Sixaxis to G25 - 1 Year

• Thread starter Synwraith
  • 254 comments
Hey Maz, everybody,

Well, I'm going on day 5 with the wheel now, and just a couple more tidbits to report. I guess I've had a bit of tunnel vision since I got the wheel and have pretty much just been focusing on the events I would normally compete in (WRS & EYS), so I've mainly been in the Art Morrison, the F430 and the Tuned Lotus. All of these cars are much easier to drive with the wheel. Especially the Lotus. I have been forcing myself to try and learn how to brake with my left foot for the Lotus time trial at Suzuka, so I can brake and blip/keep on the throttle at the same time--which for me comes in very handy for this car. I haven't got the heel-toe down yet, though.

Hey man, your progress is excellent in my opinion. I've been left-foot braking since the start of my G25 use, but I'm not really sure if it's affording me any advantage or not. It just feels natural to drive fast this way. It could be because I was playing racing games at arcades for much longer than I ever drove a real car :lol:

Also, ran a few Suzuka 550pp races last night with mad94, aussienicko and drama-kyd in the clio V6 and was able to lap in the low to mid 2:17's when I was able to keep it on track :lol: With the sixaxis, I was doing great if I could run in the low 2:19's or high 2:18's. So the wheel is definitely much better here at Suzuka--especially at the hairpin, 130R and Casio--all of which are much smoother/more drama-free. On the flipside, I am still struggling with overall race-pace consistency with the wheel, although I also had this problem with the sixaxis as well.

Wow, you're actually at the point where you're beating your sixaxis times, I have to say I'm quite envious. I'm still not matching them in most places like Fuji and Suzuka, even Eiger. I agree with the hairpin and 130R being much more enjoyable on the wheel than Sixaxis. Also Dunlop! Much simpler.

A couple of other brief notes: I don't know about you Maz, but I am finding it easier to use the pedals in my socks--much better feel and precision with the pedals. Also, I am finding that although my neck and shoulders get a bit stiff with the wheel after prolonged use, there are brief stretches during races/time trials that it feels like I am getting a little "break" with the wheel--such as on straightaway sections where I can just relax and "breathe" for a moment. Are you feeling this way as well Maz? That's a good feeling isn't it? Maybe I was just too tense using the pad, but I never remember getting those short little breathers like you do with the wheel.

Agreed, I found it much better in socks also. But my braking leg is definitely suffering and regular breaks are a real necessity. Full credit to those awesome drivers who do the 10 lap Suzuka races, never make mistakes and ar efaster than everyone else. Incredible, that feels months and months away for me.

P.S. Maz--The wheelstand should be arriving today or tomorrow, and I will try and give you an update as soon as I have it up and running. I think I have had the benefit of having a more stable setup with the wheel so far, and I can't wait to hear your feedback once you get a more stable setup for yours as well 👍

Carl

I look forward to hearing about it Carl. I'm currently driving myself up the wall (literally) at Eiger in the F430 for WRS 24 and the sharp corners are obliterating my insecure setup. Everything's been moving around so much, I could definitely use a wheelstand.

All the best
Maz

Wow, you're actually at the point where you're beating your sixaxis times, I have to say I'm quite envious.

Hey Maz,

I don't think you would have been envious if you had witnessed me racing last night :lol: I think/hope you would have had pity on me :guilty: I think in two out of four or five races I ran reasonably well with no or no more than 1 off. But I'm still very much hit or miss. I think if you had seen me on one of my several off track incidents you would have been thinking "this guy is a lunatic/idiot." Also, the Clio is one of the easier cars to drive in the game, so it is very forgiving to someone trying to learn the wheel. Also, I haven't been back yet, but I am still 1.5 seconds off my qualifier time, so I think all things considered we are progressing fairly evenly. I am certain that once you get a more stable setup, I will be struggling to keep pace with you. Right now, all I am having to worry about is driving. You are doing yeoman's work with your setup right now. You are going to be a real "beast" very soon indeed with a more stable setup 👍

Day 6 - 13/04/09

I decided to spend most of today running the F430 at Eiger on S2s as per WRS week 24. Knowing I was off the pace by roughly 1 to 2 seconds, but having a great feel for the F430 and Eiger from recent time trials with the wheel I was still optimistic. Unfortunately it dodn't quite work out how I planned and I was going absolutely stir-crazy with this one today. I was just getting more and more frustrated at not being able to match others who had already posted decent times. I was running roughly at D3/D4 pace.

