7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

Hi Guys,

what an eventful race that was.

Qualifying:

Over the season I realized too late that feeling comfortable with the car behaviour (setup) in race is much more important than having the setup for one ultra fast round. The race in korea I concentrated much more on race setup and it did work quiet well, so I did the same for interlagos.
My plan was to start on primes so my laptimes in qualy were ok and being on 3rd was the best I could reach as I knew that pipeslice and shaggy would go in the 1.07 s with options tyres. The good thing was that pipeslice and shaggy were very close, so they would battle in the first couple of rounds and as you can imagine this is the best which can happen if you drive behind them with primes.
Unfortunately we had to restart after qualifying so all these thinkings and strategies were obsolete.
But we wanted to give pj the chance to attend, especially after his good practice results and as so often in live giving something means getting it back later twice... :-)

Race:
After a messy start we decided to restart, which was a good decision I think, because we were all a bit out of rhytm.
Now there was 65% heavy rain possibility. The fact that "HEAVY RAIN" was predicted, leads me to adapting my setup for these conditions, so I choosed a bigger ride height and more neutral balance (much less oversteer characteristics), which was a little bit gambling as it is ever.
I knew that the first part of the race would be hard, but I also knew that my setup was brilliant for primes and only little adaption shouldnt change this fact. The start was very good as I was third after the first corners and could catch ardius in the second round.
Now I could follow pipeslice quiet well, althought after the first 6 or 7 rounds he seems to find some more time and could slightly drive away.
The other side was that pj had an amazing pace behind me, which was one key of my success later as he was able to fight and hold his position against the fresh world champion. I was really surprised pj and again my congrats to this big improvement, great !
I cant really remember but in round 10 or so, just after it had started to rain, shaggy was able to overtake pj and now I was really hoping that it will rain heavier as pipeslice was able to drive away slightly and shaggy was coming with big steps behind me.

Now one of the best parts of this game started. The times becomes slower and the track becomes slippy. 1,5 seconds ahead was pipeslice and 1,5seconds behind me shaggy. Suddenly pipeslice had two big oversteer moments in a row. I saw this and was able to brake earlier in these corners, which was really cool and a big advantage for me, cause he had to analyze the grip first. Than he was again in gravel and I could overtake him. Pipeslice is an awsome driver, so I knew that if he begins struggling it is a good Idea to go on full wets now. To my surprise Pipeslice and Shaggy right behind me went for another round on drys, which definitely makes me a little bit smiling.
I was able to rewin the first position next round because they pitted.

Ok now I was first. It was wet and we were on full wets. I knew that it would be a tough session now, as my setup wasn't really working cause it was not wet enough, and it was that window where you must go on full wets and can drive nearly as fast as on dry conditions. Shaggy was gaining much time and was 1 second per Lap faster under these conditions. My tactic was to defend my position as long as possible due to the fact that my time would come if it becomes more wet. And I did as I try to brake quiet early to give him no chance when acclerating out of the corners. After 2-3 laps playing this game it leads to a little touch from behind, which was because I couldnt really find grip out of turn 9 (Pinheirinho) and was feeling that shaggy could try something now so I decided to drive the hairpin (turn 11) in a very inner line, which made me so slow that shaggy must hit me slightly. I went into gravel and pipeslice could pass also, it costs me about 4 or 5 seconds. Shaggy was very fair and let me repass, although as I said it was not his fault or mine, it was a normal race incident. But I think his decision to let me repass shows why he becomes the deserved world champion this year.

The rain becomes heavier and heavier. Infact This was absolutely brilliant for me and my setup... Than suddenly the window of going fast on full wets was over and the cars began to swim a little bit. Pipeslice and Shaggy thought this would be the tire wear and pitted, I knew ok my tyres are yellow but only about 10 rounds or so to go and my setup should compensate the grip difference.

