Wheel and controller settings

• Thread starter tinker
  • 48 comments
kloewe
I the now, quite long, original "serious" Shift thread there are some really good pointers from among others "NLxAROSA" and "Amar212" regarding proposed settings for the G25. Settings which perhaps are also beneficial for other steeringwheels.

I propose we try to mine some of these excellent nuggets and share some of our experiences regarding these settings. I have taken the liberty of quoting a couple of these tips, which perhaps have been updated/modified with more experience with Shift?

Let's share some thoughts, modifications and experiences.

Wheel settings:
NLxAROSA
Dutch Customs Tuning Shop

For those who care, this is my setup for the G25, have fun...
(Updated settings monday sept. 21 sept)

Code:
Steering - Deadzone: 0%
Gas - Deadzone: 5%
Brakes - Deadzone: 5%
Clutch - Deadzone: 5%
Steering Sensitivity: 75%
Gas - Sensitivity: 50%
Brakes - Sensitivity: 50%
Clutch - Sensitivity: 50%
Speed Steering Sensitivity: 0%
FFB: 8
Steering lock: 360
Reverse shifting: Off
Y-axis: Normal

amar212

Try these settings than come back...
The key is the Speed Steering setup on 0% - it is the thing that gives you back both "livezone" and force feedback effect on the straights.

Code:
Accel - Deadzone: 0%
Brakes - Deadzone: 0%
Clutch - Deadzone: 0%
Steering Sensitivity: 100%
Accel - Sensitivity: 25%
Brakes - Sensitivity: 12%
Clutch - Sensitivity: 25%
FFB: 10
Steering lock: 900

Controller settings:
SHIFT controller community-setup:
The 1st fix:
Code:
Steering Dead Zone-15% 
Accel Dead Zone-10% 
Brake Dead Zone-10% 
Steering sensitivity-5% 
Accel Sensitivity -5% 
Brake sensitivity-5% 
Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

The 2nd fix:
At the main menu enter CAR GARAGE ---> TUNING, press 'triangle' to enter quick tuning mode.
Under the heading 'balance' move the slider all the way to ---> OVERSTEER.
That's right oversteer, turning the slider to oversteer will actually add understeer. Apparently the developer labeled this slider wrong or its a glitch.

Have fun...

Last edited:
Might as well add this here too, it's a quick and rough illustration of how the sensitivity settings work:

X-axis: Input, Y-axis: Output

t0ma7t.gif

Ske
Might as well add this here too, it's a quick and rough illustration of how the sensitivity settings work...

Thanks Ske, this is Great!
"show don't tell"

By looking at the graph you sent and other discussions going around. I suppose the "sensitivity setting" for a wheel should be 50%? Is this what you guys run with in general?

Last edited:
Good topic. 👍

I'm using a steering sensitivity of 75% now. Gives a bit more feel and precision to the wheel. :)

I collected a couple of additional wheel settings from other users. Thanks to "Stotty" and "red7".

Stotty
My other car's a Porsche

Here's the steering settings I'm using...

Code:
Steering Sensitivity: 95%
Accel - Sensitivity: 30%
Brakes - Sensitivity: 15%
FFB: 8
Steering lock: 720

Then set the steering angle to max in the car settings.

Settings are numerous and complicated, so changes need to be made with care or you just end up making the car worse. At the 'Ring I'm using soft springs/high ride, slightly upped camber coupled with medium downforce and slightly softer tyre pressure... the result is a car with balanced turn that delivers beautiful 4 wheel drifts often from well before the apex.

red7
GTP Enthusiast

DFP setup
Turning steering lock (in tuning) set to the middle marker (28-32) more or less.

Code:
Accel - Deadzone: 2%
Brakes - Deadzone: 2%
Steering Sensitivity: 50%
Accel - Sensitivity: 50%
Brakes - Sensitivity: 45%
FFB: ?
Steering lock: 720

One thing I noticed...

Lowering accelerator sensitivity makes powerful RWD cars much easier to control on corner exits.

Wim at RSC also explained the settings with a graph, like Ske his post, and some text explaning it, Might be handy to keep all these things in the same thread ;)

RaceSimCentral - Wheel settings discussion

"Finally got around to do that illustration that makes it easier to visualize what happens when you use anything other than 50% steering sensitivity.

sensitivity.png

If you use less than 50% sensitivity the axis will be less sensitive from 0% input to 50% input, but will be more sensitive from 50% input to 100% input, in comparison to 50% sens. The inverse is true for higher sensitivity than 50%. So you are actually adjusting the linearity of your controller axis. Its way more difficult for my brain to adopt to the non linear steering than it is having it at 50%, and adjust the steering lock in the car setup itself. This is why I always advocate 50% axis sensitivity if you are using a steering wheel. Speed sensitive steering will move the steering wheel output towards the low sensitivity graph as a function of car speed; the higher the speed the less sensitive the steering becomes towards the start of the axis. "

And a link to the official explanation of all settings at the NFS site:

- Guide to SHIFT Settings

Is Shift any good with the Driving Force GT?

