Sound Off! Aren't We Forgetting Something?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 130 comments
  • 5,741 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
It angers many GT fans that online play won't be possible this year. What angers most of us others is the fact that we're suddenly neglecting the fact that GT4 will have new cars, tracks, and features. So don't tell me that GT4 is just going to be... another GT. Have we forgotten about the new physics engine? Have we forgotten about multitudes of manufacters? Have we forgotten about Photo Mode, where you can flash photos of cars ranging from the Mini Cooper to the McLaren F1? Have we forgotten the inclusion of Nurburgring Nords, New York, Hong Kong, and Fuji among others? What about an element our own CobraGT focuses on- the human element?

GTPlanet, this "Sound Off!" is in reaction to something I've posted a time or two elsewhere. You see, amid all of the insanity as Kazunori Yamauchi reported that online play will not happen this year. That's final. But this topic is not directly related to online play. Instead, this is an alternative question that presses an issue some of us may not want to consider. As you can tell, I'm also disappointed that GT race fans who love online play will not be able to take on opposition online, at least not this year. I'm not against that. All I'm against is people don't think about what GT4 has to offer besides online play. If you think this is only another racing game, you're sadly mistaken. As one person said, "GT4 is not a cheap thrills wh*re."

So it's time to sound off again, GTPlanet. The issue: "aren't we forgetting about what GT4 has to offer BESIDES online play?" What were points that I made in other threads is now its own discussion. So let's commence the sound off!
 
I'm certainly not forgetting them. I can't wait. I'm not really disappointed about the online factor because PDs going to release an online version later on. This game will keep me busy for years. :drool:

*Sound Off* :grumpy:
 
if the AI in the GT series were anywhere near competent i dont think this would be such a big deal.
if there was more than 6 cars on the grid, same thing, no big deal

but if you are only racing six computer controlled rivals, and they suck :mad: it gets old pretty quickly.
 
Once again, another great post. 👍

And I agree. Where was all this hype when it was announced? Nowhere. And now people are just moaning about it. Hey, what happened to this people who just wanted to see what cars where in? If these people are just going to neglect GT4, then wait one more year and buy GTOnline. And I bet half the people moaning are just gonna come back after GT4's release and say how awesome it is. Which won't surprise me one bit. 👎
 
I definately haven't forgotten about the cars, tracks, etc,etc. If anything. I forgot about the online play. I was never going to use it anyway. That's all I'm getting it for. The cars and everything else.
 
"if the AI in the GT series were anywhere near competent i dont think this would be such a big deal.
if there was more than 6 cars on the grid, same thing, no big deal

but if you are only racing six computer controlled rivals, and they suck it gets old pretty quickly."


So how did you get this far into the series if all those thngs bother you? So all you are saying is online or nothing. you're on a small boat heading down a shallow river my friend.
 
The new physics engine.. the manufacturers.. the cars.. the tracks.. this is what I always wanted in the next GT, and I'm VERY much looking forward to playing the game upon it's release. In fact, I'm sure I'll do little else for several weeks.
 
I have NOT forgotten about the 650+ cars; heck, when GameSpot released 250+ screenshots a couple of days ago I almost fell out of my chair! Stupid dial-up though :grumpy:

Now I'm just waiting for the AI responsiveness, and the vehicle characteristics. Mainly what I'm hoping for is great AI, and yes I know I know "whatch the video"; well, I can't hardly find a darn video on it, nor can I seem to get it to start downloading in my downloading manager...errr So anchest.

Less than two more months. For now, I have Fable on the Xbox, and GTA San Andreas in 24 days!
 
I have not forgotten about the 650+ cars either and those awesome 50 tracks.
GT4 has so many futures. And yes , I know that GT fans are dissapointed about the online play but c'mon! Online will be avaible in the future. If PDdon't want online anymore that's another thing , then I can understand GT fans ;)
 
Well, I always took the biggest pleasure in driving alone on a track and then watching the replay. Split screen in second and GT mode races in the end.
 
LaBounti
"if the AI in the GT series were anywhere near competent i dont think this would be such a big deal.
if there was more than 6 cars on the grid, same thing, no big deal

but if you are only racing six computer controlled rivals, and they suck it gets old pretty quickly."


So how did you get this far into the series if all those thngs bother you? So all you are saying is online or nothing. you're on a small boat heading down a shallow river my friend.

I concur with neanderthal on the issue of AI now the Online mode is dropped.

And how i managed to get this far into GT series with those restriction in place:=

GT1, Was a Brand new fresh racing game, in the world of the console, it was easy to get sucked into its depth and we were all amateurs to the Ai and handling.

GT2 Offered a massive leap in variety over 1 and although essentially it was just more of the same it was still new and fresh enough to keep racing till the end.

GT3 On the new PS2 was promised to make great leaps and bounds on from the gaming experience perspective as well as the graphics, however due to polyphonys struggle to get a great graphics engine working on the PS2 due to inexperience in the programing of Sonys different architecture, many delays were forced and in the end many promised enhancements in the gaming experience were dropped in favour of what PD had done in GT1 and 2.
What we ended up with was a graphically enhanced game featuring less cars, The same OLD tracks, The same OLD physics engine, and a very lacklustre AI engine, which became OLD very quickly, so much so that even after getting it on release, Im still only 60% completed.
And in the end mainly prefered to drive in OLR, to get enjoyment from the game.

