Shift 2: DS3 Handling

• Thread starter Patrick
  • 63 comments

Patrick

MVP
Premium
United States
California
I was wondering did you guys mess with the settings to get a better feel for cars with your DS3 not any racing wheels. Can't beat the modern a invitational.

I just set the standard controller settings with steering sensitivity and deadzone down to zero. Played it on Elite with assists and it felt a bit more enjoyable.

Deadzone at 0
clutch, throttle,braking etc sensitivty at 55% seems to work pretty dam good for me, my Z06 sticks to the racing line prefectly.

Steering deadzone at 2%, Steering sensetivity at 10%. The former took the edge off a bit of that trademark Shift input lag, the latter slightly smoothed out the way the driver seems prone to yank the wheel around. Everything else at default is working well enough for me thus far.

It's good for drifting. For some reason, I can't drift with a my wheel in Shift 2. With a controller though, I can send my cars flying through corners. I set some drift records through autolog by using a controller.

I've just been using the DS3 and my god, I cannot drive these cars.

I play gt5 with no assists, and can set some pretty fast laps with both the DS3 and the G27, but in S2, I cannot even stay on the road. :(

ikarys

I play gt5 with no assists, and can set some pretty fast laps with both the DS3 and the G27, but in S2, I cannot even stay on the road. :(

Same here!

when i played it for the first time yesterday, i had literally been playing gt5 seconds before putting in s2. first thing i notice is that the controller sensitivities are much much higher, at least with the steering. i had a pretty hard time keeping it on the road because for one the controller is too twitchy and two, the way the car transitions between traction and lower grip (such as in higher speed corners like the porsche curves) is much different from gt5 and i found myself flying into a wall on several occasions. not sure if it is the physics being far inferior on shift in comparison, and it might be that i've been playing gt5 like a fiend since november, but controlling the car is far too difficult to be realistic in shift if using a ds3.

Yeah it's really twitchy. The way I play with the DS3 in GT5 is sorta jerky, unless I'm cornering. If i need to straighten up a bit, ill click the joystick briefly to full lock either left or right.

In S2, that causes me to turn off the road. Hmm... I'll give it a shot with the G27 and see how we go.

Because the shop I wanted to return the game to did allow that (LE has activation code) I will have to try the suggestions in this thread. I will try tonight.

I adjusted the settings in the advanced controls section also - deadzones to 0, lower sensitivity - and I am still unhappy with the handling. I am playing on Elite and there is this slight input lag that is killing the feel of the game for me.

At first I thought that it was still some setting that needed to be tweaked, or the setup of the car, but I am not so sure anymore. I turned on the telemetry readout and when I turn suddenly the input is immediately visible in the readouts. Unfortunately the car doesn't move in sync, there is a slight lag before it actually starts to turn.

I plead ignorance if this is part of the physics model of the game or how things 'should' work with a wheel. With a DS3 the analog stick simply doesn't have the same 'throw' as a wheel so the handling problems are exacerbated. Every other part of the game responds in sync with controller input - the menus, etc. - so I am thinking this is a racing specific issue and possibly a bug.

In a racing game, where fractions of a second count, this is making it hard to enjoy the experience. I do not experience any input lag with GT5 so I can rule out my controller and TV setup. I just hope it is a problem that will get fixed and not the way they intended it to be played.

-DD

Same here!

I adjusted the settings in the advanced controls section also - deadzones to 0, lower sensitivity - and I am still unhappy with the handling.

In a racing game, where fractions of a second count, this is making it hard to enjoy the experience.

-DD

I feel the same. I want to love this game. It does so much right, but I always feel like I am fighting the car instead of working with it!!:ouch:

I had the same 'Handling' problems, I'm using the good old SixAxis, I found the Advanced settings menu and tweaked the deadzone etc which helped slightly but it still feels like I'm racing on a track made out of Jelly!

I adjust things to all extremes and all possible combinations. No good result. I am going to sell the game. Shame really.

