3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
kk20
Once again my stupidity has got the better of me...does quali's start at 8pm GMT or does the race start at 8pm GMT....

Thanks

The quali session starts at 8pm GMT 👍

EU Race lobby is open.

Im afraid I cant make it this week....I thought the race starts at 8pm and will finish before or at 9pm...I was really hoping to race this week since I love the calsonic, I just waisted a good chunk of time for practicing :banghead:....At 9pm onwards im really busy. Im definetely in for next week though. Presuming my mates dont make more plans...I'd like to apologise to everyone here for backing out at the last minute and I hope you have a good race..👍

Hello everyone. I would really like to start racing in the 3D3racing series, but i have never raced anyone online before. I'm not sure how good my connection is, if my mic works, things like that. So i was wondering if i could get my name on the driver registry, so on non race days if someone is practicing in the racing lounge i could join them to learn some more about this. Thanks

Welcome, Joe. 👍 Looks like you're in MST timezone, so if you are free tonight 7pm-8pm MST, the GTP_3D3Racing PSN account lounge will be open for pre-race practice. Quali then starts at 8pm MST. Otherwise, the next regularly scheduled NA practice is next Monday @ 6pm MST (for next week's Wed race).

Some first steps:
- hook up your mic before starting GT5, and go into the far-left XMB menu: Accessory Settings -> Audio Accessory settings. There is a level meter where you can test if your mic works
- Go for an ethernet wired connection if you can. Wireless can work, but is more risky.
- Go to Network Settings in the far-left XMB menu, and look up what IP address your PS3 has. Then access your home router on your PC web browser (usually you do this by typing in the IP address of the router, 10.0.0.1 in my case, sometimes they are 192.168.x.1 though). You typically need a login/password that would have been listed in your router docs.
--> Look for the router option to setup a DMZ, and set the IP obtained from the PS3 in the DMZ. Save settings and you are done on the PC.
- Do an Internet Connection test in the XMB Network Settings, and note down the results
- In the far-right XMB menu, choose Add Friend, type in GTP_3D3Racing, and send it. Tim will need to login and accept it, before you'll be able to see the lounge in the GT5 steps below.
- When you start GT5, you can optionally go to Options->Network (bottom row) and clear network cache, but it's not clear to me that this is needed, especially if you've never gone online in GT5
- In GT Life menu, choose Community and scroll through the vertical users list to find GTP_3D3Racing, click it, and then go right to the Lounge (coffee cup). Click it and you should see a list of who's in the lounge.

All these things can be done in advance without actually getting into the lounge, and will give us a good picture of whether things will be good or not.

Lucas

Having fun eating my lunch at work and watching the stream!

Looks like Biffy, Pekka, and Dom are doing 1 stoppers, and Tim, Marc, and Christophe are doing 2 stoppers.

EDIT:
Nice job on the win, Dom! But Marc almost had you with his 2 stopper. Must have had a bobble near the end?

And Christophe, you made the end exciting with that last lap pass on Biffy!

Well done, guys. 👍 See some of you in a few hours.

Last edited:
Watching :D

EDIT: :( no I'm not, seems my home 'tinternet connection can't even handle the live stream! Where's the facepalm emicon when you want it?

Hello everyone. I would really like to start racing in the 3D3racing series, but i have never raced anyone online before. I'm not sure how good my connection is, if my mic works, things like that. So i was wondering if i could get my name on the driver registry, so on non race days if someone is practicing in the racing lounge i could join them to learn some more about this. Thanks

👍 No problem. I added you to the PSN friends list and updated the 3D3 Registry. You are welcome to join us for practice or just jump in the lounge anytime you want to run with other drivers or see other drivers in there.

In fact, you can join us for pre-race practice tonight at around 6:00 or 6:30 PM Pacific. If you don't want to race you can just hop off when we start qualifying at 7:00 PM or if there is room you can observe qualifying and the race from the lounge.

PS> Good win Dom. First thought I had it, then thought Marc had the win, then figures you had it wrapped up, then caught up to you about 4 seconds in 3 turns on the last lap and thought for a second I had hope if your tires were bald.

Thanks Lucas! I should have been more clear, i have practiced in my lobby before, just not with anybody. Tonight when i get home, i will run through your first checks for me, and get my internet test speed for you.
If i cant make it tonight, i will see you Monday for practice.
Thanks again:)
I didn't see your post WRP001, thanks for adding me so quick, and for the info!

