GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 28 : Decisions, Decisions

• Thread starter EDK
  • 274 comments
Pretty sure they're the same cars, just different names. So I'd assume that tune would still apply. But no, you can't use the Astra.

\/ :sly:

Not sure if you have put the wrong description for the car or if you have not noticed you are using the wrong one. In the original post it says the Opel Team Phoenix 00 but your tune is for the Super Touring, are we allowed to use the Super Touring or is that a genuine mistake by yourself? Just trying to save you from an automatic DQ unless I have missed somewhere that we are allowed to use it 👍

Is there no difference between the cars what so ever? Just noticed they are the same in the OCD

The cars are completely different, and you're only allowed to use the car specified. The Super Touring Car is AWD, and I believe has considerably less power.

Hopefully it was just a mistake on his part when posting the tune, as I really don't think the Super Touring could keep up with the other 2.

EDK
The cars are completely different, and you're only allowed to use the car specified. The Super Touring Car is AWD, and I believe has considerably less power.

Hopefully it was just a mistake on his part when posting the tune, as I really don't think the Super Touring could keep up with the other 2.

Thanks Kev just been reading through page one of this thread and it had been asked if that car could be used, and the answer was no, so hopefully it's just a genuine description error on his part:tup:

Just double checked the OCD, it's a mistake from PD, because they are both FR cars in there

Thanks Kev just been reading through page one of this thread and it had been asked if that car could be used, and the answer was no, so hopefully it's just a genuine description error on his part:tup:

Someone asked about the Vauxhall Astra, which is also there in the OCD. That's presumably the exact same car, with a different badge. But you still can't use it.

I just loaded the game and looked in the OCD, and I was wrong about the Astra Super Touring. It does look to be the same car from a standpoint of specs, but you need to use the Opel I specified, in case there are subtle differences.

I was thinking of the '94 Calibra Super touring, which is heavier, has less power, and is AWD.

EDK
Someone asked about the Vauxhall Astra, which is also there in the OCD. That's presumably the exact same car, with a different badge. But you still can't use it.

I just loaded the game and looked in the OCD, and I was wrong about the Astra Super Touring. It does look to be the same car from a standpoint of specs, but you need to use the Opel I specified, in case there are subtle differences.

I was thinking of the '94 Calibra Super touring, which is heavier, has less power, and is AWD.

Ok thanks Kev, just thought I would point it out so that he doesn't get an automatic DQ:tup:

Ok thanks Kev, just thought I would point it out so that he doesn't get an automatic DQ:tup:

That would assume he's using the Opel. ;)

But thanks for pointing it out, I don't want anyone to get a DQ over a car mistake.

Update:-

I now have a solid lap in one of the cars, now I'll have a proper go with the others.:)

Update:-

I now have a solid lap in one of the cars, now I'll have a proper go with the others.:)

I will be extremly interested to see if you find a faster one than the first car you used Ash. Nice splits.

I went back and tried the 2 previous cars I didnt find to be that good. I still think ones better than the other two and faster. I cant drive as good as you can tho obviously at this track...yet.:)

If you find a faster car I will be so shocked. lol

Because I read your first post where you said you couldnt tune and drove the car with just full downforce and default everything else, I tried that also on the car I think is the best and yeah its not half bad so maybe we are driving the same car. lol

T1: 36.233
T2: 26.253
T3: 27.532

I will be extremly interested to see if you find a faster one than the first car you used Ash. Nice splits.

I went back and tried the 2 previous cars I didnt find to be that good. I still think ones better than the other two and faster. I cant drive as good as you can tho obviously at this track...yet.:)

If you find a faster car I will be so shocked. lol

Because I read your first post where you said you couldnt tune and drove the car with just full downforce and default everything else, I tried that also on the car I think is the best and yeah its not half bad so maybe we are driving the same car. lol

I have had quick a quick go with the others and with one of them I can pretty much match my time to T3 but I'm losing a couple of tenths to the end of the lap and the car is a little more difficult to drive fast. The other car I can not drive fast at all but maybe that's just me.:)

The whole point of doing it this way is to have everyone choose the car that is fastest for THEM. The car that suits their individual driving style.

If the past is any indicator, I think we'll find there's certainly one car that may have a theoretical advantage over the others, but it might not be the easiest car to drive. So lower divisions and controller drivers might be able to lap faster in one of the other cars.

If we let people talk about the car they are using, one person will come in with the fastest splits and then everyone will just use that car, which defeats the purpose of the event.

EDK
Unless the hurricane dampens my plans, I will be racing on at Chuk's this weekend. 👍

It looks as though Irene is going to pass over us Sunday. :(

First splits for me in one car, which will probably be my only choice.
After an hour or so between 2 sessions.

First ''official'' splits for me:

I only have 1 car so far,and have only done 10 laps or so, but i was eager to put my first times on the board.

