World's Most Underrated Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 122 comments
  • 18,568 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
No, this isn't another FOX TV Series (thank God!) A car is impressive... but not acknowledged much. Many of the cars out now are the best only because of technological innovations and safety measures... but don't add up to cars not a lot of people would consider buying. These underrated models can also be past generations of cars that perform much better and turn in better MPG numbers than their future generations. One might even handle and perform better than almost any other model in its generations, and it's overlooked.

Has this ever happened to you? Then you have an underrated car. I'm opening this thread to the entire world, because after all. America doesn't have underrated cars- the whole world does! It can be any kind of automobile. A car, sports car, exotic car, vintage car, compact, luxury car, whatever. If you feel it's underrated and is actually a great machine, get your butts in here and reply about it.

Okay, you can stop reading now. Reply now if you got something about underrated cars.
 
911 turbo, Lotus Elise, LS430, VW Phaeton.

Thats what I can think of now.
 
I dont know of anyone that doesnt respect the Elise for being a badass racer and true-to-the-heart sports car, so I dont really agree with you on that one, but things may be different in Malaysia. How is the LS430 underrated? It's an awesome Luxury car, and if i was old and boring, you bet I'd be pimpin one of those :)
 
ShobThaBob
How is the LS430 underrated? It's an awesome Luxury car, and if i was old and boring, you bet I'd be pimpin one of those :)
You ARE old and boring.. :) Back on target..

> TsLeng

How's the 911 Turbo underrated ?...

Care to explain ?
 
Damn Doug beat me to the VUE, I would have to argee 100% with that one.
 
Definitely gotta agree with the Vue V6
 
Volvo S80 or Saab 9-5. Both decent luxury (well, 9-5 is semi-luxurious) overlooked in favour of brandsnobbery.
 
Acura TL...
 
Yea, I agree with the TL. The 3.2L TL Type-S's and the CL Type-S's are the second most powerful cars in the acura lineup right now. Only the NSX is more powerful.
 
Mosler MT900S, MT900 'Photon', MT900R
The Bug (original)
xB
Mini Cooper (original)
Any car with a diesel (VW Passat TDi, Jetta TDi, Beetle TDi, Golf TDi, mercedes C-something)
 
My mom has one......SATURN VUE V6 Its the Red line too :sly:
 
Another pretty under rated car is the Bonneville SSEi. They are fast, and the new ones will be even better!
 
Ya I couldn't remember the stuff about the new one. They are pretty fast, but I think for the price you could get a nice BMW. Still you don't think something fast when you think Bonneville.
 
Wow, the Vue V6 is pretty good. Too bad it is as ugly as sin...
 
M5Power
They're also both as outdated as piss. Even I'd rather have a BMW than a 9-5 or an S80. I mean, resale on an S80 is at the absolute bottom of the European car spectrum. So that said, if I were looking for a car for $15000 and cared about nothing but spec, I don't even think I'd consider anything but an S80 T6.

Incidentally, did you know they're both slower to sixty than a 2004 Saturn Vue V6? Yep - it's true. This:

04130051990007LRG.jpg


is quicker than

04903061990001LRG.jpg


and

04904101990007LRG.jpg


In fact, the Saturn Vue V6 (0-60 in 6.6 seconds on the 2WD version) is quicker than practically everything. Its achievements:

- the third-quickest SUV of all time (behind the 1992-1993 GMC Typhoon and 2003-present Porsche Cayenne Turbo)
- the fifth-quickest front-drive vehicle on the market (behind the Dodge SRT-4, Acura TL, Nissan Altima V6 manual, and Pontiac Grand Prix GTP)
- as quick as the Audi A8L (330hp V8), Chrysler Crossfire automatic (215hp V6), Honda S2000 (240hp 4-cylinder), Jaguar XJ8 (294hp V8), Jaguar XK8 (294hp V8), Mazda RX-8 manual (238hp rotary), Mercedes ML500 (288hp V8), Mercedes SL500 (302hp V8), Porsche Boxster automatic (228hp 6-cylinder), and Volkswagen Golf R32 (240hp V6)
- quicker than the Acura RSX Type-S, Audi A4 3.0, Audi A6 4.2, Audi TT 180, BMW 325, BMW 330 automatic, BMW 525i, BMW 530i, BMW X3 3.0i, BMW X5 4.4i, BMW Z4 2.5i, Buick Regal GS, Cadillac CTS manual, Cadillac SRX V8, Chevrolet Impala SS, Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS, Chevrolet SSR, Chrysler 300 Touring, Chrysler GT Cruiser, Dodge Durango Hemi, Dodge Magnum SE 3.5, Dodge Ram Hemi, Ford Thunderbird, GMC Sierra Denali, Honda Accord V6, Infiniti FX45, Infiniti G35 automatic sedan, Jaguar S-Type 4.2, Jaguar X-Type 3.0, Lexus GS430, Lexus IS300, Lincoln LS V8, Mazda 6s, Mazda RX-8 automatic, Mercedes C230, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C320, Mercedes CLK320, Mercedes G500, Mercedes ML350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes SLK320, Mini Cooper S, Mitsubishi Eclipse V6, Nissan Altima V6 automatic, Nissan Maxima, Pontiac Bonneville GXP, Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Cayenne S, Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Subaru Baja Turbo, Subaru Forester Turbo, Subaru Impreza WRX automatic, Subaru Outback 3.0R, Subaru Legacy Turbo wagon, Subaru Outback Turbo wagon, Volkswagen Jetta VR6, Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6, Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo, Volkswagen Passat W8, Volkswagen Phaeton V8, Volkswagen Touareg V8, Volvo C70 Turbo, Volvo S40 T5, Volvo S60 T5, Volvo V70 T5, Volvo S80 T6, Volvo XC90 T6 and every product produced by Toyota and Scion (and GMC, Mini, Buick, Hyundai, Isuzu, Kia, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Saab, Saturn, and Suzuki)

