GTP's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car Segment: Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 249 comments

Would you be interested in such a segment?

• Total voters
Yes it would be members of GTP. WRS leaders, photomode contest winners, mods, long term members, people like that.

Cool idea, the lap would have to be done online in the same format as Top Gear to add the pressure of getting your one lap right, I'm sure there will be many hilarious cock ups! It would be even funnier if you could add a headset sound recording to the replay although I doubt many would be AUP friendly!

Of course, I'm hoping there is something similar to the Chevy Lacatti they use in Top Gear now, if not it wouldn't be hard to find an average mid-sized family sedan.
If anything we can let people drive around in a Honda CR-Z, or a Volvo C30

I have contacted Jordan about this to see what he thinks. My thought would be to upload the lap on YouTube and then it could be posted with the interview.

Hmmm...I know it won't be right away and we'll be working towards it, but we should expand this idea beyond just the Reasonably Priced Car Segment. Of course not right away, but I think the general idea is to head towards GTP Gear, GTP's version of Top Gear.

Each post would review a car and some driving/tuning tips, do the Stig Lap Challenge, and the reasonably priced car segment. We'll need to find experts for the review part and a really good driver to represent GTP Stig, but obviously, the general audience can't know Stig's true identity. Then we can have about 5-10 "stars" within the same level duking it out on the Resonably Car segment. That way, we can have alot of participation and every member will have a chance to show off their skills. :scared:

Obviously this will come in stages, but I can already smell success and have lots of viewers in this project if it's managed well.

We've tried things like that in the past, they just never really took off. But hey who knows if we get people on board that can do it, then why not?

I would love to see some fan made videos out of GT5 that are a spinoff of Top Gear car reviews on their track. Anyone with some good editing skills could utilize the replay cameras, and photomode to put something together. This might be something I want to take a shot at actually!

Yes that would be cool.

Am I right in thinking though that there is a "special event" in GT5 where you race a reasonably priced car, I'd imagine if so there will be the Stigs best lap along with Clarkson and co?

Would be interesting to see how people compete with the likes of the Stig and rewarding to beat Clarkson because as much as I love his shows he is the smuggest guy in the world.

It would be different then what's in GT5, I'm talking about a forum community feature, not a game feature. Basically there would be an interview of some amount of questions that would be posted, then a YouTube video of the lap would be put in with the post of the interview and shared with the community. We could have a nomination process or whatever.

This would not need to be like Top Gear, so we could use any average car. Probably a hatchback with 4 cylinders, FWD, under $X, and under 120hp.

It would be different then what's in GT5, I'm talking about a forum community feature, not a game feature. Basically there would be an interview of some amount of questions that would be posted, then a YouTube video of the lap would be put in with the post of the interview and shared with the community. We could have a nomination process or whatever.

This would not need to be like Top Gear, so we could use any average car. Probably a hatchback with 4 cylinders, FWD, under $X, and under 120hp.

I think this is a brilliant idea. And I also feel if you're ambitious enough you could probably even get some gaming industry stars to even participate. Cause unlike Top Gear, we can give more people a chance! Also, you can even honor people who have done great achievements (within the community or in real life.)

But that's just my .02:tup:

Well there is always room to expand! I know we have some insiders here on GTP that would be good to interview!!

Basically there would be an interview of some amount of questions that would be posted, then a YouTube video of the lap would be put in with the post of the interview and shared with the community. We could have a nomination process or whatever.

Would be a bit of a strange interview perhaps putting it out of the TopGear context and within GT5.
What cars do you currently drive? "Well think I've got approaching a 1000 as we speak including a non-existent Red Bull X1 and a non-existent Citroën GT racecar and a lot of eighties and nineties Japanese humdrum cars just for the sake of it, did I mention my Schwimmwagen? It's great fun using it in my swimming pool".

Great idea though, if the Kia ( or any other previous cars used by TopGear ) aren't in I suggest you make a selection of possible cars to be used and have a poll.
Including perhaps fixing colour and spec options ( maybe a certain type of wheel needs to be used to distinguish it as a GT-Planet car ) we all have to abide to make it look like we each use exactly the same car ( despite having to buy one ourselves ).

The interview process wouldn't be all that bad. You could ask a mix of in game questions as well as how things play out in the real world. You'd tailor the interview based on the person too. A WRS member's questions would be different then a photomoder.

The interview process wouldn't be all that bad. You could ask a mix of in game questions as well as how things play out in the real world. You'd tailor the interview based on the person too. A WRS member's questions would be different then a photomoder.

Exactly, what I was I was thinking! If you need any help with questions/interviews let me know. I think this could turn into something good.

I'm waiting for the blessing from Jordan first before moving ahead, he might have some already planned out for something like this. But if I get the OK, I'll be ready to rock and roll with ideas. I just wish they'd release a car list for GT5.

I know, was only joking, you also shouldn't perhaps have to copy each TopGear element as it mainly served as inspiration.

Back