I quickly realized that my car was pretty well balanced under these conditions as I hadn't any significant oversteer or understeer. It was just very neutral and fairly easy to drive under these conditions. The 3-2 ride height was doing its job now.
I was able to drive without any mistakes absolutely constant times, although shaggy was gaining over half a second per round, sometimes even 1 second but he seems to have some issues with car handling under these conditions as his times were very different every lap.
So I was able to drive the thing home, without going to much on limit, which helped a lot under these conditions.
So after some bad luck in the past races before korea the luck was with me in this race.
I'm really happy with it and looking forward for the final race for this season.

Best regards

DarkPSI

Last edited:
I'd been practicing offline in the Red Bull (your car) and I noticed the pitstops were always slow, even when the engineer tells you it was a perfect stop, regularly over 5 seconds. I think my stop was just under 4 seconds last night. It could be some stupid thing with the game where it's scripted that McLaren get a faster pit-stop at Interlagos, and that the 'randomness' of it is just an illusion. Hope they fix that for 2011

I'm not organising the 8th championship Tom. I think Ardius said he would be tempted though.

I knew something was not right here.this is not the first time I've heard that the McLaren is favoured in this game.considering the game was set to equal and the McLaren are able to be 1second faster in the pits makes me think what else is favouring that car.this exlplains why you were able to jump me and dark so easily in the last race,because I also had a fast entry in the last race yet still you came out in front.i have 2 ps3 with 2 f1 2010 games so I'm gonna do some testing with both consoles online and see what's going on .ill let you know what I find.

It's worth saying sorry to Paulzx, I would have just started the race had I known you were tight on time, you should have said. Sorry about this anyway, and I hope it doesn't put you off our season finale next week 👍

No problem mate, I'm always a bit tight for time on the weekends, I have a slot for this race on the sunday and if it gets delayed for that amount of time it's no good for me any weekend.

No offence to PJ who came in late, but the races should be started at the time stated give or take a minute or two but not half an hour!

I'll still try and be there for the last race though

Working night shift next week so will miss the season closer.

Shame how I've fizzled out of this championship. I was really loving the racing in the first part of it but a combination of uneventful racing, lack of time in my life to play/practice and general lack of enthusiasm for gaming lately meant that I sort of fell away.

I'll def be getting F12011 however.

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 18 - Brazil

18brazilencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Dry qualifying, rain mid race onwards.

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Pipeslice (Jordan) - 1:07.446 (10 pts)

2nd. - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:07.517 (8 pts)

3rd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:08.861 (6 pts)

4th. - Ardius (Brawn)- 1:09.033 (5 pts)

5th. - Baumi27 (Brawn)- 1:09.776 (4 pts)

6th. - Muzza_ORUK (Hesketh)- 1:10.248 (3 pts)

7th. - Paulzx (Benetton)- 1:10.269 (2 pts)

8th. - Akmuq (Tyrrell)- 1:12.718 (1 pts)

9th. - Jerry786 (Jordan)- 1:15.315 (0 pts)

Race Results:

1st. DarkPSI (Benetton) (25 pts) = 47m02.469s
2nd. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (18 pts) + 3.9s
3rd. pj-gm (Brabham) (15 pts) + 73.0s
4th. Baumi27 (Brawn) (12 pts) + 74.9s
5th. Ardius (Brawn) (10 pts) + 77.5s
6th. Akmuq (Tyrrell) (0 pts) DNF
7th. Muzza_ORUK (Hesketh) (0 pts) DNF
8th. Jerry786 (Jordan) (0 pts) DNF
9th. Pipeslice (Jordan) (0 pts) DNF
10th. Paulzx (Benetton) (0 pts) DNS

Qualifying:

Due to the very short lap of Interlagos, I could squeeze at least 5 flying laps into the 15 minute qualifying session. So I planned for two double lap runs and then a final minimum fuel single lap run at the end. My first run yielded a 1:07.6 before having to back off on my second lap due to traffic. The second run gave me a 1:07.5 with the second lap being fractionally slower than the first. In the mean time Pipeslice was sitting on a 1:07.8 which I hoped was the ceiling of his performance. Well he soon proved the lie in that when he banged in a superb 1:07.4 as I sat in the pits gearing up for my final flyer. I felt that I had the lap in me to snatch pole, but despite no obvious errors and the lower fuel, I failed to improve on my own time and would settle for 2nd place. Congrats to Pipeslice on such a mega lap. DarkPSI didn't feel able to challenge for pole but knew he had a handy gap to the runners behind him, so qualified on the primes and still slotted into 3rd just behind us (having his cake and eating it) which was a potential advantage for the race.

