3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm going to miss tonights race again. Works killing me. Sorry about that. From now on I'm not going to declare until night of race, so I don't take up a spot. That is probably also a bit inconvenient, but I think it's better than having to drop out day of race.

Hopefully see you next week,

Baron

I'm just glad I didn't get lapped.

That was my aim going in ;). I enjoyed our tussle; wondered what happened...

Also, probably the only time I'll ever "beat" Marc, even if I had to send a large bribe to his pit crew 💡

Apologies for holding anyone up/tapping hind quarters early (Sjaak and gooners, IIRC). The quali shuffle (Do, Do, Doooo the Quali Shuffle....) put me middle pack, and several faster people all needing to get past at the same time kinda freaked me out :crazy:

Congratulation markyboy for the race win!

Thank you Hydro and WRP for hosting such a great race (I need to know your names soon haha) 👍

I qualified 5th but Kaz decided to put me in last place :indiff:, picked up 2 penalties in the first lap, and I think I screwed up turn one 4-5 times :ouch:.

Does GT5 tire model reward you for driving smoothly? This is the first time I have experienced tire wear in GT5, and the results were... interesting.

Apologies for holding anyone up/tapping hind quarters early (Sjaak and gooners, IIRC)
Haha no worries, I enjoyed the first couple of laps when we were at the back, then the race became pretty lonely.

Thank you Hydro and WRP for hosting such a great race (I need to know your names soon haha) 👍

I qualified 5th but Kaz decided to put me in last place :indiff:, picked up 2 penalties in the first lap, and I think I screwed up turn one 4-5 times :ouch:.

Does GT5 tire model reward you for driving smoothly? This is the first time I have experienced tire wear in GT5, and the results were... interesting.

Hydro = Marc, WRP = Tim. 👍

Kaz is really playing games for qualification. That's one of the reasons we used my lounge for practice and Marc's for quali... to reduce the variables, but it still didn't work. Don't worry we have a plan. :sly:

My race also ended up somewhat lonely after 4 laps, but definitely still exciting. Basically turned into a 21 lap time trial between Speedy and myself for 2nd. Speedy would cut to gap to about 2 seconds and then I'd extend it to 3 and back and forth it went. Both of us made some mistakes here and there, but I think both of us drove pretty consistently for large stretches. Had he caught my draft I think he would have disposed of me in a couple laps.

Just a pic from the first banked turn in the first lap

roadcoursedaytona1.jpg

Enjoyed the race very much!
👍 for Marc and Tim!

Sorry you guys had problems, I suggest we go the old fashioned way and just line up and do an out lap tonight, this random starting grid issue seems to be cropping up more frequently then in the past.
Cangrats to Mark on the Win in the Eu race as well.

Here are the EU results and live leaderboard

BritishInvasionEUResults.jpg

EDIT: My lounge is open for practice and will be until qualifying starts in Hydro's lounge.

Last edited:
Hi guys, just wanted to let you know I won't be racing tonight. Last minute change of plans.

Have a great race and see you next week.👍

Sorry guys, got stuck out of town with work and only just started the 2 hour drive back. This sucks!! Have a great race and hopefully I can make it next week :)

If there are openings for NA race I'd be happy to fill in.

MadMax

important event update:
British Invasion Online NA Race Host Change - 7PM PDT / 10PM EDT

NEW HOST: WRP001

A local storm has left me without power for over 80 minutes. 2 hours.
3 rd time since the EU race earlier today, but the others lasted ~1-3 minutes.
Now there are 7 very large utility trucks across the street, so it looks grim :(
Streetlights, traffic lights, all out.

If power is restored on time, I'll jump in for the race, but hosting, even with power restored would be risky at this point.

The irony of a man named Hydro being without power .....

:banghead:

Lonely here with only my iPhone :(
... And Csl's icon :lol:

Last edited:
Hey guys, just checking in to see how things are going and I see that the NA event is having some hiccups. I ran last weeks wrs for about 20 minute, I was going to race anyways tonight just for fun, but I've got some things I need to take care around the house, so what I might do is just login to watch.

T13R
Hey guys, just checking in to see how things are going and I see that the NA event is having some hiccups. I ran last weeks wrs for about 20 minute, I was going to race anyways tonight just for fun, but I've got some things I need to take care around the house, so what I might do is just login to watch.

Should be great NA race, I'm just screwed at the moment. Toronto's getting pretty wet/windy.
I'll be watching too if I miss the start.
30 mins and counting....

The drivers are in my lounge right now (GTP_WRP001). Come on in. Quite a few people missing. I sent PSN messages to all the drivers we expected to race who haven't shown up yet.

Hydro

:banghead:

Lonely here with only my iPhone :(
... And Csl's icon :lol:

Ouch. Good luck. You need a UPS/genset and a personal hotspot ;)

Last edited:
Looks like I'm under candle power for the night. 👎
I have a feeling I missed a great race. :(

I'll ask Tim to email me the replay, I had really hoped I could at least get on in time to watch.

Not like I needed even more reason to want next week to come sooner, that's a sick combo if I've ever seen one :D, but now I have a whole race to make up for.

Congrats to Markyboy for winning the EU race, az well as the NA race in advance :sly:

See you all on track in a week 👍

Good race guys. Congratz to MadMax for the win. I'll be posting the results and live leaderboard in the morning.

