FITT Race Car Tuner Challenge

Which two tracks should we use? (choose two)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
=================
ACSR421 - Honda S2000 LM Race Car
Time: 02:29.989
DC: 0.5
=================
CSLACR (PSN: GTP_CSL) - Spoon S2000 Race Car '00
Time: 02:30.003
DC: 1.0
=================
CyKosis1973 - Opera Performance S2000
Time: 02:29.766
=================
C-ZETA (PSN: V16T91) - Opera Performance S2000
Time: 02:29.992
=================
Jackthalad (PSN: CHRYSTALBUDS) - Honda Integra RM - hosted by XDesperado67
Time: 02:31.508
=================
Johnnypenso - Honda S2000 LM Race Car
Time: 02:28.838
=================
krenkme - BMW 320i Touring Car '03
Time: 02:31.648
=================
MotorCtyHamilton - Acura NSX RM '91
Time: 02:30.213
=================
OTS_NEWDRIVER2 - Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car
Time: 02:33.179
=================
Onboy123 - Honda Integra Type R Touring Car
Time: 02:28.890
=================
praiano63 - Clio Renault Sport Trophy Race Car
Time: 02:30.301
=================
Ridox2JZGTE (PSN: GTP_Orido) - Honda Civic EK '97 RM
Time: 02:39.748
DC: 0.0
=================
robrabbitman (PSN: bloodsugarrush) - Acura NSX RM '91
Time: 02:31.304
=================
ugabugaz - Honda S2000 LM Race Car
Time: 02:29.578
=================
VTiRoj (PSN: RoJJieE) - Honda Integra RM
Time: 02:30.373
=================
XDesperado67 - Toyota Altezza Touring Car
Time: 02:28.451
=================

Last edited:
Testing complete for 625pp at Monza. Results post updated. Many thanks to the event sponsor and the tuners for welcoming a noob into the fray. Have thoroughly enjoyed my 1st testing experience. Looking forward to seeing how the results pan out.

500pp Spa results.

Tested using DS3 (pad,rather than stick) and Auto Trans.Cars run for 10 laps each.

ugabugaz - Honda S2000 LM Race Car
Time - 2:27:826
Drivers choice - Driveable (only because it was slower than the other two)
Slower times than the other S2000 LM Racecar's, but drove just as well. Not sure why slower, maybe not suited to Auto transmission?

ugabugaz - Pagani Zonda LM Race Car
Time - 1:41:917
Drivers choice - Holy crap
Now that was a battle. Spent most of the laps battling drift. Difficult to get the power down. Competitive time however. Not for me though.

Interesting..For the S200 I didn't spend much time trying to optimize it power level wise. I think if I tweaked the aero and ballast a bit more I could have squeezed a faster lap time out of it. I drive Auto so I don't think it was the transmission.

Now the Pagani. YUSS! Obligatory holy crap rating achieved. Anyway, I actually dialed in some safety understeeer - I guess I should have gone further, but the car felt fine to me. Guess my love for looseness overshadowed the car's mass market appeal :drool:

Seriously thinking about testing 625PP Class...

500pp Spa results.

Ridox2JZGTE (PSN: GTP_Orido) - Lexas IS-F RM
Time - 1:43:416
Drivers choice - Holy crap
8 gears, decent brakes(despite lighting the fronts wheels up like a christmas tree). Think that's about it to be honest. Not a tune for me.

:( I should have wrote on the tune that with high BB, the car needs to be driven with threshold and trail braking so it won't understeer and be competitive. I have no issues tuning and testing it with no ABS and then with ABS too ( I do still threshold and trail brake all the time as well blipping the throttle on every downshift ) Anyway, still great time there, thanks :D

Seriously thinking about testing 625PP Class...

Think you should if you've got the time. Some great cars there. Found my lap times across the division were a lot closer than at Spa.

:( I should have wrote on the tune that with high BB, the car needs to be driven with threshold and trail braking so it won't understeer and be competitive. I have no issues tuning and testing it with no ABS and then with ABS too ( I do still threshold and trail brake all the time as well blipping the throttle on every downshift ) Anyway, still great time there, thanks :D

Just like your Civic really, affected by my driving style more than anything.

