GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 28 : Decisions, Decisions

• Thread starter EDK
  • 274 comments
I think I'm done with this one for the week, I hit my peak, or should I say my valley. T1 is driving me crazy. I think Herman should have added a vertical loop and a big jump over some busses to make it real interesting. Those off camber decreasing radius downhill turns are so boring.:)

Last edited:
EDK
I extend my pinkie finger or keep a hand free to shift, depending on the corner/combo.

Thanks. I'll do some pinkie extension exercises. I can brake a mountain bike down a gnarly single track with one finger so why not shift with the pinky :sly: Seriously I have also tried removing one hand from the wheel, but that feels weird. Guess if I ever want to try that new shifter I'll have to adjust to that anyway.

WRP001: You might try working with the transmission so you don't have to change gears at such a high steering angle. My upshifts in the first sector are all between turns; 2-3 after I straighten out from turn 1, 3-4 as I hit the outside curbs after turn 2, 2-3 right at the left-right switch and 3-4-5 after I clear the left curb heading down to T1.

Thanks. I'll try adjusting the gearing and/or line so I can stay in 3rd around Turn 2. My ghost will let me know quickly if this is a good idea or if i just need a longer pinkie. :lol:

I did attempt this combo a day or two ago when CSL kindly posted some tunes, but I couldn't get on, either I have a heavy foot or the tunes don't agree with me. The cars felt nice to drive, but I was struggling to get the power down when I wanted to. I used to race these cars all the time against Maz, Stotty and Sigma and never had a problem, that was also using the same tire compound. It could also be a sign of my pedals wearing out, as there doesn't seem to be as much resistance as there once was.

I really need to learn how to tune for events like this, any good teachers out there?:sly:

I may get a couple of hours Sunday evening to have a go again, but it doesn't give me much time to learn the track, so i'm not expecting miracles for this one.

CSL, I see you have a tuning garage of you're own, looking for an apprentice? :lol:

Last edited:
T1: 36.432
T2: 26.927
T3: 27.810

I think this is the best I can do. Best times on two splits and very close to best on the other two.

I suck at DTM.

I did attempt this combo a day or two ago when CSL kindly posted some tunes, but I couldn't get on, either I have a heavy foot or the tunes don't agree with me. The cars felt nice to drive, but I was struggling to get the power down when I wanted to. I used to race these cars all the time against Maz, Stotty and Sigma and never had a problem, that was also using the same tire compound. It could also be a sign of my pedals wearing out, as there doesn't seem to be as much resistance as there once was.

I really need to learn how to tune for events like this, any good teachers out there?:sly:

I may get a couple of hours Sunday evening to have a go again, but it doesn't give me much time to learn the track, so i'm not expecting miracles for this one.

CSL, I see you have a tuning garage of you're own, looking for an apprentice? :lol:
I've gotten most of my answers from direct testing, of course there's plenty that think I'm crazy too though. :D
If you want I can PM you what I consider changes to make.

I've gotten most of my answers from direct testing, of course there's plenty that think I'm crazy too though. :D
If you want I can PM you what I consider changes to make.

That would be a great help, like I said the car was a great drive but getting the power down was the problem. Hope I haven't given away what car I am going to use :D

Gears could be playing a factor as I have only used the gear settings you put up, I can't tune a thing on a car so left the gears alone, but maybe thats the problem

My little boy was on a waiting list to go to Southampton General Hospital for a foot operation (broken and reset) :ouch:

He leaves on Monday so I will be spending the weekend with him, I will be back for Week 29 though :)

Good luck to all participating 👍

Good luck with the boy's foot and see you next week.

Hope the American contingent of the WRS manage to stay safe and out of harms way with that extreme weather on its way.

Thanks for your concern, it could be a rough ride.
We are inland so the wind should be OK, it's the flooding we may have to contend with at my house.
I have a river about 1000' away from the house.

