• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: Hyundai Genesis 4.6 suggested by EA11R :.

hyundai-genesis-sedan-pictures.jpg

Specs:
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/genesis/specs/specs.aspx

Last edited:
I voted 'uncool' not because of the Hyundai badge but without delving into detail I just don't think the car "is there yet".

Saw a couple of the Hyundai coupe's in Moscow over the weekend that looked really good, but this is a bland 4 door saloon... un-cool.

Doesn't this thing have like 375 horsepower or something crazy like that?

EDIT: Just checked the nifty specs link. I think the car is beautiful, looks great on the outside... but I'm uncertain about it still. Something about it is just really, really fake. I saw one at the 2009 Denver Auto Show. The interior had a convincing enough appearance, but also felt as if the panels would easily shake loose and rattle. Solid definitely didn't come to mind. I haven't felt the acceleration or even felt/heard the idle of the engine either. Not too familiar with Hyundai's engines. Apparently they have 3 V8s in production right now. Some people complain the V6 versions with 290hp seem underpowered.

I voted cool. Nice to see Hyundai step up their game and drop one of heck of a nuke. But of course, I'm interested in seeing how well the Genesis holds its own in the American market. $30k is a chunk of change, especially in these times. I know Hyundai isn't exactly in view of these more superficial countries like America, and while this might be a bold statement it seems like a risky move. Hyundai is shooting for 55,000 sales - 35,000 sales in Korea and 20,000 overseas. I've read reviews and I think the general consensus is that it's well recieved so far. There were some complaints that with the V8 package (I think the MSRP is around $37k for the 375hp part of the Genesis), dealers were asking for more than $40k and that is when I think people look at the the situation again... $40k for a Hyundai? It's a cool car, don't think I'd have any interest in owning one though.

Last edited:
This might be the first non-terrible huge Hyundai saloon, but it doesn't make it cool. In fact this car is working very hard to try to get into the golf club car park, and that's never good. Uncool.

Cool. It's a decent saloon car that is real attempt to take on cars like BMW's, Audi's, Benz's, etc. It's not there yet, but it's going in the right direction. I like the car well enough too, it looks OK and drives nice.

Sorry. If we were talking GenCoupe, then undoubtedly Cool. Unfortunately...we're talking the big, wallowy sedan. Uncool

Seriously uncool. No matter how good value it is and how good a car it is, it's still a Hyundai, and therefore not cool in the slightest. You would still have to turn up in the company car park and tell people with BMWs and Mercedes you own a Hyundai.

I'd just like to jump in and cut through all this Hyundai-hate by pointing out that they have made a vaguely cool car before.

2005_Hyundai_Tiburon_ext_1.jpg

I mean that's the only one, but it's a start. Or it was until they facelifted it.

I'd just like to jump in and cut through all this Hyundai-hate by pointing out that they have made a vaguely cool car before.

2005_Hyundai_Tiburon_ext_1.jpg

I mean that's the only one, but it's a start. Or it was until they facelifted it.
What's wrong with this one?

hyundai-tiburon-2008-0.jpg

I think it looks good, it kind of has a hyper look to it. it's like a '99 Cougar had sex with an FTO. 👍

What's wrong with this one?

hyundai-tiburon-2008-0.jpg

I think it looks good, it kind of has a hyper look to it. it's like a '99 Cougar had sex with an FTO. 👍

On that note...what's wrong with THIS one?

hyundai-genesis-coupe-2010-793431.jpg

C'mon, RWD, spiritual Successor to the Silvia...

I voted seriously uncool because i'm a snooty, ignorant, stupid badge elitist. Who likes shiny marbles.

I voted seriously uncool because i'm a snooty, ignorant, stupid badge elitist. Who likes shiny marbles.

What's even remotely cool about a Hyundai?

This isn't a thread about how good the car may or may not be technically, or how well it's put together, or how clever it's electronics are or how luxurious it is inside. It's purely a vote on 'image'.

Hyundai doesn't have a cool image.

Of course you could have an un-cool manufacturer that pulls a wonder car out of the bag and that particular model is cool... eg; Renault... exceptionally uncool cars generally, but the R26R and Clio Sport are cool.

Hyundai? Hmmm.... their cars would have to be exceptionally good to overcome the negative baggage.

It just looks like a generic luxury car. Basically if they had cars in super markets this would be equal to the store brand.