Instead I decided (was convinced) to switch to some RX8 at Suzuka and after that some RX7 RoC at Suzuka with GTP_Hyperspeed and GTP_JvM. I have to say a massive thank you to those boys who patiently waited for me race after race, lap after lap as I threw it away time and again on every corner of the track. It's guys like these that make this forum what it is, and make anybody proud to wear a GTP tag. They were more interested in helping me adapt to the wheel and running wheel to wheel than just winning. :bowdown: The upshot was that in my final race with JvM, I finally strung together 2 fast laps right at the end with no mistakes, proper racing, and my best laptime was within a second of my Sixaxis best of 2'19.6xx.

After this I decided, having calmed down a bit and gotten more relaxed, remembering what it's like to enjoy driving with this piece, I went back to Eiger and the F430. I improved my overall lap time and splits to reflect a decent Division 2 pace, although more bronze than my current silver status. I'm still having problems applying enough steering angle for some corners which is affecting how early I can get on the power and how much speed I'm carrying through the bends.

It is incredibly hard to get used to being noticeably slower and more accident-prone than during my Sixaxis days. I look forward to being able to run with people like JvM and Hyperspeed again soon.

All the best
Maz

Maz,

I'd love to know what you think about my lovely F430 tunes now that you are finally driving it as I tuned it. So happy for you!

- Adam

I'm still having problems applying enough steering angle for some corners which is affecting how early I can get on the power and how much speed I'm carrying through the bends.

If you're struggling to get enough lock on to get round the corner you're going in too fast and understeering, or your turn-in angle is too narrow... you shouldn't need to turn the wheel more than 180* ever... 90* is enough for almost every corner if your line and entry speed is right (you might need a bit more than 90* in to Eiger turn 2).

This is a good read Maz and reminds me of when I made the transition last year :)

Hey Maz, everybody

The wheelstand pro arrived yesterday afternoon.
I finally got it set up last night--customs had opened it and had a look at it and I was missing the wing nut that fastens the pedal stand to the base of the wheel stand. I went to a couple of local hardware stores, but neither of them had a wing nut :grumpy: :boggled:. I found that a bit surprising. I bought a screw that you just twist in with your fingers to try and fit it but it was too long. Nevertheless, I was pleased to find out that you really don't need to screw the pedals in because they are quite stable without it. I think I finally got the wheel tightened up enough and positioned well enough to suit me. On the whole, it seems very stable, but not quite as stable as when I had it attached to the computer desk. But this may not necessarily be a bad thing. I can feel the force feedback and road vibrations a little better with the wheelstand, and it is not as if the wheel is going anywhere, it is still very stable when it is bolted down to the stand. Also, the wheelstand actually seems smaller than I thought it would be, and lighter too, which is good. It is pretty easy to pick up and move around. Maz, I think you will really enjoy the wheelstand. It arrived here in the states 6 days after I ordered it, so I would be surprised if you didn't get it much sooner since it ships from Poland. It is very easily adjustable once you get it set up, so you can adjust it to whatever height/angle you like very easily. Just make sure to check the box if customs has had a look see with it, and make sure everything is in order.

Once I got it set up, I went and took it for a quick spin with the F430 at Eiger. After about 30 minutes, I had splits of 30.689 and 51.078. Not very good considering the split times I had seen in the WRS thread. I then decided to try out the tuned Lotus at Suzuka to try and improve my time in the EYS competition. I had ran a 2:12.8xx the previous day, and was fully expecting to shave off at least another .5 to 1 second. Well, I spent a good 3 hours there and was only able to bring my time down by .2 to a 2:12.6xx.

All in all, I guess today is the first day that I can say I didn't see very much improvement with the wheel, if any. Very frustrating :grumpy: I guess a little patience and practice is in order now.
If you're struggling to get enough lock on to get round the corner you're going in too fast and understeering, or your turn-in angle is too narrow... you shouldn't need to turn the wheel more than 180* ever... 90* is enough for almost every corner if your line and entry speed is right (you might need a bit more than 90* in to Eiger turn 2).
This is a great piece of advice. I am finding that the wheel does not make up for poor racing lines. In fact, I think it may be even more important to take proper lines with the wheel than it was with the controller. Thanks for this reminder Stotty 👍

That's a shame Carl. The speed will come with practice. Both of those combo's you did are extremely hard, slippery and frustrating. The EYS combo is so hard, the back always wants to step out. WRS combo is a bit easier. I'd say that from now on you won't be making improvements by seconds, you'll be making improvements by tenths. Just stay with it, eventually all those tenths add up and give you fast lap times.

