3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
My tune so far:

Downforce: 50/70

Transmission:
Final 2.100
Max speed: 372 km/h

LSD 8/16/8

Suspension
0/-3
19.0/17.0
7/8
8/7
6/5

2.0/1.0
0.00/0.00

brakes 5/3

Racing Hard tyres

ABS 1

It's not perfect yet. I'll update the tune when any changes has been made to it.

I assume you know we're running Racing Medium tires... but just checking. I'm sure if the tune works for RH tires it'll be fine for mediums, but just want to make sure nobody gets confused.

PS> Lucas -- I've taken killa_kandy off the EU grid. He said this morning that he can't make it. Frees up the "Camry #18 Kyle Busch '10 M&M" in case anyone wants it.

FYI. We are running single stint - 2 hot lap qualifying format this week with two groups of drivers each getting 7 minutes to run a warmup, 2 hotlaps and then exit to pits. This should help with traffic which would be a problem if we release all 14 drivers at once on this relatively short track.

Here's the procedure
  1. Drivers are assigned to one of two groups (A & B) based on handicap in the event post. Lowest handicaps in Group B.
  2. Group A will enter course together at start of quali and manage their own spacing during the warm up lap. Please spread out and give plenty of room. At 90 seconds per lap you should have at least a 10 second gap between drivers.
  3. Group A will complete a warm up lap and then run two hot laps. The fastest hot lap will determine your spot on the grid.
  4. Group A drivers will exit track to pits immediately upon completing the 2nd hot lap with Start/Exit function (you do not have to drive around to pits)
  5. Group A drivers should stay in the pits until the final Group A driver exits to the pits and the times recorded. A marshal in Group B will notify you via mic that you can exit to the lobby (and watch race to observe Group B qualifying)
  6. Group B will then immediately enter the track and follow the procedure above: run warm up, spread out, run 2 hot laps, exit to pits.
  7. When the last driver from Group B exits to the pits all Group A drivers will enter the pits
  8. When all drivers are in the pits we will start the race timer. Stay in the pits and do not enter track.

The goals are (i) to finish quali in 15 minutes, (ii) keep things fairly simple, (iii) reduce the impact of traffic on quali laps.

We're not 100% sure if we should hold Group A drivers in the pits or allow them to exit to the lobby and "watch" Group B run their laps. I'm fine with that as long as we get to test during practice and there are no issues.

Last edited:
I assume you know we're running Racing Medium tires... but just checking. I'm sure if the tune works for RH tires it'll be fine for mediums, but just want to make sure nobody gets confused.

PS> Lucas -- I've taken killa_kandy off the EU grid. He said this morning that he can't make it. Frees up the "Camry #18 Kyle Busch '10 M&M" in case anyone wants it.
Yeah, sorry. I was driving on race hards. Kristof just told me that the race is on race medium tyres. I'll have to change my tune then.

This 'car' really feels like you're trying to maneuver an aircraft carrier :ouch:

I'm still in the GTP_3D3Racing Lounge for the next 45min...

I might run the events at 22th, 29th and 5th next year ;)
Schools will be closed for christmas then :)

How do you guys decide the laps every race? Is it based on time or on number of stints.

I feel the tire wear will give everyone a challenge when it comes to strategy, if the race is around 40 laps.

mohitraina91
How do you guys decide the laps every race? Is it based on time or on number of stints.

I feel the tire wear will give everyone a challenge when it comes to strategy, if the race is around 40 laps.

Usually time, trying to target 55-60 minutes, but tweaks for tires / pits. In an ideal world it's nice to have a length with two possible pit strategies, but not always possible.

Seems lately fewer pits = win, but you still have to race well. Laguna - NA, one pit strategy wins by 1 sec. Last week both races 1 pit won by 1.5 secs... Would have been diff if CSL hadn't DC'd but I digress.

What kind of tire wear are you getting?

I did some online testing in my privite lobby, 10 laps and the fronts are toast. Times fall off fast after 8 laps. The tight chicane eats the fronts bad, even at 30-40mph. This car almost doesn't have the turning radius to get though it.

This was with RM tires, looks like a 3 stopper for me. Although I'm not too good at conserving tires. The smoother drivers will probably get by with two stops I would guess.