That and the fact it kept Kevin away from Chuk's this weekend. :ouch:

Sounds like Chuk's excuse for not doing WRS has been upgraded from Don't-have-a-TV to Hurricane-Incoming. :dopey:

Seriously, though, hope you guys make it OK. 👍

Staying in 3rd for turn 2 worked and solved the paddle problem so I don't have to bulk up my pinkie. 👍

I've got new splits, but they don't make much difference on the board, but crushed my final sector by 0.3 so a decent advance for the whole lap:

T1: 36.421 👎
T2: 26.544
T3: 27.811

I've made some gains in T1 since this lap (a few 35.9XX and regular low 36's), but I'm going the wrong direction in T2 & T3 so haven't managed a better full lap. I'm up on my ghost just about every lap through T1, but he's catching me from as much as 0.5 behind??? :banghead:

Well, even at 35.9 I'm a good chunk off the pace set by Lynx_Can so looks like another week where division Gold is out of touch :ouch:

Maybe a 900 calorie burrito will cure my ills and the extra ballast I'll carry after will help keep the back of the car in check. :drool:

Edit. Burrito helped, but I only ate half :lol:

T1: 35.947 👍
T2: 26.502
T3: 27.988 👎

Last edited:
Another car (thanks CSL 👍) and again some improvement, just don´t know if is from the driver or the car :dunce:

T1: 35.864
T2: 26.341
T3: 27.463

Edit. Burrito helped, but I only ate half :lol:

Clearly, if you ate the whole thing, it would have made you better on 2 of 3 splits. :sly:

Which Burrito place, 360?

1st time participating. Don't know how competitive these splits are.

EDK
Clearly, if you ate the whole thing, it would have made you better on 2 of 3 splits. :sly:

Which Burrito place, 360?

I saved the other half of the burrito for tomorrow and hopefully it works equally well on the other split!

Got the burrito at a Taqueria Vallarta here in Santa Cruz... good stuff, but not anywhere near as good as my old mexican favorite in San Francisco (Tommy's Mexican Restaurant).

EDK
On the line is legal. I do have a pic in the first post of over the line, declaring outside the line in that turn illegal. I just stole the over the boundary pics from the week at GP/D in the Calsonic. That means I did not detail any out of bounds on the extra turns not included on GP/D, but that takes at least 1 extra hour to create those, and hour I didn't have this week.

I think everyone gets the idea anyway, just stay on the friggin track. ;)

Agreed, I had to cancel my travel plans to visit Chuk's place, but will still be running with them online as much as possible. They are far enough inland that it's not a severe risk, but I could not risk the almost certain travel delays, so I had to cancel.

Sorry if the language seems confusing. What I meant was -

Tarmac Beyond Rumble Strips is Not Track

Tarmac Beyond White Boundary Lines is Not Track (The lines are track, just like rumble strips are track. It's just the overrun tarmac we are worried about).

Cones are Not Track

I was just trying to keep the post somewhat consolidated.

Ok Kev, lucky I saved my lap then, I had discarded it because my 2 wheels were only on the line. :)

Really struggling in T3 looks like eveyone has that section down pat except me :lol:

I've decided its too close to call having reviewed my close encounter with the line on the exit of turn 4, don't want to be giving someone the arduous task of watching my replay 97 times to make double sure its clean, I have another lap with similar split time at T3, all be it slower T1 quicker T2 and equalish T3, but the last sector sucked and the lap time is down by 0.8!!
If I get a chance to check my notes before I get another run I'll post the previous splits, if not hopefully I'll be posting some better splits!!

T1: 35.932
T2: 26.330
T3: 27.535

I was beginning to think I couldnt go any lower. Tough track.

T1: 36.343
T2: 26.311
T3: 27.438

Kind of one of those headscratchers. How did I get to the line 1 tenth lower with that T1?

Last edited:
Sounds like Chuk's excuse for not doing WRS has been upgraded from Don't-have-a-TV to Hurricane-Incoming. :dopey:

Seriously, though, hope you guys make it OK. 👍

Well he does have a TV now.

Join us if you like, we'll be running soon and will run all day and into the night.
Tomorrow as well as long as we have power.
That invite goes out to those that have EDK, Chuk or I as PSN friends, or any that want to join us, just send a friend invite and race on.

Since the thread has been a little slow this week and not a lot of advice/discussion about the track, I'm going to do a little DHolland-style walkthrough of my lap. Obviously it won't be alien-perfect but hopefully it can help someone who's struggling or is late to the party.

For reference my shift points in all 3 cars are 115-140-185-235 km/h, using gears 2-6.

