Mad FinnTuners Co. - Finished 081213 - The Final Countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1, OUT!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 1,705 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nato_777 - Thanks for proving the soundness of the setup! It's incredible how small the actual changes in the car's specs were but it's nearly ten seconds faster per lap, mainly because now the rear wheels are doing something for their living. I have a feeling that's roughly how the real deal handles right out of the dealership but PD screwed up with it and this isn't even the first time they've done it.

krioto - I have to ask, SRF on or off? It would explain the lack of understeer as well as the oversteer on the Fiat which is something I couldn't extract myself no matter what. I could get 1'11 without it (just tried) though so perhaps there's just something else going on. Good to hear that someone likes cars of this style too!

JLawrence - Got to fight quantity with quality. ;)

Hi Greycap - all aids off except ABS = 1.

I think I just got used to driving the Micra, and knew how far to push before it would lose it. I thought both cars were great, and lots of fun to drive. The Micra I managed to tame, whereas the Fiat is a little monster.:)

08H4D204203842AA.jpeg

Lotus Evora Review By: JLawrence
All testing of this car was done on the full Suzuka Circuit.

I found this to be a very fun car to drive, with lots of semi-controlled drifts around the sweeping corners in the front half of the course. I did however, have problems under braking, especially going into the 180 degree hairpin under the bridge. The car wanted desperately to push to the outside of the track, and on occasion caused me to drop a tire or go around, although, the more time I spent driving it, the more time it grew on me. I found, with easy throttle application, and slower entry speeds it was indeed a very quick car, not quite a point and shoot sort of deal like a M3 GTR, but it does allow for a very precise driving line provided you take the time to learn the braking points in the track. But. And I know you hate the buts. I couldn't see myself using this car for anything more than cruising. It is a brilliant car, no doubt, but it doesn't suit my driving style for door to door action. All in all though I will have to give it a 7.5/10. Good work guys.

Fast Lap: 2:12.014

Spoon NSX-R '02 – Review

This review was going to be me going on and on and on over the Mad Finns take on the NSX. It's a great car, it handles like a dream, it can get crazy, it can stick a nice line as well.

But then I thought a picture tells a thousand words, so a few pics might give you most of the story about how much I love driving this car:

6121421161_5f1810a945.jpg

6121424417_6c454bdf68.jpg

6121966764_12fd96db52.jpg

6121966320_9f4b666189.jpg

6121423359_199301720a.jpg

6121423909_e1e8948a98.jpg

6121964358_ea71c0acff.jpg

6121965170_0d9d6d7e01.jpg

6121423081_84650c232c.jpg

and we both lived happily ever after....... until

Last edited:
ProtoMotors Spirra SC II '04 - Review

HOLY ****!!!!

The above was going to be my review in entirety but the Spirra is looking over my shoulder as I type this, and I don't want to get into another argument with her....she's still angry about not being a premium model.

The big red 'E' has been warning me off trying the Spirra for quite a while, but after countless kilometres in the Spoon NSX MFT-tune, it seemed like the logical step up, from MR-crazy to MR-bat**** insane.

Testing was done once again on Trial Mountain, so I applied the tune and headed off once more around the mountain.

I also chose to test the Spirra in two parts:

- Part 1 - focus on speed, handling, laptimes
- Part 2 - fun factor

6127278365_7c135e5f18_z.jpg

----------

Part 1:
First lap around I took it easy getting used to the car. It feels good, really good. Blistering take-off down the long straight and once again Greycap's transmission is perfectly spaced.

I gingerly took the corners, quite slowly actually, easing on the brakes and letting the car swing itself around. No problems, it took the turns well, with a slight back-end flick out when the throttle is applied before truly straightened up - just how I like it.

Second lap, I started to push it, and immediately got tossed spinning into the wall. The torque is incredible, and quickly explained the use of the racing medium tyres. There's so much power waiting to be put down on the road. You cannot drive this car like others - it demands respect, and if you're less than polite, it will hurt you. At times I felt like a pinball in the tunnel on TM, as I'd get on the gas too hard and heavy on exit of the corner going in and ping between the walls as I tried to recover the slide, or stop from spinning out.

