Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

Yes.

I would have announced as much two weeks ago if I had any real opportunity and seeing as I have precisely that amount of time now: Currently enjoying a (hot) vacation but I'll be back in about two weeks or so.

As sore as I am from all of the exercise (who the hell exercises on vacation? me, apparently.) I would have been left behind anyway. :lol:

Welcome back, Slash. I guess I make a nominee now. Hehehe.
Hehehe or not, having someone who isn't a good enough member to remain one recognised as member of the week is somewhat unproductive.

This week it's a symbolic MOTW.

This week it's everyone. You're all member of the week.

Yay! I'm special!

Also, congrats to both recent members of the week, I hadn't read this thread in a while because T-T-12 abandoned it, but the two most recent interviews were pretty brilliant.

[Highlander]There can be only one[/Highlander]

Time to wait for the next proper inductee.

This week it's a symbolic MOTW.

This week it's everyone. You're all member of the week.

data-yes-gif.gif

Dang, everyone got to be member of the week before I did.

Oh yes, it has returned. Did you really think you'd never hear from me again? Well, maybe you should stop being wrong and welcome this week's newest inductee to the Member of the Week madhouse, Furinkazen!

1. First and foremost, you're officially the Member of the Week so what were your thoughts going into this and how does it feel to be recognized amidst the hundreds of thousands of other members here?

Very surprising. Normally if a mod sends you a PM you aren't going to be around long enough to send a response :lol: , happy and like I said, somewhat surprised, :cheers:

2. What brought you to GTPlanet and what keeps you coming back?

I've always been a Gran Turismo fan. GT4 was played to death so much on my PS2 that it gave up reading discs :lol: - and GTP seemed a good place for the latest news and also offered a discussion with a mature lot of gamers who actually knew what they were on about.

3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

I have a wide range of interests here, so I end up being kind of here, there, and everywhere on the forums. (Explains a proportion of the post count, making that clear :P)

4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?

For me, I was just always a car maniac was I was younger, i'd buy loads of hot wheels, watch TV, I was a car addict in many ways. But you know what, I don't actually remember that much in all honesty about the actual game and getting in the whole GT series.

What I do recall is buying GT3 for £3 in a shop, and never playing it when I got a PS3 around 2008, because I had bought GT4 and just drove the wheels off that. Incidentally, I re added GT3 and GT4 Prologue in my PS2 collection last month.

5. How did you come up with the name "Furinkazen"?

I've always had a fascination with the far east, sparked at first by my love of Japanese Godzilla films and also the Dynasty and Samurai warriors games, hack and slash historical-based epics set in China and Japan. Japan's always been my favourite, and one warlord, Takeda Shingen (who was a favourite character of mine in-game) had a banner with a Chinese saying and war motto "Fu Rin Ka Zan" - which when translated means Wind, Forest, Fire, Mountain", or more accurately, "as swift as wind, as orderly as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain." My name I use was actually because I got the translation wrong, hence Furinkazen instead of Furinkazan.

6. Controversial question time: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport or both?

I've never actually owned an Xbox, so my Forza experience has been somewhat limited. However, from what I have experienced I do prefer GT. Forza has superior damage for one, and the car customization is a very deep feature, and physics wise is pretty good, but none for matches GT in a way that it all comes together. Graphically GT is gorgeous, when i'm racing down a soggy Mulsanne straight in an LMP car on GT, I feel part of the race, whereas the Forza graphics I don't know... they just seem not realistic enough, almost washed out a tad. Like I said, if I had an Xbox and played Forza for a week I could make a more accurate comparison, but GT wins out for me.

7. Because it's finally occurred to me that the question above doesn't allow enough freedom, do you play any other racing games that you perhaps enjoy more than GT or FM?

Definitely. On PC TOCA2 Touring Cars was my first racing game, which took hours of my time away on ym old massive windows 98 desktop PC. When you added Grand Prix 3 and NASCAR Racing 2003, you had a seriously addictive line up. On consoles I loved Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition Remix, it had the feeling of an open world cruiser, races were fast and exciting, great variety of cars and bikes, even a race editor and absolutely incredible customization. As of now, GT is my main focus but NASCAR The Game Inside Line is an amusing diversion every so often, and so is WRC 3.