Last edited:
A win or even a top three (read four) finish was deffinately out of the question for me.
I was hoping I could catch Biffy near the end and when I saw it was possible I made some mistakes trying to push too hard. A spin and an almost spin in the left/right halfway T1 made me think my race was over.
Still, I was catching Biffy like he was on his rims, and he was. Lucky for me :sly:
Good race guys. 👍
I'm off to bed now to catch the second race. ;)

Found that facepalm for you Jon. :sly:
images

Hey guys, sorry i couldnt make it, i overslept! Goodluck to all!
You missed out today, was an awesome race.:dopey:

We were a little spread out off the start, so I tried waiting just a little bit for Biffy and Speedy, which wound up a mistake, ended up second to last for a while. Eventually Pekka and Speedy made some mistakes and I was able to claim the lead after Marc and Tim pit in on laps 6 (????) and 8, which left me very slowly pulling away from Pekka.
I actually decided on a 1 stopper because I forgot it was technically a 21 lap race, so based on my tires on lap 7, I thought how I'd easily make it to lap 10, but the problem was, I had an extra lap on each stint to make, which was probably the difference between being faster then a 2 stop and not.

When (I think) Tim caught up to me right before I pit in on lap 11 of 21, I thought I was racing for third at best, but that was not the case, I ran a very solid second stint, with my later lap being up to 3 seconds faster per lap then the first stint. :)
Finally around lap 16-17 It was me and Marc, racing to the finish, and frankly, he was running me down like a dog, I was sure I'd end up in second, until the last lap, he finally caught my draft.:scared: Turn 5 it happened, I went to fast trying to keep my .5 lead, and smacked into the right side wall, I thought it was surely over, and heard a cry over the headsets, 🤬
And then nobody passed me.... As luck would have it, Marc fully wiped out! The win was mine! :)
Drove very slow and cautious from there out, I had around a 5-6 second lead now over Tim, with half a lap to go, the only way to lose was crash, so I simply drove to ensure there was no crash, took the line 1.5 seconds in the lead.:)
I have never raced on such bald tires in my life.:lol:

Fantastic race, very much looking forward to doing it again tonight guys. :cheers:

In case you didn't see it in the google document, Marc (Hydro) set an amazing qualifying lap. He was first out of the gate and ran 2'22.245!!! Nobody came closer than 0.6 to that time.

Full quali details here. Nobody managed to track the splits for Marc and I so those are missing, but we'll try and capture everything tonight.

I think the initial reviews of this quali format were positive. Definitely a few shaky palms and fast beating hearts. Good stuff.

And FYI. The starting grid order was NOT accurate. Not surprising considering we all left the track and back to lobby when our quali was over. When we started the race everyone was in the pits and *nobody* left the pits before the race timer finished.

EDIT: Here is the captured data from qualifying:

CapeFearQualifying_EU.png

EDIT: A note on the start of the EU race. I started 2nd and with the rolling start I got a *very* good draft on Marc. I could have taken the first spot pretty easily with a little aggression in corner 1. I did pull up inside, because otherwise CSL behind me would have passed me, but made sure to stay tight through the turn and give Marc plenty of room on the outside and with the momentum from a wider corner he easily regained the lead. I felt that was fair and it would have been rather "cheap" if not "dirty" to get dominated by 0.6 in quali and then dive bomb him and force him to yield in the first corner. That's not a hard rule that anyone has to obey tonight, but remember to treat others as you wish to be treated yourself. :sly:

Last edited:
Cape Fear EU Results 👍

EUresults2.png

Great win by Dominic :cheers:

That was a fun race guys :D
After pitting 2 laps too early, I knew it was going to be tough to hold off anyone unless I was ahead after my 2nd stop.
Knowing that Dominic and Pekka were running 1 stop races, I figured as long as I came out in front of Tim after my 2nd pit, I had a shot.
I stretched out my 2nd stint so that Tim only had 1 less lap on fresh tires than me to finish with.
After managing to stay in front, I started to chase down Pekka, and Dominic - never an easy task - Ever :sly:
With 4 laps to go, I started to conserve tires a bit (I must have adjusted the BB 7 times in the race), and realized I needed to speed up a bit if I was ever going to catch Dominic, as he wasn't slowing as much as I had thought he would, and I made a few errors as well.
On the 2nd last lap, I was sure I could catch him in the first straight, or after the 1st hairpin on the very last lap.
All was going perfectly according to plan, until I got loose in the chicane before the 1st hairpin, and spun :(, allowing Dominic to escape, and Tim to slip by :yuck:

Dominic, why can't you be just a bit slower :confused: :lol:

Fantastic race, very much looking forward to doing it again tonight guys. :cheers:

You had better believe I want a re-match! :D

Last edited:
Oh crap, maybe I just wasn't reading Tim's quali explanation clearly enough, but I thought the quali penalties applied to the quali lap, and only affected your start position.

Now I see they apply to your final race time! Great, even more pressure. :nervous:

-----EDIT: Oops, I am just making things up again. :rolleyes: Sorry for the diversion. Just trying to catch up to Tim's 1000+ posts. :P

Oh crap, maybe I just wasn't reading Tim's quali explanation clearly enough, but I thought the quali penalties applied to the quali lap, and only affected your start position.

Now I see they apply to your final race time! Great, even more pressure. :nervous:

They only apply to your quali time. But they are 2 seconds per incident.

And FYI. The starting grid order was NOT accurate. Not surprising considering we all left the track and back to lobby when our quali was over.
I am surprised, however, since in the series we did this multiple times and the grid was correct.