After a few more trips off track I started to understand what I could and couldn't do. It took me a quite a few laps to get the hang of this car, but once you do, it's a marvel. You need to master throttle control to master this car - really deft control. The car feels very centred (by this I mean that the ride feels responsive and smooth) - I can't explain it better than that - but it is a joy to drive - once you know how to drive it.
Every lap I put down I learnt more and improved my times. Picking the right line is essential, and I also found that easing onto the brake before the corner increased stability when turning, and helped line the Spirra up for a quick exit.

As a rule, for me, flat to the floor acceleration was only possible if I was lined up straight - when tried mid-turn, the Spirra bucked me off.

To sum up Part 1 - fast, quite very fast. Superb handling - once you know how to drive her. My best lap around TM came in at 1.23, but with consistent 1.24/5's.

I'm by far not the best driver, but to me, this felt fast. I think I'm hampered somewhat by using X as the accelerator - but I can't re-learn to drive using the triggers to accelerate/brake. This can make driving high-torque cars difficult at times, but practice soon sorts this out.

6127278075_ce7071f6b4_z.jpg

------------

Part 2:
Now with the sensible part of the review out of the way, onto the crazy!

The Spirra makes the Spoon NSX look like a kiddie’s car. Whereas the NSX slides/drifts at will, when I first started really throwing the Spirra into turns for the same effect it more often than not ended in tears.
Let's just say I'm glad that damage does not carry over after the race.

As before with controlling the throttle, to get the best sideways action out of the Spirra, you need to pay attention to what she says she will and won't do. The cornering ability on this tune is remarkable - it turns in at the merest hint of input, so inducing a slide is child's play. Controlling it and coming out the other end intact is what you need to worry about.

There's a knife-edge of difference between the perfect drift through a corner, and a screaming smoking mess, and this is never more true when behind the wheel of this car.

When you get it right, it feels so good and the Spirra responds beautifully.
When you screw it up - it's always your fault; Spirra does not apologise.

-------------

So, thanks Greycap for the driving lesson, and for yet another inspiring tune.

In terms of driving in GT5, I've never felt such a sense of accomplishment/achievement than from when I finally mastered this car. This is not a pick-up-and-play tune. You need to concentrate and learn from your mistakes. But the rewards are there every lap. The Spirra is brutal maniac of a car, but treat her nice, and she'll pay you back in kind.

What are you waiting for people - fire up the game and get in this car now!

6127826050_f80b4ef4b3_z.jpg

I don't understand what you're talking about, the Spirra is the easiest car to drive MFT has ever done.

It was that way in GT4 even!

All I can say at those reviews is that agreed, a picture indeed does the job better than a thousand words! The Spirra is a creature of its own class but that's just what makes it so great, the brutal low end torque is seldom seen in a car like that. Not to mention that if you can drive that one fast, you can drive just about anything pretty damn fast.

These 2 really are top tunes, both MR but a world of difference. The NSX is the little bro of the Spirra.

Next up I think I'll either review the Robin or the GT fo SHO.

Robin? Big brother of the Alpine? In that case, I need to know your dimensions, I need to order a custom-made carbonfiber coffin.. Oh, and should it be wet or dry carbon?

Robin? Big brother of the Alpine? In that case, I need to know your dimensions, I need to order a custom-made carbonfiber coffin.. Oh, and should it be wet or dry carbon?

Indeed - I've been driving the little bird around the Ring, and have been pleasantly surprised - yes it is a blood-thirsty, axe-wielding maniac (can cars become like their tuners....) but it is quite a nice ride.

I just wanted to give you mad props for your Spirra tune... You weren't kidding around, the thing is a beast and will splatter your guts on the wall if given the chance! (I never actually drove it on GT4).

