3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha me too, been super busy getting ready for 4 races this weekend, on overload, still need to get out and grab a usb flash drive and then work on some quali registry laps. any idea what kind of lap it will take to be solid in division 2? if i get there i'll be happy with myself.

We don't reveal the times, in public or in private.

Please give it an appropriate effort, the amount of time you think you could commit in a normal week of WRS competition.

For most participants, that's probably 4-8 hours, some might be closer to 2 hours, and the insane ones might run a lot more.

haha me too, been super busy getting ready for 4 races this weekend, on overload, still need to get out and grab a usb flash drive and then work on some quali registry laps. any idea what kind of lap it will take to be solid in division 2? if i get there i'll be happy with myself.

A fast one :sly:

All I can advise is to just keep pushing and don't stop practising until you feel you are at your absolute limit. I spent about 12-18 hours total on my runs, and it worked out pretty sweet, didn't think I would make D2. Remember that you have as much as time as you need to do this qualifier 👍

EDK
We don't reveal the times, in public or in private.

Please give it an appropriate effort, the amount of time you think you could commit in a normal week of WRS competition.

For most participants, that's probably 4-8 hours, some might be closer to 2 hours, and the insane ones might run a lot more.

awesome, thanks for the info. 👍 If thats the case i'll probably put in 2 weeks worth of practice and hope for the best.

EDIT: thanks for the helpful tip Biffy, it'll probably take me 2 weeks to get an all out run in one lap clean and hope I'm good. Luckily I have friends that all they do is run nurb so I'll compare myself to them a lil and see what happens.

If you're in both races again, you could have the '11 for the EU, but the '11 is taken by Joe for the NA race already. I'll assume both races with the '10 unless you let me know different.

We'd welcome any tunes you provide, Kev's was a starting place from the offline WRS event, and all we had time to publish at the moment. 👍
The 2010 will work then, sign me up for both tentatively. I can let you know tomorrow if my schedule is clear for certain for the EU race, but since we're reserving cars and all...:dopey:

No problem on the tune, just being an offline tune pretty much means it won't be great online 9 times out of 10 imho.
I'll have one made before the night is through.👍
(I'll make sure it's not to loose for everyone too) :)

dsgerbc
I that for NASCARs or any car?
I've found that the ride height is, in fact after all, exactly backwards, so yes.
I'm running it on all my SuperGT's and everything now. It's essentially the equivalent of what would be "minimum" ride height if it weren't backwards, but with the added benefit of never bottoming out, meaning it's actually better then anything you "should" be able to get.

WRP001
KK.... advanced warning... this NASCAR event may be the last (or next to last) race you can use a referral to get in the 3D3 races. The registry is open now, so maybe after our Super GT challenge race you can work on your WRS qualifier? I'm really curious to see what division you and dragon will qualify in.

Yeah Im gonna start my WRS programme next week since I've got the Inter-league battle and Nurb in the night to practice for...I dont think I'll qualify high since I fall into the rare group of people that hate Nurb.....Never really seemed to gel with the track properly...I'll try my best + more..

Tim, Marc, Lucas - Was it confirmed the grid order worked out properly?

I will have to check the replay later to be certain... I'm at work now and will check after I get home.

I've found that the ride height is, in fact after all, exactly backwards, so yes.
Exactly backwards in what sense? In the sense of effects of lowering the center of gravity in GT5's formulas when you out +?? into ride height? I ask because I think aerodynamic effects of ride-height were "correct" when I tested them (increasing top speed @max positive setting) awhile back.

In the 3D3 lunge testing a NASCAR now if anyone wants to join, got another 45 minutes or so for now.

I will have to check the replay later to be certain... I'm at work now and will check after I get home.
Thanks.

Exactly backwards in what sense? In the sense of effects of lowering the center of gravity in GT5's formulas when you out +?? into ride height? I ask because I think aerodynamic effects of ride-height were "correct" when I tested them (increasing top speed @max positive setting) awhile back.
I'm not sure what you mean. Lower cars should have higher top speeds, because less air gets underneath them, which puts "lift" on the car, essentially meaning the faster the car goes, the more it has to literally pick it's dead weight off the ground to go any faster.