Race:

Pj-gm was late to the party so we restarted under a random grid order. Because of this reset, and a 67% chance of rain in the race on top of starting back in 6th place with the random grid order, it made it a no brainer for me to start on prime tyres. Because of all the long duration corners at Interlagos, particularly the flat out left handers of Curva do Sol and Mergulho, the front tyres take a real battering. I realised in practice that my front right was wearing out as early as lap 9, that's 3 laps before the usual scheduled pit-stop. Trying to go long on the first stint on options and waiting for the rain as I did to good effect at Monza was clearly out of the question this time. This wiped out DarkPSI's strategy advantage as we were now all running the same tyres as him anyway. The one notable exception being Pj-gm who was starting just ahead of me in 5th on a set of options, and could potentially ruin my strategy if I couldn't get past him in the first stint. My race set-up was slightly less pointy for more stability and hopefully consistency, so I saw no need to alter it in the event of rain.

The first part of my race is a bit hazy (it's amazing how difficult it is to remember what happened despite being right in the thick of it) just driving as hard as possible to get through the field. PJ got a good start to move up to 3rd, leaving me to battle with Ardius who I got past early on. I then made a move on Baumi27 a couple of laps later into turn 1 and went after PJ. By this stage Pipeslice and Dark had both made their way to the front of the field and were around 6 seconds ahead of me, leaving me to wonder how I was going to get up there with them. As it turned out, being behind PJ wasn't so bad as he was running at a good pace so I didn't lose so much time. Much to my surprise, I was also catching the front pair steadily several tenths each lap. They couldn't see me behind so weren't reacting to this when they needed to be. It took me a few laps to close up on PJ and when I did he was a tricky customer to get past. After a couple more laps I got a good launch off of Juncao and was able to go up the inside of him and was ahead by the braking zone of turn one, then used a squirt of oversteer to cover him coming back at me through the Senna S.

My battle with Pj left me 6 seconds behind the front two again but I got back into a nice rhythm and started to narrow the gap steadily. Around lap 10 it started spitting with rain, but the grip was still good so I pressed on and got the gap down to about 3 seconds. Then Pipeslice had a big moment which put Dark on his gearbox and brought me right into play as well. Dark took Pipe's struggles as an indication that the time was right to switch to wets, I was less sure we'd arrived at the cross-over point and stayed out another lap closely behind Pipeslice, searching for a way past. We pitted together but I came out ahead thanks to Pipe's slow stop. However, Dark obviously did pit at the correct moment as we both emerged from the pits behind him. At this phase in the race Pipeslice seemed to be struggling slightly and wasn't overly close behind me, which freed me to attack Dark.

Grip was still reasonable, but visibility was poor having to duck out of Dark's slipstream just to see where I was going. He really defended very well, delaying his exit out of corners to check my momentum and blocking off each approach I made. I seemed to be able to get closest to him in the turn 8,9 & 10 sequence. He went too deep into turn 8, so I took a wide line through turn 9 to try and get him into turn 10. However, it's such a tight apex there that we made contact which in these conditions resulted in Dark skidding off onto the grass. I let him repass the following lap on the straight before turn 4, frustratingly also gifting Pipeslice position who once again took the lead.

The grip seemed to be fading and my tyres were showing the first signs of wear. My lap times dropped off by 4 seconds. I remembered in Singapore how the wet tyres were only good for about 10 laps and that how when I pitted for fresh boots the lap times were much, much faster than before. So I decided to pit again for fresh rubber hopefully to either leapfrog the guys ahead or reel them in and overtake them if they didn't pit. However, when I came out of the pits, I was dismayed that the car was still lurching all over the place even on these fresh tyres. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it turned out my tyres were fine, it was the conditions which had worsened. The misleading information from Singapore meant i'd made an unnecessary extra stop. It did at least leapfrog me ahead of Pipeslice as he also pitted a lap later, but this was academic as his team mistakenly fitted him with slicks which put paid to his race, an unfair and sad ending to such a spirited drive.