Thanks for the words of encouragement mad, and thanks also for your patience with me the other night at Suzuka 👍 You, Nicko, Drama-kyd and the others I ran with are the best. You are real racers and sportsmen who care about making your fellow drivers better :cheers: You are a real credit to this forum :gtpflag:

Last edited:
That's a shame Carl. The speed will come with practice. Both of those combo's you did are extremely hard, slippery and frustrating. The EYS combo is so hard, the back always wants to step out. WRS combo is a bit easier. I'd say that from now on you won't be making improvements by seconds, you'll be making improvements by tenths. Just stay with it, eventually all those tenths add up and give you fast lap times.

Curious questions, if i'm a seasonal trackday junkie but plays GT5P with the Sixaxis, will the transition to the G25 be easier? I've been eying the G25 for sometime now. From what i read, i'm becoming more and more sure that spending on a G25 is well, i'm sure all of you know :)

Last edited:
Day 7 - 14/04/09

Had this thing a week now, and from last week the improvements are clear but it's very easy to expect too much and be frustrated at the lack of perceived progress in control and laptime. Carl it seems has also had something of an off-day :lol:

I spent an ungodly amount of hours at Eiger on the F430 WRS today. I am absolutely sure I have spent more time in the last 2 days on this combo than anyone else has. The best thing that has come out of it is that I managed a T1 of 29.994 on one occasion which puts me in the same bracket as the very fastest. But that's all well and good, I should be able to reproduce that pace consistently, after all that is what we're told the wheel does for our pace.

The main thing I came up with today was turning down the Force feedback and finding immediately it helped around Eiger. I was able to get the nose pointed in where I wanted at the speed I wanted, and didn't have to wrestle with the wheel. I'm a little worried though because the feedback and resistance of the wheel are supposed to add to the enjoyment and experience, but I just turned it down to benefit my laptime. I was at 5 originally, tried 6 and went slower. Too much hassle trying to get into a sharp corner really quick, especially turn 2 at Eiger. I went back to 5, got faster, went down to 4, no real improvement, back up to 5 and suddenly it was hard again, so settled at 4.

You have to be really careful not to forget how enjoyable the wheel can be, and once you start trying to compete and aim for laptimes that others are producing, your (my) frustration can fast get in the way of the fun you (I) were having just 48 hours ago. So I had to calm down and step away from the WRS. But I will go back because I have made promising progress and seem to generally be back in the Division 2 neighbourhood pace-wise.

At Fuji in the RX7 once again I had about 5 laps and the best thing to report there was that I have now matched my Sixaxis time up to T2 to the tenth. No full lap yet to report though as I stuffed it in T3.

And running the RoC spec stock S3 RX7 at Suzuka I managed a 2'20.0xx in free run, just 0.4 off my best sixaxis lap, and over the course of a whole Suzuka lap, I was very pleased with that, and can see where improvements can be made. The wheel makes the Suzuka hairpin, the entry to turn 1 and 130R much much better indeed, and Dunlop is superb with the level of control at my disposal now. But all this has taken a week, and everybody is constantly reminding me not to expect too much and just take it slow. I finished off today with 2 incredibly fun races with GTP_Marchbrown and GTP_fairplay_Plz in the RX7 at Suzuka. Yes I was all over the place and the slower of the 3 but it was a complete laugh and a great way to finish off the day. T&L forever ;)

All the best
Maz

Curious questions, if i'm a seasonal trackday junkie but plays GT5P with the Sixaxis, will the transition to the G25 be easier?