8. What would the first chapter in your autobiography be called?

Slow & Steady... Didn't Win The Race.

9. On a scale from 1 to 10, ten being very manly and 1 being very girly, where do you fall?

Oh that's personal, hardly gonna answer 1 am I? :lol: I say a 7.5.

10. If you could be any other GTPlanet-user for a day, who would you be?

I really don't have a clue, and I've been reeling off names and looking at the online users list for 5 minutes thinking about this! :lol: Can I say... You T12? Because you get to annoy people, leave sarcastic messages, ban them and then take a vacation for your efforts without any consequence?

Please don't hurt me... :P

11. If you could live in any video game which game would it be and why?

Warriors Orochi 3. Google it. Take greatest warriors from the times of the Samurai and China, throw in demon, gods, and serpents from another world and the opportunity to have the power to defeat thousands of evil snake men with swords, spears, parasol's, cannonball-firing spears and exploding footballs? (Not making this up either...)

12. If you could create your own motorsport series what would it entail?

Difficult to say. I would probably have something with not too much technology in, driving aids would be banned... perhaps something similar to old style Sierra Cossie touring cars - little tyres, a fat load of power, and a real fight for control. Then we'd see you could actually drive, as opposed to F1 cars with a ton of downforce and a million onboard computers and sensors.

13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.

Blackburn is boring. And raining. No change there then. Small, always wanting "City" status for some reason, but we do have the football / soccer team Blackburn Rovers - 1 time Premier League Winners, and then along came the Venkys chicken farmers... Incidentally, Blackburn's also a short bus ride (30 mins) away from Preston, which is where BTCC team Dynojet and Frank Wrathall come from.

14. Let's say GTPlanet was another persons brainchild—and there's really no way to know this for certain—but could you see the community being as prominent?

Difficult to say. Perhaps so, but under Jordan's helm this has grown into something spectacular, largest GT forum on the web, and with a massive core of users. Keep up the good work guys :cheers:

15. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?

Gaming of course :P , and i've started a little career in Pool - think a more simple version of Snooker. I play in a local team on a league on Sunday afternoons and Monday nights, and that starts again soon. Alongside University that is going to be taking up a fair chunk of my time.

16. Are you driving anything special at the moment?

I don't actually drive :lol: - i've never had a driving test either. Everything I do is very local based so driving a car is not really on my priority list... for now...

17. What's your favourite video game, currently?

Enjoying Rfactor on PC a lot. Racing in a 55 car 4 class event at Le Mans down the Mulsanne is something that can't be replicated on consoles for size or scale.

18. What songs have been on repeat for the past few days?

You can call me a rock and roller with metal tendencies. Seriously. Lordi's most recent album To Beast Or Not To Beast and also Deadache have been on a bit lately. But you can't forget rockers Motley Crue in all this, or how Motorhead's "The Game" has sneaked into my head last couple days...

19. Why did you choose that avatar, and why is it not a monkey? (Don't ask me, I had nothing to do with this. :lol: )

1. Monkeys are old fashioned.
2. Porsche's new 2014 LMP car looks awesome - do I have to justify that??

20. Games, how do you like them?

a) Pre-Order, I want them on day one.
b) Sealed at first price drop.
c) Used.

If it is a major upcoming release like GT6 - Pre Order. For most it's a combination of B and C.

21. With the PS4 coming in the holiday season this year, is it the right time to consider moving up to the next generation?

GT6 is going to keep me occupied with PS3. I only got a PS3 with the release of GT5, and give the PS4 a year or two and prices will drop and the game line up will be much wider.

22. Manual or automatic?

For GT5 - Manual gears, mapped to my DS3 along with RA functions so I can have full control over the car.

23. Desert island disks - what 3 albums would you take to a desert island?

Saints of Los Angeles (Motley Crue)
Deadache (Lordi)
Dr Feelgood (Motley Crue)

24. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house, how crazy would you rate yourself?

