a bit of a laugh, or a real challenge, try driving with ABS=0 and making Turn 1. In the car i drive 99% of the time, the Ferrari F40, i'm often having to get off the throttle going over the start finish line for me to take that corner in one piece :D

Hey Synwraith!

You could have at least raced me once, before you started getting the hang of the wheel. Now there is know way, i'm beating you! Oh well, that's what i get for being slow! Have fun with the wheel, friend!!:)👍

Hey guys,

These are some pictures of how I have finally just got my G25 set up now.
It seems like I have spent all evening getting this done. I initially started out
with an ironing board for a table :dopey: but it didn't work too well: too flimsy, 90 degree angles on the edges, so the wheel didn't clamp securely, etc.

I decided to go out looking for a small cheap table. I was in luck: the first place I went to (local Goodwill) had an old computer table for $10. I sized it up and it seemed like the perfect size, so I got it. It will do fine until I get the wheelstand 👍

My wheel setup pretty much dominates my bedroom now :lol:
But it sure beats laying back on my bed with the sixaxis like I used to do :)

Great posts, Synwraith, it is encouraging to know you are catching on really quick with your wheel 👍

Hey Timeattack, you too will be so glad you bought the wheel. I've only done about five laps so far, but it is like Synwraith said--best purchase ever--you are gonna love it 👍

Attachments

• 04-09-09_2049.jpg
    04-09-09_2049.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 04-09-09_2051.jpg
    04-09-09_2051.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 04-09-09_2052.jpg
    04-09-09_2052.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 351
That's Mad? How does he do it with that setup? Unbelievable :ill:

He's just a kid too :scared: How good will he be in a couple of years?

I don't use that setup anymore, But I did use it for my qualifier and in the last two IFTC races(where I placed 6th). It wasn't that hard, you got used to it. Much more stable setup now though.

Since we're posting crap wheel setups, here's mine. :D

My old setup with DFP in the front, new Playseat with G25 in the back.

It's a crap picture, taken right before my camera gave out about a year ago.

DSC00898.jpg

Hey Synwraith

Great second write up man!👍

Just a favour to ask here.
Could you report on how the F40 handles that long sweeping left hander after the esses at Suzuka?

I love looking at this car, but not so much driving it because it has a tendancy to snap the rear out which can't be avoided with the presision of a sixaxis. Does the wheel make much of a difference? I hapenes because there's a slight elevation change in the road which throws it off.

thanks

EDK
Since we're posting crap wheel setups, here's mine. :D

My old setup with DFP in the front, new Playseat with G25 in the back.

It's a crap picture, taken right before my camera gave out about a year ago.

DSC00898.jpg

Hey, you got the same playseat I have... How did you put the G25 on it? If Im not mistaken that Le Mans Classic Playseat is made for the DFP and needs some adjustments if you want to put a G25 on it, right?...

welcome to wheel racing world. :dopey: 👍

I like your world :D

Maz - you're making rapid progress buddy. It took me longer than that to adapt.

Thanks Phil, I have a feeling that after one week I still won't be up to speed on all combos and types of car.

Nice to read your progress Maz, What did I tell you? :)

:lol: the hypnotic eyes worked in the end.

Just my small piece of advice i feel i can offer:
The bit in bold, after reading your two write-ups, my driving style, i rarely go more than 180degrees left or right on the wheel no matter the corner, and the Fuji turn 3 (the long right hander that tightens yes?) I only barely make it over 90degrees as i'm going through the tightest part of that turn. You seem to be making use of the full 900degrees of turn available to you with the wheel, which, from my experiance i found was overkill. Maybe thats just my driving style, and maybe thats why i'm not as quick as some of the guys around here, but for me, i'm consistant and smooth and with more practice i can get faster.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, in my opinion, i feel you may be using more of the steering lock than you have to.
D

Oh I'm definitely not using the whole 900 degrees when turning. I should be careful with my phrasing actually because when I say "full lock" I've been meaning about the 180 degrees that you mentioned. However your advice is sound, cheers 👍

Hey Synwraith!

You could have at least raced me once, before you started getting the hang of the wheel. Now there is know way, i'm beating you! Oh well, that's what i get for being slow! Have fun with the wheel, friend!!:)👍

Haha I wouldn't worry John, I have a feeling in the next few weeks I'll just be at the same pace as I was before. It's finding the extra pace that will be interesting and what i think most sixaxis users are keen to see if I discover or not.