That's exactly what I've been wondering myself. My wheel should be here in a week or two, so I'll give you a report on how the transition goes. Being that I have a lot of real world experience on the track, behind the wheel of my car and go kart, hopefully using a wheel in a GAME won't be too foreign to me...but we shall see 👍

Maz: My Obutto racing chair came today. It's depressing just looking at the thing sitting there without the wheel and all :lol:

You're making nice progress mate, especially at Fuji! As long as you continue to make consistant improvements in your times, you shouldn't have anything to worry about 👍 As others have said, with time the speed will come back to you :dopey:

Hey Maz, I use FFB on 5. I turned it up a couple of times but went much slower. So I find that 5 works best for me.👍

Timeattack, Sounds like me. I was probably div 3-4 pace with a controller and within the first day of having my DFGT(sitting on my knees!) I went over 1 second faster. I was extremely happy with my progress. But I probably got used to it quickly since I drive Go-Karts and used to play the GP series on PC with a logitech wheel(played PC games with a wheel since I was 3). Saying that playing those games when I was young helped with the massive step to real life motorsport. Anyway, hopefully your motorsport experience helps you get used to the wheel quickly like it did for me.👍

thanks for doing this Synwraith.
my driving force pro broke a while back so im forced to race on standard physics with a controller. im just wondering if your doing this comparison between your controller and wheel times on standard physics? i know there is a clear advantage for a wheel on professional but standard physics is much closer.

Maz,

Your day 7 comments are really spot on. Like you, I am starting to find myself becoming frustrated with the seeming lack of improvement with the wheel the past couple of days. I guess maybe we are starting to hit our first "wall" so to speak, and only patience and persistence will see us through to the improved speed we planned on when purchasing the wheel. In spite of my current frustrations, in every car/track combo I have used so far, I am reminded how much more enjoyable the game is with the wheel. I can't imagine ever using a controller again.

That's exactly what I've been wondering myself. My wheel should be here in a week or two, so I'll give you a report on how the transition goes. Being that I have a lot of real world experience on the track, behind the wheel of my car and go kart, hopefully using a wheel in a GAME won't be too foreign to me...but we shall see 👍

Maz: My Obutto racing chair came today. It's depressing just looking at the thing sitting there without the wheel and all :lol:

You're making nice progress mate, especially at Fuji! As long as you continue to make consistant improvements in your times, you shouldn't have anything to worry about 👍 As others have said, with time the speed will come back to you :dopey:

You're almost there mate! Actually in your case I think it will be the same for you as it was for GTP_Bollocks/UNKNOWN/Ch4ndler_B1NG/Jinxstr/GTP_Member as he was D1 gold with pad, and was straight away as fast on wheel as well, if not faster.

I have very little real life driving experience despite having a licence and I've always played racing games with keyboard/joystick or pad so this is all utterly new to me despite hours spent on Scud Race and Daytona in the arcades in my youth :lol:

Hey Maz, I use FFB on 5. I turned it up a couple of times but went much slower. So I find that 5 works best for me.👍

This is it exactly. I'm on 4 for Eiger, and I think it helped me at Suzuka as well.

thanks for doing this Synwraith.
my driving force pro broke a while back so im forced to race on standard physics with a controller. im just wondering if your doing this comparison between your controller and wheel times on standard physics? i know there is a clear advantage for a wheel on professional but standard physics is much closer.

It was all on professional physics, my sixaxis gameplay and my current wheel gameplay. I'm really glad this has been useful to anybody 👍

Maz,

Your day 7 comments are really spot on. Like you, I am starting to find myself becoming frustrated with the seeming lack of improvement with the wheel the past couple of days. I guess maybe we are starting to hit our first "wall" so to speak, and only patience and persistence will see us through to the improved speed we planned on when purchasing the wheel. In spite of my current frustrations, in every car/track combo I have used so far, I am reminded how much more enjoyable the game is with the wheel. I can't imagine ever using a controller again.

This is very true mate, I did honestly buy this wheel to go faster and become more competitive. The fact that it is so enjoyable when there is no pressure or competition is a huge bonus and a little unexpected. So the frustration is somewhat to be expected, but your suggestion of perseverence is the only way 👍 At least we have improved mate and more will come. I can't say that I have done a single perfect lap of any track yet in this week. There are always places I think I could have gone faster or been more precise.

All the best
Maz

Maz, this is a great thread. I really think you should put things in perspective. You were an awesome driver with the sixaxis. But you reached that skill-level with YEARS of practise. So, don't mind not being so fast with a wheel ... 7 DAYS after you started using it. ;)

And be sure of this: what you complain right now (the need to be precise) is exactly what gives the edge to wheel players (the ability to be more precise with a wheel than with a controller). So, when you "get it" (and you will), the precision of he inputs will certainly make you faster.