I am surprised, however, since in the series we did this multiple times and the grid was correct.

You know what I take that back. Max started in front of me which we thought was wrong, but now that I look at it based on his time *without* the penalty that was actually accurate. So maybe it did work. We'll be doing this again tonight so let's see with a bigger field and more data points.

They only apply to your quali time. But they are 2 seconds per incident.
I had thought for sure it was in the rules that if it was an off that very clearly cost the driver time there was no penalty?
I know Speedy's off cost him at least 2-3 seconds, yet he still got a penalty, which is why I ask.

Edit: what was the grid order vs what it was supposed to be?

I had thought for sure it was in the rules that if it was an off that very clearly cost the driver time there was no penalty?
I know Speedy's off cost him at least 2-3 seconds, yet he still got a penalty, which is why I ask.

I posted earlier today ditching the "interpretation" aspect. If something is too hard to explain clearly and/or is too much in the "gray" then it shouldn't be used. We don't have official marshals and we're all just observing without access to replay so figured it's best to be *simple*.

See the bottom of this post.

In order to simplify things, and completely remove any sort of need for "judgement calls" we changed the quali rules so that ANY off track costs you 2 seconds.

I started writing up an explanation of whether an off clearly affected time or not and it's confusing and left to interpretation so I'm going to make a last minute change and repeat this pre-race. If you go off track you get a 2 second penalty. End of story and no interpretation of it's impact on your lap. If you crash and spin and incur engine damage, you get an infraction and a 2 seconds added to your time for each infraction on the lap. That way there is only one thing monitors need to look for: Did the driver clearly go out of bounds? If Yes, the driver gets an infraction.

Edit: Tim types faster than I do :D

The twins with twin responses. :P Figures.:lol:

Didn't have time to read through thread before the race today, np.

Hey, I can make it for the race tonight.

I'll try to get on a bit early for some practice. See ya later.

Hey, I can make it for the race tonight.

I'll try to get on a bit early for some practice. See ya later.

👍 Your WRS time will slot you in last for qualifying. So you get the cooker seat. :sly:

NA Race Slot (10:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Pacific)

A1
ca.gif
GTP_Hydro ........
badge_division_2.png
... Marc ....... NA (2.938)
A2
ca.gif
GTP_gooners_17 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Mohit ...... NA (2.928)
A3
us.gif
GTP_WRP001 .......
badge_division_2.png
... Tim ........ NA (2.784)
B1
be.gif
GTP_Speedy6543 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Christophe . NA (2.632)
B2
us.gif
GTP_dsgerbc ......
badge_division_2.png
... Dan ........ NA (2.514)
B3
us.gif
GTP_CSL ..........
badge_division_1.png
... Dominic .... NA (1.899)
C1
us.gif
GTP_RaceRyder ....
badge_division_4.png
... Dale ....... 2'25.983
C2
ca.gif
GTP_Allibubba99 ..
badge_division_4.png
... Al ......... 2'24.733
C3
us.gif
GTP_LeftyWright ..
badge_division_3.png
... Lefty ...... 2'23.497
D1
us.gif
GTP_Gravitron ....
badge_division_3.png
... Lucas ...... 2'22.344
D2
us.gif
GTP_EDK ..........
badge_division_2.png
... Kevin ...... 2'21.760
D3
us.gif
GTPcats_pajamas ..
badge_division_2.png
... Baron ...... 2'20.956

To save a little time, each group will go into pits and on track together. Use your warm up lap to get spread out in the proper order (e.g. A1 -> A2 -> A3). When your hot lap is complete stay on track. After your times are entered and confirmed you will be instructed to leave the track (as a group). Once instructed, you should hit start and exit track to pits and then exit immediately to the lobby. You will act as observers for the other groups.

Since we are going to have 3 drivers running hotlaps at the same time (staggered) each observer will be responsible for monitoring/verifying the lap of the driver with your same index. e.g. B1, C1 and D1 will observe the lap of A1.

Since I'm in Group A, Lucas will focus solely on entering splits and lap times into the google spreadsheet during Group A's qualifying session. Once I exit track I will enter data for the remainder of the session (and leave Lucas to focus on his nerves).

Hydro will coordinate each group's entry and exit from the track.

It sounds complicated, but it all went pretty smooth this afternoon.

PS> Group D should spread out *significantly* more than the other groups. That way almost everyone can watch Kevin and Baron's run for the pole.

Last edited:
Keeping tabs on the qualifying results, hope it works out properly. If it goes according to your written procedure I think it should be good. 👍

My upload speed has gone from .45mbps to .12mbps today, no idea why.:mad:
Verizon will be getting a phone call in the morning.👎

That's why I lagged in both races but didn't see any lag, my upload speed is perfectly fine, at 1.2mbps
The disconnect was just my internet shutting off completely, I had to reset the modem to do anything at all.

I was running such a perfect race it's just unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back