Hey guys,

My wheel setup pretty much dominates my bedroom now :lol:
But it sure beats laying back on my bed with the sixaxis like I used to do :)

Great posts, Synwraith, it is encouraging to know you are catching on really quick with your wheel 👍

Hey Timeattack, you too will be so glad you bought the wheel. I've only done about five laps so far, but it is like Synwraith said--best purchase ever--you are gonna love it 👍

Haha fantastic news Carl, it's just like everybody said and you have completely rediscovered the joy of the game right? I love your setup by the way. I only have the one room (studio flat) so I can't really purchase any more furniture as storage would be an issue. It's the Wheelstand Pro for me.

I don't use that setup anymore, But I did use it for my qualifier and in the last two IFTC races(where I placed 6th). It wasn't that hard, you got used to it. Much more stable setup now though.

This is very true, no matter how dodgy a setup is, you do eventually get used to it and adapt. I remember all sorts of wacky seating positions and distances I needed to use for my PS1, 2, Amiga, Mega Drive, C64 etc etc over the many years :)

Hey Synwraith

Great second write up man!👍

Just a favour to ask here.
Could you report on how the F40 handles that long sweeping left hander after the esses at Suzuka?

I love looking at this car, but not so much driving it because it has a tendancy to snap the rear out which can't be avoided with the presision of a sixaxis. Does the wheel make much of a difference? I hapenes because there's a slight elevation change in the road which throws it off.

thanks

Hey mate, as I am doing all the licence events, I will eventually come across the F40 at Suzuka and I'll be able to help you out on this one mate. Have you tried it on all tyres or is it a certain combination or setup that causes problems for you?

All the best
Maz

I use no tune on S3 tyres. It should have enough grip and I use that setup for every arcade race I do.
Any way, when you have time. No rush.

Day 3 - 10/04/09

As with the other 2 days I started with the RX7 at Fuji - no improvement so I moved back onto the A and S-licence tests.

One of the biggest problems today was Daytona Road in the F430, the one where you have to overtake all the cars. Threading the needle between cars, timing moves and braking/steering to utter precision is the key to getting gold on this one in Pro, and that's exactly what I'm lacking in these early G25 days so I struggled a lot with this. I made a mess of trying to pass the 599 and DB9 at turn 1 a million times. The rest of the track was a really lovely experience in the F430, the bus stop was no drama at all.

The F40 at Suzuka was another killer. Understeer and snap power oversteer coupled with AI driven by farmyard animals, really frustrating. I had one spectacular run going but wrecked it at the hairpin at Suzuka because this thing brakes like a boat! But to answer the earlier question about the F40 on S3s around Dunlop at Suzuka, yes the throttle control of the G25 pedals makes it a loooot easier to maintain a good speed and stability without an oversteer moment. I think in general I'm having trouble "racing" with the AI on the one-lap missions because you can't hesitate and have to be completely precise. That should hopefully come with more practise.

The best thing that came out of today was the use of the incredible Corvette Z06/Tuned on the S-Licence tests. On R1s or S3s the car hasd plenty of grip even in low aero settings. This car was absolutely beautiful to drive with a wheel and pedals. I was in complete control and even though i could see how much more time I could gain with practice around Suzuka, I still annhilated the AI, except for S-10 licence. This has now overtaken the Evora as the nicest car to drive with a wheel for me. I used to love this car on Sixaxis at the old 750PP Suzuka world event, I can't wait for another similar event so I can drag this out of the garage again. What a car.

I finished off today again with the RX7 at Fuji (since so many of the tests appear to be at Fuji) and I found that I had improved my technique around the long turn 3 right hander significantly. I was now able to straighten the car without issue and be exactly where I wanted to be on track. T3 at Fuji is just so much easier on the wheel...even after just 2 days of use. This was a section that had completely baffled me for months on Sixaxis. I was just getting the hang of it on my last Sixaxis days, and now I think it's one of my favourite sections on any track. Something that wheel users have been saying for months and I just couldn't understand. Don't get me wrong, I don't nail it every time now, far from it, but the difference is I CAN nail it on some occasions now. Anyway, cold hard numbers? I am now only 0.65 seconds off my best Sixaxis at Fuji in the RX7. I could have done a much better lap as I was exactly 1.0 secs off the very top #1 time on the leaderboard by KOR_Joker at T2 on one occasion but messed up T3.