One advice, from a "slower than you" driver that uses wheels ever since GT3, and is a G25 owner for a few months now: you don't need the 900º. With time, you'll realize that if you are using them you are losing time. The trick is to drive in a way that never forces you to steer more than 200º. Go smooth! :)

Maz,

Congrats on joining the G25 club. My only advise is get your copy of GT4. Go to Arcade mode select the Nurburgring, select the Mercedes 190 Evo and enjoy. The Merc going round there with the wheel perfectly sums up how good the wheel can be. Trust me give that combo ago.

I am now on day 100 and something and still learning, catching the slide thing is the hardest to master but I have noticed as time goes by I am improving and managing to catch slides. Catching slides is so much easier with a pad, but mastering it with a wheel is so much more rewarding.

Good Luck

Grim 👍

Maz, this is a great thread. I really think you should put things in perspective. You were an awesome driver with the sixaxis. But you reached that skill-level with YEARS of practise. So, don't mind not being so fast with a wheel ... 7 DAYS after you started using it. ;)

Very kind of you Mario, and of course you are right. If I'm not back to at least where i was after a month, I'll start to worry :D

And be sure of this: what you complain right now (the need to be precise) is exactly what gives the edge to wheel players (the ability to be more precise with a wheel than with a controller). So, when you "get it" (and you will), the precision of he inputs will certainly make you faster.

One advice, from a "slower than you" driver that uses wheels ever since GT3, and is a G25 owner for a few months now: you don't need the 900º. With time, you'll realize that if you are using them you are losing time. The trick is to drive in a way that never forces you to steer more than 200º. Go smooth! :)

Oh yeah absolutely, very good advice and a lot of guys have been saying the same thing. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of steering input now. I'm using maximum 180* for Eiger now.

Maz,

Congrats on joining the G25 club. My only advise is get your copy of GT4. Go to Arcade mode select the Nurburgring, select the Mercedes 190 Evo and enjoy. The Merc going round there with the wheel perfectly sums up how good the wheel can be. Trust me give that combo ago.

I am now on day 100 and something and still learning, catching the slide thing is the hardest to master but I have noticed as time goes by I am improving and managing to catch slides. Catching slides is so much easier with a pad, but mastering it with a wheel is so much more rewarding.

Good Luck

Grim 👍

Thanks again Jamie, it is a real thrill this thing. As for GT4, my PS2 is pretty far away and I have the 40GB version PS3 so no backwards compatibility here. I absolutely agree about the slide catching, I'm getting much better at it and it is incredibly satisfying!

All the best
Maz

It was all on professional physics, my sixaxis gameplay and my current wheel gameplay. I'm really glad this has been useful to anybody 👍

ok good to know. professional is hopeless with a controller. when my wheel broke i tried to do what your doing now only the opposite. i found i was at least 2 seconds a lap slower on Eiger with professional physics and only a half a second slower on standard.

Hello Maz, everybody:

Just a brief update of the past couple of day's progress with the wheel--

After a frustrating couple of days (yesterday and the day before) working on the EYS round 9 at suzuka in the tuned lotus, this evening's progress at the current WRS was encouraging to say the least. By no means am I setting blistering times there, but I was able to trim a significant amount of time off both my split times and my overall lap time. This was no doubt due in large part to watching ANI16's replay in the F430 (thanks ANI :cheers:)

I was hopeful the wheel would improve several aspects of my GT5P racing experience, most notably: improve the quality and consistency of my race pace (still a long way to go), as well as reduce the amount of time it takes for me to put in a respectable TT time. I've always been envious of felllows such as holl01 and Timo who are able to sit down for brief sessions very early in competitions and lay down such amazing times. I don't expect to ever be that fast, but it would be nice to be able to significantly reduce the amount of time I spend on TT's, and tonight's session at Eiger showed me that with the wheel, this is definitely possible. I am almost certain I wouldn't have been able to improve my times as quickly/efficiently with a controller.

Still, a long way to go overall, but tonight was definitely a positive step forward. Maybe it is just that the F430 Eiger combo suits me/my driving style, but I'm feeling much more positive about the prospects for continued improvement after tonight :)

Last edited:
Day 8 - 15/04/09

Day 8 sucked. A lot.

