Sixaxis to G25 - 1 Year

• Thread starter Synwraith
  • 254 comments
Hey Solarr, I had the same experience- time made it all go away. I think after 20 or 30 hours of driving, the pedals felt totally normal to me. I'm sure if I went back to the DFGT the pedals would feel as alien as the G25 ones did at first.

Also, if any of the pedals are too firm (or too soft) for your liking, you can experiment with that by buying a replacement spring of a different resistance level. A hardware store or plenty of online stores should have what you need.

:dopey:

lrgsteeringwheelcoverwh.jpg

Thanks for the help El Z. Anyone else with the G25 shoeless here?

Regarding the pics Too Too Funny:lol:

I wrapped mine with Bicycle handle bar tape, like you'd find on a racing bicycle... Not easy to get it looking pretty though.

I was thinking about the same thing, but esthetically it's just a no no. I have an idea, but it'll take some looking at the crafts store first though. Will keep you guys posted.

I was thinking about the same thing, but esthetically it's just a no no. I have an idea, but it'll take some looking at the crafts store first though. Will keep you guys posted.

Function > Form - The wheel is there to be used, it is not an ornament. ;)

Thanks for the help El Z. Anyone else with the G25 shoeless here?

When mine was set up, I wore socks. Otherwise, with shoes, I couldn't feel which pedals I was using properly. I think when I set it up next, I'll try with my new shoes, their soles are a lot thinner. I don't heel-toe or anything fancy like that, so I haven't had any difficulties there. I really should try to set it up again... I played with a pad the other week, and it just wasn't the same.

Function > Form - The wheel is there to be used, it is not an ornament. ;)

Agreed, but i do bike quite a bit. Unlike the bike, your hands move around quite a bit more with the wheel rather than the bike handle bar. It will eventually be very sticky. I hate that feeling. I'm thinking more like the wrapping on the tennis racket. It has the cushioning and the grip that I'm looking for. Opinions welcome.

Improved again with the G25. I just beat my personal best with the DFGT time at Suzuka in free run........ 1'59.706.

Last edited:
1 year

As there's been a little activity in this thread recently, and seeing as it's April and a whole year now since I gave up Sixaxis use and bought a G25 steering wheel, I figured it was a decent time for an update. Hopefully it'll be an interesting read for anyone still on the fence about whether or not to make the transition from pad to wheel in the run up to the eventual release of GT5.

Just yesterday I decided to go back to the GTP Spec III Qualifier (also IFTC Race 1) combo, Fuji Speedway F arcade time trial in the Mazda RX-7 on S2/S2 to see if I had improved any from the last time I ran it back in July 2009. At that stage I had a 1'54.941 which had me down to 96th or something on that supremely competitive board. After an hour of getting back into the combo I was ahead of it by a reasonable amount, but by the end of my sessions I had reached 1'54.323, which was approximately 0.620 faster than my previous best! And, pretty much 1 second a lap faster than my sixaxis best. Looking at the board, I can see a number of D1 Gold qualifier laps below my 25th place on the board, so a marked improvement even compared to 2 months ago, let alone a year ago or 9 months.
http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt5p/ranking/co9ca37s1m0.html

Nowadays, consistency is not a problem at all. 10 lap races can be done all within the same 2 or 3 tenth bracket. I see a lot of other guys with time trialling talent I still cannot match though, even GTP_CarlPKY who got a wheel at the same time as me and we progressed together, his TT ability is now as good as the best in the world, I feel at Suzuka and also in the Indy GT5 Demo TT I was about 0.2 to 0.3 seconds a lap behind now. But I feel my racing has remained at the same if not slightly better level than Carl's, so we developed a little differently over the last year.

One thing I am very happy with is that at Suzuka, with any given combo, I can now TT in the highest bracket whereas before I would always fall just short of breaking into the 1'51s at 800PP or the 2'14s at 550PP etc, a good example are these recent leaderboards:

Lotus 111R Tuned at 700PP Suzuka:
http://www.gtdb.net/?laps/1/700/34/*/3

Honda NSX-R at 550PP Suzuka:
http://www.gtdb.net/?laps/1/550/2/*/3

Ferrari F40 at 700PP Suzuka:
http://www.gtdb.net/?laps/1/700/36/*/3

and of course qualifying for the UK national finals of GT Academy, a feat that would have been flat impossible without a a good 9 months of wheel use behind me:
http://www.gtdb.net/?tt/61

I feel my own personal best talent at GT5P is now the ability to actually reproduce my best free run/TT laps in a race situation, something I feel not too many drivers can do, especially when my free run pace is only 0.1 or 0.2 off the best in the world (or at least GTDB :lol: ). I have regularly matched or run within about 0.05 of my best WRS or free run laptime while actually in a race without slipstream.

