Sixaxis to G25 - 1 Year

• Thread starter Synwraith
  • 254 comments
Yeah, the F430 has to be one of my favourite cars with a wheel. It's so much fun to drive with the tail wagging a bit.:P But you're right, I hated it with a controller. Great to see you two now matching your previous div 2 times. Keep up the great driving.đź‘Ť

Great Reading guys! off topic- do you think L.Hamilton can heel-toe? The world champ, Lewis Hamilton, my bad.

Last edited:
do you mean the user on GTP or the real thing? I'm 99.9999% sure the real person can ....but he wouldn't do it in the F1 car I don't think.

do you mean the user on GTP or the real thing? I'm 99.9999% sure the real person can ....but he wouldn't do it in the F1 car I don't think.

Yeah in the F1 car he wouldn't need to because of the paddle shift gearbox.
Here is Greg Murphy in Australia who doesn't use the clutch in his V8 supercar:
Here's Mark Skaife who does:

Let me say though the videos I posted aren't a great example of how to upshift.:lol: They can upshift without using the clutch because of the shift cut in there gearbox.

But the one of Skaife is a great example of heel-toe. I posted the Murphy one to show the difference.

Day 13 - 20/04/09

All day spent at Eiger in the F430 for WRS 24 again. This was the last day of the race and I was determined to make a 1'09 laptime if it killed me. The sectors were there and finally it all came together. I was really beginning to enjoy the wheel+F430+Eiger combo by this stage. This laptime for me would have been impossible with a Sixaxis, I have no doubt about that. Eiger has always been my worst track and to still put in a D2 silver standard laptime and only be 1.1/1.2 seconds off GTP_Timppaq and GTP_DHolland with less than 2 weeks on the wheel is a big achievement for me, so I feel I can hold my head up and be proud of that laptime.

The improvements are still coming, I was on average knocking off 0.150 seconds per session by the last few days of WRS 24. I'm really looking forward to going back to some other combos and trying out my improvements there. I do believe I have now achieved my first goal of matching Sixaxis pace generally.

The next goal will have to be improving on it as well as driving consistently in 5 or 10 lap races without silly errors. That will be completely different from hotlap and time trial competitions.

Hey Maz,

Congratulations :cheers: on your outstanding
performance in WRS week 24. You beat
me by a good margin this week. You're right
too, that was a really great combo. I am beginning
to love the F430 as well--didn't love it so much with
the controller though :lol: Maz, I am really pleased with
our times this week. It feels good to finally be performing
up to Div. 2 standards :)

Keep up the good work đź‘Ť

Many thanks for your encouragement and words Carl, your lap was bloody awesome as well. I think we should be real proud of what we've achieved in such a short time. That was a really really hard combo. We're definitely back on D2 terms :D

Yeah, the F430 has to be one of my favourite cars with a wheel. It's so much fun to drive with the tail wagging a bit.:P But you're right, I hated it with a controller. Great to see you two now matching your previous div 2 times. Keep up the great driving.đź‘Ť

Thanks Madison, much appreciated mate. I did really like the F430 with a controller actually but only tuned ones where the wildness was coaxed out of it. On time trials I feel it still would have been insane...especially at Eiger!

All the best
Maz

Shift cut in gearbox? what is this you speak of? kills ignition when switching gears?

Yeah, correct. This allows the V8 Supercar drivers to shift up without lifting off the accelerator and not using the clutch at all. None of them use a H pattern Gearbox anymore, but even when they did most didn't use the clutch.

Day 14 - 16 - 21/04/09 - 23/04/09

The majority of my time over the last 3 days has been spent on Daytona Road in WRS 25 driving the R34 VSpec Nur. After last week's Nightmare On Eiger this is proving to be a really simple drive. My current split times put me towards the top of the Division 2 runners at this moment in time. So I guess the answer to "How long will it take to match your Sixaxis pace?" is roughly 2 weeks for me. At places like Eiger I feel I am already faster, Daytona Road also has shown me incredible benefits on the wheel. The difficult ones are Suzuka and Fuji with the very fast direction changes and complicated long technical corners.

I think in order to know for sure, I have to now go back and revisit 512BB at Eiger Reverse as well as RX7 at Fuji.