Day 9 - 16/04/09

As Carl was saying a few days ago, I too have now come up against and hit my first real barrier or wall. Actually to be fair I think the barrier hit me first. Git. No real signs of improvement here, just bucketloads of frustration and irritation at a seeming lack of progress and a real inconsistency in setting split times and laptimes at the Eiger F430 time trial in WRS 24. Every 10 or 15 laps something amazing happens in one of the three sectors which I am unable to replicate again for another 10 or 15 laps, possibly even a whole day. At least these really great individual sectors are appearing, whereas on Sixaxis they may never have appeared at all.

I also tried about 20 laps at Suzuka East in the F430 TT where I had #18 on the board but only got within 0.15 of the time I set the other day on the wheel.

I tried some fun racing as well but after a while on both days I just got sick of my friends sacrificing their own races to constantly wait for me, losing it at practically every bend over the course of a race.

I guess there are bound to be days like this, maybe even two in a row, but damn it's so hard to keep expectations in check.

If you are a long time Sixaxis user and will make the switch to wheel racing for the first time, and possibly don't have a lot of road car experience, you have to expect a few frustrating days when your negativity might get the better of you and other people just seem to accomplish things that appear impossible to you. Things that weren't impossible a few months ago.

Also have to fight the temptation to bust out the Sixaxis again just to prove to yourself that you still have that speed.

This honestly feels like I'm learning to drive again from the beginning. I've had a lot of advice but it's really difficult to decide where to start. People talking about "Setting the car up for a corner" which I'm not sure I understand fully. Some people saying time trials with the Lotus 111R will teach anyone how to drive, some say try other games with different physics to understand what the wheel is telling you (something I have a problem with currently, I seem to be fighting the wheel instead of working with it sometimes) as GT5P's FFB is far from perfect....all appreciated of course, but so so frustrating.

Despite all the above, I still managed to shave another 0.2 seconds off my WRS time yesterday. But Carl's got me beat on it so far. I have to say, competition is not actually enhancing my enjoyment of the game/wheel currently.

I think maybe a day of racing AI and trying to rediscover the full fun element again might be in order.

All the best
Maz

I think maybe a day of racing AI and trying to rediscover the full fun element again might be in order.

All the best
Maz

Maz...... even though my opinion may count for little, i have a suggestion for you which works wonders for me.

I'm not entirely sure on how long your sessions are at the wheel, but i try and limit my self to no more than 20 mins at a time, then go have a break for 15-20 or so...... have a drink, go outside, watch a bit of TV..... whatever to take your mind off the game.

Head back after that and go again.

I only stay on longer than say 20-25mins if i'm consistently setting blue sectors or chipping time off my previous best. At times i might stay on for 40-45 in that case...... If not i tend to find i'm wasting my time and i take a good break of a couple of hours or so.

Regards

Steve

Day 10 - 17/04/09

As much as I wanted to stay away from competition and time trials today, I just couldn't. I'm obsessed. I was inspired by the time trial positions thread and decided to have a shot at Aussienicko and his #1 Lotus Evora lap at Daytona Road, a track and car combination from heaven in my opinion 👍

I got the hang of it fast and really enjoyed how much easier DR is with the wheel, and the Evora is a very easy car to drive. I managed #7 on the board which I was very happy with after an hour, however on 2 separate laps I was 0.3/0.4 secs ahead of Aussienicko's ghost at T3 but the way Nick takes the bus stop in the Evora is pure magic and I couldn't match him. In fact I would lose it at the bus stop entry 9 out of 10 times. Absolutely the hardest corner for me now on G25, and it was never an issue for me really on Sixaxis. Although, now on the wheel the infield corners are an absolute dream on the wheel. I have so much more control on where I position the car and can get on the power much earlier. Lovely 👍

After this I concentrated on the WRS 24 Ferrari F430 at Eiger Nordwand. Again. I spent hours here today and after the Evora at DR, this combination was a complete nightmare for about half an hour. I asked some of my friends for advice, and Jack suggested getting on the power early and not coasting for long. I have to thank Matt, Chris, Steve, Dan and Kevin for their advice as well throughout the week. Anyhow, I managed to take a further 0.25 off my time and posted much better splits. Very regularly dipping below 30seconds in T1 with a best of 29.815. It looks like I've finally crawled back onto my Division 2 Silver pace, but let's see what the results and weekend improvements bring for the other hotshots :lol:

I also turned the FFB down to 3 and it didn't really feel like much difference but if I go back to 4 it's excessive for me at Eiger. I must be getting weaker by the day.