A 9 on a good day. An 11 on a bad day. Mental asylums would have nothing on me, i'd be making the Joker look sane! :mischievous:

25. Who is your favorite race driver and why?

I always root for the underdog in whatever sport, it's always nice to see someone unexpected take it to the big boys. I can't really name one in particular though.

26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?

I do not remember in all honesty. Post History doesn't go 25,800 back :lol: :ouch:

27. How many of your controllers have died because of heavy physical abuse whilst playing a PS3 game?

Both are still alive :D - I never get too stressed during a game. Games are meant to be fun, if you keep stressing something's wrong. One of my PS3 pads has developed a slightly sticky triangle and square button in recent weeks though.

28. Have you ever accessed the website during an unusual time and/or place?

Downstairs in front of Hotel San Francesco, Loreto, Italy during a college trip this year. Right on the Adriatic, on a good day you can see the other side of europe!

29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: Years, months, weeks, days, hours?

Five days I think, when I went on a College tip to france over a year and a half ago.

30. Who (in your own opinion) is the most inspiring person / people here on GTPlanet?

Really difficult to name someone in particular, but all the people who make worthwhile contributions to the site and help this place deserve a shout out. Might have a sore throat by end of it though :lol:

31. Is your body ready?

If it's a sprint for less than 10 seconds yes. Or if it is walking up hills. 5ft 11, 60 kgs, and a thin body of pure... something...

32. Now it's time for the "Daniel Special": If you could cross a hippo with any other animal - what will the animal be, what will it be called, and why? (Bonus points for creativity! And it can't be another hippo because that's incest)

I'm bored.... So i'll cross a Hamster with a Bulldog and have a door guard that can amputate a burglars leg and still be good to have a cuddle with. (soft I know, maybe I am now a 6.5 instead of 7 :P)

33. What's the funniest thing you can remember from all of your time being a member here?

One stands out. Moderators deleted the thread in awe of it's funniness. A guy came on, a new member, and judged the Volvo C30 R Design modelled in GT5 to be incorrect as he claimed no RHD version existed. I stumbled on the thread, and told him to check his game. He said no, and turned increasingly trollish saying it was a conspiracy. I got bored (after telling him it was RHD due to me driving it in a touring car championship online) and posted to him a couple pictures showing a RHD one. Still in denial, I finished off by showing him a Fifth Gear road test of it. I was then accused of photoshopping every pixel and frame of that video. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

34. Have you ever participated in any of the racing series' found here?

Yes, a few, including the BST V8 Challenge run by my good friends JB and Gedi :)

35. Have you ever considered developing your own racing series, and if you have where can we find it?

Well yeah, I run a lot of them in the GTP Racing Series section! Furi's Race Leagues (Or FRL for short) have been going for a couple years. I've done a bit of everything - GT cars, classic cars, NASCAR, Truck Racing, and touring cars. I'd rank my finest achievements as the TOCA series, a touring car championship that is in it's ninth and final season on GT5 - perhaps longest running one on GTP. Also my classic car tour for 60's Le Mans gentleman racers - the World Sportscar Championship is going, got one more season of that to come - though with 2 hours of the Nordschleife sunday night, and 3 hours of Le Mans next week, something tougher than slippers may be required :scared:

36. Anything else you'd like to say?

I'll continue on from above and say that over the next two months, I am winding down my GTP series involvement, with University and a Computer Networking taking obvious priority.

However, my FRL group will be back on GT6, and I will be re organising my entire series structure with one central topic with common rules, information, and a register of active drivers. Keep an eye out, I will be back in the big time on GT6 and hope to race a number of you ;)

Bonus Question These two additional inclusions are the brainchild of a staff member and must be answered as if you were a contestant on Jeopardy!, i.e. "What is a Computer?"

B1: Jeffrey Donovan stars in this USA original series currently airing it's final season.

B2: She is my darling wife. (If you can't answer this... go away. :P )

B1: What is american TV? :odd: :dopey:

B2: Mrs Famine.

(exit, pursued by Mr Famine and T12...)

Nice interview Furi! 👍 And a bulldog/hamster combo is definitely something I want in my life.

Making the Joker look sane? That's adorable. :P

Was surprised. Great stuff, and thanks to be recognised by the GTP Community - you rock guys :gtpflag:

Back