I found it very difficult to control the rear, so I added 67kg to the rear ballast and changed the brake bias to 8/5. These two changes made me feel safer and made the car easier to control. I had a problem with decreasing radius turns, such as Suzuka's spoon or a particular turn in Grand Valley. Unfortunately this will make you come a few points short of 600 PP.

Thanks for such an enjoyable tune. 👍

I have always liked your tunes since GT4. I was wondering if you would attempt a tune on the Lexus LFA. I love the way the car looks but I was wanting a good tune. The car seems persnickety and likes to punish me with over steer.

I've been honing and polishing one for a while, it will be released once we've done some standards first.

Sounds very cool indeed! It's about time the LF-A got a high-class tune to go with the looks and noise.

By the way, MFT, I created your GT-R SpecV N1 a couple of months back... and I have to say it's possibly the greatest car I've ever driven. Perfect handling, on rails but not so much you can't have fun with it... and it's soooo quick! HUGE Kudos to you with that one especially! 👍

II found it very difficult to control the rear, so I added 67kg to the rear ballast and changed the brake bias to 8/5.
That's a very interesting (and confusing) trick, adding more weight to the rear should make it even more oversteery. The brakes I understand but the weight simply doesn't make sense as it increases the pendulum effect. Not that it ever becomes an easy car to drive, no matter what you do to it!

cryptomanic - Just wait and see what I'll come up with to accompany it!

GTAndy36 - The stablemate, the Group A Evolution, gets the same result with even more of the fun factor. Loose is fast, at least in this case.

Yes, I've also built the Group A car too. And yes, it's also great :) I just love the N1 a little bit more, seems to hit the sweet spot for me.

Good to hear that our new Godzillas have found proud owners. Now, today, we're going to release two grand tourers, old and new.

Aston Martin Vanquish GT '04

584 bhp, 638 Nm, 1384 kg, PP 558
Painted in Grasmere Blue from Aston Martin

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Exhaust
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: ~150.000 Cr plus the actual car and its possible overhauling

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.004
2nd: 2.001
3rd: 1.500
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
6th: 0.850
Final Gear: 3.850

Max speed: 380 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 10
Acceleration Sensitivity: 30
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 12.0 / 10.0
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 8
Dampers (Compression): 5 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 / 5
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 1.5
Toe Angle: 0.00 / -0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 5 / 7

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Every time I hear the words "Grand Tourer" there's only one type of car in one type of image that springs into mind. It's one of those big Aston Martins zooming past small villages in the countryside.

Against that background it's no miracle that the target for the past week has been the used-to-be flagship of Aston Martin, the formidable Vanquish with its huge V12 powerplant. There's no doubting this car is fast as it is but there's also no doubting it can be made faster still. Following the path of the Ferrari-beating DBR9 this big chunk of quality metal was given a thorough overhauling making it one of the best GT cars on the streets. We ordered a Le Mans spec suspension kit for it and the guys at AM said that it'd probably handle brilliantly right out of the box. They were exactly right. We decided to do some modifications of our own though as that's where the uniqueness and fun lies and it also improved the handling on the extreme limits. To help propelling the immense weight around the engine went through an extensive rebuild program and received a couple of new parts in the process, the power being increased by almost a hundred horses. But there's still something needed between a good engine and a good suspension so the factory racing team guys delivered a racing drivetrain for us and that was what finally harnessed all the potential of the powerhouse. As the final touches some extra weight was stripped off this morning, trackday tyres were fitted and the car rolled out of the workshop. Ferrari can keep all their 599s, they have nothing to say to this British aristocrat when it comes to style and driving pleasure.