At the moment the 3 hardest corners for me on the G25 are as follows:

1. Daytona Road Bus Stop entry (By a long way)
2. Suzuka turn 1
3. Suzuka East last corner

osg
Maz...... even though my opinion may count for little, i have a suggestion for you which works wonders for me.

I'm not entirely sure on how long your sessions are at the wheel, but i try and limit my self to no more than 20 mins at a time, then go have a break for 15-20 or so...... have a drink, go outside, watch a bit of TV..... whatever to take your mind off the game.

Head back after that and go again.

I only stay on longer than say 20-25mins if i'm consistently setting blue sectors or chipping time off my previous best. At times i might stay on for 40-45 in that case...... If not i tend to find i'm wasting my time and i take a good break of a couple of hours or so.

Regards

Steve

Cheers Steve, that's much appreciated and very true. The longer I spend on something banging my head against a brick wall without a new clue, it just makes it worse.

All the best
Maz

Maz, it was great to see that yesterday brought further improvements for you as well. :cheers: All things considered, I think we are both progressing rather evenly, and I still contend that once you get your wheel bolted down solidly, you will be having the best of me.

In brief, after a 3 hour session tonight, I was able to shave off another .4 at the week 24 WRS, and like you, I am starting to feel very much relieved that my times are at least beginning to look like Div. 2 times.

On that note, I thought I would share with you a couple of things I have found at Eiger that are helping me so far. I tried FFB at 3 and 4 tonight and it just didn't work too well for me. After an hour or so with the wheel on these settings, I decided to go all out and try out FFB 10 for the first time. To my amazment, it wasn't nearly as violent as I thought it would be. In fact, the best way I can describe it is that it sort of takes the excess "play" out of the wheel and, to me at least, seemed to give me a little more precision with my steering inputs for the critical turn 1, 2, 3 and 4 complex. It was only after setting FFB on 10 that I was able to dip below what had been the elusive (for me :dopey:) 30 second barrier in T1.

Also, after reading your post earlier today, I decided to try and get on the gas a little earlier rather than letting the car coast as much in the slow T1 corners at Eiger, and I think that helped a bit as well 👍

Keep up the good work my friend, we are slowly but surely getting there, day by day :cheers:

I too have just got a wheel, the DFGT, and tonight was the first night I put it through it's paces. I got online pretty late, so there wasn't much going on, which usually meant a two car race, with me finishing 15 seconds ahead. So I did a lot of free runs, and started to get the feel of switching to the wheel from the DS3. It took a little while but I finally have the feel of the car back.

I ended the night, or morning rather, racing arcade with a full field. First Suzuka in an M3 with AI set at 90, I started 8th (as usual) was as low as 11th but fought my way back up to my starting position of 8th. I was in quite a battle with an S2000, which I was faster than through the twisty bits, but it blew past me on the back straight.

My second arcade run was at Daytona road course in a Ford Mustang GT, with the AI at 75. I finished 13 seconds off the lead, mid pack, and it was a heck of a lot of fun.

I ended my morning with an F40 at London, again with the AI at 75 (I've never been that good at London with the DS3). It was amazing, pro physics, no traction control, and ABS at 1, and I didn't spin out. That would have been the death of me with a DS3. I finished 3rd, and had 2nd in sight. The replay was sweet, seeing tire smoke as I accelerated away from the corners.

I'm telling anyone who hasn't gone out and bought a wheel, do it. I got a refurb DFGT off eBay for $89, and it is worth every penny. For a cockpit, I got a computer stand, also off eBay for $15, and use a small high-back chair, real ghetto, but gets the job done.

My adrenaline was pumping so hard I got dry mouth, and had to have a glass of water within reach.