I feel like I've had the G25 for much longer than the actual 2 weeks. I'm very comfortable sitting at the wheel, using the pedals and find it easier to reach my limit at various combos a lot sooner. I feel capable of trying a tune for 10 laps, then changing to a different tune for the next 10 laps and assessing if I'm faster or not. I am not saying I am now a qualified tuner or that I fully understand what changes have affected the car and how, all I am saying is that I can do a 10-lap run at a track like Daytona Road and be confident enough to say "This tune is faster than the previous one". With Sixaxis it took a lot longer to ascertain that kind of information due to more inconsistent driving and laptimes.

I raced some of the T&L guys at DR on Wednesday night and felt much more comfortable pushing the car near other drivers and adapting racing lines to people being around me. Yes there were still moments, yes I spun more than the rest, but the difference between racing last week during our racenight and this Wednesday was massive.

All the best
Maz

Hello Maz, everybody:

Grab your popcorn and a nice beverage, this is going to be a lengthy one...

I first shared this information with Maz via PM yesterday afternoon, and I guess I should go ahead and share it with everybody reading this thread now. I went out and bought a DFGT yesterday. Yes, I know, I already have G25. Nothing was wrong with it. It is fine, no problems. I read some comments by osrg in the Enhance Your Skills round 11 thread, in which he was describing his transition from the G25 to the DFGT. I guess I just couldn't help myself, so I went out and got a DFGT Friday afternoon to test it out.

I will completely understand if many--if not all of you--now question my sanity. Who in their right mind would go out and buy a DFGT if they had a perfectly good G25? Well, all I can tell you is that--Like Maz--the GT series is by far my favorite passtime/hobby. Up until GT5P, I had played all of the GT games against no other competition other than the pathetic AI that Kaz and crew had put in the previous games. My major source of competition was basically getting golds on the license tests, acquiring all the (good) cars, and trying to better my personal best times. I purchased the PS3 mainly to play the GT games (and to a much lesser extent, games like the GTA series). I went out and bought GT5P when it first came out, and played it for about 6 weeks, until I became somewhat bored with it. I quit playing from roughly last May until February of 2009, when I first was able to get Broadband Internet service at home. It was shortly after this, late Feb. early Mar. of this year I guess, when I stumbled upon the GTPlanet forums. Needless to say, my eyes have been opened. I have gone from thinking I was quite fast, to realizing what true speed is, and how far I need to go in order to compete with the fastest drivers here (as well as actually "earn" my Div. 2 Gold status).

After trying to compete with my sixaxis controller, I quickly realized I was never going to be fast enough, nor consistent enough to compete at the level I would like to here. So I became determined to get a wheel and dedicate myself to becoming as good of a driver as I am capable of in this game. After making steady progress with the G25 the last couple of weeks, I was feeling confident about my prospects for continued progress in the run up to (the eventual?) GT5 release. Now, my choice to go with the G25 was not a rock solid lock. I had seriously considered going with the DFGT instead. Among other things, I thought to myself "I like the wheel itself, with the button layouts, I like the fact it was developed--at least in part--with a considerable amount of input from Mr. Yamauchi himself, and top drivers like DHolland, Mad94d, and Spyrrari--among others--use it and seem to be very happy with it." So, when I read osrg's comments Thursday night, I just had an overwhelming urge to go out and try the DFGT. I thought to myself, "If I am able to gain even .1 per lap with it, it will have been worth it." I want to be the best driver I can possibly be, and I make no apologies for it. I know it looks/seems crazy :crazy:, and maybe it is :guilty:, but I will do anything I reasonably can to improve đź‘Ť

Here is what I found out last night. On the whole, the DFGT and G25 are very much on par with each other.

First, the pros of the DFGT: as most people have said, the wheel itself is the biggest strength of the DFGT. I love the extra buttons on the wheel. I can see these being much more efficient than the G25--I was using the red and black buttons on the G25 shifter for functions such as ghost and rear view. With the DFGT, you can use easily accessible buttons on the wheel itself to access these all important functions. I imagine the DFGT would have a slight edge over the G25 in a tight race in which you were constantly needing to use rear view. As far as left and right view, that's pretty much a push, as the G25 has the two red buttons located on the wheel which can be used for that.

As for force feedback, it's MUCH smoother on the DFGT than the G25. I initially started out using FFB @ 5 at this week's WRS, and found that it wasn't quite enough, so I raised it to 10 and it is ideal. Much better than FFB 10 was on the G25. Not nearly as violent. It gives you all the extra feedback on what the car is doing (i.e. before oversteer moments, etc.) without being as difficult to turn as the G25 at the same setting. I guess only time will tell how often, if at all, this will need to be adjusted from combo to combo. Also, I would echo osrg's comments on the FFB.
I would agree that there are fewer "dead spots" in the DFGT's FFB than there are in the G25, but this is only my opinion. It's very slight, but it seems that the DFGT has a more constant/consistent feel of tension/feedback than the G25 does.