It should be ok in theory as all Logitch wheels are farily similar to each other. :dunce:

what does Speed Steering Sensitivity do exactly? I think someone might have explained it in the 100+ page post.

Culled this explanation from GUIDE TO SHIFT SETTINGS. Hope this makes sense. Good tips to understand Shift controller versus wheel settings overall in that blog post.

Speed Steering Sensitivity
This setting reduces the sensitivity of steering at speed. A high value applies maximum effect to make the car stable to drive down straights with a gamepad. Lowering the value will make the car feel sensitive and twitchy at higher speeds. For a multiturn steering wheel it is recommended to set this value to 0%, for other wheels a value around 50% is recommended.

Well after changing the settings with the pad for some time, Ive finally got some settings Im happy with. Still not perfect but work better for me:

Steering Dead Zone - 1%
Accel Dead Zone - 2%
Brake Dead Zone - 2%
Steering sensitivity - 4%
Accel Sensitivity - 95%
Brake Sensitivity - 95%
Speed steering Sensitivity - 100%

Let me know if you try them out 👍

Well after changing the settings with the pad for some time...

What the heck! ...are you really Pad-user? Oh my... could not ever drive like you with DS. :ill: (same goes to some other guys too, who I know drives like Aliens in GT5P with DS)

Well, so that I would not be only off-topic, here is my recommendation: Only thing changed after photo, Brake Sensitivity 12%

Attachments

• wheel settings.jpg
    wheel settings.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 89
Thanks Jack, as a fellow pad user, I'll give it a go 👍

Last edited:
Jack is a monster with a pad. I think he has actuators for fingers...

I could never really get close to your race times in GT5P with the pad... practice practice practice... :lol:

Have you tried lower Speed Steering sensitivity? I'm starting to find that having it at 100% is a problem after a shunt... car feels too twitchy afterwards...

:lol:

I need to play around abit more. Ive found that with having 1% deadzone, although it helps you to make small adjustments at speed by just slightly moving the left stick, its very small movements you have to make (you can see how little by moving the steering when stopped).

This may not be the deadzone itself but a combination of Steering Dead Zone, Steering Sensitivity and Speed Steering Sensitivity. As you say it makes oversteer hard to control sometimes.

Ive also found the gas and brakes to be very strange. Where GT is progressive on the throttle and brakes, Shift seems to be very strange. Almost set into 5 sections of 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. Although it doesnt sound like a big deal, I find exiting corners in low gears very difficult which normally ends up in me spinning when pushing hard. Maybe the sensitivity is too high?

Last edited:
Really? Set with maximum sensitivity, like you've shown... and I still find it easier to modulate than GT5P.

Try returning the dead-zone and lowering the sensitivity... though that brings back some of the "hidden assist" feeling that your high sensitivity settings mediate.

:lol: Does your head in after a while. Seems to be you either stay with really sensitive, or really heavy and unresponsive.

Back to the drawing board :grumpy:

When using a pad, wouldn't it be wise to set the Accel Sensitivity on the low side, so that if one wanted to really slam the gas all the way, he would have to press the button all the way aswell? Seems to me that is would give a better control level over the gas pedal (using a pad).

Thanks to amar212 for your settings and to tinker for collating themhere!

I was really struggling to get to grips with the handling but tried these last night and ended up playing for hours and really loving it. I was at the point where I was thinking of trading the game in but not now.

Thanks guys!

Has anyone tried this?

Shift Developer
My steering wheel feels unresponsive
It is recommend that you set the wheel to 360 degrees of turning lock and 0% speed sensitivity. We also recommend that you do not set the steering lock to anything higher than 450 degrees without then also adjusting the lock settings for your car in the advanced setup screens. Using the Logitech control panel set the steering lock to 360 degrees, then in-game select the appropriate preset for the wheel. Also using the in-game options set the speed sensitivity to 0% and ensure the steering deadzone is set to 0%. We recommend this as a good starting point however you may want to spend some time tweaking these values to better suit your driving style.

I tried it...it worked great for me...I can now use 0% dead zone without a problem.

Could someone post a good setting for the DFGT? Or are the ones for the DFP also good for the DFGT?
Thanks in advance.

kdk
Could someone post a good setting for the DFGT? Or are the ones for the DFP also good for the DFGT?
Thanks in advance.

Try these settings for the DFGT..

Steering Sensitivity: 70%
Brakes - Sensitivity: 50%

Thank you for the settings. But the wheel still feels way to unresponsive in my opinon. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of this problem?

I use these settings

Steering Sensitivity: 50%
Brakes - Sensitivity: 12%

Or the same but with Steering Sensitivity at 100% and Steering lock at 900

From a good thread by panjandrum I just became aware of earlier today:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=120537

Be sure to check out the original thread for the full discussion

My intent is for this thread to used for reasonable adult discussion of Need for Speed Shift and/or GT5P/GT4. Drawing comparisons is going to be inevitable, but please don't use this thread for fanboyism. Keep it nice, level and polite.

I think a number of us are enjoying NFSS quite a bit. At the least it seems to be enjoyable enough to fill the time until GT5 comes out. The physics/feedback model of NFSS is similar to GT4 (there are a lot of other similarities in the tuning features). With the inclusion of Nurburgring and Laguna Seca, it has an overall feeling a lot like an updated GT4.

