GTP Cool Wall: Hyundai Genesis 4.6. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 92 comments

Genesis 4.6

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say sub-zero like everything else I've done, because of what this car is. If you changed the front, and sold it as a MB, people would buy it in a hurry, even with another $10,000 on the badge.

This is a car that paves the way for Hyundai, and, if it works, we might have kids saying "Wow, sweet Hyundai, *insert 2020 slang term for friend*". And while Hyundai is not cool now, I think it still warrants a cool.

Yeah. I'll stick to my shiny marbles comment.

Why? It didn't make any sense then (though it highlighted a disappointing willingness to insult those who don't agree with your opinion) and it makes even less now.

I'm sure the car in question does a whole bunch of things terribly well and has much about it to be lauded. This car could be the best car in the universe. But it doesn't matter. It's not a Good Wall. It's a Cool Wall and Hyundais are not cool. Yet.

What's wrong with this one?

hyundai-tiburon-2008-0.jpg

I think it looks good, it kind of has a hyper look to it. it's like a '99 Cougar had sex with an FTO. 👍

That :P The old one looked like a mini-575M, the new one... doesn't. In fact it looks like it's had its face pinned back by a backstreet plastic surgeon. Just personal preference I suppose, but I much prefer the old one.

Its also a Korean version of the Lexus LS, a car so banal and derivative and boring that it caused the whole brand to be seen as "Buicks with better build quality."

Sorry, but this is incorrect. It competes with GS. Equus competes with LS.

Seriously uncool. No self respecting girl over 18 is going to put out for any guy who rolls up in a Hyundai.

Oh yeah, 'cos chicks dig guys with Hondas... Shhyeeeeah right... seriously, I've never understood posts like that.. I mean - do you only know one girl? Your generalisation is based on what exactley? I can't believe you base your idea of cool on what a WOMAN thinks of a car!!! Plus you're inferring that girls with no self respect, under the age of 18 would put out if you rolled up in a Hyundai... It'd be legal in this country, and I know plenty of guys that would buy a Hyundai for that reason alone if that really were the case.

The Cadillac CTS "competes" with the BMW 3-series, too. Doesn't make any difference in that case either.

And by that logic, the Genesis is a Korean GS. Thanks.

Touché, but i consider that a different situation.

You think the Monaro is uncool because a Pontiac badge goes on it. Doesn't matter if the car is good or not, brand image is what matters.

People think the Genesis is uncool because a Hyundai badge goes on it. Doesn't matter if the car is good or not, brand image is what matters.

Just man up and admit it's the same thing.

M

I for one think that it being a Hyundai makes it cooler. Something like this is to be expected from Lexus or Acura or some top brand like that... but to see it randomly coming from wayyyyyy left field by some generally lesser known company speaks volumes. They're really throwing megatons of energy into it and trying to make it as convincingly luxurious and beautiful as they possibly can while still trying to maintain somewhere "in-the-ballpark" of economic prices.

Plus... it's a sleeper in my book and sleepers are always at least cool ;)
A hyundai sedan? With a v8? With 375hp? Stock??? Isn't all this just like... whoa? D:

Now, really what Hyundai needed is an Acura or Lexus, a secondary brand for the elite lines like the Genesis would've been considered as. Something to deduct the automatic-dismissal-badge.

I'm sorry, but the look of that front is something that would be better suited at the lawn bowls club, driven by a 70yr old dude. No matter if it's got nearly 400hp, it's as ugly as sin.

Uncool......borders seriously uncool in my eyes.

Hyundai has an excellent customer service record and their growth is a testament to their excellent marketing strategy and business process management. 👍

Customer service, one of the best warranties on the market, and affordability.

Hyundai doesn't need a cool "image". They are cool because they actually care about their customers and listen to their needs, then fulfill them exquisitely.

Hang on a minute. Mr Cunningham, great father, dependable business man, all round good guy. Arthur Fonzarelli, high school dropout, rides a motorbike - without a helmet - comes from a broken home, a former gang member and likes to hang around gents toilets. Which one was cool?

Bottom line, this is a good car especially for the price.

I You rest my case. ;)

This car was named the 2009 car of the year for North America. That's pretty cool

Yeah, and the 1989 Ford Thunderbird, '92 Ford Econoline, PT Cruiser, Chrysler Town & Country and Saturn Aura just ooooze coolness ;)

And by that logic, the Genesis is a Korean GS. Thanks.
*facepalm*
No. No it isn't.

The Genesis is LS-sized within an inch or so in nearly all dimensions including wheelbase, and is supposedly the same mushy-feeling piece of sponge that the LS always has been, even though the U.S. version is supposed to be more hard core than the international version. I'm pretty sure that the LS was even the benchmark the engineers had when designing the car (though that might have just been hack journalists saying that). The only real similarities with the GS is drivetrain options.

This is all trivial anyways, as the GS has never been a cool car either. So, regardless, the Genesis still isn't cool because it is still targeted at the type of people who would buy Lexuses (old, golf-playing retirees), except they can't afford them and don't what DeVilles (old, bowling retirees) or Town Cars (drug dealers/pimps). But woo man! Gotta love that warranty.

TheCracker
Yeah, and the 1989 Ford Thunderbird, '92 Ford Econoline, PT Cruiser, Chrysler Town & Country and Saturn Aura just ooooze coolness
Hey, I've been in one of those as it was nearly wrapped around a tree at 110. Crazy awesome.

