GTP Cool Wall: Hyundai Genesis 4.6. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 92 comments

Genesis 4.6

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe I'm just huge, but this car is just a full-size sedan. It's not a limo, the Equus is the LS/7-series limo.

Just to be pedantic, at 195.9" long it's closer in length to the LS (198") then it is the GS (190").

The Genesis has the rear seat space of the regular S-Class and 7-series... though the extended 7 is still bigger inside. It' may be sold at or below 5-series prices, but it's a full-sized luxury sedan.

Take the Countach which lots of people are, for some reason, voting as Cool. It's a terrible car and the only thing it did well when it was new is now achievable in a £400 ninth-hand Vauxhall. Yet people go for Cool.

I voted it seriously uncool... the Miura was cool, the early Countach somewhat... the end-of-line Countach is the pinnacle of automotive kitsch. Seriously uncool. Am disappointed by the way that voting is turning out. :indiff:

Or the Mini, which seems to be well on its way to Sub Zero. Awful, awful car - every journey is like being stuffed into a washing machine on psychospin and rolled down a hill. And yet... Sub Zero. Even better is that it's hopelessly outclassed in every department except nostalgia by the BMW MINI which is one of the best cars in its segment - and that's the only car yet put into Seriously Uncool!

It's a MINI Clubman. It's the practical MINI... with the rear-end from hell. Seriously, seriously uncool. Like you said... it may be a good car, but coolness does not depend on goodness.

Sub zero.

My dad owns this car(about 6 months now 4.6 with tech package), and i drive it, Quite alot.. This car really just rips the "hyundai image theory apart" You get so much for so less. I mean, the leather is genuine leather especialy the stitched leather on the dash, the doors clothes with a solid thud, all wood is beautifully crafted. the details are are amazing, The interior lighting aluminates a soft white hid looking light through out the car. i found not one interior piece that felt cheap(i love the soft touch materials every thing feels so nice), the seat's enclose you in, The lexicon 7.1 stereo massages your ears. This car in person in Black 4.6 or 3.8 trim is a piece of art. It rides so smooth, like it just turns into a steam roller and flattens the road, not to mention that power house under the hood, But when you drive it, you really don't want to floor it... It's just so nice. And I'm saying he originally had a 06 s500 before this car. This..i can't even believe I'm saying this about a Korean car, I use to detest Hyundai... But now..im speechless every time i get in it... With that said, i know there past. my dad use to have an excel... Which was horrid...he also had a pony (There first RWD car) back in the day. But times change. Hyundai keeps growing and i'm very proud of them.

Infact i might be trading in my car for a 2.0 turbo coupe.

Last edited:
I think the real question is, how many of you 15 years ago thought we'd have Hyundai fanboys?

Oh my. This confuses my heart.

On the one hand, I have no doubt it's an excellent car. It's comfortable, good value, quick, well equipped and handles well. It's undoubtedly another huge leap for Hyundai.

But, I just don't think it's cool. It may be the badge, but I'd still think twice about being seen in one. I'd probably get in in the end, but having to think about it makes it uncool for me. Not seriously uncool, though.

Yes but my idea for Pontiac being bad has a basis. They're boring. They're from Chrysler.

ike-facepalm.jpg

Haha oh, that's true. Well i'm just glad that the major American car manufacturers are so bad these days, it doesn't really disprove my point anyway. :lol:

Yes but my idea for Pontiac being bad has a basis. They're boring.

Doesn't change anything. Boring is simply your opinion; just like Hyundais are uncool in their opinion. They think of Hyundais as being cheap and sub-par, which for many years, wasn't far from the truth. And cheap + sub-par is never cool. But their opinions --right or wrong, fair or unfair-- do have some basis in fact.

The bottom line is that if you apply your own standards by which you judge others in this thread to yourself, you end up just like them. If you dislike prejudice in others, learn not to be so prejudicial yourself. I hope in the future, you will stop a moment and think about that before you criticize others.

They're from Chrysler.

Wow, that's really bad.

Cleopatra ain't the only Queen of Denial.

Haha oh, that's true. Well i'm just glad that the major American car manufacturers are so bad these days, it doesn't really disprove my point anyway. :lol:

Actually, it makes your position even weaker because you sound like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Yes; we're all laughing too... just not with you. ;)

M

Sub zero.

My dad owns this car(about 6 months now 4.6 with tech package), and i drive it, Quite alot.. This car really just rips the "hyundai image theory apart" You get so much for so less. I mean, the leather is genuine leather especialy the stitched leather on the dash, the doors clothes with a solid thud, all wood is beautifully crafted. the details are are amazing, The interior lighting aluminates a soft white hid looking light through out the car. i found not one interior piece that felt cheap(i love the soft touch materials every thing feels so nice), the seat's enclose you in, The lexicon 7.1 stereo massages your ears. This car in person in Black 4.6 or 3.8 trim is a piece of art. It rides so smooth, like it just turns into a steam roller and flattens the road, not to mention that power house under the hood, But when you drive it, you really don't want to floor it... It's just so nice. And I'm saying he originally had a 06 s500 before this car. This..i can't even believe I'm saying this about a Korean car, I use to detest Hyundai... But now..im speechless every time i get in it... With that said, i know there past. my dad use to have an excel... Which was horrid...he also had a pony (There first RWD car) back in the day. But times change. Hyundai keeps growing and i'm very proud of them.

