• 546 comments

Tom

Voice of Gran Turismo
Premium
United Kingdom
Kent
tombrookscomms
cropped-motogp_banner2.jpg

With 2012 proving to be one of the most exciting seasons in Moto3 and Moto2, MotoGP certainly lived up to its expectations as well with Lorenzo clinching the title at Phillip Island. Now though, we look forward to 2013 with Marquez moving up to Repsol Honda, Rossi returning to Yamaha, Laverty making his debut for PBM and Staring to ride Gresini's FTR-Honda, we're set for one cracker of a season!

Moto3 Provisional Entry List

Moto2 Provisional Entry List

MotoGP Provisional Entry List

Calendar:

07 April – Qatar* Doha/Losail

21 April– Americas, Austin

05 May – Spain, Jerez de la Frontera

19 May – France, Le Mans

02 June – Italy, Mugello

16 June – Catalunya, Catalunya

29 June – Netherlands**, Assen

14 July – Germany, Sachsenring

21 July – United States***, Laguna Seca

18 August – Indianapolis, Indianapolis

25 August – Czech Republic, Brno

01 September – Great Britain, Silverstone

15 September – San Marino & Riviera di Rimini, Marco Simoncelli Misano

29 September – Aragón, Motorland

13 October – Malaysia, Sepang

20 October – Australia, Phillip Island

27 October – Japan, Motegi

10 November – Valencia, Ricardo Tormo

* Evening Race

** Saturday Race

*** Only MotoGP class

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice MotoGp grid finally.

Indeed, really looking forward to having Marquez and Smith in MotoGP next year, as well as Ant West staying with QMMF and Kent moving up to Tech 3 in Moto2. 👍

I will be looking forward to see Zarco on a Suter, he was so promising in 125 but I'm not sure if his bike was any good this year. Regarding the premier class, obviously Marquez and Rossi will add a lot to the excitement of MotoGP and although I don't think Smith will be able to fight towards the front like Cal has this year I hope he does just to make the series even more competitive. My 2 favourite riders (Marquez and Rossi) and my favourite F1 driver (Hamilton) will be at new teams next year so I can't wait for both seasons to begin. :)

That's been going around since their withdrawl in 2011, de Puniet has been strongly tipped with the ride should they return.

I would love to see another factory team in there, I believe BMW are coming in soon as well although I can't remember exactly whats happening there. We just need more bikes!
Anyway I've been thinking, while we're in "off season discussion;" where would you guys prefer to get CRT riders from? We have the below par gp riders (such as Babera), moto 2 riders or superbike/stock riders.
They all have certain advantages, such as track experience or 1000cc experience but having said that I think Petrucci was thrown in at the deep end a bit this year. Discuss :sly:

adamp93
I would love to see another factory team in there, I believe BMW are coming in soon as well although I can't remember exactly whats happening there. We just need more bikes!
Anyway I've been thinking, while we're in "off season discussion;" where would you guys prefer to get CRT riders from? We have the below par gp riders (such as Babera), moto 2 riders or superbike/stock riders.
They all have certain advantages, such as track experience or 1000cc experience but having said that I think Petrucci was thrown in at the deep end a bit this year. Discuss :sly:

BMW have stated that they won't enter unless costs go down dramatically. I think the idea of Superstock/Superbike riders makes sense personally, as well as the Moto2 Riders.

Apparently I've read that MotoGP and WSBK gonna merge, do you know what does that mean ? Will we still have 2 separate championship but with the same regulation in 2013 or 2014 ? Or will they merge both championship in one ?

They are now both owned by the same people, meaning Dorna can control rules in WSB as well as GP to stop the superbikes getting quicker and more technologically advanced. This will keep the gp as the premier class in terms of development.
Also Jerez has a new contract until 2015 so the op needs a minor edit :)
Tom
I think the idea of Superstock/Superbike riders makes sense personally, as well as the Moto2 Riders.

