• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1999+ Ultima GTR suggested by Justin :.

ultima_gtr.jpg

Specs:
http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Content.aspx?f=gtrspec

Last edited:
Difficult one.

Incredibly fast, amazing handling, reputed to be really, really good to drive and can have smart (in a functional sense) interiors too... all for less than 30% of the cost of a typical hypercar.

I personally think it looks fabulous - it's a functional shape... reminds me of a 1970's can-am car.

But I don't see the point of it as a road car... too fast to be really usable and no badge credibility if you're just pottering about in it (which you'll do 99.9% of the time if you value your license).

On balance, uncool.

Uncool. It's a car that focuses more on lap times then anything else, and that isn't cool. Is it a great car? Yes. Is the performance phenomenal? Absolutely. But none of that affects the coolness level of the car. If I drove up in Monte Carlo with one of these the boys with Pagani's, Lambo's and Ferrari's would laugh at me.

Uncool. because it's basicly a track-day car due to it's lack of practicality and unlike other supercars it doesn't have that WOW factor or popularity like say a lamborghini or a ferrari would have (which are also usually impractical but not completely track orientated). Sure it'll smoke any ferrari at the lights (or at anything else performance-wise) but unfortunatly most people won't even know what it is, so it really can't be classified as cool.

Last edited:
It's a tough call. All of the factors that lessen my perception of it don't affect coolness at all. The only thing this is good at is a balls-out track car. If you're going for that, then you don't even need to bother with the rest of the crap the car has and just get an FF or F3 or something. It also doesn't have the sanctioning to partake in widely-followed series the way a Radical or Diasio does.

The fact that it's a supercar that doesn't wear a Ferrari or Lamborghini badge immediately makes it cool. Add to that that it offers Veyron baiting performance levels for base 911 costs and that it actually makes for a good road car with not much less practicality than an Exige, and that makes it subzero. It's fast, it's accomplished and it's cheap.

Turn up in a Lambo or Ferrari and the general publics heads will turn, followed by them saying "Wow... what a tosser" Turn up in a Ultima and heads will also turn just as much, yet they'll just be saying "Wow"

I'm abstaining. I don't have enough of an opinion on Ultimas to declare it cool or uncool.

Well surely if you can't think of any reasons why a particular car is cool, it has to be uncool doesn't it. Well that's what I think anyway.:sly:

I'd rather people who have no opinion on a given vehicle abstain from voting...it's not like you are being forced to make a decision.

its pretty light, so its gonna handle good. its got a Chevy V8 in the Middle, so its gonna go like hell. You put them together yourself (you lucky Brits can have Ultima's engineers build it for you). And last, its British, so I might want one. Cool, but not sub-zero

Seriously uncool. It's like cheating, only not.

That, and I'm rather miffed at it right now. Perhaps if they hadn't just announced yet ANOTHER laptime to fawn over, It might be cool.

Bad timing all around.

Turn up in a Lambo or Ferrari and the general publics heads will turn, followed by them saying "Wow... what a tosser" Turn up in a Ultima and heads will also turn just as much, yet they'll just be saying "Wow"

What you got against Ferrari and Lambo drivers?

Also depends where it is you are turning up.. aside from a track-day, I can't think of many places that the Ultima would be preferable to say, an Enzo, a 599, a Reventon, an LP-whatever-4-veloce-500-Spyder?

Cool. Its made for a single purpose and it doesn't care about anything else. Its not trying to be anything but a track prepped race car for the weekend warrior.

Well surely if you can't think of any reasons why a particular car is cool, it has to be uncool doesn't it. Well that's what I think anyway.:sly:

Don't go down that road, trust me, after what kicked off in another thread.

Although I must say I agree, if it doesn't pull you in any way, it ain't cool because then it's just meh or bland.

Considering I am still in awe over when I saw one in person around 7 years ago, I'd give it a Sub-Zero. Plus, due to my... unique taste I don't find it that ugly.... :P

Eh, this is like a nerdy Lotus. As someone else said, if you pulled up in this next to Lamborghini's etc, ok you would have the fastest car, but is it as cool?