Think with Ronald's results that Johnny just slipped by me into 1st overall in the 500PP class.:drool:

Good stuff and turning into a great race.:cheers:

Thanks for the usual great job of testing Ron.👍👍

I didn't mean to disrupt the status quo. Sorry.

I know that with a few of the cars, like Krenkmes' and Praianos', that it was purely my driving, or lack of, that was the reason the car didn't perform. I'm thinking of running some of them over again today.

I know that with a few of the cars, like Krenkmes' and Praianos', that it was purely my driving, or lack of, that was the reason the car didn't perform. I'm thinking of running some of them over again today.
Hey you did great, the S2Ks are just a touch faster though unfortunately. As I've said before I got used to getting passed then left behind by Johnny during our online sessions in ACSRs test and tune lobbies. I was hoping it was more the Ol'Wallbanger's lack of skill, which to a point it was, but the better weight distribution and 6 gears, gives the S2Ks the edge.:drool: I'm actually thrilled to see my "T300" even making a fight out of it.:D Means I got the tune more right than wrong on it.:lol::crazy:

Its not really fair to all the tuners entered in the contest if you double down on your efforts on selected cars and not others. Each car should receive an equal effort so if you want to put some more time into some cars its only fair that you put that same extra time into all the cars. I think as well, its part of the tuning process to create a car that is widely usable by a range of drivers and that it can be driven with some pace as soon as possible, without having to put extra effort into the testing.

Its not really fair to all the tuners entered in the contest if you double down on your efforts on selected cars and not others. Each car should receive an equal effort so if you want to put some more time into some cars its only fair that you put that same extra time into all the cars. I think as well, its part of the tuning process to create a car that is widely usable by a range of drivers and that it can be driven with some pace as soon as possible, without having to put extra effort into the testing.

Johnnyp. - you may be drawing an awefully thick line in the rules for something that is meant to be fun. If a tester feels like their driving was off during a few cars, they can certainly go back and give them another effort. I ran ugabugas car the other night and as the last car of the night at 1:30 am, it wasn't my best driving. To be fair to him, I re-ran his tune first the next time I had some PS3 time and drove laps that I would be proud to submit. It doesn't sound like Ronald is looking to run a friend's car for an hour until he hits that one magic lap. Besides, if someone did try to do that, how would we ever police it? We don't require video proof of laps - and if we did, our tester list would significantly drop. A little bit of this still needs to be on the honor system.

I agree with both of you. Go figure. :D

There is a fair point, that many, many times, and very very often, when you drive cars around a track for a while, take a break and then return, when you return, things will click that didn't previously.
But as a tester of many things, I have to admit I feel 100% certain at times cars need a do-over, and I've always given it to any car I felt needed/deserved it, whether for a shootout or anything else.

I agree with both of you. Go figure. :D

There is a fair point, that many, many times, and very very often, when you drive cars around a track for a while, take a break and then return, when you return, things will click that didn't previously.
But as a tester of many things, I have to admit I feel 100% certain at times cars need a do-over, and I've always given it to any car I felt needed/deserved it, whether for a shootout or anything else.
+1
Agree with CSL on this. Many don't have the time to fully test all entries twice so an easy to drive car will tend to fair better. That being said at times you know that you've failed to give some cars your best for whatever reason and need to retest those cars.

I gave Johhny's car three additional laps because I couldn't piece together a clean lap to save my life and I knew it wasn't the tune. Kid talking in the background, wife ranting to a friend about something and somehow I kept crashing into things.

That's fine, I just thought I would throw that out there. I am the opposite extreme myself. I tested each car for the exact same number of laps regardless. If I get to the point where I'm tired and feel like I'm not giving it my all I just stop and go at it another time. I have taken certain cars out for a second drive to see what I could do with them, but only for my own self interest, I never submitted my new times.

No offense intended, I guess we all have to do what we think is best:tup:👍

Part of the reason I want to retest is that I know my reflexes were off on some sessions. Honestly, this might be due to the medicine I'm on. Its supposed to help me focus better, and most of the time it does. But sometimes I just feel frazeled and hyper and I can't focus my thoughts.