There are a few handling differences that bothered me. (For reference I run using the Logitech G25 wheel and generally turn off all drivers aids except ABS. I run "pro" driving physics. If you are using a controller or run with different levels of driver assists, then these settings might be completely wrong for you). I wanted the cars to handle just a bit more like GT4 than they did. I've used Nurburgring and Laguna Seca for my testing since I know those tracks so well from GT4.

Most specifically the RR and MR cars in NFSS don't get loose enough for my taste when you come off-throttle. One thing the Gran Turismo series does very well is describe the weight balance of the car through the wheel, NFSS doesn't do this nearly as well, although it does do a great job of feedback overall. At any rate, off-throttle the RR and MR cars in NFSS don't have the turn-in I expect and like. You can't feel the engine back there in the wheel as much, and the rear of the car doesn't start to step out enough. This turned out the be largely solvable using the LSD setting in NFSS. Once you have the proper upgrades in place, you can change the Deceleration LSD and the Preload LSD settings, just like you can in GT4. Set the Preload to as little as possible, and set the Deceleration setting to 0. Your MR/RR car will now feel a lot more like it would in real-life and a lot more like they do in Gran Turismo. If those settings take it too far for you, just slowly tweak them back up a bit.

I also found that the input from the G25 wheel was reduced quite a bit compared GT4/5p once I had my wheel set to 900 degrees lock (the default is 360, which feels really strange to me). So I set the wheel lock to 900 but then set the wheel sensitivity to 100% instead of the default 50%. Feels pretty good to me at that setting (reasonably close the GT4/5P).

Also included are some very nice pedal dead-zone and sensitivity settings. Everyone will like something different here, but one nice thing is that you can make the pedals feel more like they do in a real car. You'll probably want a little dead-zone on both the clutch and the brake.

There is also a Speed Steering setting which is supposed to make your car less twitchy at high speeds (sounds a bit like "active steering"). So far I've left this at the default setting but will hopefully have time to play with it later today.

Edit: OK, I've played with the Speed Steering now and it does more or less function like "Active Steering" except it only comes into play at higher speeds and it is a slider from 0-100. 0 makes the steering incredibly twitchy at high-speeds. 100 makes the car respond sluggishly at higher speeds. Currently I'm running it at 30, which again feels reasonably close to GT4 (with active steering off).

Here are my settings at this point:

Game Settings:

Handling Model: Professional

Steering Deadzone: 0
Accelerator Deadzone: 0
Brake Deadzone: 5
Clutch Deadzone: 5
Steering Sensitivity: 90 (see notes later in this post)
Accelerator Sensitivity: 0
Braking Sensitivity: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 0
Speed Steering Sensitivity: 30 (see notes later in this post)
Wheel Lock: 720 (see notes later in this post)
FFB Strength: 10

Traction Control: Off
Stability Control (whatever they call it): Off
ABS: On (was off for a while, but like every other racing sim I've played, I can't master them without the g-forces of a real car to tell me what's going on)

Car tuning settings:

LSD Acceleration: (Whatever you prefer)
LSD Deceleration: 0 - 10 depending on car
LSD Pre-load: As low as it will go (slider to left)

Feels pretty GT4 like to me. For example I have the Porsche 911 GT3 RS feeling a LOT like the RUF RGT in GT4 (but a little looser, maybe somewhere between the RGT and the Yellowbird).

Note: My pedal sensitivity setup is not an attempt to emulate GT4, but rather an attempt to get the pedals to feel more like a real car. Still isn't great, but what racing sim is? The darn pedals are always too sensitive.

Note 2: I'm concentrating only on getting the MR and RR cars feeling like they should. I'm very much an RR guy in real life, and in sims I vastly prefer RR and MR layouts. If anyone else wants to work on settings for the FR and AWD cars, that would be a nice addition to this thread.

Note 3: I'll be editing the above settings if I discover something I think works better, and will make notes to that here at the bottom of the first post.

Note 4: I really wanted to nail the steering setups down to something concrete. I went back and drove the Yellowbird, the RGT, and the Elise around the Ring a number of times in GT4. Then went back into NFSS and took similar (in the case of the Elise identical) cars around the Ring. I ended up modifying my settings as seen above. But in the end there are a LOT of combinations which feel similar to GT4, and a lot which feel completely unlike GT4. As mentioned in a later post, the Steering Sensitivity, and Steering Lock work together, while Speed Steering essentially stabilizes the car at the expense of less responsive steering. One thing you can easily do, if you play with these settings much, is make the cars too easy to catch via. counter-steering. While it is tempting to do this, my advice is to avoid that temptation.

Let me know if you try them out 👍

FYI: driving with lowest TCS and ABS settings

After a first quick run: a very responsive controller setup, which I quite like.

It's a bit too aggressive (read: too quick and direct response to steering inputs, and to the throttle on high powered RWD on corner exits) for me though. Need more time with it, so after 2-3 hours I should be able either to adapt or to tone it down a tiny notch. If I can figure out how.

Thanks!

Back