Sector 1: Stay as far left as possible coming into turn 1, brake point just passing the shadow from the stands. Turn in pretty late and coast into the apex at about 65, 2nd gear. Partial throttle out until almost reaching the left curb then short-shift to 3rd and full power, don't go too wide. Swing right but again don't use all the track, lift-off at 135+ and coast to apex, no brakes, stay in 3rd. Partial throttle just before you hit the inside curb at ~115 then full throttle as you approach the outside. Next brake point is hard to judge but you should basically follow the dark line in. I come off the brakes pretty early and coast from ~100 down to 80 at the late apex in 2nd. Next part is the crucial point in T1 in my opinion; You HAVE to get on the gas pretty early, before the big round spectator stand in the distance is center-view, then a short stint of full throttle in 2nd aiming for the middle of the road. Trying to hug the left too much to set up for the next right will lose loads of time. At the same time it's really hard to get on the throttle enough while still turning, I've spun here more times than the rest of the track combined :dunce:. Lift off at 115 and short-shift to 3rd while turning right. Back on partial throttle at 105+ before the apex, avoiding inside curb then full throttle out.

Sector 2: Brake point last cone on the right, brake to 155 then coast to just under 140 at the apex in 4th. Quick full throttle run then brake just before the left curb ends, down to 3rd and coast to 95. Full throttle out just before apex. Brake point for the 180 just after the grey mesh starts on the left side. Let off the brakes and coast pretty deep (double-apex style). Downshift to 2nd to help the car turn then short-shift to 3rd at the midpoint and partial throttle until the big tent comes into view then full throttle out, using all the outside curb on exit.

Sector 3: 5th gear, ride all the way up on the right-side curb and turn-in hard with a short lift at the same time. Get back on the throttle before the left apex, ideally at 185 without touching the left curb. Ride all the way up on the green stuff on the inside and throw the wheel hard to the right. Short run in 6th then brake just as you pass the light grey section on the right. Let off the brakes pretty early and coast into the apex in 3rd, dipping just below 120 then full power out touching the outside curb but keep turning hard to get to the left side of the track quickly. Straighten the car and tap the brakes down to about 140 while turning in. Coast down to 125 in 3rd and partial throttle before hitting the apex then full throttle out, again using all the left curb including the green stuff on exit.

Sector 4: I'm really unsure about this chicane but for me the fastest way through has been to always keep two wheels on the tarmac. Riding up on the curbs any higher unsettles the car more than it's worth. Brake point: who knows? Roughly midway between the 150 and 100 signs I guess :dopey:. Downshift to 2nd and let off the brakes early as you turn in. Coast through the first apex of the chicane then half throttle as soon as you pass, hitting about 80 at the first apex and 90 at the 2nd. Full throttle as soon as all 4 wheels are on the ground. Brake for the final turn as you cross the white line and stay left for a pretty late turn-in. Down to 2nd to help the car turn, ease off the brakes at ~115. Coast until the pink building comes into view and stay above 95. Full power out, either in 2nd or shortshift to 3rd seems to work. Some sliding is ok as long as you don't need to countersteer, use all the track and curb.

Final tip. Don't know if this is obvious, but you can't get a good start following a hot-lap. If you take the final turn the fastest way possible in a lap-time sense, you'll cross the line slower than if you purposely go very wide on entry (almost in the sand) to set up a good launch. For me the difference is almost 2 car lengths against my ghost at the end of the start/finish straight.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Since the thread has been a little slow this week and not a lot of advice/discussion about the track, I'm going to do a little DHolland-style walkthrough of my lap. Obviously it won't be alien-perfect but hopefully it can help someone who's struggling or is late to the party.

Thanks yanaran! That's a great post and really helpful. I'm actually glad that the walk thru post came late in the week as it forced me to figure out the line mostly on my own. But now is the time to search for tenths so knowing where I'm doing it right and wrong based on your post really helps me focus the remaining time. 👍

Did 10 laps in each of the cars tonight. Best time in the first one but had chances to go faster in the others but blew it at the chicane.

You HAVE to get on the gas pretty early, before the big round spectator stand in the distance is center-view...

Downshift to 2nd to help the car turn then short-shift to 3rd at the midpoint and partial throttle until the big tent comes into view ...

Coast until the pink building comes into view ...

There's buildings????
All I see are missed apex's, poorly timed shifts, and more spins than a gyroscope. :(
Just getting some time to get serious with this event now, so we'll see how it goes.
Ran about 30 laps, but I'm stuck with a best lap that has weak 1-3 splits, but an amazing (and clean - barely) t4. So most laps I'm ahead by about .400 at t3, but I lose by ~.300 in the end :banghead:
What a crazy track.