When GT5 comes out, I will be in utter heaven. :drool:

great improvements Maz 👍 it took you 10 days to reach your 6axis level... thats fast... gold class is the next move! ;) just improve your RX7 record at Fugi F :P

btw in suzuka turn1.. i had also lots of troubles.. but i found that i need to brake hard (full) at the brake point but when i start to turning to right put the brake pedal on the midle otherwise ill lose it (full brake will stole you grip while turning)... the same aplyes to DR turn1!

good luck

Days 11 and 12 - 18/04/09 - 19/04/09

Thanks again to all you guys for your positive comments, this has been a fantastic place for me to come and get encouragement and superb advice over the last 2 weeks. :bowdown:

I have basically spent the last 2 days, probably a total of 6 hours, at Eiger Nordwand in the F430 time trial for WRS 24. I think I'm currently 5th in my Division in the standings, but I'm really getting the hang of this now. I think a lot of this week was actually properly learning how to drive Eiger Nordwand, something I had never managed before.

Now it's got to the point where I have the knowledge and the individual splits, knowing that if I put all 3 sectors together I will have a laptime completely unachievable for me with a Sixaxis ever. Getting it done is proving the work of nearly 40 hours so far this week.

Since my Easter holiday from work is now over, I don't expect improvements to come so fast as my time on the game will once again be vastly more limited.

I took Carl's advice and ramped the FFB up to 10 to see what it was like, and it was great fun I have to say. Really good laugh and quite the challenge, but I think...think...I could feel oversteer as soon as it started by the slight rumbling in the steering wheel that wasn't there on lower FFB during minor oversteer episodes. Eventually I settled on FFB 7 and I'm very pleased with the way it feels. Might turn it up to 8 again to be able to still drive and place the car as I want without too much pain and effort, but still have the warning signs come through the wheel.

Up until today I was knocking off roughly 0.2 secs from my F430 Eiger laptime a day. I'm reaching my limit now and I know what my target laptime will be.

Been a good couple of days and I feel I am very close to my original Sixaxis pace now, if not there already. If WRS were to end right now, I think I'd finish mid-D2, which is exactly where my Sixaxis divisional status suggested I should be.

EDIT: I am also finding that trailbraking is sooo much easier and satisfying with the wheel/pedal combo of the G25. The results of this method of braking are proving so valuable in the Eiger hairpins.

All the best
Maz

Hey Maz,

Well, I spent about 2 hours at Eiger again last night--with no improvement.
I actually saw a T1 split of 29.722 and a T2 of 49.893 in the same lap--only to lose my nerve and throw it away in the right-left kink at the tunnel exit :( :banghead: But that was a rarity. In fact, that's the only sub 29.8 split I have seen at Eiger. I think I have given this combo all that I can now. I will have another brief go tonight, fully expecting no more improvement.

I am very relieved, like you Maz, to have performed reasonably well at this week's WRS. I am still not thoroughly convinced that my overall performance is measuring up to my current division placement, but hopefully the wheel will enable me to finally perform on a par with my fellow division 2 mates in the weeks ahead.

I am pleased that the higher FFB setting was helpful for you. You described what it does more eloquently than I did. You are exactly right--the higher feedback setting does help give you a little more warning before a sudden loss of traction. Thanks to you also for your recommendations on getting on the throttle as soon as possible in the slow corners, that was a big help to me this week 👍

I am looking forward to the days and weeks to come, and seeing how the wheel treats us at a new combo :)

Hey Synwraith Congratz on the G25, once you reach your Sixaxis times, try using the 6 speed shifter with clutch.
After you get use to that
Turn ABS off by setting it to 0 and set your brake bias to 7:front 4:back(feels about right with most cars as the default 5/5 is Whack which only kicks in when ABS is off)
Once you get use to having the ABS off
Start practicing heal and toe downshift where you brake with your right foot, clutch with your left foot, downshift one gear and use heal of your right foot that is still on the brake to blip the throttle.
This really takes some time to get use to especially when you have to downshift multiple times sequentially and quickly. (watch the youtube video for a better description)
Once you get use to heal and toeing
Try practicing left foot braking where you use your clutch feet to brake and your right foot to gas at the same time to sustain balance to the front wheels while always being ready to clutch to upshift or clutch to heal and toe
SUPER FUN although it takes some time to get use to
ENJOY!👍

Last edited:
Hey Maz,

Congratulations :cheers: on your outstanding
performance in WRS week 24. You beat
me by a good margin this week. You're right
too, that was a really great combo. I am beginning
to love the F430 as well--didn't love it so much with
the controller though :lol: Maz, I am really pleased with
our times this week. It feels good to finally be performing
up to Div. 2 standards :)