Infact i might be trading in my car for a 2.0 turbo coupe.

None of what you said there affects it's coolness.

Good does not equal cool.

I voted uncool, as nobody is going to stop and look at it in the street, or pay any interest to it at all. Nobody is going to perk up when you mention what you drive at parties. It's just so....generic and bland. It looks like every other car of the same size and it has a Hyundai badge on. You really can't get much worse than blending in.

Doesn't change anything. Boring is simply your opinion; just like Hyundais are uncool in their opinion.

Mmm, no. Boring is not just my opinion.

ahahahnocheating.jpg

whatdidijusttellyou.jpg

Good grief. Can you even tell me what models those belong to?

///M-Spec
...They think of Hyundais as being cheap and sub-par, which for many years, wasn't far from the truth. And cheap + sub-par is never cool.

But their opinions --right or wrong, fair or unfair-- do have some basis in fact.

The bottom line is that if you apply your own standards by which you judge others in this thread to yourself, you end up just like them. If you dislike prejudice in others, learn not to be so prejudicial yourself. I hope in the future, you will stop a moment and think about that before you criticize others.

It's great that Hyundais did suck once upon a time. I made a note of that previously. But it's not true anymore. So people should probably stop thinking that.

Pontiac blows. The Genesis doesn't. On value, on quality and quality for price, on affordability, on design, on the quality of its interior. Hyundai is a phenomenal company. This is not just my opinion. It's a widely-held truth.

Basis in fact? If something was a fact 15-20 years ago and has now been disproven, it's no longer a fact.

I'm not saying i'm a perfect individual. Of course i'd probably enjoy a German sedan more than the Genesis. I understand the concept of brand equity. But i don't discount the Genesis simply because of that. I look at the whole picture and not just the shiny-ness (that metaphor is getting really tiring, i know).

///M-Spec
Cleopatra ain't the only Queen of Denial.

You may not have noticed but i was pointing out how misogynistic it is to tell someone to "man up". Then you doubled it up by calling me a queen for how you think i'm posting. Well done.

///M-Spec
Actually, it makes your position even weaker because you sound like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Yes; we're all laughing too... just not with you. ;)

I don't think it does. GM is even worse than Chrysler. GM created H2 Hummers. Come now.

I don't think it does. GM is even worse than Chrysler. GM created H2 Hummers. Come now.

Well think how much money all the celebrities dished out to GM over the years through Hummer, Cadillac, and to an extent Buick. What have they bought from Chrysler? The 300C/Charger and maybe the Viper?

ahahahnocheating.jpg

whatdidijusttellyou.jpg

Top one is definitely a GTO. Bottom one is probably the Solstice.

Pontiac blows. The Genesis doesn't. On value, on quality and quality for price, on affordability, on design, on the quality of its interior. Hyundai is a phenomenal company. This is not just my opinion. It's a widely-held truth.
Why are we talking about this? Has anyone said otherwise?

ahahahnocheating.jpg

whatdidijusttellyou.jpg

GTO.
Solstice.

Showing me something you don't like doesn't "prove" anything. Boring is an opinion. No matter how strongly you feel about something inherently subjective, you will not turn it into a fact.

If this were true, I would have caused everyone in the universe to stop watching NASCAR 15 years ago.

I happen to like the GTO/Monaro. I don't think it's boring. But that's my opinion, so I don't feel the need to sit here and "prove" you wrong.

It's great that Hyundais did suck once upon a time. I made a note of that previously. But it's not true anymore. So people should probably stop thinking that.

Basis in fact? If something was a fact 15-20 years ago and has now been disproven, it's no longer a fact.

You are trying to use the argument that Hyundai no longer "sucks" to disprove something you can't, which is a lingering perception based on what they used to be.

Brand image is all about perception. And even if the perception does not equate to reality, even if the perception is unfair, it exists.

Whether or not Hyundai is a good company and produces quality products isn't the issue here. Several people have pointed this out to you through out the thread.

Cool = brand image

brand image = public perception

Perception =/= reality

I'm not saying i'm a perfect individual. Of course i'd probably enjoy a German sedan more than the Genesis. I understand the concept of brand equity. But i don't discount the Genesis simply because of that. I look at the whole picture and not just the shiny-ness (that metaphor is getting really tiring, i know).

But you would discount the GTO simply because of other Pontiacs?

And you would discount Pontiac because of *cough* Chrysler?

Be as fair as you wish everyone else would be. Or as Ghandi once said, "be the change you wish to see in the world". Or maybe he said, "**** dat, I ain't rolling in no Hyundai. I'll walk, thanks".

You may not have noticed but i was pointing out how misogynistic it is to tell someone to "man up". Then you doubled it up by calling me a queen for how you think i'm posting. Well done.