As for the overall feel of the wheel, honestly the DFGT has the slightest edge based simply on the fact that overall it is slightly smoother than the G25. You don't have to be quite as forceful to reign the car in during oversteer for example.

Also, while not affecting driving performance, I am finding it useful to be able to fully use the DFGT as I would a sixaxis controller when I have to navigate through menus.

Now for the cons of the DFGT:

The pedals...The first thing I immediately noticed when driving, is that the pedals are sooo much lighter than the G25. It took me about 5 full laps at DR to finally get the hang of using them. In particular, the brake on the DFGT does not give you feedback in quite the same way as the G25, and I guess I still prefer the G25 in that department. I am finding the throttle to be just as responsive as the G25, and actually, it is somewhat less stressful on the foot muscles and lower leg muscles to use the DFGT throttle for extended periods.

The wheel noise with the DFGT is slightly annoying to me. Nothing major, but it is more noticeable than the G25.

The paddle shifters--this is probably my major complaint with the DFGT so far. I may just have short fingers, but I am finding that their location forces me to extend my middle fingers in such a way that it slightly alters the position of my hands on the wheel. After about an hour and a half session at DR tonight, I am getting more used to this, but it is still a minor source of annoyance/irritation. In this category, the G25 far surpasses the DFGT in terms of paddle shifter location and quality. Also, the DFGT shifters barely make a sound when you press them, and it is also fairly easy to miss a shift (especially downshifts, I am finding) with these shifters.

As far as mounting the DFGT, I have it mounted to my G25 edition wheelstand. I looked for a good two minutes I guess, trying to find holes in which to place the screws that went into the G25, but there aren't any such holes on the DFGT, unless I am just missing something. No worries however. It appears to be quite secure by simply clamping it to the metal plate on the wheelstand. As for the pedals, there were also no holes in which to place the screw that held the G25 pedals, but they seem to be plenty secure by simply placing them on the rubber pads on the base of the wheelstand.

All this having been said. After an hour and a half tonight, I am a little over .1 quicker through sector 3 at this week's WRS. Do I think this was due to the DFGT? Not necessarily. Before I went to bed Thrusday night, I was starting to find my rhythm at DR and had taken a little over .3 off my split times that evening. However, I have been able to continue to consolidate those gains so far with the DFGT, so it has performed really well so far, I think.

I guess my first impression when comparing the two wheels would be--near parity. I guess the choice between the two wheels would come down to each individual driver's tastes. To be honest, I don't think you could go wrong with either wheel. I guess I will know more in the days and weeks ahead. But for right now, I am going to continue to use the DFGT at least for a little while longer and see what more it has to offer.

All in all, I guess I am wishing I had had a chance to test out both wheels before I bought them. I guess I would have gone with the DFGT knowing what I know now. I would have saved about $100 on the wheel and about $30 on the wheelstand :grumpy: But hindsight is always 20/20 as they say.

Now, for those of you out there who are thinking about getting a wheel, or upgrading your current wheel, don't get me wrong.
The G25 is awesome, and I will probably go back to using it very soon (especially if I begin to find/think I may be faster by going back to it :lol:).
Plenty of fast guys (Timo, Hyperspeed, MAY, etc.) use it. If you have a G25, don't worry--You can't go wrong either way you go. The G25 and DFGT both have their advantages/disadvantages. I guess choosing which wheel is right for you all comes down to feel and personal preference. Just as some drivers prefer a "loose" setup, there are others who prefer a "tight" setup. So far, I have learned that the same concept holds true for wheels as well.

Just don't be an idiot like me, :dunce: :dopey: :banghead:

Do your homework before you buy a wheel and then stick with that wheel.
Unless you are GT-obsessed like me, in that case, I guess you will do whatever you think it takes to make yourself go faster :lol: :crazy: :dunce:

Last edited:
Awesome post, Carl :bowdown:

There's got to be so much useful information now in this thread for anyone on the verge of purchasing a wheel.

So, out of interest, which one will you be using for the forseeable future? Will you switch between them for racing/hotlapping?