You can sign me up for the NA race. I've been testing with the 2010 Fusion, Carl Edwards #99 Aflac car. I believe it's available, so I'll use that.

The Cape Fear event was a lot of fun even without tuning , if tuning was allowed I would have jumped on track when the room was being reset for EU qualify , to do this:

calsonicimpulrallycarat.jpg

Now back to the Nascars , this is my setup so far:

Indy online free run 1'27.227 , with a better driver (than me) a 1'26 is doable at least.

My car choise #20 Camry '10

DF 50/70

Transmission
Firt move Final gear to 3.000 and after that move max speed to 240km/h / all the way to left.
And then set the gears as follows.
F2.000

LSD 15/18/24

suspension
15/15
20.0/17.6
3/8
4/3
7/1

1.9/1.7
0.15/0.35

brakes 6/8
R2 tyres

Active Steering strong

ABS 3

Last edited:
Adding links to the tunes given so far 👍, and adding Blair, to the event post now...

I did some online testing in my privite lobby, 10 laps and the fronts are toast. Times fall off fast after 8 laps. The tight chicane eats the fronts bad, even at 30-40mph. This car almost doesn't have the turning radius to get though it.

This was with RM tires, looks like a 3 stopper for me. Although I'm not too good at conserving tires. The smoother drivers will probably get by with two stops I would guess.

I'm getting 8 laps out of my tire, if I attempt a 9th lap I end up in places in shouldn't be in.
Thats weird MilleRSVR, it's my rear tires that are getting destroyed.

I'm using a DS3 though, so I really can't manage my rear tires that well. I keep getting my rear tires to go red at least 2 times a lap.

I'm getting 8 laps out of my tire, if I attempt a 9th lap I end up in places in shouldn't be in.
Thats weird MilleRSVR, it's my rear tires that are getting destroyed.

I'm using a DS3 though, so I really can't manage my rear tires that well. I keep getting my rear tires to go red at least 2 times a lap.

I'm using a soft LSD setting, so it's easier on the rears. Helps me from spinning out of corners also, I have a brick for a right foot.:sly:

I was just in the 3D3 lobby for awhile, and sjaak joined in for some practice and tuning. I tried his suspension setup, which is basically CSL's, and it was faster and easier on fronts than what I was using.

I managed a 1'27.8xx 2 laps out from the pits with fresh tires and full tank. He did a 1'27.2xx.

Tire wear and pit strategy will come into play as always, but this car eats tires pretty fast. Staying clean on worn tires will be tough.

Feel free to join me in the GTP_3D3Racing lounge for some NASCAR practice.

Edit:
Transmission
Firt move Final gear to 3.200 and after that move max speed to 240km/h / all the way to left.
And then set the gears as follows.
F2.000

Is your first gear a typo Pekka?
Could it be that it should be 4.255?

Edit 2:
I think it's your 'how to'
You say "First move Final gear to 3.200 and after that"

This should be 3.000, right?

Last edited:
My Wednesday commitment got rescheduled so I get to race with you guys again.
I'll take the Camry #20 Joey Logano NASCAR '10 Home Depot, for NA race.

My tune so far:

Downforce: 50/70

Transmission:
Final 2.100
Max speed: 240 km/h
Max speed in up-right corner: 372 km/h

LSD 8/16/8

Suspension
0/-3
20.0/14.0
7/8
8/7
7/4
2.0/1.0
0.00/0.00

brakes 5/3

Racing Medium tyres

ABS 1

It's not perfect yet. I'll update the tune when any changes has been made to it.
This was good for a 1'26.2 on my second lap.

Last edited:
This 'car' really feels like you're trying to maneuver an aircraft carrier :ouch:

I'm still in the GTP_3D3Racing Lounge for the next 45min...

one thing i do know alot about is NASCAR, got 2nd cousins that race/d in it but thats another story, basically the car feels like crap cuz you guys are using racing mediums and NASCAR uses one of the most Softest compounds of tires in any series, good ole goodyear tires put in a ton of work over the last few decades to get the tires good so these cars can grip on the tracks they race at. They don't use the same exact compound at every track they race at either, goodyear has slight differences for each track but the tire compound is still considered soft and I don't believe its ever equaivlant to racing mediums.

one thing i do know alot about is NASCAR, got 2nd cousins that race/d in it but thats another story, basically the car feels like crap cuz you guys are using racing mediums and NASCAR uses one of the most Softest compounds of tires in any series, good ole goodyear tires put in a ton of work over the last few decades to get the tires good so these cars can grip on the tracks they race at. They don't use the same exact compound at every track they race at either, goodyear has slight differences for each track but the tire compound is still considered soft and I don't believe its ever equaivlant to racing mediums.