M-B SL500 Great white'98

594 bhp, 856 Nm, 1358 kg, PP 557
Painted in Glacier White from Mercedes Benz

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Oil Change
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Supercharger
Fully Customizable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

Overall cost: ~250k

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.638
2nd: 2.397
3rd: 1.718
4th: 1.306
5th: 1.050
Final Gear: 2.647

Max speed: 320 km/h

Fully Customizable LSD
Initial Torque: 50
Acceleration Sensitivity: 30
Braking Sensitivity: 10

Suspension
Ride Height Adjustment (mm): 0 / 0
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 7.5 / 5.0
Dampers (Extension): 10 / 10
Dampers (Compression): 2 / 2
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 / 4
Camber Angle (-): 2.0 / 1.5
Toe Angle: 0.0 / 0.30

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 2 / 8

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 1

Usually, when you think "Grand Tourer from Mercedes Benz", you think of the S-class wafting you away on a cloud of refinement and quality, unmatched by any other manufacturer. Well, now there's another one, but instead of wrapping you into a cloud of comfort and luxury, it makes you breath in the bitter cloud of tyre smoke and keep straining your neck as you look out from the side window. Never before has big M-B's been fun to drive, especially not the former overweight flagship models. But now that has been changed. This is the "Great White" package from MFT. As the namesake, it's huge, heavy and hasn't changed a bit since the dinosaurs. It's also the apex predatoron any track, and it catches every single one of those apexes while sliding sideways, roaring triumphantly through those meaty quad exhausts. With this beast, you have to make your intentions clear, take a tight hold of its neck, then shake briskly. Then, you might stay on the road. If you fail at this, it will take you with it to the murky depths of kitty litter zones. Have fun!

ProtoMotors Spirra SC II '04 - Review

HOLY ****!!!!

The above was going to be my review in entirety but the Spirra is looking over my shoulder as I type this, and I don't want to get into another argument with her....she's still angry about not being a premium model.

The big red 'E' has been warning me off trying the Spirra for quite a while, but after countless kilometres in the Spoon NSX MFT-tune, it seemed like the logical step up, from MR-crazy to MR-bat**** insane.

Testing was done once again on Trial Mountain, so I applied the tune and headed off once more around the mountain.

I also chose to test the Spirra in two parts:

- Part 1 - focus on speed, handling, laptimes
- Part 2 - fun factor

6127278365_7c135e5f18_z.jpg

----------

Part 1:
First lap around I took it easy getting used to the car. It feels good, really good. Blistering take-off down the long straight and once again Greycap's transmission is perfectly spaced.

I gingerly took the corners, quite slowly actually, easing on the brakes and letting the car swing itself around. No problems, it took the turns well, with a slight back-end flick out when the throttle is applied before truly straightened up - just how I like it.

Second lap, I started to push it, and immediately got tossed spinning into the wall. The torque is incredible, and quickly explained the use of the racing medium tyres. There's so much power waiting to be put down on the road. You cannot drive this car like others - it demands respect, and if you're less than polite, it will hurt you. At times I felt like a pinball in the tunnel on TM, as I'd get on the gas too hard and heavy on exit of the corner going in and ping between the walls as I tried to recover the slide, or stop from spinning out.

After a few more trips off track I started to understand what I could and couldn't do. It took me a quite a few laps to get the hang of this car, but once you do, it's a marvel. You need to master throttle control to master this car - really deft control. The car feels very centred (by this I mean that the ride feels responsive and smooth) - I can't explain it better than that - but it is a joy to drive - once you know how to drive it.
Every lap I put down I learnt more and improved my times. Picking the right line is essential, and I also found that easing onto the brake before the corner increased stability when turning, and helped line the Spirra up for a quick exit.

As a rule, for me, flat to the floor acceleration was only possible if I was lined up straight - when tried mid-turn, the Spirra bucked me off.

To sum up Part 1 - fast, quite very fast. Superb handling - once you know how to drive her. My best lap around TM came in at 1.23, but with consistent 1.24/5's.

I'm by far not the best driver, but to me, this felt fast. I think I'm hampered somewhat by using X as the accelerator - but I can't re-learn to drive using the triggers to accelerate/brake. This can make driving high-torque cars difficult at times, but practice soon sorts this out.

6127278075_ce7071f6b4_z.jpg

------------

Part 2:
Now with the sensible part of the review out of the way, onto the crazy!