Pretty entertaining race overall, crashed around lap 10 and gave MadMax a 4.5 second lead, he pit on 12, I on 13, shoulda went on 12. :indiff:
Bob hesitated pulling out because the stall in front was occupied, came out of the pit about 9 seconds down, and the chase began.
Ran a pretty solid second half by myself, had a 4 second error that cost any chance I had though, and MadMax drove like a champ, particularly winning the race in the bus stop alone, I was gaining almost every other sector I checked on most laps, but even on my good runs through the bus stop, he held even, and ran what seemed like a perfect final 13 laps.
Truly great final 13 laps Max. 👍

My best lap of 55.8 pleased me, though there was surely room for better if I really nailed one with draft, but a string of 56's and some 57's proved unworthy of catching Max tonight.

Can't wait for the pics of Max 12 feet in the air, looking like he was going to squash Lefty when he came back down, I was lucky enough to glance back just in time. :lol:

I had visions of grandeur for 11+ laps. Swapping one of the top 3 positions with MadMax and CSL. I had the plan in place... don't do anything carzy, stay behind them but on their tail, give up 0.5 per lap through T3 and then just draft back to their bumper by the bus stop. Pit when they pit... basically be a class A leach for the race and take my chances on the final lap.

It all worked for 11.7 laps and then I spun at the bus stop with worn tires on lap 12 and that approach went out the window. If I could have held on for one more turn MadMax pitted on that lap and I could have hoped his pit bobs could have glitched him since I would be pulling in behind. :lol:

Instead after my crash I pitted and got glitched myself as gooners followed me a few seconds later into the pits and I got held in my pit until he left. Battle with gooners, Lefty and EDK at various times ensued over the 2nd half.

The race couldn't have taken on a more different complexion than the EU race where I basically ran alone in 2nd the whole time. In the NA race I think maybe 2-3 laps through the bus stop by myself and the rest was within a second of another driver and most closer than that. Fun stuff even if my finish wasn't as good.

Lefty is one hard dude to get past. He drives clean, but knows how to hold his position and how to re-pass. 👍 I tried to bump draft him a few laps as we were closing on Gooners, but didn't ask his permission... hope that was OK?

Thank you guys for coming out... I hope all of you return next week for more fun! 👍

My apologies to Gooners, as I made a couple comments out of frustration after that last lap incident, that was really just a racing incident and nothing more. Between my turn 1 error while leading and then getting screwed by the pit stop gods, my head was not in the right place, but that's not your fault.

I watched the replay, and you and I were racing close, and any contact we had was incidental and not intentional. So again, sorry, and thanks for the racing. 👍

Great racing by everyone, I had a good time, although I know my potential performance was much better than my actual. I'll just have to be better next time....

With that, I present to you the Incredible Flying MadMax86. :D

RoadCourse-Daytona_7.jpg

RoadCourse-Daytona_8.jpg

Awesome pics Kevin. You can see the sky through the holes in MadMax's car. :crazy:

Oh sheet , did that really happen? :lol:

MadMax

Yup, when we were talking about you 2 racing on top of each other and not knowing it. That's coming out of turn 1. :lol:

Nice job, all that made it. 👍 Those who didn't (including me), there's always next week! :cheers:

Fun race tonight guys, even with 7 people on track it was full of action, and congrats to MadMax on a crazy win!

My apologies to Gooners, as I made a couple comments out of frustration after that last lap incident, that was really just a racing incident and nothing more. Between my turn 1 error while leading and then getting screwed by the pit stop gods, my head was not in the right place, but that's not your fault.

I watched the replay, and you and I were racing close, and any contact we had was incidental and not intentional. So again, sorry, and thanks for the racing.

Don't worry about it man 👍, it was a great battle. I will be looking at the replay carefully just to make sure I didn't pull any shenanigans on you on the straight before the bus stop.

Here's to more battles :cheers: (on track :lol:)

Haha I always thought of Toronto Hydro before I knew your name. Lucky I guess I didn't lose any power, cuz the storm was pretty bad.

Thats some serious air MadMax :bowdown:

EDIT: Thanks for hosting Tim!

I think a formation lap like at Monaco is the way to go regardless of whether we find the reason for the messed up starting grid. Warms the tires a bit, makes the field a little more stretched out and there are no surprises at the start - everyone's where they're supposed to be. I think I would've had a much more enjoyable race if I could've just taken off on marky's bumper as he probably would've opened up a gap on me leaving a clear road in front. Now I was confused, missed turn1 with cold tires, caught in a mix of slower/faster traffic and started bumping people left and right. Not a good situation for me since this was only my second time online and first time with a noticeable draft.

I think a formation lap like at Monaco is the way to go regardless of whether we find the reason for the messed up starting grid. Warms the tires a bit, makes the field a little more stretched out and there are no surprises at the start - everyone's where they're supposed to be. I think I would've had a much more enjoyable race if I could've just taken off on marky's bumper as he probably would've opened up a gap on me leaving a clear road in front. Now I was confused, missed turn1 with cold tires, caught in a mix of slower/faster traffic and started bumping people left and right. Not a good situation for me since this was only my second time online and first time with a noticeable draft.

Remember a formation lap isn't perfect either. In our NA race @ Monaco Lefty starting 2nd thanks to Kaz's bad quali record keeping and couldn't see CSL who started 1st. Lefty took off after the formation lap thinking he was in the lead not knowing CSL was still waiting for the rest of the grid. It's pretty hard to manage a clean rolling start with people inhabiting alternate planes of existence.

Next week I'm putting my steward's vote in for using the WRS time as your quali time and a formation lap to sort out the order. Leaves us more time for racing so a slightly longer race as we start the race countdown 15 mins past the hour instead of 30 past the hour.

Our 3D3 plan from the beginning was to shuffle the options weekly including fastest first vs reverse grid, grid start vs rolling start, pre-race online quali vs WRS time quali. Variety is the spice of life and we don't have to stick to just one formula 👍

Here's the EU Race Video Highlights (Just the first 4 laps):

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back