I have posted this in several other topics here but i am trying to post it in as many as possible as it will really help correct a lot of the issues in the game with steering and the floating feeling that many are experiencing with their cars. I have posted a fix for x box wheel users as far as wheel settings but that is only half of the problem. Believe it or not all cars default tuning settings have the spring rates set to the absolute softest setting and the steering lock for cars is set way to low as well. I adjusted my steering lock from the default 20 to between 25 and 28 and i also simply moved all the spring sliders for spring rates to the middle and i am running an audi s4 with a full works package and it handles like a dream.

I found that the DS3 handling in Shift 2 was too twitchy and figured it was just me and I had to get used to it. Glad to see that its not just me, but others feel the same too. However, after about 30-60mins the controls felt better. Still twitchy, but I guess I just adapted to them. Still near impossible to string together consistent laps with the twitchy-ness though. I guess I'll have to play around with some of the settings and try some in this thread.

The game is great though. Once I sort the controls out, it'll be awesome. Tracks look awesome and I'm loving looking into the apex of the corner when turning. :D

I'm also using a DS3 and have messed extensively with all of the settings and it's still terrible.

This game apart from the handling is great. I want to love it and I keep trying to tinker with the settings to make it feel better but for now it is shelved until that gets fixed. I want to love this game so much. The car list, damage, sounds, AI, everything is fantastic but what's the point if I can't control the damn cars...

If it doesn't get patched or something within a week or two I'm trading it in while it's still worth something. I really hope they fix it.

sw_sephiroth
I'm also using a DS3 and have messed extensively with all of the settings and it's still terrible.

This game apart from the handling is great. I want to love it and I keep trying to tinker with the settings to make it feel better but for now it is shelved until that gets fixed. I want to love this game so much. The car list, damage, sounds, AI, everything is fantastic but what's the point if I can't control the damn cars...

If it doesn't get patched or something within a week or two I'm trading it in while it's still worth something. I really hope they fix it.

What are you're current settings for your DS3?

I did a little tuning and put on tires and it is handling better, but I still gotta make a stand for my DFGT so I can stop using the DS3

What are you're current settings for your DS3?

I've got the deadzone and steering sensitivity set to zero. Accelerator and brake deadzones at zero with each sensitivity set to 50%. Speed sensitivity at 90%. It has made it better but even barreling down straights if I touch the joystick the car tries to fly off the track. I've messed with settings on individual cars also and made them better but something is off here.

It really is like driving yachts. And it is a shame because if this was fixed I would really love this game. I like everything in it and I know the races would be truly epic and a ton of fun.

The only thing I use as aid is the steering assist. I removed the braking one, as it was slowing me down WAY too much in advance, but seriously, use the steering assist, I didn't even change anything in the sensitivity options and oh yeah, I use the "bumper cam", it's a lot easier.

Only problem for me online, you can't use bumper cam and that is STUPID, you're forced to use the cockpit view and there's no assists if I'm not mistaken, so I cannot even finish a race, I hit everything, spin out of control and crash like a maniac, and I play GT5, like many people, with no assists.

The only thing I use as aid is the steering assist. I removed the braking one, as it was slowing me down WAY too much in advance, but seriously, use the steering assist, I didn't even change anything in the sensitivity options and oh yeah, I use the "bumper cam", it's a lot easier.

Only problem for me online, you can't use bumper cam and that is STUPID, you're forced to use the cockpit view and there's no assists if I'm not mistaken, so I cannot even finish a race, I hit everything, spin out of control and crash like a maniac, and I play GT5, like many people, with no assists.

Actually I turned on that steering assist and it made everything a lot better lol. I just feel like a noob now but at least the game became playable! Just spent another hour playing and it's so much better yay!

I'm a dpad (steer), face button (accelerate, brake) and shoulder (gears) user.

Can anybody assists me because I, for the life of me, can not find the right setting for a fluid experience? At the moment steering is either on or off i.e. the car always jerks left to right etc...

I'm a dpad (steer), face button (accelerate, brake) and shoulder (gears) user.

Can anybody assists me because I, for the life of me, can not find the right setting for a fluid experience? At the moment steering is either on or off i.e. the car always jerks left to right etc...

One thing that would help for throttle and brake is using L2/R2.

Latest Posts

Back