In these conditions the challenge became as much about just trying to keep the car facing forwards as anything else. 'Nothing' corners like 3 and 11 that you could normally go through reading your bank statement suddenly became full on corners where you could lose heaps of time. I tried my best to catch Dark, but I wasn't catching him at anything like the rate i'd anticipated before I made the decision to pit again. All the oversteer moments getting on the power were halting my charge and I soon realised I wouldn't have enough laps to catch him. He crossed the line to complete a stunning win, he read the conditions to perfection and played all of his cards right, a fantastic victory 👍

And here are the tables:

The Championship Tables (As of round 18):

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 552 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 411 pts
3rd. Baumi27 - 310 pts
4th. Pipeslice - 299 pts
5th. Mutu20 - 208 pts
6th. Ardius - 135 pts
7th. kcheeb - 106 pts
8th. Tombrooks97 - 68 pts
9th. pj-gm - 67 pts
10th. AliT12 - 57 pts
11th. MikeTheHockeyFan - 44 pts
12th. Upuaut - 36 pts
13th. NumbPhase - 34 pts
14th. DOUQA - 19 pts
15th. Paulzx - 16 pts
16th. Jerry786 - 12 pts
17th. Shark33 - 3 pts
18th. Muzza_ORUK - 3 pts
19th. Manios22DC - 2 pts
20th. jordy7777 - 2 pts
21st. DonkeyFuzz - 2 pts
22nd. Akmuq - 1 pts

Teams Championship

1st. Tyrrell - 761 pts - Shaggy Alonso, Mutu20, Akmuq
2nd. Benetton - 471 pts - DarkPSI, MikeTheHockeyFan, Paulzx
3rd. Brawn - 447 pts - Baumi27, Manios22DC, Ardius
4th. Jordan - 382 pts - Tombrooks97, Pipeslice, Jerry786, Shark33
5th. Hesketh - 166 pts - kcheeb, NumbPhase, DOUQA, jordy7777, DonkeyFuzz, Muzza_ORUK
6th. Brabham - 160 pts - Upuaut, AliT12, pj-gm

Last edited:
great report as usual,they will be missed in the next season.my trouble is I tend to forget quite alot of what goes on in detail because of so much concerntration during the race.ive got a mind like a sieve lol.

great report as usual,they will be missed in the next season.my trouble is I tend to forget quite alot of what goes on in detail because of so much concerntration during the race.ive got a mind like a sieve lol.

great report shaggy as usual!
So you won't organise the next season. So will you attend another league?

Best regards

DarkPSI

Thanks guys, i'm glad you enjoy reading them 👍

Yeah that's right Dark, organising this championship has been a pleasure but it was slightly constrictive to my plans on Sundays, and my g/f was never that happy about it so it'll be the last championship I run for a while. I'll probably sign up to a F1 2011 championship, but one thing I hate is the way all these championships start up within about a week of the game coming out even though everyone is still getting accustomed to the game, i'd much rather join one once i've learnt all I need to learn about the game. So if I am signing up to a championship it probably won't be for a while, and I won't be able to attend every race as I currently do.

i fully agree.
So hopefully I will have the chance to learn this game with you guys, and this forum should be a good place to meet for training.

Best regards

DarkPSI

Thanks guys, i'm glad you enjoy reading them 👍

Yeah that's right Dark, organising this championship has been a pleasure but it was slightly constrictive to my plans on Sundays, and my g/f was never that happy about it so it'll be the last championship I run for a while. I'll probably sign up to a F1 2011 championship, but one thing I hate is the way all these championships start up within about a week of the game coming out even though everyone is still getting accustomed to the game, i'd much rather join one once i've learnt all I need to learn about the game. So if I am signing up to a championship it probably won't be for a while, and I won't be able to attend every race as I currently do.