Uncool

I voted "cool," But that's probably mostly just because it's a fairly different take on the full-size category. I personally doubt I would ever own one, although it does seem pretty well placed for a buyer who wants a full size and is willing to shell out a little extra over an American full size and get something more near-luxury.

It's not bad, a step in the right direction. If it were the coupe then it would be seriously cool.

Seriously uncool. No self respecting girl over 18 is going to put out for any guy who rolls up in a Hyundai.

I think your sarcastic comment would have come across with more moral authority if you hadn't been a bit of a badge elitist yourself in the Holden Monaro thread...

When i see one all i think of is Pontiac, and the crappy brand image they've created for themselves. So i have to vote uncool. It just doesn't wow me.

M

Seriously uncool,

First its a Hyundai, (which alone is enough to be pushing for entry into the seriously uncool section.)
then you get onto the styling which is a blatant ripoff of a big Mercedes (maybe with a bit of Lexus chucked in for luck). fakes are not cool.

I think your sarcastic comment would have come across with more moral authority if you hadn't been a bit of a badge elitist yourself in the Holden Monaro thread...

Touché, but i consider that a different situation. In the Monaro's case, we're talking about a company (Pontiac) that i consider to be as bland and indifferent as you can get among American car manufacturers. It's a rebadged car that loses value because of it. Which makes little sense to me.

My own car, for example, the RSX, doesn't lose respectability because it's badged as an Acura. It's still kind of lame for being a re-badge, but at least Acura is a great brand known for high quality cars.

In this case however, people equate the Hyundai badge to a lack of quality because of...nothing. Because of a stigma that was true maybe 20 years ago, but couldn't be further from the truth today. Hyundai has grown exponentially over the past few years and controls as much market share as many of the so-called "big" auto makers do. They're the world's fourth largest manufacturer. Hyundai has an excellent customer service record and their growth is a testament to their excellent marketing strategy and business process management. 👍

This car was named the 2009 car of the year for North America. That's pretty cool, considering it's a luxury sedan that costs tens of thousands less than the competition. Thankfully critics can get past an "image", especially one that has no basis anymore.

Check out how they're doing when nearly every other manufacturer is struggling and/or going through bankruptcy.

What's even remotely cool about a Hyundai?

This isn't a thread about how good the car may or may not be technically, or how well it's put together, or how clever it's electronics are or how luxurious it is inside. It's purely a vote on 'image'.

Hyundai doesn't have a cool image.

Customer service, one of the best warranties on the market, and affordability.

There have been lots of cars on the Cool Wall that are "civilian" cars. So i don't think it's fair to vote this car uncool because it doesn't look like a Veyron. You need to change the rationality behind your voting. Plus, it's actually quite beautiful anyway. Especially in person. But i guess you can vote on image if that's your approach. I just don't agree with it.

Hyundai doesn't need a cool "image". They are cool because they actually care about their customers and listen to their needs, then fulfill them exquisitely.

Bottom line, this is a good car especially for the price. And just because Hyundai made really crappy cars 20 years ago doesn't mean they haven't grown as a company. If you followed that logic you wouldn't consider any imported cars to be cool today. Remember the first Japanese compacts sold in the 1960/70s and what people thought of them?

The car looks better than all of its competitors and it hauls mega ass. And it's cheaper. Sub-zero.

In this instance they do. What with it being a Cool Wall and all.

Again if you vote based on image alone that's fine. I just don't agree with it because our Cool Wall isn't restricted to supercars. And i couldn't give a damn what Top Gear's cool wall is like.

Customer service, one of the best warranties on the market, and affordability.
Ooh baby. You know how to get my juices flowing!

Remember the first Japanese compacts sold in the 1960/70s and what people thought of them?
And those by and large weren't cool either.

I'm not saying its a bad car. I don't think anyone is. On the contrary, its a fantastic car.
Its also a Korean version of the Lexus LS, a car so banal and derivative and boring that it caused the whole brand to be seen as "Buicks with better build quality."

Again if you vote based on image alone that's fine.

It's a Cool wall...

I just don't agree with it because our Cool Wall isn't restricted to supercars.

I don't understand this sentence - or rather how the first part of it leads to the second part...

However, if it were restricted to supercars, everything would be uncool. Supercars are uncool.

And i couldn't give a damn what Top Gear's cool wall is like.

Cool stuff goes in "Cool". Uncool stuff goes in "Uncool". Radical concept, I know.

Back