The improvements are clear to see. The biggest difficulty is racing and overtaking when and where I want while maintaining optimum braking/line/throttle. Driving in other words :lol:

All the best
Maz

Hey Maz,

I thought I would give a little update on my progress last night.
I concentrated mainly on three different combos that I was interested
in comparing to the sixaxis: the GTP qualifier I ran (RX-7 with S2's at Fuji), the most recent EYS round 8 TT at London Reverse (Suzuki Swift Tuned S2's) and the current WRS event (Art Morrison Corvette 700 pp at HSR Reverse Clubman Cup event #4).

I must say, I think my results were a bit of a mixed bag. I spent about half an hour on the RX-7 at Fuji and was only able to just get within 4 seconds of my qualifier time. But wow, you were right--turn 1 is sooo much smoother now, as is the long sweeping right hander (although I kept messing it up last night) and the chicane and the final turn onto the straight are unbelievable as well. Like you, now I know how guys like holl01 are so smooth coming out of the final turn onto the straight :D

With the Swift on London Reverse I had better results. I was eventually, after about 45 minutes, able to put in a clean lap that was only about 1.5 off of my time with the sixaxis. This combo was much easier with the wheel--much easier to turn the understeery Swift on the narrow streets.
The only place I didn't feel I was quicker than a pad yet was the quick right/left kink at turn 1.

Without a doubt, my best results were in the Art Morrison at HSR.
With the pad, I had done a less than stellar best lap of 109.2xx only the day before. With the controller, this car was a nightmare to control through the S bend in the infield. With the wheel, it was increadibly smooth, so much easier through that part of the track. Strangely enough, the one part of the track where I am lacking right now is the entry/exit to turn 5 right before the final turn onto the straightaway. I spent about 2.5--3.0 hours on this combo, and was able to eventually get a 109.134, almost a tenth better than I had with the pad. But that was the exception rather than the rule obviously. One "golden" lap amidst a sea of dirty ones. Lots of spin outs, and inconsistency. I didn't run three clean laps in a row at any time. And you were really right about the loss of traction with the wheel--when it happens, it is sudden, violent and seemingly irreversible at this moment

I can see where it is going to take me quite a bit of time to be able to better control these "traction incidents." And I did take the wheel online for a couple of races as well. I am definitely not ready for online racing with a wheel yet :nervous: . EDK was the only NTSC user in the chat last night, and he offered to race with me at HSR. Well, I guess I spun out/hit the wall at least 8 or 10 times in both races, and even on my best lap, I was about 2 seconds off my best time with the NSX there, but on the rare couple of clean laps I had, boy it really felt smooth sailing through turn 1 at full throttle there as HSR :sly: That was always a "hairy" place in just about any car with the pad. In spite of a couple of offs/wall touches I had there, it was much better with the wheel.

Still a long way to go though. But like you, I don't think I would care even if I wind up being slower with the wheel, it is that much fun :dopey: 👍

Last edited:
Hey, you got the same playseat I have... How did you put the G25 on it? If Im not mistaken that Le Mans Classic Playseat is made for the DFP and needs some adjustments if you want to put a G25 on it, right?...

You have to notch the pedal base, just a little handy work with a saw. The Evolution Shifter mount works fine, you just have to drill an extra hole in the side plate and put a nut/bolt/washer combo through it. And while I am mechanically inclined, I'm definitely not handy when it comes to fabricating. So it's not terribly difficult.

And I did take the wheel online for a couple of races as well. I am definitely not ready for online racing with a wheel yet :nervous: . EDK was the only NTSC user in the chat last night, and he offered to race with me at HSR. Well, I guess I spun out/hit the wall at least 8 or 10 times in both races, and even on my best lap, I was about 2 seconds off my best time with the NSX there, but on the rare couple of clean laps I had, boy it really felt smooth sailing through turn 1 at full throttle there as HSR :sly: That was always a "hairy" place in just about any car with the pad. In spite of a couple of offs/wall touches I had there, it was much better with the wheel.

I still say my only turn 1 crash was probably a 3 spinner and much more spectacular than any of yours. :dopey:

One of the advantages of the wheel is that you can lift the throttle a very small increment without losing a lot of time, and will avoid that crash. ;)

You were running pretty well in the second race, in the M3 with my Frankenstein tune. :P

I still say my only turn 1 crash was probably a 3 spinner and much more spectacular than any of yours.

One of the advantages of the wheel is that you can lift the throttle a very small increment without losing a lot of time, and will avoid that crash.

You were running pretty well in the second race, in the M3 with my Frankenstein tune.

Thanks again EDK 👍 for taking the time and having the patience to run with me. Thanks also for that tune for the M3. I think I'm gonna wait and practice a little more before I run online again though :lol: It must have been a nerve-wracking experience running around/near me last night :scared:

P.S.