I'm not sure what you mean. Lower cars should have higher top speeds, because less air gets underneath them, which puts "lift" on the car, essentially meaning the faster the car goes, the more it has to literally pick it's dead weight off the ground to go any faster.
I haven't thought about it carefully in ages. I think what I have in mind is more applicable to F1, where often conditions are such that further lowering turns airflow underneath the car from laminar to turbulent and increases the drag.

We've removed the bit about everyone using the same tune in the NASCAR event post. Tune however you like. :) I left the link to Kevin's offline WRS tune, and will add links to other tunes that people share.

Also tried to make it a little easier to tell which cars are still available.

Nice to see the grids getting huge so quickly! 👍

We've removed the bit about everyone using the same tune in the NASCAR event post. Tune however you like. :) I left the link to Kevin's offline WRS tune, and will add links to other tunes that people share.

Also tried to make it a little easier to tell which cars are still available.

Nice to see the grids getting huge so quickly! 👍
Thank goodness for that. :) 99% because each little bit of tuning comes down to what each driver likes.

Racing softs I imagine is what we'll end up using btw.
Max Aero 50/70
Transmission simply set top speed to the minimum, then lower then final gear until your top speed is at least 215MPH.

LSD: 9/30/20

+15/+15
15.8/12.8
7/7
7/7
5/5

2.0/1.0
0.00/0.00

BB 4/5

That's my user friendly tune, I'll be running something a bit crazier that I'll post when I get it figured out.

That's my user friendly tune, I'll be running something a bit crazier that I'll post when I get it figured out.

Thanks for posting the starter tune Dominic 👍
Looking forward to the Crazy variation :D

Tim, Marc, Lucas - Was it confirmed the grid order worked out properly?

Yes, the grids were exactly as they should have been. Every driver was placed on the grid in order of their single hot lap time ignoring penalties.

Our single stint quali has always worked if nobody leaves the track.

In Gamesta's series everyone is allowed to pit and exit pits for 30 minutes and that *almost* always works. The only time I can confirm it being messed up is when someone left the track to the lobby and came back and ran a hot lap.

I'd like to do this "observed" hot lap quali format again next time we have a technical track with a race car. We can figure out how to condense the procedure to 20 minutes by making the groups large enough (thus few enough groups) so that we finish in the designated time.

If we ever have a small grid (6-8) then we can always choose to do the hotlap version as a last minute adjustment. I guess I just like the knuckle biting aspect of it. It would be really neat to go last as both times yesterday I was in the first group.

Yes, the grids were exactly as they should have been. Every driver was placed on the grid in order of their single hot lap time ignoring penalties.

Our single stint quali has always worked if nobody leaves the track.

In Gamesta's series everyone is allowed to pit and exit pits for 30 minutes and that *almost* always works. The only time I can confirm it being messed up is when someone left the track to the lobby and came back and ran a hot lap.

I'd like to do this "observed" hot lap quali format again next time we have a technical track with a race car. We can figure out how to condense the procedure to 20 minutes by making the groups large enough (thus few enough groups) so that we finish in the designated time.

If we ever have a small grid (6-8) then we can always choose to do the hotlap version as a last minute adjustment. I guess I just like the knuckle biting aspect of it. It would be really neat to go last as both times yesterday I was in the first group.

I only had a few warmup laps last night (before entering the lobby), but I still found the relatively long wait between warmup laps and qualifying to be a disadvantage.

I know that's part of the point, make the best drivers prove their worth by going last. But on the other hand, it rewards people who did not submit for the WRS by letting them get their lap in closer to the warmup period.

I know you're going to work to tighten up the timing next time this happens, just some food for thought.

EDK
I only had a few warmup laps last night (before entering the lobby), but I still found the relatively long wait between warmup laps and qualifying to be a disadvantage.

I know that's part of the point, make the best drivers prove their worth by going last. But on the other hand, it rewards people who did not submit for the WRS by letting them get their lap in closer to the warmup period.

I know you're going to work to tighten up the timing next time this happens, just some food for thought.

I found it (the delay) to be a bit of a problem too, but in reverse.
Being in the first group of qualifiers, I had roughly a 35 minute break before hitting the track again for the warmup lap.