Last edited:
Hyundai cars cars have never really appealed to me,just kind of bland,boring looking things.The Tiburon is the only Hyundai that kind of got my attention.The Genesis to me has 2 strikes against it right off the bat,it's ugly,and it's a Hyundai.Given the fact that they are trying a new market with V-8 power and RWD is the only thing that keeps this car out of the un-cool ranks.

I voted cool.

Why? It didn't make any sense then (though it highlighted a disappointing willingness to insult those who don't agree with your opinion) and it makes even less now.

I'm sure the car in question does a whole bunch of things terribly well and has much about it to be lauded. This car could be the best car in the universe. But it doesn't matter. It's not a Good Wall. It's a Cool Wall and Hyundais are not cool. Yet.

Ah relax it wasn't an insult, i'm just busting chops a bit. The point is that i'm not just focusing on image and the majority of people who think Hyundai is garbage have no basis for it.

Look, the "cool" hall of fame for our Cool Wall has 4 sedans, 5 sport coupes under $40,000 and 2 hot hatches. If i really want to apply image as my sole reason for voting, i wouldn't pick any of those as being all that cool. I could buy any of them.

So what's so hard to understand about me being a little ticked that people think this car, another sedan, stinks just because it's called a Hyundai?

You think the Monaro is uncool because a Pontiac badge goes on it. Doesn't matter if the car is good or not, brand image is what matters.

People think the Genesis is uncool because a Hyundai badge goes on it. Doesn't matter if the car is good or not, brand image is what matters.

Yes but my idea for Pontiac being bad has a basis. They're boring. They're from Chrysler.

M-Spec
Just man up and admit it's the same thing.

Wow, that's really bad.

Well, taking image out of the picture, this is an impressive car. Hyundai, I've heard is among the top three manufacturers when it comes to quality. It's a sleeper as well, which I also find very impressive. Put image BACK into the picture, and well, you get the idea.

If they were to restyle this (and I mean restyle it RIGHT) then this car would be on the border between "cool" and "sub zero".

Seeing as how it isn't, this car is nowhere near "cool" or "sub zero". This car is PUTRID!!!

I shall rate this car based on one of my personal rules:
Irons's Cool Wall Rulebook
RULE 1:
NEVER rate a car "Seriously Uncool" unless it looks worse than a:
'02 Toyota Prius
'06 Subaru Tribeca
'04 Nissan Primera
OR
'05 Nissan Cube

Quite frankly, I'd rather look at the four said cars than this Hyundai.

Last edited:
The situation is simple:

You have to explain what it is, and why its supposed to be "cool."

Seriously Uncool

One thing I learned in life is that people have some seriously wacky tastes. I think it's all the MTV.

This company has got no problem actually.. Only if they can improve their cars quality and make their cars design more attractive, I think it'll be no problem...

For this one, sorry I gave it seriously uncool... I don't like the front grill and the fact that the badge is a ''HYUNDAI''...

Damnit... I voted cool before I thought about it...

I actually think the i10 is cool (yes, yes, I'm slightly insane) and the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, as well, but even having been impressed by a drive in the Genesis sedan... and liking it very much... I... I just don't think it's cool.

Oh well... looks like the vote will reflect this, anyway.

-

The Genesis is LS or 7-series sized. It's got an impressive interior, an impressive engine and an impressive suspension (though it's a bit choppy over rough roads)... it handles decently... but...

The one BMW besides the X3 (which, dear Lord, started a trend, anyway...) that I really don't like is the 7-series. Why? Because it's a limo. It drives like a sporty limo, but it's a limo.

Seriously uncool. No self respecting girl over 18 non-hooker/gold digger is going to put out for any guy who rolls up in a Hyundai. limo.

You buy these cars to ride in the back of. And what else do you ride in the back of? A bus.

Now if it were a double decker bus, that'd be cool. But it probably isn't. It's a limo. And limos are just uncool.

The point is that i'm not just focusing on image and the majority of people who think Hyundai is garbage have no basis for it.

So what's so hard to understand about me being a little ticked that people think this car, another sedan, stinks just because it's called a Hyundai?

It doesn't matter if it's "garbage" or "stinks". How good it is has nothing to do with how Cool it is.

Take the Countach which lots of people are, for some reason, voting as Cool. It's a terrible car and the only thing it did well when it was new is now achievable in a £400 ninth-hand Vauxhall. Yet people go for Cool.

Or the Mini, which seems to be well on its way to Sub Zero. Awful, awful car - every journey is like being stuffed into a washing machine on psychospin and rolled down a hill. And yet... Sub Zero. Even better is that it's hopelessly outclassed in every department except nostalgia by the BMW MINI which is one of the best cars in its segment - and that's the only car yet put into Seriously Uncool!

A car being uncool doesn't make it crap. It makes it uncool.

Look, the "cool" hall of fame for our Cool Wall has 4 sedans, 5 sport coupes under $40,000 and 2 hot hatches. If i really want to apply image as my sole reason for voting, i wouldn't pick any of those as being all that cool. I could buy any of them.

If I can and, more importantly, would buy any car, it's immediately uncool. Because I can and would buy it.

I love sedans with mumbo under the bonnet.👍 They sound muscular with an exhaust on too, tops.:)

Maybe I'm just huge, but this car is just a full-size sedan. It's not a limo, the Equus is the LS/7-series limo.

hyundai-equus-side-wheelbase.jpg

On that topic, what is it with the trend for manufacturers to make the area above the rear wheel so giant that it makes the wheels look absolutely tiny?

On that topic, what is it with the trend for manufacturers to make the area above the rear wheel so giant that it makes the wheels look absolutely tiny?

More importantly, why do they do it on FWD cars making them appear as though they should really be RWD?

Back