Went home at lunch, and my PAL disk had arrived :dopey:

*At first, Jumps for joy*

*On second thought 💡 wait a mintue :ill:...realizes the implications of having a PAL disk*

*PAL=racing against Timppaq, Synwraith, holl01, mad94 :scared: *

Last edited:
Thanks again EDK 👍 for taking the time and having the patience to run with me. Thanks also for that tune for the M3. I think I'm gonna wait and practice a little more before I run online again though :lol: It must have been a nerve-wracking experience running around/near me last night :scared:

P.S.

Went home at lunch, and my PAL disk had arrived :dopey:

*At first, Jumps for joy*

*On second thought 💡 wait a mintue :ill:...realizes the implications of having a PAL disk*

*PAL=racing against Timppaq, Synwraith, holl01, mad94 :scared: *

I truly don't know why anyone would be worried about racing me, except getting caught up in one of my new wild oversteer episodes :lol:

I loved reading your post mate, many of your experiences and your progress so far mirrors mine. I wish there had been some sort of information like this, as detailed (experienced Sixaxis GT5P user to G25), as when I was mulling over buying my G25. I think we've already been quite useful to some folk.

All the best
Maz

FYI- G25 has an awesome carpet gripper on it (I didnt know it was there for a month) and it was designed to sit flat on the floor. Ive never seen a playset in person but I personally wouldnt attach the pedals to anything. Sorry for being off topic, this is a GREAT thread!

Day 4 - 11/04/09

To make sure this doesn't all get rdiculously annoying and repetitive for everyone I'm only going to post until I get up to my Sixaxis pace. As much as I have a habit of spamming and saying way too much in every thread, I'll try to keep it short :)

I started today with some RoC RX-7 racing at Suzuka, stock setup with S3 tyres as per Jack's competition rules. Previously my best lap was a 2'19.6xx on Sixaxis. After 2 races my best on the wheel was 2'21.4xx. About 1.8 seconds off my previous pace. The first 5-lap race saw me off everywhere. The second race was way better. The amazing thing is I find Degner and the hairpin absolutely trouble-free on the wheel. My biggest problems are spoon 1 and turn 1. Also, because it's so nice to now be able to do proper partial throttle on some corner exits and entries, it's sometimes too tempting to take most corners like that, when actually they need full throttle and a big set of balls. I'm losing a lot of time like that currently. Also on turn 1 and Spoon I find I am turning in too late and not sharply enough (again too soft and gradual) and not coming off the brakes soon enough. Basically all of my movements have slowed. Need to sharpen up and not be afraid to get rough.

Catching slides and moments is becoming ever easier with only about 3 out of 10 moments causing me to spin out now. GTP_JvM noticed a few nice drifts through Degner and turn 1 at Suzuka, which would have been unthinkable a couple of days ago.

I went back to try the WRS week 13 Ferrari 512 BB time trial on S2 tyres at Eiger Reverse. My best Sixaxis time on there was 1'14.250, good enough for #10 on the Pro online leaderboard. After about an hour on that combo today I had my time down to 1'15.033. Just 0.783 off my best Sixaxis lap. What I found was that despite the 512 being a beasty on S2s, I was able to do the twisty section much more cleanly with the wheel and earlier partial throttle application helped a lot. I found the corner I was losing the most time on was the hairpin after the tunnel. I nailed it properly once and managed to be 0.252 up on my 1'15.033, but the second hardest corner for me on the wheel is the next one right-handed up the hill after the bridge. so I didn't improve further but could clearly see gains. The first sector with the fast right hander then the left hander down into the tunnel was so much more interesting on the G25. Consistently running under 11 seconds for T1, and often ahead of the #1 ghost.

On GTP_Hyperspeed's advice I decided to run the Arcade time trial for F430 at Suzuka East. I have to say this was incredibly frustrating. This whole track is partial throttle, partial brakes, careful steering input, left right left right left right precise precise precise and I messed up so many times all over the place. And here, one ruined corner immediately leads to another ruined corner and so on. Most of my messups were on the last corner before I even started the timed lap! This one feels like riding the proverbial bike around your living room. Very tricky to nail with the wheel, I feel like you have to be completely at one with the machinery to get this right. Over the course of my many laps every corner got done perfectly at least once. In the end I managed a 54.232 which was good enough for 18th on the online leaderboard, about 0.9 seconds off the #1 time on PRO. Come on, that's not bad for 3 days of wheeling! I was enjoying it by the end because I'd gotten the hang of using the brake tap for turn in and letting lift off oversteer do the rest, then partial throttle to keep up the speed and floor it when possible.

