PURE | Flyin' Miata Super Cup Season 5 | Rich wins in Spain!

• Thread starter Litchi
  • 389 comments
Is there some sort of refueling reference chart. Jeez.

Great race guys but looking forward to a wider track and a third pit crew.

Have a great weekend guys.

The most appropriate video for a Madrid win:

Not sure what happened to Spurgy. He seemed to be close to my pace, but then he went from 5 seconds off to 8, and then left.
Is there some sort of refueling reference chart. Jeez.
Based on my calculations for this race, I was consuming 5 liters a lap. If I include the pace lap, then my math told me 95. It turned out to be too much, but who knows whether I would've run out had I been in the middle of the pack.

I DC'd Outlaw :(
That stinks. I hope it wasn't because I was hosting. Not something I wanted to do, but the usual people that are capable of doing so don't race this series.

Anyways, administrative stuff:

RACE RESULTS
el1jcn.jpg

FAST LAPS
ipci7n.jpg

FAST LAP (Spurgy Only, DC Lap 10)
2wokpop.jpg

welcome to the club... I thought you had a 6? :)
Nope. Subaru Legacy. However, when my mom needed a new car, she pretty much let me choose.

Went with the Mazda 3. Does most things better than my car except the seats belong in the trash.

I rented a Legacy when I was out in Silicon Valley for a week... understeered a bit and the Manual-Automatic was lethargic but it was pretty fun tearing through the redwoods. Probably the best rental I've played with. Bastards tried to give me a Ford Edge... I returned it the next day when they had a better stock to choose from. :D

The 3 is fun though, I did an Auto-X competition Mazda put on the year they released the 6 and then again when they released the 3... I could agree with the seat comment, they're hard as bricks. Wasn't a fan of the position either... IIRC. The 6s was a much better car for cone killing though.

I'll stop hijacking now. ;)

Last edited:
I rented a Legacy when I was out in Silicon Valley for a week... understeered a bit and the Manual-Automatic was lethargic but it was pretty fun tearing through the redwoods. Probably the best rental I've played with. Bastards tried to give me a Ford Edge... I returned it the next day when they had a better stock to choose from. :D
I tore my car through PCH and Highway 199 last year. Best fun I've had driving. Would've been even better with a Miata.

Too bad I don't fit in one. If there's one thing a video game can't replicate, it's seating position. Otherwise, my Miata drive would be rendered like this:

simpsons_64.jpg

C'mon, Kaz! Gives us an option to customize our driver's body shape! :lol:

:lol: 👍

Although I do have a friend who's 6'8" and was able to fit with the roof on (and an s2000, and owns a first gen Insight)... he's all leg though. I've seen him lean a seat and fit in a Honda Del Sol.

:lol: 👍

Although I do have a friend who's 6'8" and was able to fit with the roof on (and an s2000, and owns a first gen Insight)... he's all leg though. I've seen him lean a seat and fit in a Honda Del Sol.
If I had to, I could drive a Miata. It would like driving a go-kart, very awkward and impossible to manage the pedals.

Back on subject, did a few Monza laps. Obviously, Q has no relevance here other than the point for pole, but target time's below the 2 minute mark. As for fuel, looks like 80 liters over 10 laps. Actual mileage may vary.

And I was wondering what happened to the Miata races....

Sign me up as full time!!!

I just borowed my ps3 to a friend. He asked so nicely, I was just obligated :)
Anyway, maybe I'll get it back on saturday aftenoon, we'll see...

PhaedrusSocrate
I just borowed my ps3 to a friend. He asked so nicely, I was just obligated :)
Anyway, maybe I'll get it back on saturday aftenoon, we'll see...

Your PS3, we hardly knew thee. :lol:

Btw, I see the thread name is out of date. Outlaw makes Mincemeat of Madrid. :sly:

Thread name will be updated as soon as you'll receive the interview questions ;)
Questions answered. 👍

I will add a nugget of information that I've learned after Madrid. Oshawa-Joe provided me a setup which felt quite nice, a tad better than mine but I had tested it in free run. I ran it again Saturday morning in race conditions, and after a few laps, I thought I used the wrong tune. What was just right became an understeering dog with little grip, while my tune also had less bite but had some oversteer to compensate. Lesson learned? Practice in race conditions garners better results.

header700.png

interviews.png

Rich Castro

Hi Rich. So how do you feel after this victory?

