• Thread starter Joey D
  • 74 comments

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.:1964-1966 Ford Mustang suggested by kayman:.

457259.1-lg.jpg

Specs:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3541138&postcount=83

Last edited:
One of the coolest cars ever. Sub-zero, of course.

Highest first-year sales in the history of car-making. A record which hasn't been surpassed in almost 50 years.

Has to be Sub-Z for me. If I recall correctly it still holds the record as the fastest-selling car ever? Not surprising to me - looks great, gave buyers a multitude of options that few cars had ever offered them before, brought affordable performance to the masses, starred in the most famous car-chase scene ever in Bullitt, gave America another true "icon" to add to its tally and is still revered by enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts the world over. And They got the styling right first time, as that's the one the modern Mustang harks back to.

Honestly can't call it Sub-Z. It's nice, and all, but I like the '68-'70 models, particularly the trans-am homoligation special, the Boss 302.

Sub-Zero. I am not a fan of muscle cars or really any classic American car from the 60's or 70's but this car is just so awesome on so many levels I can't give it anything but S-Z. I'd gladly own one.

This car is also one of the few old cars that doesn't really attract tools either, if I go to a car show a guy with a Mustang will always be friendly. They will more often then not invite you to sit in their car or show you every little detail. I like that. At a show I went to back in September I got to talking to a guy about his 64 Mustang and he ended up taking me for a ride in it. That sort of community is cool.

The original and the best. They've been gradually getting uncooler since 1966.

Has to be Sub-Z for me. If I recall correctly it still holds the record as the fastest-selling car ever? Not surprising to me - looks great, gave buyers a multitude of options that few cars had ever offered them before, brought affordable performance to the masses, starred in the most famous car-chase scene ever in Bullitt, gave America another true "icon" to add to its tally and is still revered by enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts the world over. And They got the styling right first time, as that's the one the modern Mustang harks back to.

Said it better than I could. 👍 Sub-Zero.

I venture to say that I nominate this car to be locked up in Lord Kelvin's Ice Box.

It's Sub-Zero for reasons already stated.

It might to to Lord Kelvin's but that means it really couldn't get any more less than cool votes.

The original and the best. They've been gradually getting uncooler since 1966.

This. Though I think Ford's relentless, soul-less overmarketing of the current Mustang may take it straight to boiling on the coolness scale...

Make mine a coupe, as in the picture, instead of the ominpresent fastback that people keep trying to turn into "Eleanors". (Note: Eleanor is a very, very special girl. A whole room full of Eleanors kinda decreases the "special" quotient...)

And make it a German-market T5, with the uprated Euro-spec suspension.
en1.jpg

And make it black, please. Very black.

A truly rare muscle car that was one of the first cars people truly fell in love with.

Dirt cheap at the time, too.

I should say it's seriously uncool. I mean, it was massively sold and it's main target customer were secretaries and female teenagers:

This. Though I think Ford's relentless, soul-less overmarketing of the current Mustang may take it straight to boiling on the coolness scale...

And it isn't none of the performance versions made of the Mustang:

Cool. A Boss 302, Boss 429, Mach 1 or Shelby GT350/GT500 would make it into sub-zero.

¡BUT LOOK AT IT! :drool: ¡IT'S THE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THOSE PERFORMANCE VERSIONS! :drool:

Definitely, a cool car 👍.

It might to to Lord Kelvin's but that means it really couldn't get any more less than cool votes.

The 300SL I nomitated got an uncool vote at least, so I can't see why this can't go there too. ;)

Sub-Zero. A legend was born. and the pony car war too. :D

This, plus all of the positive comments people gave in the thread so far, makes this car Absolute Zero for me. 👍

I should say it's seriously uncool. I mean, it was massively sold and it's main target customer were secretaries and female teenagers

I thought that was happening right now, at the present. I'm not american, so I can't tell, though.

Quick tip Joey, the title should be 1964-1966 Mustang, since that was specified. The First Gen actually goes from 1964 to 1973.

Anywho, I said COOL simply because it's a great car, but didn't gain the performance and good looks until 1967.

Just Cool...

The 64-66 always seemed kind of "girly" to me much like the S197's are today. I prefer the bigger cars from 71-73. Plus they seem to be pretty common like 1st gen Camaros are and if I see another Eleanor replica I'm gonna go insane.

Back