All the best
Maz

Day 4 - 11/04/09

On GTP_Hyperspeed's advice I decided to run the Arcade time trial for F430 at Suzuka East. I have to say this was incredibly frustrating. This whole track is partial throttle, partial brakes, careful steering input, left right left right left right precise precise precise and I messed up so many times all over the place. And here, one ruined corner immediately leads to another ruined corner and so on. Most of my messups were on the last corner before I even started the timed lap! This one feels like riding the proverbial bike around your living room. Very tricky to nail with the wheel, I feel like you have to be completely at one with the machinery to get this right. Over the course of my many laps every corner got done perfectly at least once. In the end I managed a 54.232 which was good enough for 18th on the online leaderboard, about 0.9 seconds off the #1 time on PRO. Come on, that's not bad for 3 days of wheeling! I was enjoying it by the end because I'd gotten the hang of using the brake tap for turn in and letting lift off oversteer do the rest, then partial throttle to keep up the speed and floor it when possible.

All the best
Maz

You done good Maz, 👍

That is why I picked this combo for you, I think its great to get used to the wheel. Smooth and fast. ;) Also I notice you mention being afraid to be rough with the wheel, fear not, you can give it some teddy, and will need too if you want to recover a spin. 👍

Hey guys,

Like Maz, I don't want to start spamming, so I will try to keep my comments as brief as possible this time. First off, I spent a good 3 hours off and on in the Art Morrison at HSR reverse (this week's WRS). After many tries, I was eventually able to run a 108.725 lap. This is a good 5 tenths quicker than my previous best with the sixaxis. So I am well pleased with that and hopeful that I can find at least a couple more tenths tonight.

Also, I went back and spent about an hour on the Fuji RX-7 qualifier I ran and was able to get within 1.5 seconds of my qualifier time. Again, I am pleased with my progress on this one. I also ran a race last night at Suzuka 550pp in the NSX and managed a 2:20.173 which was a full 1.2 seconds quicker than my previous best with the pad. In general, fewer offs last night and getting better at making recoveries with the wheel. I think I am to the point now that I am not pushing the limits of the wheel hard enough. For lack of a better description, I think I need to lose my sixaxis mentality of being too "careful" with my inputs and start pushing the wheel a little bit more, (the G25 is like a brick house, I think she likes it rough :sly::lol:)

Also, to anyone else out there who is considering making the switch to the wheel, I hope that if you are able to do it financially that you go ahead and do it. I really wish that I had had the opportunity to test out a DFGT as well (maybe someone else out there has recently bought one and could offer their opinion on it?) in order to compare it to the G25. But I couldn't be more pleased with the G25 so far. Any concerns or doubts I may have had have been more than laid to rest. The pedals are unbelievably sturdy, and if you are planning on putting them on carpet, rest assured they will not budge even if you mash them with wild abandon. Although I haven't used it much, the shifter seems quite sturdy enough to me. This was one of the more frequent criticisms I had seen regarding the G25. I have used it in sequential mode a few times so far, and it seems great to me. The paddle shifters are also very nice and very well-located. Again, one of the criticisms I had heard was that they made an annoying clicking sound. Well, they do make a small click when you press them, but it doesn't seem any louder than the click the sixaxis makes when you press one of the shoulder buttons. And the wheel itself looks and feels great in your hands.

Maz, I also find Spoon and Turn 1 and 2 very tricky to get right with the wheel. Two of the hardest corners to get right consistently on the game in my opinion(and T1 and DR). I find carrying the brake works well(as you said), you can get the nose pointed in well like that.

It seems like you're nearly matching your sixaxis times now which is great to see.👍 Keep it up.

cpp214, a 1'08.7 is a very respectable time in this week's WRS. Great time considering you only just got the wheel.👍 It's great to see that you're already beating your sixaxis times.👍

I have the DFGT, I couldn't be happier with it but I would prefer a G25.:D The pedal carpet locking system on the bottom works brilliantly, the pedals don't move at all. The paddles on the DFGT are just little buttons but they don't make a noise when you shift(but the sequential gear stick does). If you can't afford a G25(like me:D), the DFGT is a good wheel for the money.👍

You done good Maz, 👍

That is why I picked this combo for you, I think its great to get used to the wheel. Smooth and fast. ;) Also I notice you mention being afraid to be rough with the wheel, fear not, you can give it some teddy, and will need too if you want to recover a spin. 👍

I'm beginning to see this mate, yeah. The problem is my unstable setup at the moment means I'm constantly worried I'll just pull the wood plank clean off the chairs :lol: 2 weeks to Wheelstand Pro...

