What kind of TV are you playing GT4 on?

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 47 comments
I've got two rigs setup. The main is on a 36" Sony XBR CRT television with an S-video cable. The other is on a 22" Multisync with Trinitron picture tube with component to a VGA box to VGA to the monitor. Although the monitor is pretty detailed, I much prefer the TV because of size and for whatever reason, the color is much better (one of this particular VGA box's shortcomings).

I'll go with a 50" (or bigger) 1080P LCD in the future if I decide to upgrade to another console system.

I`m playing on Philips TV (CRT). Everything is ok, until I leave menu or something any else screen where is no motion and then in approx. 2 minute time slowly appears 2 color spots. One blue, 2nd yellow. When I start playing, and on screen is motion, spots slowly disappears. See attached photo. Where is the problem and how can be this solved? Speakers and magnets have never been close to TV.

Attachments

• DSC00068.JPG
    DSC00068.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 17
I`m playing on Philips TV (CRT). Everything is ok, until I leave menu or something any else screen where is no motion and then in approx. 2 minute time slowly appears 2 color spots. One blue, 2nd yellow. When I start playing, and on screen is motion, spots slowly disappears. See attached photo. Where is the problem and how can be this solved? Speakers and magnets have never been close to TV.
It looks like it's internal degaussing coils are not functioning correctly. Before I did anything else, I'd first try using an external degausser and see if that clears it up. Based on the photo, that is what appears to be the problem.

I play on a 27" standard def 4:3 Sharp CTR TV. Hooked up component video cables. With my Driving Force Pro setup, my eyeballs are about 48" away from the screen. For normal games or watching DVDs I don't sit that close, but it works out real nice with GT4 and the wheel.

It still kind of freaks me out how good properly adjusted SD CRTs can look, even with the oldish hardware that is the PS2.

Anyway, it sounds like you guys have most of this TV stuff covered, but here's a tip to make any TV you own look better... get a test DVD and adjust the picture settings.

If you own a DVD with "THX Optimizer" listed as an extra, that will work just fine. Or if you want to get down in the weeds, pick up Digital Video Essentials, or the Avia disk.

The reason is most TVs are set from the factory with the picture controls amped way up, so the sets will "pop out" when all of the TVs are lined up at the store. Then you get it home and the picture looks too intense.

For those of you rocking $2000+ HDTVs, why not spend a couple hundred more and have an IFS (Imaging Science Foundation) certified tech come over to do a display calibration? They bring testers and analyzers and get down into the service menus, tweaking the picture better than your average person could.

No, I am not an IFS calibrator...

Rock on.

No, I am not an IFS calibrator...
I am, although not as a business, I enrolled in the seminars and received my certification five years ago for the sole purpose of getting a better understanding on front projection calibration, getting to play around with the latest $,$$$ calibration equipment from Sencore and a $100,000 prototype digital projector, but most of all, an opportunity to pick the brains of Joel Silver and Jim Burns, two very experienced and highly opinionated video experts. 👍👍

I also second all your recommendations, although these days, as much as I respect highly qualified ISF calibrationists, these days you no longer have to use $,$$$ pieces of equipment to properly calibrate a display. For serious DIY calibrationists, I highly recommend Malori Colorfacts, but if you are on a really tight budget and you trust your eyes to see very small differences in luminance and color, you can make your own D65 lamp for under $20, and then use the display's service menu to adjust the grayscale accordingly to match the lamp.

Making things even better for the consumer and worse for professional calibrators is that unlike years past, many displays now come calibrated close to D65, or at least have a D65 setting that is fairly accurate. This is largely in thanks to the ever growing population of die-hard videophiles who relentlessly educate their friends on the importance of a properly calibrated display, as well as improved technology making it much easier for manufacturers to produce properly calibrated displays right out of the box. 👍👍

That being said, the THX optimizers are free, and fairly decent, and both Digital Video Essentials and AVIA are both quite good and cheap, and have far more advanced tips on calibrating as well as the necessary test patterns to fully check a display’s capability beyond just calibrating it… which in most cases is where these discs will come in handy the most. I use these discs all the time when doing display analysis and comparisons.

There are also other test software and discs, including new ones for HD DVD and Blu-ray.

40" FullHD LCD (Samsung LE40M86).

To answer the thread title: What kind of TV are you playing GT4 on?

• 98" 1080p FP LCD from 10' away (1.4 D:W) Theater
  • 47" _720p RP DLP from 12' away (3.5 D:W) Family Room
  • 42" 1080p DV LCD from 11' away (3.6 D:W) Bedroom
  • 21" _480i DV CRT from _3' away (2.0 D:W) Office

GT-addiction maybe? "Another hard day at the office playing GT4..." :D

I 'm now using a 19" Insignia HDTV for GT4: quite nice picture quality, but Enthusia in SD look's crappy on it - much better on a SDTV...

Just bought a 50" Sony RPHDTV (SXRD), which I may try with GT4.

Also, I wear Sennheiser headphones for sound quality, rather than a speaker system.

Older Panasonic 47" HDTV. It has no DVI or HDMI, but it's been a durable TV, and I've had zero problems with it in about 4 - 5 years I've owned it. I've had really good luck with Panasonics. 👍

• 98" 1080p FP LCD from 10' away (1.4 D:W) Theater
  • 47" _720p RP DLP from 12' away (3.5 D:W) Family Room
  • 42" 1080p DV LCD from 11' away (3.6 D:W) Bedroom
  • 21" _480i DV CRT from _3' away (2.0 D:W) Office
Holy crap, D-N. If I crash my car on the 98", I might actually have to close my eyes. :D

I am now playing it on my 21" CRT monitor, using VIVO on my graphics card... Looks surprisingly good. The colour's a bit washed out, but at least it isn't too blurry :)

Saves me paying out for a TV license...

my home set up 52" 1080 dlp 10' +- away :D:tup:
lan set up
34" 1080 crt end of cockpit :)
25" sd crt end of cockpit
all ps2
seems the bigger the tv the more you need 1080
dont have ps3 but has to be even better looking

i play on a 25" panasonic crt tv without any of this 1080 hdtv crap, it's just a 100 Hz tv and it feels good. the funny thing is that i bought this tv a year ago and it was just a bit cheaper than a similar-sized lcd. but i don't like the feel of lcd for tv (i don't sit too close) and plasma has to be large while my room doesn't allow for that. probably the arrival of ps3 will change the things

I play mine on a 13" TV, but I'm only sitting about a foot and a half away, so it doesn't really matter much. I would love to play it a bigger screen with better sound though.

Back