GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 28 : Decisions, Decisions

• Thread starter EDK
  • 274 comments
Too bad, I choose to just drive premiums in cockpit view :)

On a demanding track like Nurb GP/F you won't have time to look at the dashboard in you're car as all you're concentration will be on the road, this goes for most tracks ;):sly:

Get off the premium bandwagon :lol:

Last edited:
Bought the other cars this evening, having tried with Edna in the last session I found that Edna's friend with the wooden leg and I don't get on, however Edna's friend with the glass eye and I get on very well, in fact straight out of the box I ran a lap 0.029 down on my best OT with Edna, looks like I've found my girl!!

Thanks to Carlos for the tip on turn 4, much better line.

Interesting combo. I've only used one car so far and as i've started so late in the week I think i'm going to stick with this car and just fine tune it as best I can. Even if I don't do brilliantly, I hope I can match or beat others using the same car. First splits:

T1: 36.242
T2: 26.106
T3: 27.329

I'm somehow losing almost a second in T1 :scared: :dunce: I think it's very technical and i've yet to get a good rhythm through there. I saw I was 3-4 tenths off in T3 last week which was also very technical.

Any tips for turn 3? Do I brake late and come back in to get a good run out of 4 or do I hug the kerb? I seem to turn into 4 early, is it good to jump the inside kerb there or should I aim to stay on-track?

My T2 and T3 times seem very competitive, and I know there is still time to find in both of these, it's just T1 that's killing me. Tuning can only get me so far here.

I try and avoid the curb on the inside of 4 - all it seems to do for me is move the car sideways by a metre and severly compromise my exit (or make my lap dirty). However you approach 3 you need to be as far left as possible on exit to get a good run through 4 which will then gain you time all the way down to 5. You'll see from the leaderboard that I'm not necessarily the best practitioner, but in my case, that's as much to getting a good first turn as anything else.

Thanks to Carlos for the tip on turn 4, much better line.

:) Nice T1 Jim \/ 👍

Last edited:
T1: 35.769
T2: 26.929
T3: 27.433

Wow, that T1 is fast! Got me by almost 0.5 right there... got some serious work to do.

Here are my first splits. Only got in "this" car and used CSL's tune. 👍 Car drives very nice, but I'm not doing it any justice:

T1: 36.205
T2: 26.646
T3: 27.937

Going to give the other two cars ("that" and "the other") a quick stint tonight and make a decision and stick to it after that. I see a lot of room for improvement with "this" car and it's fairly comfortable so it's highly likely "this" is going to be my final ride.

New:

I think I'm giving up on the 🤬 for now. It's probably my favourite of the three, but the others are feeling a bit neglected, and it's responsible for all of my splits so far.
On to the 🤬 then for the next attempt. I'm guessing because it's 🤬, it should be 🤬, but only by a little compared to the 🤬 and especially the 🤬.
Although honestly I really want to give it a shot with the 🤬, especially seeing as it's 🤬 🤬 and I think the 🤬 🤬 is maybe the 🤬 in the 🤬!
Know what I mean? 👍

Actually, yes! I didn't guess the first one, but I'm pretty sure I guessed the rest - will PM you :sly:

Just checked my replay for my fastest lap and I have a question regarding the ruling with the white lines, as on the exit of turn 4 two of my wheels are ON the white line but very nearly over it, its a clear call to say they do not go over the outside of the white line but is this still legit, or do the two wheels have to be INSIDE of the white line, normally I would post a picture for reference but this would obviously reveal my car choice which is a no no this week.

:) Nice T1 Jim \/ 👍

All down to you Carlos (providing its deemed clean!!!) 👍

Concentrating on this one car because of time restrictions IRL.

Lovely combo, also thanks to CSL for publishing his sweet setups.

Only things I changed was setting up the gearbox to 5-speed (max 350) and picking the standard LSD box to reduce corner exit oversteer.

Hope the American contingent of the WRS manage to stay safe and out of harms way with that extreme weather on its way.

Recovering from a hangover today and playing deus ex but later ill be breaking out the dtms to try and catch Ash and Jon!

After hitting a wall so to speak with my original car pick, I decided to change it up and try another car. I'm faster overall than before with an awful T1, much slower than before in T1. If I can match my prevoius best T1 I'll be getting somewhere.

Latest splits,

T1, 37.019
T2, 26.417
T3, 27.835

I don't know how you guys get through T1 so fast. It's got me baffled and very frustrated.:grumpy: I'll never want to drive this track again after this TT.:)

I'm trying to hug the curb in turn 3 but never seem to get it right. I need to take a break for awhile and try again later. Curse that man that designed turns 1-4. I think Herman was at work here, it's got his signature all over it.

I'm trying to hug the curb in turn 3 but never seem to get it right. I need to take a break for awhile and try again later. Curse that man that designed turns 1-4. I think Herman was at work here, it's got his signature all over it.

Yep, T1 is Tilke designed. It's quite an enjoyable section to drive, but it's just far too technical and difficult to get right.

I've yet to hit a T1 time under 36.000 that has been clean (My best was 35.93x, went over the line slightly out of turn 1). I've attempted with all 3 cars, and it's much the same, very competitive in T2 and T3 but slow in T1, I thought there would be some magic car that was faster here but I guess i'm just not quick enough.

Practice is the answer, but as I started so late in the week and i'm busy this weekend, it looks like i'll have to call time on this one. My fastest time from posted splits is dirty after checking the replay, so I won't be submitting. Good luck guys 👍

I'd say as long as they're touching the white line, you'll be fine mate.