This coming from someone who proclaimed everyone who doesn't agree with you about Hyundais is snooty, ignorant and elitist? In two different threads? You'll forgive me, I'm sure, if I don't walk on eggshells around your delicate feelings. Why don't you just take your own advice and not take it too seriously. Consider it me just "busting your chops".

I do. It shows you are ignorant enough of the basic facts, that it calls your judgement into question.

EDIT

Why are we talking about this? Has anyone said otherwise?

He doesn't like the fact that I pointed out his hypocrisy. So now he feels the need to prove that Pontiac sucks (and deserves all the negative things said about them) and Hyundai is great (and the people who don't think so are stupid) so he'll be right after all.

M

Last edited:
Well, how about this: it's uncool because it's a Floaty, soft-edged old-people's car, not because it's a Hyundai.

Huh. Lots of people must be fine with old people's cars.

If your grandpa'd buy one, and he's not having an endlife crisis, I think it's pretty safe to say uncool.

I'm not trying to say that what i think is right, i'm trying to convince more people to form their opinions on something rather than just "oh, it's a Hyundai".

And before you jump down my throat about Pontiac again i want you to know that i believe Pontiac sucks because they're expensive (cheap looking but not all that cheap), bland, and because GM/Chrysler/Ford all have really crappy business structures. The Solstice is sort of nice, but still nothing to get worked up about.

Just because i'm trying to have a conversation with you and defending my position doesn't mean you have to call supposed "delicate feelings" into play. Relax, man.

I voted cool and I don't care what anyone else says. A fast, good looking, good noise making, V8 power outputting saloon car gets a cool from me automatically.

Well, how about this: it's uncool because it's a Floaty, soft-edged old-people's car, not because it's a Hyundai.

It isn't as soft edged as some of the competition. And it's definitely not floaty.

More importantly, why do they do it on FWD cars making them appear as though they should really be RWD?

That car is RWD btw, but I totally agree with you.

I'm not trying to say that what i think is right, i'm trying to convince more people to form their opinions on something rather than just "oh, it's a Hyundai".

And before you jump down my throat about Pontiac again i want you to know that i believe Pontiac sucks because they're expensive (cheap looking but not all that cheap), bland, and because GM/Chrysler/Ford all have really crappy business structures. The Solstice is sort of nice, but still nothing to get worked up about.

Just because i'm trying to have a conversation with you and defending my position doesn't mean you have to call supposed "delicate feelings" into play. Relax, man.

So a Hyundai doesn't automatically suck because it's a Hyundai, but a Pontiac does automatically suck because it's a Pontiac. And anyone who thinks it's the other way about is:

a snooty, ignorant, stupid badge elitist. Who likes shiny marbles.

Got it.

Now. The queston is... what does that have to do with it being cool or not?

I think people are failing once again at realising cool v. uncool is all subjective. You can have whatever reason you like and it's not really right or wrong.

So a Hyundai doesn't automatically suck because it's a Hyundai, but a Pontiac does automatically suck because it's a Pontiac. And anyone who thinks it's the other way about is:

Got it.

Now. The queston is... what does that have to do with it being cool or not?

Are you serious?

I think people are failing once again at realising cool v. uncool is all subjective. You can have whatever reason you like and it's not really right or wrong.

Fine fair enough.

Are you serious?

Yep.

Throughout you've been at pains to point out that thinking a Hyundai sucks because it's a Hyundai is silly, and that this particular model is great because of this and that and the other (though thinking a Pontiac sucks because it's a Pontiac is entirely normal and sane).

And I've repeatedly pointed out to you that how good a car is or isn't has nothing at all to do with whether it's cool or not. Nothing. At all.

I've even gone to lengths to point out some very good cars that are being rated uncool and some very bad ones which are being rated cool. But you're not accepting that good and cool are completely independant of one another. For some reason.

This Hyundai is not bad because it's a Hyundai. It's uncool because it's a Hyundai. Being uncool is not the same as being a bad car.

Ok i guess listing my reasons isn't enough. Let's just drop those extraneous bits of this discussion.

But moving past that, i can agree that a car like the Genesis can seem uncool because: it's a sedan, or because its market is primarily folks in their 50s (as it is with all luxury sedans), or because the styling can be considered bland because [like every other sedan] it follows a structured design style. I don't think "it's a Hyundai" is a fair assessment.

Once again, when we're talking about cars that i can go out and purchase or lease at a reasonable cost, functionality is a "cool" factor for me. I have to judge these cars with more attention to detail. If i'm going to be sitting in traffic in this thing for 5 years of my life, or whatever the current statistic is, it needs to be a good car.

I also consider something that does its job well to be "cool". That's why i think the Genesis is pretty cool. It's an affordable, high quality, high powered, well designed luxury sedan. And that's why cars like the Elise, F1, work trucks, rally cars, etc. can in some way be considered "cool" even though you may not necessarily wow your coworkers or the girls at your local community college...

I understand that you differentiate between uncool and bad, Famine, but i am absolutely certain that others do not have that sense. I know because i once thought the same way. Hyundai? Oh it must be bad. I'm not even going to bother using any logic to come to my decision.

Back