GTP Cool Wall : VW Scirocco

Scirocco

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boiltheocean

Premium
Samoa
Samoa
.: VW Scirocco Suggested by Tommi2000 :.

vw_scirocco_side_2.jpg

Spec
Offical Scirocco Site with Specs for every model, too big to paste into thread

I voted for Cool. I think that it looks fantastic, but it loses sub zero due to the grill at the front. I love the Big wheels and nice roof line though. That gives it a cool vote from me. Don't care about specs, Top Gear don't tend to, so i'm using there method of choosing cool from uncool.:lol:

I hate it. A lot.

But it's a cool car. Because it'll be bought by those arbiters of cool - the fashion victims. Like the TT before it (also nothing more than a widebody Golf) and the New Beetle (also a Golf inna frock), and the BINI, FIAT 500 and all these other hateful attempts at bringing the past back to life (okay, the 500 isn't hateful) so these kids of the 80s can drive around in a car with the same nameplate their hippy parents drove about it.

Cool-ish, for now. Once its image has faded (give it a couple of years) people will start realising it's just a Golf that hasn't risen in the oven properly.

I find it hard to vote it either way. It's much better looking than the Golf, without the TT's pretense that it's something that it isn't, ie a sportscar. But at the end of the day, it's not much more than a better looking 3-door Golf. Not that there's anying wrong with the Golf, it's just too dull and mundane to be cool.

Sub zero. I don't really understand some of the purist opinions on here, but oh well. I think this thing looks awesome. What's so bad about Golfs anyway?

Sub zero. I don't really understand some of the purist opinions on here, but oh well. I think this thing looks awesome. What's so bad about Golfs anyway?

There's nothing wrong with Golf's at all. It's that, in Europe at least, they're just generic everyday transport, they're the motoring equivalent of sliced white bread.

There's nothing wrong with Golf's at all. It's that, in Europe at least, they're just generic everyday transport, they're the motoring equivalent of sliced white bread.

It's not just that they're generic, it's that they have an air of generic class. VWs are unutterably upper-middle class in the UK, and buying one suggests that either you are upper-middle class, or aspire to be. And that's just not very interesting. It's like normal sliced bread, only with a nice gold label and a 10% markup.

The 911 is sliced bread too, and its picture is under the definition for the term "midlife crisis". But people still freaking love it, and it's not a bad sports car. I just don't think your point is very strong.

The 911 is sliced bread too, and its picture is under the definition for the term "midlife crisis". But people still freaking love it, and it's not a bad sports car. I just don't think your point is very strong.

To be fair, he wasn't saying it was a bad car, just that it wasn't a particularly interesting or cool one. Which is an entirely valid point. 'Cool' and 'Good' are too very different things.

If every 5th car you saw on the road was a Bugatti Veyron and it's price, performance and looks were considered average, and they were driven by average people going about their average daily lives, you wouldn't think it was anything other than an average car would you?

And if it's average then it can't really be cool can it?

Here is a much better picture I think.

I think the scirocco is way about average the cracker.

I believe my contract with VW stipulates that I am legally required to vote Sub-Zero.

I only agree with the comments of it being too Golfy because this is just a hatchback. I voted cool, because it looks so amazingly slick and remained very true to the concept car, but held back from Sub Zero only because it really should have been a fastback, which would have saved it some weight and distanced it some more from the Golf.

However, if the Scirocco is too close to the ever-so-common Golf sibling in the UK, why did VW decide to scratch the new Scirocco from the NA lineup (where VWs are less rampant), in stating its similitude to the Golf?

I don't get why you guys are going on about how it looks so much like a golf, it should be the other way round :lol:

Seriously 08 Golf
lrg_article_10776-img_0.jpg

Against 08 Scirocco
2008volkswagenscirocco.09vwsciroccof34500.img.jpg

Now fast forward a year
09 Golf
2009-Volkswagen-Golf.jpg

Against 09 Scirocco
2009_vw_scirocco_bridge.jpg

Golf style clearly stealing from Scirocco style.

However, if the Scirocco is too close to the ever-so-common Golf sibling in the UK, why did VW decide to scratch the new Scirocco from the NA lineup (where VWs are less rampant), in stating its similitude to the Golf?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't VW a bit of a bargain-friendly brand in the US? I mean our Golf page has the slogan 'Setting a new standard', and yours says something about 'entry level prices and top value'.

Your 'basic' 2.5 Rabbit 3dr is $16,000, which Google tells me is about £10,000. For a similarly equipped Golf over here with a much smaller petrol engine (1.6), you're looking at about £14,000. So a £4,000 ($6,500) difference for a basic Golf. Then there's the GTI - the US list price is $23,000, and the UK is £22,000. You'd pay $35,000 for our GTI if you walked into a dealer over here, in other words.

My guess is that most of this cost-cutting is coming from making them in Mexico, and as it's not set up for building the Scirocco, if VW sold them in the US they'd all be imported Wolfsburg models with a much higher sticker price.

It's not that big of a difference price wise between the faster-spec Golfs and the Scirocco over here, but I bet if they sent them your way from Europe that price gap would grow considerably stupidly. Unless, of course, they started building them in Mexico alongside the Rabbit. Just a theory.

I don't get why you guys are going on about how it looks so much like a golf, it should be the other way round :lol:

Seriously 08 Golf
lrg_article_10776-img_0.jpg

Against 08 Scirocco
2008volkswagenscirocco.09vwsciroccof34500.img.jpg

Now fast forward a year
09 Golf
2009-Volkswagen-Golf.jpg

Against 09 Scirocco
2009_vw_scirocco_bridge.jpg

Golf style clearly stealing from Scirocco style.

Style is style. Engineering-wise, though, the Golf came first. The Scirocco is a bit like Golf 5.5, and, for that matter, I don't know that the Golf VI is much different from the Golf V.

Consider that you can also get nearly the same car in the GTi or R Golfs, and it becomes kind of redundant. Yes, I know they're making a Scirocco R, too. but then, what's stopping you from getting an Audi TT?

Last edited:
What's wrong with it sharing the same engineering? Isn't that a good thing, given how well-engineered the Golf is?

What we're essentially talking about is a car with all the benefits of the Golf (quality, the badge, a nice interior) with some added qualities (great looks, much better driving characteristics if you believe the magazines, slightly quicker) and removing the drawbacks (booooooorrrringness).

While I personally am not a fan of VW's,this car does sort of catch my eye.Specs are not that bad,it's not badly priced,looks rather sporty.

I give it a COOL.

1. The GTI
  2. The A3

That's my guess. I believe VW's "official" position on the issue was that it would be too expensive to get the car here, and with the market in the tank, they wouldn't be able to sell enough to justify the costs, much less the (likely) small sales figures.

We'll see. I'd argue that they're missing out on an important niche, but seeing as how VW likes to ignore their hardcore fans, they just want to get the MKVI GTI here ASAP and let that sell like hotcakes.

Subzero, probably the only VW I would be happy to own even if it broke down constantly. I don't think I have seen a car that looks so cool in this price category since they revealed the 2000 Mustang.

and removing the drawbacks (booooooorrrringness).

Hold on a sec, what's boring about a GTI?

And if you're just talking about the Golf, I imagine the Golf is far more interesting than anything else in the segment, save possible the Mazda 3.

Latest Posts

Back