If it looked like a Countach but had the same performance and price, maybe it would be cool.

Uncool. The only thing you hear about this car these days it it blitizing lap records, whether its TG's very own test track (not officially mind you!) or around the Nurb. It has stunning performance, but hang on a minute? What track day car/thing isn't quick? Every Radical, Westfield, Caterham etc have similar kind of performance. And none of them are cool, so why should this be any different?

It's a track machine. Great fun to thrash round a track, but elsewhere it's pretty much useless in my opinion.

Uncool.

No. Because by the same token I can't think of any reasons good enough to declare it uncool either.

Sub-zero. It's an uncompromising performance machine. Damn fast. It isn't pretty but it doesn't really matter to me.

It is agreed that the Ultima GTR is a fantastic trackday vehicle.
It is agreed that the Lotus/Caterham seven is a fantastic trackday vehicle.
In this sense, the two vehicles are roughly equivalent.
Neither one of these cars are competent at grabbing groceries or picking people up at the airport. Both cause the generation massive amounts of happy-inducing neurochemicals. Both of these vehicles aim to accomplish the same thing. They aim to go exceedingly fast around a racetrack and be the purest drive possible for the drivers. These two vehicles do not attempt to accomplish anything else. What one gets is what is advertised by the manufacturer.

If it is true that the Ultima is uncool because it's only a track car, then the caterham seven must be uncool because it is only good as a track car as well. The Caterham seven has spawned countless numbers of imitators. If the Caterham seven is worthy of imitators, it must have been deemed cool by the general motoring populace. The Caterham seven is cool. The Ultima GTR accomplishes all that the Caterham Seven accomplishes. Therefore, the Ultima GTR must be cool as well.

Sub-Zero, it's fast, handles well and it's under $100,000. I don't really care if the guy next to me thinks it's cool, he'll be in my rear view mirror in 5 seconds anyways, of course he will just be wondering what the hell just flew past his $500,000 Ferrari.

Sure it's not made to get groceries, but who is going to get groceries in a Ferrari or Lamborghini outside of LA?

Sub-Zero, it's fast, handles well and it's under $100,000. I don't really care if the guy next to me thinks it's cool, he'll be in my rear view mirror in 5 seconds anyways, of course he will just be wondering what the hell just flew past his $500,000 Ferrari.

Sure it's not made to get groceries, but who is going to get groceries in a Ferrari or Lamborghini outside of LA?

If other people think you are uncool for driving the car then the car is uncool.

Once again we aren't voting on whether or not the car is good, fast, or whatever, we are voting on whether or not it's cool.

Justin

I have seen with mine own eyes a man exit a price chopper grocery store laden with groceries in Overland Park, Kansas and enter a Ferrari F355 spyder. Said man started said F355 spyder and proceeded to drive home.

In Kansas. You know, the state that people seem to think is full of wheat and cows.

It is agreed that the Ultima GTR is a fantastic trackday vehicle.
It is agreed that the Lotus/Caterham seven is a fantastic trackday vehicle.
In this sense, the two vehicles are roughly equivalent.
Neither one of these cars are competent at grabbing groceries or picking people up at the airport. Both cause the generation massive amounts of happy-inducing neurochemicals. Both of these vehicles aim to accomplish the same thing. They aim to go exceedingly fast around a racetrack and be the purest drive possible for the drivers. These two vehicles do not attempt to accomplish anything else. What one gets is what is advertised by the manufacturer.

If it is true that the Ultima is uncool because it's only a track car, then the caterham seven must be uncool because it is only good as a track car as well. The Caterham seven has spawned countless numbers of imitators. If the Caterham seven is worthy of imitators, it must have been deemed cool by the general motoring populace. The Caterham seven is cool. The Ultima GTR accomplishes all that the Caterham Seven accomplishes. Therefore, the Ultima GTR must be cool as well.

The Lotus 7 is cool because it has history, its become somewhat of an icon and basically its popular.
Its also quite easy to spawn numbers of imitators when the initial design is 40 years old. Therefore, the Ultima may be cool in 40 years time (though unfortunately Patrick McGoohan isn't around to make it cool).

Back