Hey guys,

Like Maz, I don't want to start spamming, so I will try to keep my comments as brief as possible this time. First off, I spent a good 3 hours off and on in the Art Morrison at HSR reverse (this week's WRS). After many tries, I was eventually able to run a 108.725 lap. This is a good 5 tenths quicker than my previous best with the sixaxis.

Also, I went back and spent about an hour on the Fuji RX-7 qualifier I ran and was able to get within 1.5 seconds of my qualifier time. I think I need to lose my sixaxis mentality of being too "careful" with my inputs and start pushing the wheel a little bit more, (the G25 is like a brick house, I think she likes it rough :sly::lol:)

Well done man, beating your sixaxis times already is a major achievement. I agree with everything you've been saying, especially the careful inputs. Maybe that's why people have so much difficulty going back to Sixaxis after the wheel, maybe they are not being delicate enough with it?

Maz, I also find Spoon and Turn 1 and 2 very tricky to get right with the wheel. Two of the hardest corners to get right consistently on the game in my opinion(and T1 and DR). I find carrying the brake works well(as you said), you can get the nose pointed in well like that.

It seems like you're nearly matching your sixaxis times now which is great to see.👍 Keep it up.
👍

Cheers Mad, I was really hoping it wouldn't take me months to find the speed again, that sounded a little daunting and it was honestly one of the factors putting me off buying the wheel. But considering after 3 days I am on average 0.7 seconds off and improving daily, that should hopefully allay any fears that other wheel-buyers may have.

All the best
Maz

Day 5 - 12/04/09

Had a very short time on G25 today, all i managed were some more laps of F430 at Suzuka East with no improvement, but spending some quality time at Fuji F with the RX7 yieleded some extra time. Now just 0.5 seconds away from my best Sixaxis lap there.

Really looking forward to how I get on with WRS week 24, F430 at Eiger Nordwand forward this week!

All the best
Maz

Hey Maz, everybody,

Well, I'm going on day 5 with the wheel now, and just a couple more tidbits to report. I guess I've had a bit of tunnel vision since I got the wheel and have pretty much just been focusing on the events I would normally compete in (WRS & EYS), so I've mainly been in the Art Morrison, the F430 and the Tuned Lotus. All of these cars are much easier to drive with the wheel. Especially the Lotus. I have been forcing myself to try and learn how to brake with my left foot for the Lotus time trial at Suzuka, so I can brake and blip/keep on the throttle at the same time--which for me comes in very handy for this car. I haven't got the heel-toe down yet, though.

Also, ran a few Suzuka 550pp races last night with mad94, aussienicko and drama-kyd in the clio V6 and was able to lap in the low to mid 2:17's when I was able to keep it on track :lol: With the sixaxis, I was doing great if I could run in the low 2:19's or high 2:18's. So the wheel is definitely much better here at Suzuka--especially at the hairpin, 130R and Casio--all of which are much smoother/more drama-free. On the flipside, I am still struggling with overall race-pace consistency with the wheel, although I also had this problem with the sixaxis as well.

A couple of other brief notes: I don't know about you Maz, but I am finding it easier to use the pedals in my socks--much better feel and precision with the pedals. Also, I am finding that although my neck and shoulders get a bit stiff with the wheel after prolonged use, there are brief stretches during races/time trials that it feels like I am getting a little "break" with the wheel--such as on straightaway sections where I can just relax and "breathe" for a moment. Are you feeling this way as well Maz? That's a good feeling isn't it? Maybe I was just too tense using the pad, but I never remember getting those short little breathers like you do with the wheel.

P.S. Maz--The wheelstand should be arriving today or tomorrow, and I will try and give you an update as soon as I have it up and running. I think I have had the benefit of having a more stable setup with the wheel so far, and I can't wait to hear your feedback once you get a more stable setup for yours as well 👍

Carl

Last edited:
Great to see the wheel is going well. This week's EYS is really hard, it is so hard to keep it facing the right way.

Good racing with you 3 by the way. I wish I could've connected to more though. Your speed seemed to be pretty good, just lacking a bit of consistency. But you've only had the wheel for 5 days, so just keep practicing and more speed and consistency will come. Keep up the great work.👍

Latest Posts

Back