Yes moto 2 riders are used to developing bikes without factory support, and WSB/STK guys do have that 1000cc production engine experience I mentioned earlier. However Randy and Aleix both had previous top class experience and they were the top 2 CRT riders this year. (the bike probably helped though)

Last edited:
They are now both owned by the same people, meaning Dorna can control rules in WSB as well as GP to stop the superbikes getting quicker and more technologically advanced. This will keep the gp as the premier class in terms of development.
Also Jerez has a new contract until 2015 so the op needs a minor edit :)

Yes moto 2 riders are used to developing bikes without factory support, and WSB/STK guys do have that 1000cc production engine experience I mentioned earlier. However Randy and Aleix both had previous top class experience and they were the top 2 CRT riders this year. (the bike probably helped though)

Don't forget that Aspar also have previous experience in MotoGP with Barbera, so they probably had some good base setups for the Aprilia RSV-4 which would've helped.

Thats exactly what I meant about the bike, Aspar clearly would have the best bike and I would think Gresini coming in next. Stick a Moto 2 maniac on it and surely that's a winner?

Thats exactly what I meant about the bike, Aspar clearly would have the best bike and I would think Gresini coming in next. Stick a Moto 2 maniac on it and surely that's a winner?

You never know, Staring could prove great with his STK1000 experience. But I'd much rather prefer seeing someone like Espagaro or Redding on one of them!

CRT is kind of the no man's land now as they are so uncompetitive versus the factory bikes. Until they are one and the same, I'd prefer not to see promising Moto2 or WSBK riders end up on them, as it may lead to 'getting lost in the wilderness' a bit.

Currently, I think its a great platform for journeymen like du Puniet and Aleix Espargaro type guys who arent fast enough on factory bikes, but can offer invaluable development experience. I don't think guys like Ellison offer much value - they are trying to get to grips with CRT's, nevermind offer development value to them.

Assuming the gap between CRT and factory narrows a lot, then what I am hoping for is a Moto2 type scenario where you can throw a new face on there (from Moto2/ WSBK/ Supersports/ Wildcard) and they can have a chance to be relatively competitive. Of course, like Moto2, the top teams will always have the edge, but I would hope Dorna are trying to get MotoGP CRT's to replicate what we have with Moto2.

CRT is kind of the no man's land now as they are so uncompetitive versus the factory bikes. Until they are one and the same, I'd prefer not to see promising Moto2 or WSBK riders end up on them, as it may lead to 'getting lost in the wilderness' a bit.

Currently, I think its a great platform for journeymen like du Puniet and Aleix Espargaro type guys who arent fast enough on factory bikes, but can offer invaluable development experience. I don't think guys like Ellison offer much value - they are trying to get to grips with CRT's, nevermind offer development value to them.

Assuming the gap between CRT and factory narrows a lot, then what I am hoping for is a Moto2 type scenario where you can throw a new face on there (from Moto2/ WSBK/ Supersports/ Wildcard) and they can have a chance to be relatively competitive. Of course, like Moto2, the top teams will always have the edge, but I would hope Dorna are trying to get MotoGP CRT's to replicate what we have with Moto2.

Personally I think that de Puniet was very good on the prototypes and ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't forget however about the controlled ECU's and other bits and bobs that are being enforced to bring the Prototypes closer to the CRT's.

The CRT'S are having a new ECU courtesy of Dorna now so that saves teams having to develop their own electronics, which can only be good news.

I'll be rooting for the Ducati squad in 2014 since they have 2 of the 3 Americans + my favorite Moto 2 rider Andrea Iannone. I like Dovi too I hope the Ducati chassis as better pace in 2014! I'll be with you guys every step of the way next season. Hopefully someone can edit into the op a fantasy rider game for us to part-take in too. wishful thinking tho' :cheers:

I'm going way back haha. I've recently been playing sbk generations where I had my 2010 season in Supersport, probably caused my stupidity :lol:

adamp93
I'm going way back haha. I've recently been playing sbk generations where I had my 2010 season in Supersport, probably caused my stupidity :lol:

You're all good don't trip, we're not robots you kno! :cheers:

I'll be rooting for the Ducati squad in 2014 since they have 2 of the 3 Americans + my favorite Moto 2 rider Andrea Iannone. I like Dovi too I hope the Ducati chassis as better pace in 2014! I'll be with you guys every step of the way next season. Hopefully someone can edit into the op a fantasy rider game for us to part-take in too. wishful thinking tho' :cheers:

Who will the Aussie fans follow?
I heard Darryl Beattie was looking for a ride. :D

Randy De Puniet has just married an Aussie, an absolutely gorgeous one as well. I don't know if that counts.

If she ends up being his grid girl at the same time then that would be an Aussie of a nice time! :drool:

Back