Interesting, that makes sense somewhat as to why this was the first championship that actually makes it to the end of the season without having to repeat the start or abandon but the one-off races were always successful.

Interesting, that makes sense somewhat as to why this was the first championship that actually makes it to the end of the season without having to repeat the start or abandon but the one-off races were always successful.

Yeah, everyone signs up in the hype of the release for a couple of weeks and then it peters out as people lose interest. At least in our championship, it consisted of mostly people who'd been playing the game for a while and stuck with it. In the case of the last championship, the release of GT5 destroyed it more than anything else though.

I'd be very interested in running in a 2011 series with you guys and if I was able to I would have asked to run with you in your current season but the time of the race conflicts with another series I am in with GT5. I will look for the GTP 2011 season and if the time works for me I'll sign up. Are most of you from Europe? Just wondering because the times are always in GMT so that means I am 4 hours behind your time ( I think 5 with daylight savings ) . I was interested in someone else's new series being started up on this board here but so far no information has been supplied. Seems like you guys have a good time racing each other.

I'm currently thinking of organising a one-off event for F1 2011 as a precursor to an 8th Championship - partly to get us all used to racing with the new rules (Pirellis, KERS, DRS, safety cars) but also to see how well I can personally manage organising races again.
I have to say I'm having second thoughts about organising the next championship - as Shaggy has found it is quite time-consuming and for the series to be a success you need to dedicate a fair bit of personal free-time. This is why I stopped doing it after the 2nd one, even when I didn't even race most of the season it was getting to be a chore organising it all! I'm currently working out a few ways I can at least reduce the "chore" part.

Anyway, I'm thinking of organising effectively a test-race meeting shortly after F1 2011 comes out on the new India track which allows us to become familiar with a new track too. The idea is to run several shorter races and try different settings and also to allow people to jump in and out over a night (I think a Saturday would most likely be popular). So rather than getting 16 people together, we could have 30+ people join in over the night. This way those who can only make certain times can turn up whenever is best. Kind of like GT5's lobby system except only a little less fluid as it requires invites.

I think as Shaggy said, that an 8th Championship should be left a while so we all have a chance to have a break, play the single player and to let the number of people die down a bit again so its more long-term drivers and less short-term.

I'd be interested Ardius. I'm hoping to pick this up shortly after its release.

Yes, you should hold off for around a few weeks, maybe a month, before you start it. I've seen it many times, people get carried away, make a championship and get all exited, entry list gets packed, first few races may go well, but then half of everyone pulls out by mid season. You should also try your best to recruit the established racers who have been in the series before, over the rookies, so you can have a nice clean series.

Well if most of the people in this league stay for the next one I doubt they will quit as all the ones I've raced against have been in it for the long haul.as for starting to early ,I agree that we should wait a little bit maybe a month,but I also believe that starting fairly soon is ok as everyone is learning the new physics and what works best and I think it would show good progression through the season., as everyone gradually gets better setups and car control.when ever the new season is started I hope darkpsi is still gonna join aswell as the usual suspects.

I like the idea of having a test run Ardius, would be fun. And I do think we should wait for at least a month before starting the next series.

One thing that might help the organizer feel less tied down and overwhelmed, is to run three weekly races then take a week off, three more races and take a week off... Over a month you have one free Sunday night to placate the missus :-) Just a thought.

so what are you saying, you don't want newcomers? anyway I would like to sign up for the Indian test, although this will probably be ignored, the sign up thread will be made whilst I'm unable to get to the computer and I won't be able to join but I can always hope

saidur_ali
Is there space for me for the last race. If so what car will I get? I will start practicing at the weekend.

Yeah there's space for you Ali, you'll probably have several cars to choose from, they're all equal in performance so don't worry about it. Btw, is Abu dhabi a home race of sorts for you?

Yeah there's space for you Ali, you'll probably have several cars to choose from, they're all equal in performance so don't worry about it. Btw, is Abu dhabi a home race of sorts for you?

Nope, Silverstone will likely remain the most homely race on the F1 calandar in my lifetime.

It will be interesting to get used to the Abu Dhabi track, will not suit me but I will try and do my best.