All the best
Maz

Awesome post, Carl :bowdown:

There's got to be so much useful information now in this thread for anyone on the verge of purchasing a wheel.

So, out of interest, which one will you be using for the forseeable future? Will you switch between them for racing/hotlapping?

All the best
Maz

I guess right now, I'll use the DFGT a little while longer and see where it takes me. It's a little bit of a hassle to take one down and re-attach the other one to the stand, so I guess for that reason as well I'll keep the DFGT up for now. The more I think about it Maz, I wish I had just stuck with the G25. There is really so little difference. Even though I am enjoying the DFGT, you really do get your money's worth with the G25. It is such a high quality piece. Also, I haven't really seen anywhere in the forums where anyone has had any trouble with it in terms of reliability, whereas I have seen a few people who have had issues with the DFGT (Spyrrari and Mr. P, I think, come to mind).

So, don't worry my friend. We both made a superb choice in the G25 đź‘Ť

Also, congrats on your excellent pace in the last two WRS events :cheers:

Keep up the good work

Carl.......... sorry for tempting you:nervous: Welcome to the dual wheel club! I purchased the G25 back in July last year, weeks before i even purchased the PS3 or GT5P!

Great write up mate, like i said in my post, everyone feels feedback and dynamics differently, we are quite plainly polar opposites in FF levels!

I would agree on the shift buttons, they could be a little bigger but my fingers are a reasonable length and it hasn't caused me any issues so far.

Once again Carl, a fantastic review and makes mine look half-arsed!!!

Soon I'll belong to Triple wheel club ;) DFP, G25, GT 3 RS Clubsport.
hehe

In about a week I'll receive my new Fanatec wheel. I bet few others from these forums will too.. then write the review..

Logitech wheels are not the only way to go guys.. ;)

hehe

In about a week I'll receive my new Fanatec wheel. I bet few others from these forums will too.. then write the review..

Logitech wheels are not the only way to go guys.. ;)

Fine for you.....:sly: but in Australia we have no option as i'm sure the Fanatec wheel won't be available via a retail store out here......... i went to my local Dick Smith Electronics store and they had no idea if they were the distributor or not, contrary to rumors i've heard that they are.

I'd love one, it's by far the most impressive looking wheel ever made IMHO.

Yeah, I respect my Logitech wheels, but 2 year technology is getting.. OLD.. I hate that my G25 is not using FULL force feedback with Prologue.. DFP seems to be stronger with Prologue. But the Clutch and shifter of G25 makes it bit more fun, as well turning is smoother.

So like cpp214 has mentioned, research before buying..

nice write up cpp214 đź‘Ť

to be honest i would like to have more buttons on the wheel(G25) like the DFGT have but in all the rest.. hummm :P G25 was the best thing i bought in the last year :) its so "hardcore", simple, powerfull, important pieces are made in steal and the most important thing.... the CLUTCH :) this was a major thing for me to buy it! anyway DFGT still have good points on it đź‘Ť

ah.. forgot.. my wheel has already turned into smoke 2 times, had issues with the pedals (like braking for it self without i make the move) and the problems also were solved without i make anything.. and it still works very well (it makes only more noise) waf :lol: however ill take to the store before the warranty :P

No no, leave that wheel for GT5 Endurance ONLINE racing. (I know who is going to be in last place!) haha ;) That way I have better chances not to be the LAST GUY.

I guess right now, I'll use the DFGT a little while longer and see where it takes me. It's a little bit of a hassle to take one down and re-attach the other one to the stand, so I guess for that reason as well I'll keep the DFGT up for now. The more I think about it Maz, I wish I had just stuck with the G25. There is really so little difference. Even though I am enjoying the DFGT, you really do get your money's worth with the G25. It is such a high quality piece. Also, I haven't really seen anywhere in the forums where anyone has had any trouble with it in terms of reliability, whereas I have seen a few people who have had issues with the DFGT (Spyrrari and Mr. P, I think, come to mind).

So, don't worry my friend. We both made a superb choice in the G25 đź‘Ť

Also, congrats on your excellent pace in the last two WRS events :cheers:

Keep up the good work

Carl - Now that you have both, you can create the ultimate hybrid. DFGT Wheel with G25 Pedals. I think it might require a little bit of wiring magic. But I know it can be done, I've driven on one.