I would normally agree with that, but this event I'm not so sure because of this

Over Run Tarmac Beyond Rumble Strips, White Track Boundary Lines, or Cones are not track (See Details in Pictures Below)

That implies to me that White track boundary lines not being track, means that some part of both 2 wheels must be touching tarmac somewhere. If both 2 wheels are only on the white line then I am treating it as invalid unless Kev can confirm otherwise. Maybe just a misunderstanding on my part :dopey:

Back in from Melb, bought the 3 cars with my main account and realised I can't gift them. No probs I thought, I'll just borrow them. Problem is can't change the oil when they are on loan. Just spent a few hours getting the feel of these 3 cars, and noticed times were down. Comparing to the main post I can see I need that oil change now :dunce:

Just checked my replay for my fastest lap and I have a question regarding the ruling with the white lines, as on the exit of turn 4 two of my wheels are ON the white line but very nearly over it, its a clear call to say they do not go over the outside of the white line but is this still legit, or do the two wheels have to be INSIDE of the white line, normally I would post a picture for reference but this would obviously reveal my car choice which is a no no this week.

On the line is legal. I do have a pic in the first post of over the line, declaring outside the line in that turn illegal. I just stole the over the boundary pics from the week at GP/D in the Calsonic. That means I did not detail any out of bounds on the extra turns not included on GP/D, but that takes at least 1 extra hour to create those, and hour I didn't have this week.

I think everyone gets the idea anyway, just stay on the friggin track. ;)

Hope the American contingent of the WRS manage to stay safe and out of harms way with that extreme weather on its way.

Recovering from a hangover today and playing deus ex but later ill be breaking out the dtms to try and catch Ash and Jon!

Agreed, I had to cancel my travel plans to visit Chuk's place, but will still be running with them online as much as possible. They are far enough inland that it's not a severe risk, but I could not risk the almost certain travel delays, so I had to cancel.

I would normally agree with that, but this event I'm not so sure because of this

Over Run Tarmac Beyond Rumble Strips, White Track Boundary Lines, or Cones are not track (See Details in Pictures Below)

That implies to me that White track boundary lines not being track, means that some part of both 2 wheels must be touching tarmac somewhere. If both 2 wheels are only on the white line then I am treating it as invalid unless Kev can confirm otherwise. Maybe just a misunderstanding on my part

Sorry if the language seems confusing. What I meant was -

Tarmac Beyond Rumble Strips is Not Track

Tarmac Beyond White Boundary Lines is Not Track (The lines are track, just like rumble strips are track. It's just the overrun tarmac we are worried about).

Cones are Not Track

I was just trying to keep the post somewhat consolidated.

Last edited:
Yep, T1 is Tilke designed. It's quite an enjoyable section to drive, but it's just far too technical and difficult to get right.

I've yet to hit a T1 time under 36.000 that has been clean (My best was 35.93x, went over the line slightly out of turn 1). I've attempted with all 3 cars, and it's much the same, very competitive in T2 and T3 but slow in T1, I thought there would be some magic car that was faster here but I guess i'm just not quick enough.

Practice is the answer, but as I started so late in the week and i'm busy this weekend, it looks like i'll have to call time on this one. My fastest time from posted splits is dirty after checking the replay, so I won't be submitting. Good luck guys 👍

Well I don't know if I'd go as far as saying T1 is enjoyable.:) It is very technical and challenging, it certainly tests my patience.

I've had my break so I'll give it another go. NINE_HUNDRED killed me in T1 so I've got lots of work to do.

I was well up for doing this week so I could spend some time to learn this track as I have always had problems with it. My little boy was on a waiting list to go to Southampton General Hospital for a foot operation (broken and reset) :ouch:

He leaves on Monday so I will be spending the weekend with him, I will be back for Week 29 though :)

Good luck to all participating 👍

Question here for any other T500 RS users with regards to this combo where the fixed paddles cause me difficulties in a few spots. E.g. turn 2 going from 2nd to 3rd gear the wheel is still at a high angle on exit and it's awkward to shift. Any miss shift and ghost happily speeds away.

So is this

(a) solved by lowering hand position on the wheel. Currently I drive just at or below 9/3 O'clock. Is that still too high?
(b) a good indicator that my line and/or driving technique is wrong on this combo/corner... maybe should be working on corner entry so I can straighten car out earlier and hit gas earlier?
(c) an issue with fixed paddles I just have to work around (on an otherwise amazing wheel).

The reason I'm posting here is because I suspect answer b at least to some extent and I know a couple WRS drivers with a T500 are running this week and if they aren't having any issue it's on me (that's my bet). Maybe an indirect way to learn a better line for turn 2 as well :)

(c) an issue with fixed paddles I just have to work around (on an otherwise amazing wheel).

This is your answer.

I extend my pinkie finger or keep a hand free to shift, depending on the corner/combo.

Ironically, I got the T500 during the Nurb GP/D week, and I had trouble adapting. Now I've grown accustomed to either compromising on where I shift, or how I shift, depending on the corner or combo.

Hope that helps, I can give more pointers once I'm a little further into this combo, in regard to specific techniques in specific corners.

Had to fight really hard for these splits, think this might be close to my limit.

T1: 35.423
T2: 25.879
T3: 26.981

My best T3 so far by a long shot, it seems to be all about the Schumacher S; this run I went through in 185 km/h at the lowest point and was probably less than 1 cm from the sand :). A bit dodgy last turn and a miss-shift on the straight but still .15 up at the line.

WRP001: You might try working with the transmission so you don't have to change gears at such a high steering angle. My upshifts in the first sector are all between turns; 2-3 after I straighten out from turn 1, 3-4 as I hit the outside curbs after turn 2, 2-3 right at the left-right switch and 3-4-5 after I clear the left curb heading down to T1.

Back