Saturn Vue V6, oh yeah. 👍

Actually I think the SUBARU FORESTER 2.5XT will give the Saturn Vue V6 a run for its money! The Subaru Forester 2.5XT cost $25,520.

This is what Car and Driver ran. This time is quite fast but a normal driver probably would run 14.1s constantly. I think this car has more power and torque than it qouted. If it can run with a WRX, it should be around 250bhp!

Power (SAE net): 210 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 235 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm

ACCELERATION (Seconds)
Zero to 30 mph: 1.3
40 mph: 2.6
50 mph: 3.6
60 mph: 5.3
70 mph: 6.9
80 mph: 9.2
90 mph: 11.8
100 mph: 15.0
110 mph: 19.5
120 mph: 26.7
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.3
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 8.4
50-70 mph: 8.1
Standing 1/4-mile: 13.8 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 129 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 184 ft
Fade: none light moderate heavy

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.75 g
Understeer: minimal moderate excessive


Subaru Forester 2.5XT vs Saturn Vue V6!


And some of you may not like Car and Driver time, or dont trust it. Car and driver did 0-60 in 5.3s.

MotorWeek did 0-60 in 6.2 second so that proves that the Subaru is actually probably faster. Results may vary. ;)

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2250.shtml
 
M5Power
Well, we all know the C&D time is total bull**** - that would put the Forester XT 0.2 seconds behind the Chevrolet Corvette and Ford Mustang Cobra, and would make it the quickest SUV of all time by 0.4 seconds (beating the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, which has a rated 240 more horsepower). Gotta tell you - I don't see it happening. 6.2 is more like it, but I'm buying 7.1 (automatic) and 6.7 (manual), which are ConsumerGuide's times (and since all this data comes from CG and the manufacturers themselves, consistency can't hurt).

Point being, argue all you wish, but the Vue V6 is quick damn quick.

Well Im just pointing out that the Subaru Forester is as quick as the Vue V6. You seem to think that the Vue V6 is faster than the Forester, since you did state that in one of your post.

"- quicker than the .... Subaru Forester Turbo...."

If the VUE V6 is faster its not by much. As you can see the 0-60 is just as quick.

Point being, what you said wasnt 100% correct. I do agree Vue V6 is quick just like the Forester.
 
So most of you all think the Saturn Vue V6 is the most underrated vehicle? The reason why I've been backing up off the Vue is because I'm not a Saturn person. Performance-wise, I'm baffled. Stunned. I think if Saturn can get its styling done better, it win my vote a little more.
 
JohnBM01
So most of you all think the Saturn Vue V6 is the most underrated vehicle? The reason why I've been backing up off the Vue is because I'm not a Saturn person. Performance-wise, I'm baffled. Stunned. I think if Saturn can get its styling done better, it win my vote a little more.

Im not a Saturn person either so I was exactly like you, baffled. The Vue dont look fast but I was certainly surprised. Dont it share the same engine as the Honda Pilot and the Oddessy?

I would take a Subaru Forester over the Saturn Vue V6, since the performance is very close and the Forester looks better.
 
Flerbizky
You ARE old and boring.. :) Back on target..

> TsLeng

How's the 911 Turbo underrated ?...

Care to explain ?


Over here, If to choose betwwen a 360Modena and a 911 turbo, 9/10 of people would immediatly choose the Ferrari. Same case with S-class and Ls430.

On the elise, a lot people think its just a small sports car but don't know it got great handling it can beat many other so called sport cars on the track.
 
If saturn can make their Vue SUV cool and stuff...why cant they make a decent sports car? You know, the kind like an SRT4 or whatever that has good bang for your buck.
 
I tottaly agree with Rollazn, the Subaru Forester 2.5XT along with its STi version, very few people praised this vehicle (except Car and Driver). Thats why I like this wagon so much!

0206200416261663.jpg


I also consider the Saturn VUE Red Line, but it doesn't have a manual tranny so I'll pass. :)
 
Back