If you are considering it, and can't figure out how to make it work, contact Strop. That's his setup, I drove on it at one of Smallhorses' LAN events.

they make aftermarket pedals for the G25, so the wiring from logitech device to logitech device shouldnt be too bad. All the money you guys spend on cheap wheels, why not just buy 1 good 1? All that money, and you are still buying plastic stuff.

All the money you guys spend on cheap wheels, why not just buy 1 good 1? All that money, and you are still buying plastic stuff.

Read Carl's post carefully, every thing he has written. He clearly states that he did it for comparison to see which wheel serves the game better and responds more smoothly to the feedback and format of GT5P's physics. That may have nothing to do with the build materials such as stainless steel or plastic.

Carl's findings and comparison could be of massive benefit to community members that are looking for a wheel and are finding it either difficult to justify the extra money for a G25 or want to be sure that the cheaper DFGT wheel has sufficient pros and not a lot of cons that cannot be overcome.

:cheers:

All the best
Maz

Switched back to the G25 last night.
Figured I would try it out one more time before
I gave up on WRS at DR. Managed to improve my overall
time by a few tenths, but that was due more to a lucky one-time trip
through the bus stop than to a difference in the wheels.

So it looks like I will be sticking with it for awhile.
It's pretty easy to get the DFGT on the wheelstand, but it's a little bit
of a hassle to unscrew/screw back the G25.

The G25 feels pretty good actually after using the
DFGT for a little while. You really appreciate the
pedals after using the DFGT's plastic ones for a few
days. I guess my flirtation with the DFGT is on hold
for now. Oh well, at least I will have a stand-by should
something go wrong with the G25.

I was refering mostly to NoxNoctis Umbra. But Even Carl waisted his money. Anyone that has an extra 150bucks should get a G25.
I searched for about 3 minutes and found plenty of mods you can make to a G25. Why compare F1 cars (g25) to go karts (DFGT)?

Sorry for being off topic, but I dont want kids waisting their parent money, lol.

Last edited:
*G25 and DFGT Comparision*

Nice review of the two but you forgot the main PRO of the G25, the H pattern and clutch!

Thats the only reason I bought a G25, when I learn't GT5P supports it (unofficially) I bought it.

osg
Fine for you.....:sly: but in Australia we have no option as i'm sure the Fanatec wheel won't be available via a retail store out here......... i went to my local Dick Smith Electronics store and they had no idea if they were the distributor or not, contrary to rumors i've heard that they are.

I'd love one, it's by far the most impressive looking wheel ever made IMHO.

DSE has got them, but it must be one of those special large stores that don't sell all the electronic components but rather they specialise in TV's, cameras etc (Forgot the name of them). I walked into one the other day and they had a Fanatec Porsche turbo wheel in box on the shelf for $430.

*EDIT* Dicksmith Powerhouse is the name of the store that should have it, ring first though
(Thanks Jackington for reminding me :D )

Last edited:
I was refering mostly to NoxNoctis Umbra. But Even Carl waisted his money. Anyone that has an extra 150bucks should get a G25.
I searched for about 3 minutes and found plenty of mods you can make to a G25. Why compare F1 cars (g25) to go karts (DFGT)?

Sorry for being off topic, but I dont want kids waisting their parent money, lol.

Doesn't the g25 have a higher power consumption than the gt, as it has 2 ffb motors?

Doesn't the g25 have a higher power consumption than the gt, as it has 2 ffb motors?

I would imagine it does. I know comparing the two, I noticed that the DFGT housing does not get nearly as warm to the touch as the G25

Anyone that has an extra 150bucks should get a G25.

So what exactly is your point? I'm faster, substantially faster in some cases, with the DFGT.......... and i've come from a G25.

Is the G25 a better made wheel? Yes it probably is......

Is the G25 the best wheel for anyone and everyone who has aspirations to own a wheel? Who knows? Personal preference is what it is all about.

Kids wasting their parents money? I'd hardly think that there would be many parents around who would lob 300 Australian dollars or so on a wheel for a game.......

At 98 Australian dollars, the DFGT is an absolute no brainer, no matter what way you try to validate your love in with the G25.

Time to stop hijacking Synwraiths thread anyways..........

osg
At 98 Australian dollars, the DFGT is an absolute no brainer, no matter what way you try to validate your love in with the G25.

Exactly, $98 AUD is an absolute bargain, thats about the retail price of a DS3 here. No other wheel comes near the value of the DFGT that I am aware of in Australia.

(words from a G25 user)

Back