I do not recommend Aspergers as a way of life. 👍

Starting testing of 625PP Class. If I don't have you friended, add "ugabugaz_euro". Thanks. It's my secondary, empty account.

Part of the reason I want to retest is that I know my reflexes were off on some sessions. Honestly, this might be due to the medicine I'm on. Its supposed to help me focus better, and most of the time it does. But sometimes I just feel frazeled and hyper and I can't focus my thoughts.

I do not recommend Aspergers as a way of life. 👍

Good luck with the testing Ronald. 👍👍

I think the Results to date needs to be updated. The spreadsheet shows Des in the lead in terms of lap time and points so far.

Official 625PP Testing Post.

Going in order. Times you see now aren't representative of the final times I may achieve with the car. Once I get every car done, I'll go back to each one to see if I can go faster. Once I put FINAL on the bottom of my post, All results are done.

DS3 (7) - Automatic

1) ACSR421's LM Spec II - 1:38.803

New assessment. I still feel the front is far too twitchy. I don't know how you've made this car have such a hyperactive front end, I've never driven anything like it. Other than that, I like the car. Brakes are a little strong for my liking. Couldn't get a better time but in my reassessment I came close to the above posted time so that's good. I have to say it's really hard to spin out in this, even with the twitchy front. I actually tried to see just how early I could get on the power before the car would snap on me and I didn't manage to spin so, well done.

Outstanding.

2) CSL's Vette - 1:41.334

My first impression of this car wasn't good. Exiting parabolica immediately revealed slow turn in. Coming into the first chicane the car felt even worse. Why doesn't this thing turn I thought to myself. The rest of the lap was much of the same. Lazy front, truck like turn in, and decent exit grip. No other car has frustrated me quite like this one on this track. I had to come up with some creative ways to take certain corners cause my usual style just proved impossible. I was expecting so much from this car yet it's let me down in a spectacular fashion. I've had plenty of experience with the C5-R and I've never had it feel this bad. On a whim I decided to see how the car felt with a completely stock suspension. Unfortunately, even stock the car didn't have enough front push for my liking but keeping that in mind within two laps I was in the 40's. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, this car just didn't gel with me. Perhaps because I'm using a DS3, I don't know. Sorry

Holy Crap

3) C-Zeta - 1:39.294 (A 38 is possible, but I can't get it, at least not today)

The best of the best. As close to perfect as a tune can be I think. Words cannot express how much I love the way you've made this Citroen drive. This is exactly how I want all cars to feel. Wonderful turn in, tons of grip mid corner and corner exit that defaults oh so very slightly to oversteer. No understeer to be found anywhere in this tune, THANK YOU! Even the brakes I found to be weak at first, I worked around and incorporated them into my style. Slightly stronger brake balance would be even better, but that's basically my only nit-pick from this tune. For me, This tune is right up there with Vett'e's ZR1 RM Tune in my Top 5.

Outstanding - Can I go higher? I want to.

4) 'Ren's RX-7 - 1:39.883

On first impression the car felt great. Just the right amount of slip everywhere, no major faults and good power delivery. This car really felt like my Zonda, except for one small difference. Coming out of Ascari, the back end of this car just wouldn't stay planted. No matter how delicate I was, it would always swing out to the point of ruining many good laps. After looking at the tune, I've found what I think is the fault - Aero. Ren, I think you've gone just over the edge on how close F and R aero can be before a car starts to have the rear slide uncontrollably. A few more clicks on Rear Aero, or a few less clicks on Front, and this car would be perfect. Taking all this into account...

Outstanding - Borderline Drivable

5) Johnnypenso's Viper - 1:39.297 -NEW

My last encounter with a Viper was Onboy's bore-me-to-death-mobile so I was naturally expecting the same from this car. Unfortunately, My expectations were met, though thankfully not entirely. This car feels very safe to drive in every possible way. That's not to say it's boring to drive, thankfully it isn't. I do have a problem with this car and that is understeer. Coming out of all speed corners, there is understeer present. Even worse, hitting the throttle results in nothing but understeer so I really had to make sure I was perfectly on point in every corner. Parabolica was particularly bad for me, and I do think there's at least .3 seconds to be had there.