Being the first time we have tried this particular type of qualifier, there's a few wrinkles to iron out, and we've already got some ideas as to how to improve it - both for time, and efficiency.

I had a ton of fun going for it in an "observed" single lap, as did most drivers from what I remember.
As Pekka said in practice "Do it or die trying - no holding back" 👍
It worked in the EU Quali :lol:

This event got me promoted to D3 with a 7-tenth win(over Graviton I think) I have to do this.:D

Actually, I didn't expect to do the results for NA, and I haven't seen the replay yet, so I guessed in a couple of spots where I couldn't remember from the race :sly:

OK thanks. No worries, I was just wondering.

Al

EDK

Agreed. The idea was to "reward" the faster drivers in WRS for their better effort and keep the suspense, but in hindsight I see where you are coming from. Maybe next time we have N spots and the fastest driver gets to pick their quali position first then the next fastest. So you earn the option to choose. I would have chosen last and I will next time. I don't always perform well under pressure, but it heightens the fun factor for me. Talk to me again on Saturday though as I might have changed my mind :sly:

Part of the fun of helping to run 3D3 Racing is we get to try out crazy ideas and you guys actually play along.

I found it (the delay) to be a bit of a problem too, but in reverse.
Being in the first group of qualifiers, I had roughly a 35 minute break before hitting the track again for the warmup lap.

Being the first time we have tried this particular type of qualifier, there's a few wrinkles to iron out, and we've already got some ideas as to how to improve it - both for time, and efficiency.

I had a ton of fun going for it in an "observed" single lap, as did most drivers from what I remember.
As Pekka said in practice "Do it or die trying - no holding back" 👍
It worked in the EU Quali :lol:

You definitely took Pekka's words to heart... you "did it" in EU and "died trying" in NA. :lol:

We all agree 35 minutes is too long and the target should be 15-20 minutes for quali. We also agree we won't do it every week. Special event for special circumstances.

In F1 and Nascar they do quali the day before... that would be another option to try. That's also the idea of super-quali that I described earlier in the thread. We could pre-arrange short 15 min quali time slots from monday night - tuesday night including right after both practice sessions and hold a pre-quali session for drivers. Then race night we just do a 15 minute warmup and start the race timer at 15 past the hour.

Part of the fun of helping to run 3D3 Racing is we get to try out crazy ideas and you guys actually play along.

👍 Exactly.
The race will always be.... a race.
But changing up the Quali procedure each week (or close enough) allows for an interesting change of pace.

You definitely took Pekka's words to heart... you "did it" in EU and "died trying" in NA. :lol:

Yes I did ;)
I tend to listen when he talks about driving in general (for better or for worse :D)

Last edited:
You mean you watch when he types. :sly: Get a mic Pekka! :lol:

A mic would be somewhat useless I imagine.
The Stig cannot talk. :P

He does however use his exhaust to blow smoke signals that read "Good Luck Back there".

You guys do realize exactly how many warm up laps I did last night before qualifying, right?

I don't think it's a divisional thing either, I think it's more of a pushing to hard thing. If I hard really pushed on my qualifying lap I may have ran a 21 flat, sure. I may also have ran a dirty 23 that wound up a 25.

Internet upgrade coming on the 6th! :)
So as long as my modem isn't fried (which I think it is) I'll be faster then ever. In internet speeds, that is.:P

Anybody know any reason for someone's upload speed to crap out while download speeds are faster then ever? (up from .9mbps to 1.1)

Anybody know any reason for someone's upload speed to crap out while download speeds are faster then ever? (up from .9mbps to 1.1)
Android phone uploading contents of your mailbox to a third-party server using your wifi? ;)

Android phone uploading contents of your mailbox to a third-party server using your wifi? ;)

I don't have any phones uploading, but I'm not sure what you're getting at, there's a wink at the end... Does that mean you're kidding? Or...?

Yeah, as many problems as I have with that, that's certainly not my issue. The only way my network is being used by a cellphone is if one of my neighbors decided to hack the slowest internet on the street and use it for their phone.And they would have had to hack a WEP key, which would mean they'd be smart enough to hack somebody else's internet. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back