The Spirra makes the Spoon NSX look like a kiddie’s car. Whereas the NSX slides/drifts at will, when I first started really throwing the Spirra into turns for the same effect it more often than not ended in tears.
Let's just say I'm glad that damage does not carry over after the race.

As before with controlling the throttle, to get the best sideways action out of the Spirra, you need to pay attention to what she says she will and won't do. The cornering ability on this tune is remarkable - it turns in at the merest hint of input, so inducing a slide is child's play. Controlling it and coming out the other end intact is what you need to worry about.

There's a knife-edge of difference between the perfect drift through a corner, and a screaming smoking mess, and this is never more true when behind the wheel of this car.

When you get it right, it feels so good and the Spirra responds beautifully.
When you screw it up - it's always your fault; Spirra does not apologise.

-------------

So, thanks Greycap for the driving lesson, and for yet another inspiring tune.

In terms of driving in GT5, I've never felt such a sense of accomplishment/achievement than from when I finally mastered this car. This is not a pick-up-and-play tune. You need to concentrate and learn from your mistakes. But the rewards are there every lap. The Spirra is brutal maniac of a car, but treat her nice, and she'll pay you back in kind.

What are you waiting for people - fire up the game and get in this car now!

6127826050_f80b4ef4b3_z.jpg

Hello, and sorry for quoting this entire wall of text, but can someone please point to me a link as to where this tune exists?

Have a nice day!

edit: so sorry, rather than deleting this post, I will just say I am effing blind!

now where did I put my braille HUD...

I've tried many of your tunes since gt4 and wanted to let you guys know that you have magnificent tunes. Definitely some of the most fun cars I've driven. I'll try to give some of them a proper review in the near future.

@Lambob all the links are on the 1st page in the opening post.

Last edited:
Wow, you've really grown in popularity since my last visit, eh? (Not that I'm saying you weren't popular to begin with, obviously *hides behind Tank Car to avoid Leonidae's axe*) Just so you know, I featured your RS200 in a small review. In fact, I wouldn't call it a review at all, just me screaming as the turbos kick in…

And I see a tune for the R32, the R34, and the *ahemR35cough*, but what of the R33?

As usually is the case, the R34 tune fits the R33 like a glove. 👍
Aren't you the smart one? :lol: :D Yea, I was just curious as to why there wasn't any love for the R33, I wasn't asking for a tune :lol: Anyways, before Leonidae cracks my skull open with that axe of his for spamming again, I better get writing.

There's no tune for the R33 as both of us hate that car. It doesn't have the cool angles and sheer badassery of R32, nor the refinement and threatening looks of R34.. it's just a bland, overweight, sluggish mid-90's sports coupe that looks like 2-door Ford Mondeo from that era.

There's no tune for the R33 as both of us hate that car. It doesn't have the cool angles and sheer badassery of R32, nor the refinement and threatening looks of R34.. it's just a bland, overweight, sluggish mid-90's sports coupe that looks like 2-door Ford Mondeo from that era.
:lol: weirdly, the same can be applied to the R35, which is equally bland, overweight, sluggish and looks like a pile of cow crap that's been smacked relentlessly with a spade. But I rather like the R33…especially when it's yellow and has 1000hp! :D

As a matter of fact, I have a yellow R33 in my inventory which I've been planning to tune some day but it's just... perhaps "unimpressive" is the correct word. If I can find a way to make it enjoyable I'll release it but that might take some time. Or if you're burning to get your hands on it, you can write a worthy review and speed up the process. ;)

As a matter of fact, I have a yellow R33 in my inventory which I've been planning to tune some day but it's just... perhaps "unimpressive" is the correct word. If I can find a way to make it enjoyable I'll release it but that might take some time. Or if you're burning to get your hands on it, you can write a worthy review and speed up the process. ;)
I would, but I'm currently writing a review for a stock R33……and you're tempting me………argh………damn……fine. Since I've tripped over a stock Vanquish and feel the need to act like Bond, I'll give that a thrash. And I'll be trying to tame that oversteery monster known as the Spirra as well. With a mere DS3 :scared::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back