EDK
The whole point of doing it this way is to have everyone choose the car that is fastest for THEM. The car that suits their individual driving style.

If the past is any indicator, I think we'll find there's certainly one car that may have a theoretical advantage over the others, but it might not be the easiest car to drive. So lower divisions and controller drivers might be able to lap faster in one of the other cars...

It's a great idea Kevin and it'll be very interesting to see how it plays out and who uses what. I'm thinking it would play out as you describe even more on a multi-lap event or for certain an actual race where the value of consistency (and the penalty for mistakes) will overcome the reward of individual purple laps scattered across a session. But it should still play out to some extent here.

If the top D1 drivers all end up gravitating to the "theoretically fastest" car it'll be interesting to see where in the spectrum the variation begins and who would be the "outliers"... e.g. Who from D3 is willing to risk consistency and driving comfort to go for that "gold" lap in the fast/hard to control car and maybe jump a few spots versus spending time perfecting laps with the car more suited to their style and this creates a potential high risk / high reward scenario. Maybe an early "bank" lap with the "safe" car allows you a few sessions to take risks.... the possibilities are many.

For certain the results thread will be that much more interesting to follow as people reveal what car they chose and why they chose it and the debate begins.

PS> Thanks a ton to CSLACR for posting those tunes for all three cars 👍 I am getting a late start on this event and the idea of trying to figure out how to drive and then tune/tweak three cars was pretty daunting. Even if those posted tunes aren't final I can at least install them and fairly quickly pick my favorite car saving me tons of time to focus on that car/tune... ate least until I bank a lap and go for broke :lol:

Last edited:
First ''official'' splits for me:

I only have 1 car so far,and have only done 10 laps or so, but i was eager to put my first times on the board.

Top of the board after only 10 laps, are you sure you have the correct tires on and are not running with Skid Recovery Force on. That's scary good if it's legit.:scared:

It's probably legit, he's an alien hiding down in d1 bronze. Maybe he only did 10 laps in the qualifier too. :P

EDK
Who's Ed? :dopey:

:dunce: Sorry Kevin, my brain is having the same symptoms as Lefty's PS3 this morning. Either my brakes are stuck, cabling needs work or the hard drive is about to crash. :lol:

I'm so lost right now. I have tried different set-ups and different cars and I just can't figure it out. I need to go back and watch videos from the first trip here for the GP/D event for T1, see if that can help.. When I feel fast I'm usually a tenth or two slower than my ghost. Any thoughts on chassis reinforcement? I usually hate it but may back up my save and give it a shot.

Not sure if you have put the wrong description for the car or if you have not noticed you are using the wrong one. In the original post it says the Opel Team Phoenix 00 but your tune is for the Super Touring, are we allowed to use the Super Touring or is that a genuine mistake by yourself? Just trying to save you from an automatic DQ unless I have missed somewhere that we are allowed to use it 👍

Is there no difference between the cars what so ever? Just noticed they are the same in the OCD
Good eye, I'll have to double check, I may just just jumped in the first Opel I saw after reading the Vauxhaul question, if it is the wrong car I'll see if they're different or not.

I'm so lost right now. I have tried different set-ups and different cars and I just can't figure it out. I need to go back and watch videos from the first trip here for the GP/D event for T1, see if that can help.. When I feel fast I'm usually a tenth or two slower than my ghost. Any thoughts on chassis reinforcement? I usually hate it but may back up my save and give it a shot.

I was just thinking about T1 and feeling the same way myself McFizzle. Your suggestion to look in the archives is a good one.

I was also wondering about chassis reinforcement and if anyone thinks it helps and is using it.

I have chassis reinforcement, I always use it. That said I don't know if it improves the car or not but it would be stupid if it didn't.:)

New splits with a different car, but still can't decide which of my two favourites is faster... I seem to get a little better handling when I zero out all toe settings (all three cars).

T1: 35.340
T2: 25.843
T3: 27.238

ASH32
I have chassis reinforcement, I always use it. That said I don't know if it improves the car or not but it would be stupid if it didn't.:)

Some cars it seems to cause instability with cornering. It messed up my GSX-R setup to the point where I just stopped trying.

Some cars it seems to cause instability with cornering. It messed up my GSX-R setup to the point where I just stopped trying.

In my experience, if you do add it, you might need to play with your damper or spring settings to get the feel right. It makes the car tighter, which can help if that's what you want it to be.

I've run with both, but my best performances in WRS in a tuned car were with it, not without it. And on both occasions, it's something I added late in the game in an effort to grab tenths.

That was in the GSX-R and the Asparadrink.

Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00
Updated, seems to be the almost identical if not completely. A few minor changes.

Thanks. I just want to be sure it's not something like the NASCARS or the Supra's, where different livery cars of the same make and model have a different range of settings and behave differently.

I think everyone would agree that we already have enough variables with this event. :dopey:

Back