GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 28 : Decisions, Decisions

• Thread starter EDK
  • 274 comments
I'm much faster with one particular car:
splits
*pow* right in the kisser :crazy:

I think I'm down to two cars, one is definitely slower in the corners (at least when I drive).

T1: 35.525
T2: 25.901
T3: 27.131

Missed the apex completely in the first left of T2 but got a sweeeet run through Schumacher S. :dopey:

EDK
Agree that division is influencing a lot of the early results, especially since nobody has settled on a car yet, and we aren't doing much tuning yet either.

The cars are remarkably similar in total lap times, which should not be entirely surprising, since they fall within 1 PP of one another (The BMW is at 614, the other 2 are at 615).

The cars feature 3 different weights, and 3 different total HP, and the handling characteristics and therefore the portion of the track they perform in, is significantly different. Lighter cars will fare better through T1, while the more open sections with longer straights will favor the HP.

I think we have a week where everyone should choose the car that best suits their style, find a tune that works for them, and start hammering away at it.

Should be a fun one. :)

Your right. But history tells us that there is a golden car in most of the times. At first you choose the one, you feel most confident with. Once you got more time, you (people) found out that one particulair car is the fasted. Don't think you put in so much testing time before posting an new WRS, to found out if there is a golden car. (with time a mean a week or more)

BTW i wish a had the time to hammer away this week. Love the cars (2 of them) en the track. Unfortunatlly i'm out of town till sundaynight :grumpy:

Final splits from last night. A tenth up at T3 but 4 tenths better at the line. Still with Sabine, but I think I'll give Sascha a run tonight.

Not a great T1, but a small error there just sucks tenths...

millross
Good to see you racing fizzy! Not least because you effectively bought me all 3 cars this week :D :)

Thanks Matt, glad I could help. I should be racing close to every week again.

Do standard cars break their engines in? I just did an oil change and lo and behold, lots of extra horses, immediately! Doh....

Fluked a good T1 this run - Chardonnay is a nice solid drive, Merlot is pretty good too but I really dislike Blue Nun, so I'll stick with Chardonnay and Merlot for now.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt, glad I could help. I should be racing close to every week again.

Good to hear buddy, nice to have you back 👍

Do standard cars break their engines in? I just did an oil change and lo and behold, lots of extra horses, immediately! Doh....

Fluked a good T1 this run - Chardonnay is a nice solid drive, Merlot is pretty good too but I really dislike Blue Nun, so I'll stick with Chardonnay and Merlot for now.

Seems that these cars don't experience break-in. As long as you have an oil change on them then they are at their best. You car names made me smile, and it's providing an amusing sidebar from work to try and see if there are any clues as to which is which. I've been pretty random with mine - Sabine got a good thrashing last night, do she's having a rest and I'll give Sascha and maybe Steffi a run if I have the time tonight. I think the car choice is obvious on paper, but no doubt they each have their own foibles which could suit a particular driving style.

Race on (in Chuk's absence) :cheers:

Last edited:
I just tried to put in some time on the combo and everything seemed different for some reason. My car didn't seem as fast, all I could muster across the SFline was 106 mph and my ghost blew past me. Everything I tried to check for 'WAS SOMETHING TURNED OFF" and everything showed good. The power was where the OP said it should be but It wouldn't get out of its own way. So I took it on Indy and went flat out as flat would go, flying into the first turn at 130 down the back stretch at a blistering 130 " W T F" It should be blasting to at least 190.

I took the Minolta around Indy and couldn't get it over 200 mph " W T F" It's like something globally is turned down on the game. The instrument panel says that both cars are getting full throttle and they both show max power in the power limiter. I can't figure out what in the flyin hot "F" it could possible be. Until then I'm toast.

I have rebooted the PS3 several times, restarted the game multiple times so I can't figure out whats going on. :dunce:

I just tried to put in some time on the combo and everything seemed different for some reason. My car didn't seem as fast, all I could muster across the SFline was 106 mph and my ghost blew past me. Everything I tried to check for 'WAS SOMETHING TURNED OFF" and everything showed good. The power was where the OP said it should be but It wouldn't get out of its own way. So I took it on Indy and went flat out as flat would go, flying into the first turn at 130 down the back stretch at a blistering 130 " W T F" It should be blasting to at least 190.

I took the Minolta around Indy and couldn't get it over 200 mph " W T F" It's like something globally is turned down on the game. The instrument panel says that both cars are getting full throttle and they both show max power in the power limiter. I can't figure out what in the flyin hot "F" it could possible be. Until then I'm toast.

I have rebooted the PS3 several times, restarted the game multiple times so I can't figure out whats going on. :dunce:

Sounds like a sticking or flickering brake pedal.

Some may recall but I had this problem with the rally car at Monaco week. A day or two later my PS3 died. Hope it's not the same thing Lefty.

Some may recall but I had this problem with the rally car at Monaco week. A day or two later my PS3 died. Hope it's not the same thing Lefty.