Another consideration is that the grip levels afforded by "soft" tires on GT are not possible in the real world, and mediums might in fact be a better representation of reality.

Mediums were my version of being nice when I made the event to begin with, my first tests were on Racing Hards.

These are, after all, 3,500 lb. cars with more than 800 hp. They shouldn't be easy to drive. ;)

Hi guys,

I hate to do it but I'm going to have to pull it of the NA race. There is a possibility of having to stay later than normal at work that would cause me to get home close to the start of the race. Seeing as the field is so full and this week is by car selection I would rather just give up my slot than keep someone else out of the race and miss it myself. Therefore the #88 Earnhardt Jr. 2011 AMP Energy is open. Sorry I can't make it.

Hi guys,

I hate to do it but I'm going to have to pull it of the NA race. There is a possibility of having to stay later than normal at work that would cause me to get home close to the start of the race. Seeing as the field is so full and this week is by car selection I would rather just give up my slot than keep someone else out of the race and miss it myself. Therefore the #88 Earnhardt Jr. 2011 AMP Energy is open. Sorry I can't make it.

OK, if it turns out you can make it and the NA grid isn't full feel free to drop in with any car that hasn't been reserved.

It was good to see Blair, Dale, Wes and Kelvin poppin' in the GTP_3D3Racing lounge. 👍
This way we could moan all together a bit about the car. :lol: :P

Feel free to join me in the GTP_3D3Racing lounge for some NASCAR practice.

Edit:

Is your first gear a typo Pekka?
Could it be that it should be 4.255?

Edit 2:
I think it's your 'how to'
You say "First move Final gear to 3.200 and after that"

This should be 3.000, right?

Thanks for pointing that our. Yes , 3.000 is what was used to get those gears.
Sorry about the confusion.

MadMax

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to withdraw from both 3D3 events this week. A perfect storm of "real life" stuff came together at one time. In addition, I will be travelling without access to a PS3 starting Saturday for the rest of December so will miss the next 3 events as well. I'm very much looking forward to joining you guys on track again in January.

I will have access to GTPlanet and will pitch in to help organize and coordinate events, but I won't be able to do any driving or hosting for a while.

:cheers:

PS> On the upside the "Camry #83 Brian Vickers NASCAR '10 Red Bull" car is now available in both race slots.

Last edited:
I'll drive the '11 Dale Jr. if it's not taken. I think it's still available. Now I'm just waiting for my friend request to be approved and hopefully I can get on the track with you guys!!!

I'll drive the '11 Dale Jr. if it's not taken. I think it's still available. Now I'm just waiting for my friend request to be approved and hopefully I can get on the track with you guys!!!

You are now on the list. 👍

Cool "bumping" into you last night, Chuk, glad you decided to join us this week! 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice practice session tonight! Thanks guys!

Al

That was fun :D 👍
After a bit of settling in, and a couple of 5 lap races, I was able to hit a 1'26.9xx - in an un-broken in car (865 hp).
I'm really looking forward to todays practice session to see how it works out with the car at full power.

I am a bit confused about races breaking in engines I must admit.
We ran two 5 lap races in total, and when I was done I checked the car's specs, and it was still showing 0.0 km, and the HP was still 865.

I know in practices (free laps / quali) mileage does not accumulate, but I know in races it does.
Does it require a lap count higher than 5 to count mileage in races?
I'm going to set todays lobby to 6 :sly:

I've seen that too, Marc, and have just settled on using Bspec to break in the car, given online's seemingly random nature for adding miles to the car.

And I tried Pekka's gears last night, and was just maxing out the 4th gear RPM's before the brake point on the main straight, so I think I'll adjust them a little to account for drafting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back