Relief. Spa was another one of those races where my finish was not indicative of how I performed. While I haven't raced Madrid that much during my GT5 career, my pace there has always been a notch higher than my usual standard. I'll admit that after 3 or 4 laps, my biggest concern was having a disconnection. It's a shame about Spurgy's issues; I hoped he would've found that extra pace to keep me honest.​

What brought you to PURE and what keeps you coming back?

Many of the PURE members were competitors I faced in prior series, so I knew they were of high caliber in both pace and sportsmanship. I've been fortunate to meet even more racers of the same mold, and for the most part, the PURE races have been challenging but enjoyable.​

There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

For the most part, I stick to the threads relating to the series I race in. On occasion, I post in the NASCAR/F1 forums and once GT Academy is up and running, I may look around there as well.​

Do you remember your first post on gtplanet? Could you find it?

I've had almost 3,000 posts so that's a tall order. I want to say it was around GT Academy 2011 or even earlier.​

How did you come up with the name "outlaw4rc"?

outlaw initially came from either the character in the Twisted Metal video game series or an anime. Thought of changing it but I find that it's an okay fit for my personality (a somewhat non-conformist). 4 is my favorite number for no good reason and rc is actually my initials since outlaw4 is too common for use. It's also an acronym for racing.​

Do you play other racing game like i-Racing or GT-R or anything else?

Currently, I don't. However, my video game history is full of (mostly arcade) racing games: RC Pro Am (NES), Excitebike (NES), Super Hang Out (Genesis), Super Monaco GP (Genesis), Test Drive series, Need for Speed series, a few TOCA games, and even limited action in Nascar Racing 2003. I had been a controller user until GT5 came out, but the transition wasn't too bad.​

We know that you're not far from the "alien's skills". Do you have any hope in GT Academy this year?

It's tough to say. Looks like GTA will be using the GT6 physics engine, which means a learning curve for everyone, moreso if they utilize new tracks. I always tell people that my strength is not setting the fastest time, but hitting close to that time on a consistent basis, so a trial time format doesn't suit me. If I do hit that magic lap, let's just say I'll be packing heavy for an eventual overseas trip. Last year, I raced against many of those that went to the Finals and I finished near or at the top every time.​

What's your driving setup for GT5?

At one point, my Logitech Driving Force Pro was mounted on a coffee table held down by ankle weights. Now, the same wheel is attached to a desk... most of the time. I've literally had it hanging in the air during a race -- I wouldn't recommend driving a car like that. An upgrade will come once I have the funds and room to buy something a lot nicer.​

Anything else to say?

For all the great cars I've driven in the virtual world, the fastest vehicle I took onto the road in real life was a numb and dull Toyota Avalon. One of these days, I'll have to fix that sad fact.​

≡PURE

Available to watch Q for a few hours tonight, as usual.

I'll go as well if anyone's around. Not looking good so far.

||unrealanthony||

1. 2:04.892 X
2. 2:00.009 X

RETRY

1. 1:59.923 <---
2. DNF

Last edited:
||RedPartyhat||

1. 2:04.166 X
2. 2:01.542 X

RETRY

1. 2:01.156 X
2. 2:00.429 <---

||RFLX_Niop||

1. 2:00.950 <---
2. 2:01.173 X

||GTP_ealirendur||

1. 2:01.146 X
2. DNF

RETRY

1. 2:00.539 <---
2. DNF

Last edited:
Going to practice in about an hour. If I don't make Q deadline, please put me at the back ,where I belong :) .

Going to practice in about an hour. If I don't make Q deadline, please put me at the back ,where I belong :) .

Same for me here, kids are still with me, there mum was supposed to pick them up 2 hours ago.... hope I can make it...

Latest Posts

Back