Drivable - Borderline Outstanding

6) krenkme's M3 - 1:40.744

Funny little car this M3. It's really hard to describe how I feel about it. It's even worse than Johnny's Viper on the understeering front, but there's just something about the way this M3 handles that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. The best way to put it I guess, is that it's a driver instructor's race car. Very little room for recovery if you get entry into a corner wrong. Get it right however, and the car sort of glides over the race track. It will still understeer, but you'll like it understeering :drool:. I really don't know why I like this car...but I do. Take out the safety understeer, while keeping the wonderful on track feeling, and you'll have the perfect tune for this car.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Gearing seems to have rather large gaps. I think the gearbox could use a bit of work.

Drivable

7) MCH's Spec II - 1:38.997

Really liked what you did with this car Hami. Driving it was a pleasure. Suspension was excellent, Gearbox was excellent and even the brakes were excellent. Brakes took me by surprise since I was expecting what I've previously called "Hami Brakes" to be present in this tune as well. Thank you for finally making a car that doesn't snap when you let go of the brake pedal. It's a shame I couldn't make this car go faster, cause it really seems like it should be faster than the time it posted. I think your choice of Aero is the reason why this car is slower than ACSR421's attempt. The two Lesmo corners is where your car lost a ton of ground compared to ACSR421's car. I spend a fair amount of time with this car so basically the time you see up there is most likely what will remain. Yes, I will go back to it, but I seriously doubt I'll go faster - I put in as much as I could.

Outstanding

8) Onboy's Mullet Mobile 1:40.285 -NEW

Actually very similar to krenkme's car, with a bit more push. Funny thing is one of my "hot-laps" in this car was EXACTLY the same as I did in krenkme's M3 (1:40.744). I was a bit speechless when I crossed the finish line on that one. Now as far as this car goes, it has a good amount of grip in most corners, transmits power well and is overall a nice package to drive. It does have a few problems though one of which is something that's plagued most cars in this shootout - Understeer. Parabolica was particularly tough in this car because it would just want to push wide into the sand. Another area of concern are the brakes. This car features what I affectionately call "Hami Brakes". Unfortunately because of this I had quite a lot of trouble at Lesmos because braking before the corner, and then releasing the brake pedal would result in the car's rear being upset. A few clicks lower on both F and R would fix the problem (Or a tweak on the LSD). I don't like high BB for the most part.

9) Riddox's Lexus - 1:40.693

What a weird car this is. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but it is what it is. First up the brakes, the most controversial part of the car. Actually I didn't mind them one bit, and actually enjoyed smoking the front under heavy braking. Call me weird but it felt a bit more, realistic? Anyway, Like the brakes :). Next up the transmission - Set up very well and the 8th gear actually surprised me (Thought I'd top out in 7th on straightaway). Felt really..luxurious having 8 gears to play with, even if I ran Auto. The car also put down its power pretty well as well. I'm afraid the positives end here. I don't know what was wrong with the car, whether it was the LSD or Suspension but something felt really off with the way the car stuck to the track. It just felt rough, felt like I had to seriously slam the car into corners to make it work. The smoothness other cars have on this track, this car lacks. I would suggest a look at the dampers or perhaps raising the car a bit. Sorry, I can only give this car...

Also, Brake point at least for me at the first chicane was probably the 175M mark.
Replay saved if you want me to upload it.

Driveable

10) XDesperado67's BMW - 1:40.760

It's difficult to begin this review since I just don't know where to start. This car is just...I can't find any redeeming features. Going around the long bend after the first chicane the car seems to wobble with one of the back wheels scrubbing. Exiting the second chicane the inside rear wheel is boiling red spinning away any hope of a quick exit. Entering Lesmos shows one of the worst parts of this tune - Horrible corner exit understeer. I hadn't lost a car in Lesmos up until this M3. Going into Ascari and I begin to really despise this car. Corner exit at full throttle is all but impossible. Finally, We have parabolica - a corner many cars in this shootout have struggled with. Regrettably this car is all but impossible in parabolica if driven through my traditional line. The way I took the corner was very late braking, praying for the car's rear to skid and then full throttle the instant I sensed the back moving. Red tires and smoke galore but the quickest way through. There's more time to be found in this car, perhaps 0.3 more but I just can't do it. I just don't have the patience for it. Sorry.