Thanks Yanaran, I'll give your walkthrough a shot later 👍
And CSL as well, stabilized the cars with your tunes 👍, but I have to use a really high differential to keep it together.

For reference my shift points in all 3 cars are 115-140-185-235 km/h, using gears 2-6.

Sector 1: Stay as far left as possible coming into turn 1, brake point just passing the shadow from the stands. Turn in pretty late and coast into the apex at about 65, 2nd gear. Partial throttle out until almost reaching the left curb then short-shift to 3rd and full power, don't go too wide. Swing right but again don't use all the track, lift-off at 135+ and coast to apex, no brakes, stay in 3rd. Partial throttle just before you hit the inside curb at ~115 then full throttle as you approach the outside. Next brake point is hard to judge but you should basically follow the dark line in. I come off the brakes pretty early and coast from ~100 down to 80 at the late apex in 2nd. Next part is the crucial point in T1 in my opinion; You HAVE to get on the gas pretty early, before the big round spectator stand in the distance is center-view, then a short stint of full throttle in 2nd aiming for the middle of the road. Trying to hug the left too much to set up for the next right will lose loads of time. At the same time it's really hard to get on the throttle enough while still turning, I've spun here more times than the rest of the track combined :dunce:. Lift off at 115 and short-shift to 3rd while turning right. Back on partial throttle at 105+ before the apex, avoiding inside curb then full throttle out.

Sector 2: Brake point last cone on the right, brake to 155 then coast to just under 140 at the apex in 4th. Quick full throttle run then brake just before the left curb ends, down to 3rd and coast to 95. Full throttle out just before apex. Brake point for the 180 just after the grey mesh starts on the left side. Let off the brakes and coast pretty deep (double-apex style). Downshift to 2nd to help the car turn then short-shift to 3rd at the midpoint and partial throttle until the big tent comes into view then full throttle out, using all the outside curb on exit.

Sector 3: 5th gear, ride all the way up on the right-side curb and turn-in hard with a short lift at the same time. Get back on the throttle before the left apex, ideally at 185 without touching the left curb. Ride all the way up on the green stuff on the inside and throw the wheel hard to the right. Short run in 6th then brake just as you pass the light grey section on the right. Let off the brakes pretty early and coast into the apex in 3rd, dipping just below 120 then full power out touching the outside curb but keep turning hard to get to the left side of the track quickly. Straighten the car and tap the brakes down to about 140 while turning in. Coast down to 125 in 3rd and partial throttle before hitting the apex then full throttle out, again using all the left curb including the green stuff on exit.

Sector 4: I'm really unsure about this chicane but for me the fastest way through has been to always keep two wheels on the tarmac. Riding up on the curbs any higher unsettles the car more than it's worth. Brake point: who knows? Roughly midway between the 150 and 100 signs I guess :dopey:. Downshift to 2nd and let off the brakes early as you turn in. Coast through the first apex of the chicane then half throttle as soon as you pass, hitting about 80 at the first apex and 90 at the 2nd. Full throttle as soon as all 4 wheels are on the ground. Brake for the final turn as you cross the white line and stay left for a pretty late turn-in. Down to 2nd to help the car turn, ease off the brakes at ~115. Coast until the pink building comes into view and stay above 95. Full power out, either in 2nd or shortshift to 3rd seems to work. Some sliding is ok as long as you don't need to countersteer, use all the track and curb.

Final tip. Don't know if this is obvious, but you can't get a good start following a hot-lap. If you take the final turn the fastest way possible in a lap-time sense, you'll cross the line slower than if you purposely go very wide on entry (almost in the sand) to set up a good launch. For me the difference is almost 2 car lengths against my ghost at the end of the start/finish straight.

:cheers: for that.

We have decent participation this week,but it always helps to get a writeup. 👍

Man......been out forever and came back to a heck of a combo. Great track and fun class of cars to sling around it. Still slow as before but at least I'm enjoying myself. Thanks to the class of the WRS as always for the tips, tricks, and tunes.
Anyone up for coming to Texas and giving me some private GT5 DFGT driving lessons.......I can pay for em on an installment plan.....lol.

Back