Managed to get DC to sign something and see Martin Brundle. Legard talked to me as well saying for me to replace my brother in the competition. I don't think it was possible though but might have been in with the chance of winning it and getting to talk to DC directly next to him but oh well.

Anyone on here play GT5 :sly:? The new seasonal event has got what the final event was. You can beat DC's time, however the server is currently down and should be up by midnight.

Shaggy, when are you going to give it a go? I might be able to jump in as well, in case you need someone to fill up the grid. :)

if your going to represent GTP atleast reply to my posts, *disgrace*

abit harsh I think. Your post on the previous page says will there be a 2011 season,well no one here knows yet so that might be why nothing was said.and then you want to be signed up to the Indian test when there isn't anything to be signed up to yet,I think its all just ideas ATM.and this is shaggys last season so what ever talk about a new one does not involve him.but what I will say is he has never disappointed me as a host.If you want to be in the new season if or when that is you won't be ignored ,no one here is like that.

Nope, Silverstone will likely remain the most homely race on the F1 calandar in my lifetime.

It will be interesting to get used to the Abu Dhabi track, will not suit me but I will try and do my best.

Managed to get DC to sign something and see Martin Brundle. Legard talked to me as well saying for me to replace my brother in the competition. I don't think it was possible though but might have been in with the chance of winning it and getting to talk to DC directly next to him but oh well.

Anyone on here play GT5 :sly:? The new seasonal event has got what the final event was. You can beat DC's time, however the server is currently down and should be up by midnight.

Shaggy, when are you going to give it a go? I might be able to jump in as well, in case you need someone to fill up the grid. :)

Give what a go, GT5? If that's what you mean I already own it and occasionally think i'm getting into it before becoming bored again, although the online racing potential of the game is huge. Although it'll probably remain that for me, potential. You have to invest so much of your life to get anything worthwhile out of that game.

so what are you saying, you don't want newcomers? anyway I would like to sign up for the Indian test, although this will probably be ignored, the sign up thread will be made whilst I'm unable to get to the computer and I won't be able to join but I can always hope

if your going to represent GTP atleast reply to my posts, *disgrace*

:lol:

I can't help you, consult your psychiatrist.

*Serious answer*:

I've already said i'm not organising the next championship, i've nothing to do with it. So don't speak to me like i'm paid by GT Planet to answer all your questions. As Pipeslice has said, the guys are just musing over what they're going to organise for F1 2011, nothing's set in stone - it's not an official FIA championship, you do realise?

Give what a go, GT5? If that's what you mean I already own it and occasionally think i'm getting into it before becoming bored again, although the online racing potential of the game is huge. Although it'll probably remain that for me, potential. You have to invest so much of your life to get anything worthwhile out of that game.

I think Mr. S was on about F1 2011, not sure though.

Anyway you, Dark and Pipeslice should do the Mercedes Seasonal event. You can see if you beat DC's real world time of 1:16.32 . I know you guys are extremely fast on F1 2010, just checking to see if you can top the leaderboards on GT5 too? I don't think I saw any of you on the GT Academy leaderboards, why not participate?

Anyway you, Dark and Pipeslice should do the Mercedes Seasonal event. You can see if you beat DC's real world time of 1:16.32 . I know you guys are extremely fast on F1 2010, just checking to see if you can top the leaderboards on GT5 too? I don't think I saw any of you on the GT Academy leaderboards, why not participate?

I'm very average at GT5, always was at GT5P and Supercar Challenge too, and most racing games in general. The only ones I ever excelled at were F1:CE and F1 2010 - no idea why.

Might give it a bash anyhoo.

Actually...I meant Abu Dhabi in a few days. :P

Actually...I meant Abu Dhabi in a few days. :P

Sure man, so long as you're a clean racer then you're most welcome. We're missing a few runners who have dropped out so you and Ali will both have slots available to take. If anyone's up for a practice right now, I am? I need your PSN ID btw Mr. S, thanks.

P.S. What is a Frenchman doing with an Audi LMP1 proto as his avatar? :P

Back