Holy Crap.

11) ugabugaz - 1:39.575

(I need to apply some tweaks to the tune for it to fully please me, hence the rating :) )

FINAL

Last edited:
@MCH it's a little thing, but I'm sure that Cy would appreciate seeing his test results show up under his name in the 500PP spreadsheet instead of under CSL's...:odd:

@Johnny the spreadsheet is dynamic, adjusting the results with each new field entered. The result of this is that partial results skew the standings until that tester submits their data for the entire field. It can be a real challenge for an event host to try and keep a current leaders post updated to match what may be a rapidly changing spreadsheet.:drool:

I think the Results to date needs to be updated. The spreadsheet shows Des in the lead in terms of lap time and points so far.

I think everything is updated. If testers have driven more cars that I have missed, please let me know. Testing is to end on Sunday.

@MCH it's a little thing, but I'm sure that Cy would appreciate seeing his test results show up under his name in the 500PP spreadsheet instead of under CSL's...:odd:

@Johnny the spreadsheet is dynamic, adjusting the results with each new field entered. The result of this is that partial results skew the standings until that tester submits their data for the entire field. It can be a real challenge for an event host to try and keep a current leaders post updated to match what may be a rapidly changing spreadsheet.:drool:

Fixed Cys results.

And yes, partial tester results can skew things based on driver's skill.

Ran a lap inline with the way I ran others. ACSR421's time updated. Pretty sure it will go down again, probably to the first time once I start hotlapping all the cars. :lol:

Official 625PP Testing Post.

5) Johnnypenso's Viper - 1:39.628

My last encounter with a Viper was Onboy's bore-me-to-death-mobile so I was naturally expecting the same from this car. Unfortunately, My expectations were met, though thankfully not entirely. This car feels very safe to drive in every possible way. That's not to say it's boring to drive, thankfully it isn't. I do have a problem with this car and that is understeer. Coming out of all speed corners, there is understeer present. Even worse, hitting the throttle results in nothing but understeer so I really had to make sure I was perfectly on point in every corner. Parabolica was particularly bad for me, and I do think there's at least .3 seconds to be had there.

On the fence with Rating....

Ahhh such is the curse of all of my tunes, they just aren't very responsive with the DS3. On the other hand, fast but safe is kind of my tuning philosophy, I tune cars the way I would like to race them for 30 or 40 laps, not quite as sharp as they could be, but also hard to get into trouble with. Kind of funny too that in Parabolica, with a the wheel at least, you just put your foot down and go, the car has no trouble holding the line, it's something I paid particular attention tune when tuning the car. Thanks for the feedback:tup:👍

Time for your car Hami - Done for today (Most likely). Will resume with Onboy tomorrow.

Edit: Ren's time is wrong in the spreadsheet. It's suppose to be 1:39.883

Still have
ugabugaz
C-ZETA (PSN: V16T91)
Slacking on their friend requests.

Might have
VTiRoj (PSN: RoJJieE)
on my GTP account, can't check right now though since I'm trying to test.

Test post updated. Should have finished initial round, but started too late; Johnny and myself to go. :dunce:

Ugabugaz, stunning time with AT, there. Interesting that the car fit you given the relative similarity in our diff settings. I do think the car could be maximised better (I am, after all, not so much a tuner as a tweaker), but wanted to run it out there - liked the car too much, and it gave me some interesting ways to find out things about my driving/tuning styles; so I'm very much appreciating the feedback from all the testers (yes, "constructive" :ouch: tells me a lot too) 👍

The RX-7 TC is also surprisingly effective at this PP, as it didn't really appear to have the grunt on paper; the FD body is slippery like an eel, though. Shame the Audi was a bit slow, it's a very fun drive too (for a porker). I think the Ford with its premium build-parts-to-PP advantage and the Citroën (gearbox, engine, and low profile) were probably the fastest platforms available.

Might have
VTiRoj (PSN: RoJJieE)
on my GTP account, can't check right now though since I'm trying to test.

I'm sure I sent a friend request when I added the testers a while ago. Maybe PSN took a dump. Sent another to GTP_CSL.

Back