Looking at the RX7 Fuji lap yesterday, and the ability to stay within a tenth or three of geniuses like Ramon and now Carl at a place like Suzuka, I'm hoping D1 gold isn't too far off. But that's really not the important thing here, it's taking a step back and realising that the wheel purchase has taken in the region of 1 to 2 seconds per lap off my ultimate pace depending on the circuit, something I thought impossible when I came online at GTP. Everyone else has of course moved on too, even the people we considered aliens already 2 years ago, this is evidenced by the fact that newer and faster laps keep getting posted at GTDB when events cycle round again.

Just for anyone who's interested, I still use my plank/shoebox rig (:indiff:) and FFB 3 on GT5P, FFB 2 was what I found most fruitful on the GT5 TT Demo.

EDIT: Added links to all the separate entries on the first post 👍

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
👍 You will defently make D1 Gold! I am thinking of getting a wheel when mine internship is done. I just don't have the time for it now wich kinda sucks. But its nice to see there is alot of improvement made.

Great success Maz, and I have to say with that setting (shoeboxes & plank) you still have plenty of undiscovered speed in you 👍 (actually might be part of the difference between you & Carl that you mentioned.. proper rig will have the most effect on 101% fast TT lap) so I really hope you'll get a proper racing cockpit soon.. maybe I'll sent you one to test when I get my project a few steps forward :D

The thread has been really enjoyable read and anyone considering the change from sixaxis to wheel should not wait a day longer. A whole different world awaits you! :cheers: 👍

I have had my G25 for slightly over a year. It is not hard for me to believe that anything in this world can be conquered with 2 things: time, and will power.

When I had first started using my wheel, I had never used pro physics, so the names we are use to today were foreign back then. But, it was plain to see who to shoot for, and they were miles away! I've topped Takeuchi at Suzuka (only to be beat later by Carl! :lol:), and FAK at High Speed Ring, and have only been beat by Ramon with one of my fav combos.

...And my wheel wiggles up and down, and back and forth. ;)
Also, after a couple of violent saves, my wheels calbraton will get messed up and sit on an axis. Needless to say, driving is very difficult when that happens, and a G27 for X-mas is the only answer!

You know, I started "simulator" racing 1 year ago with the G25 from the start.

Still have a lot to learn on racing, apart from using the steering wheel, with the 6-axis that I do not use very much (mostly for drifting), I used to be about 1 sec of the time with the wheel.

So maybe the G25 is not the only improvement, what can you do today with the 6-axis?

You know, I started "simulator" racing 1 year ago with the G25 from the start.

Still have a lot to learn on racing, apart from using the steering wheel, with the 6-axis that I do not use very much (mostly for drifting), I used to be about 1 sec of the time with the wheel.

So maybe the G25 is not the only improvement, what can you do today with the 6-axis?

I wouldn't really be able to do a proper test as I haven't raced with Sixaxis for a year, so I'd be too affected by a lack of familiarity.

Having said that, I am currently 0.5s a lap faster at Suzuka in the same car than when I last did the same 512BB event. I would still say that 75% of my improvement is due to the wheel, because there are just some cornering techniques I couldn't implement on a Sixaxis.

All the best
Maz

So i just compared my best time with the Clio Sport at Suzuka 550pp going back to about 8 months ago with the pads it was 2'17.1s at best. This past month with the with the same car, I'm at 2.14.235s. If you like racing games, and want to be faster please do yourself a favor and purchase a wheel. I started out with the DFGT, and now I own the G25 and most likely will update to the G27, once GT5 is release.

Fantastic thread and great write up maz. I'm currently embarking on a similar mission. Always played gt games on a pad and I am half decent but no expert.

Just got myself a dfgt and wheelstand pro on Xmas eve so had just over a week with it now. Firstly I cannot believe I have never tried a wheel before. It's just an amazing experience and the immersion is out of this world. My first day I was terrible with it. I couldn't keep my cars on track at all and throttle/brake control was well off.

1 week later and I've improved a great deal on gt5. I will point out as well that I've always been a AT guy as well so not only have I switched to a wheel/pedals but I'm also a manual gears noob as well but I'm really pleased with my progress so far.
I've golded the mini and mustang seasonal events so I guess I'm doing ok.

Back