The car was having trouble towing your old fatty up the hill? :dopey:

I feel like a Virtual German Stig 👍

T1: 36.299
T2: 26.571
T3: 28.187

Just had a quick study of the splits board and I'm actually quite happy with were I stand at the moment, although the lap doesn't look smooth or feel smooth when I drove it, quite a bit of oversteer on the exit of a couple of corners.
Does anyone have any tips on turn 4 (last right hander in sector 1), I always loose time there when racing so I must be doing something wrong, I think I'm trying to carry too much speed on the exit of 3 and end up way off line for the entry of 4, any hints on exit speed for 3 and entry/apex speed for 4??
Still only had the one run in the one car of the three I have, maybe I'll run some seasonals tonight and splash the cash to give the other two a go if I get chance. But with an engine rebuild costing 300,00 and a chassis refresh at 500,000 after 10 laps the cash isn't going to last long!!!

Well, I think I found the fastest one, still have to test another one yet to make sure.

pretty decent I think/hope.

Just had a quick study of the splits board and I'm actually quite happy with were I stand at the moment, although the lap doesn't look smooth or feel smooth when I drove it, quite a bit of oversteer on the exit of a couple of corners.
Does anyone have any tips on turn 4 (last right hander in sector 1), I always loose time there when racing so I must be doing something wrong, I think I'm trying to carry too much speed on the exit of 3 and end up way off line for the entry of 4, any hints on exit speed for 3 and entry/apex speed for 4??
Still only had the one run in the one car of the three I have, maybe I'll run some seasonals tonight and splash the cash to give the other two a go if I get chance. But with an engine rebuild costing 300,00 and a chassis refresh at 500,000 after 10 laps the cash isn't going to last long!!!

Not that I am the best practitioner of it Jim, but you need to hug the curb all the way around 3 so as to be as far left as possible for a smooth run around 4. The curb on the inside of 3 is brutal though, just to make things a bit more tricky...

Spent the past couple of days honing my time on one car, then switched to another and straight away was 0.5 secs faster on a dodgy lap.

Here are my new much faster times.

t1: 36.997
t2: 26.981
t3: 28.553

But still lots of improvement to be made.

EDIT: NEW SPLITS

t1: 36.803
t2: 26.975
t3: 28.343

Last edited:
I was planning on having my first go but i remember someone saying that the cars won't be on the OCD for long. Are they still there?

I was planning on having my first go but i remember someone saying that the cars won't be on the OCD for long. Are they still there?

They're all still there, all 500,000CR w/ 0 miles on the clock. Just remember to buy the Opel Astra and not the Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car

Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00

Aero:
Suspension:
35 / 60
0 / -10​
Gears:
15.0 / 11.5​
6/5​
Top Speed 149
5/4​
Set Final
6/5​
To reach 190 (Top Right)
Camber/Toe:
Adjust as desired.
2.3 / 0.7​
LSD:
0.00 / 0.15​
9 / 15 / 9
Brakes:
7/5
ABS: 2​

Notes: Every change I made so far helped lap times, should be a decent base tune.

Last edited:
ABT Audi TT-R Touring Car '02

Aero:
Suspension:
35 / 60
1 / -8​
Gears:
15.2 / 12.8​
6/5​
Top Speed 149
4/3​
Set Final
3/2​
To reach 190 (Top Right)
Camber/Toe:
Adjust as desired.
2.3 / 0.9​
LSD:
0.00 / 0.10​
8 / 16 / 8
Brakes:
7/5

Notes: Every change I made so far helped lap times, should be a decent base tune.

BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01

Aero:
Suspension:
35 / 60
-5 / 10​
Gears:
12.0 / 11.5​
6/5​
Top Speed 149
4/3​
Set Final
3/2​
To reach 190 (Top Right)
Camber/Toe:
Adjust as desired.
2.3 / 0.8​
LSD:
0.00 / 0.10​
8 / 15 / 8
Brakes:
7/5

Thanks for those tunes CSLACR, I'll definitely be trying them later. 👍

By the way, if anyone from here wants to add my GTP account then feel free, infact I encourage it if you want any museum cards, paints, etc as I'm trying to get rid of some.:D

Sabine out, Steffi in... Made a mistake in sector 1 but otherwise an OK lap

Opel Astra Super Touring Car '00

Aero:
Suspension:
35 / 60
-5 / -5​
Gears:
14.0 / 11.0​
5/4​
Top Speed 149
4/3​
Set Final
3/2​
To reach 190 (Top Right)
Camber/Toe:
Adjust as desired.
2.2 / 0.7​
LSD:
0.00 / 0.15​
8 / 15 / 8
Brakes:
7/5

Not sure if you have put the wrong description for the car or if you have not noticed you are using the wrong one. In the original post it says the Opel Team Phoenix 00 but your tune is for the Super Touring, are we allowed to use the Super Touring or is that a genuine mistake by yourself? Just trying to save you from an automatic DQ unless I have missed somewhere that we are allowed to use it 👍

Is there no difference between the cars what so ever? Just noticed they are the same in the OCD

Last edited:
Back