GT4 while it Now has a new range of cars, finally some descent New tracks, a new graphics engine, a new physics engine and a few new modes, but the crux of the matter will now depend on a more sophisticated AI engine, to give a descent challenge, and racing experience, especially as the Online Experience will be lost for now.
Without sufficient challenge, the new Physics engine and tracks will soon become second nature and the rest of the game become a tiresome chore again quite fast.
Leaving me to once again seek satisfaction from the game in a way PD have not included, in the Form Of OLR such as those on these boards.


So to john, I say yes the New tracks are one of the Biggest pluses in GT4, it was one of my biggest dissapointments for GT3, the new Physics engine and the DFP will add a great deal to the experience from what i have experienced in Prologue, the range of cars is always a bonus the more the better.
As for the human element, Im not really that bothered, on the rally track in Prologue they soon become irrelevant after youve seen them a few times, this will most likely be the same for the pit crews, however im looking forward to seeing the Driver, who has his own physics engine and movement and will react to the cars motion realistically, i think this will add a lot to the Replays.
Replays have always been a big part of GT for me especially after a good drive its nice to sit back and watch from a tv style perspective and watch your performance.
Photo mode will probably get only a couple of looks, initially but maybe when ive a few descent cars under my belt ill have a go at getting a good few action shots and printing them out, I feel dissapointed about lack of online for this mode too, as was looking forward to getting some good pics out to the world.
Essentially as long as the AI is stronger this time, Ill be completely happy with GT4, until the Online version appears.
 
I was never angry to hear about the Online play being delayed. I would've been frustrated like some of the fellow GTP members, if they'd completely written it off.. But I can wait 6-8 more months for online play. As it is I was going to get a network adaptor for my PS2 and a Broadband connection for home after 6 to 8 months..
*Sound Off*
 
I've always thought that you can play Gran Turismo in one of two ways, competitively (against people) or passively (against the AI or cooperatively with people)... for me, passive play against the AI accounts for about 90% of my total time on GT, and the other 10% is non-competitive/co-operative two (or more) player races with friends. In other words, the element of competition that would be the main-stay of the on-line mode wouldn't appeal to me, and I don't think that GT4 will be the poorer for it since competitive play invariably breeds negative feeling sooner or later, something that I'm glad to say I've never associated with GT! (OK, maybe occasionally during license tests!). I reckon a cool idea would be to make the online mode (when and if it ever appears) to be unlocked only when you reach 100%... that way, you'd be guaranteed to know that each and every 'competitor' online would have a great deal of respect for others! :sly:
 
Touring Mars
, and I don't think that GT4 will be the poorer for it since competitive play invariably breeds negative feeling sooner or later,:

Could you expand on this element.
Im interested to know how you think competetive play leads to negativity?
Competition is what makes the world today.
Sore losers are negative, sure, but thats a personality trait, not a gaming problem.
 
GT4 will be the best value game on the PS2, bar none. For Final Fantasy X gave about 100 hours play, compared with about 300 hours on GT3. GT4 will undoutably be the best in the GT series, and I expect will take longer to get bored with than any of the previous versions.

New tracks, cars and modes of play will make GT4 a home away from home. GT4 will be a place to hang out for years to come. It's going to take an age to get used to the feel of each of the cars with the new physics and wheel, and there will always be a track highscore to beat, or a new photo to shoot. Also consider beating the whole game twice, once driving and once in B-spec mode.

I seriously expect to be playing GT4 until GT5 is released.
 
I can't go online with my PS2, and i'm not puting any money in it either (got other tings to finance). Im looking forward to the 650 cars, the 50 tracks, stuning grapics, photomode, new posibilitys to tune your vehicle, the comeback of the Lancia Delta HF Integrale roadcar :dopey: ,.... and all that other stuff.
GT4 does not need online play to be the best racing game ever. for those who want online play, just wait till 2005...
 
Online for me was just going to be a fun bonus, but it will never come close to beating out the rest of the game. Even before online was announced, i knew this game was going to be nuts. We have about 350-400 confirmed cars. That leaves us with with at least 250 more cars to go, and a lot of the repeats of GT3 are already in, as well as many of the lancers and skylines are already in, so that should leave us hopefully with a lot of variety to come, and hopefully 3 special manufacturers, though i'm not expecting them. Not to mention a 1000 car garage? That's unheard of. That's just of the cars. Not to mention possible race modifications, paint jobs, wheels, tuning, etc.

Then we got tracks. At least 50 different tracks will be in the game...NOT including reverse versions! That leaves us with at least 100 different ways to burn rubber. Maybe a little less due to the non-reverse versions of real tracks.

Not to mention photo mode, in which i love taking pictures of cars in real life. Now i'll be able to take my favorite cars and put them in beautiful locations around the world.

There's just so much to this game, i can't even think of everything that's in it already. GT4 will be the best racing game ever created. 👍 :dopey: :eek:
 
^ Yeah online to me was sort of a bonus too. I don't see why whenever a game gets introduced with online play, that's the only thing in the game they care about. ONLINE MAN ITS GOT ONLINE OMFG ONLINE IS SO COOL MAN WE GOTTA GET THIS GAME JUST BECAUSE OF IT!!!!!

Guys, please. I know it'd be a nice addition and would be a great way to pit your skills against the world, but HOW LONG have we had the Gran Turismo series WITHOUT online play? We survived didn't we? We had plenty other stuff to do right? The variety of topics on this forum are an example of it.

Hell when online was released I was like "Oh yeah that's nice" but for the features and cars, and TRACKS they included, I nearly pissed my pants every time.

SO, don't forget that GT4 is focusing on the SINGLE PLAYER MODE.
 
This is never going to end..........👎
I bet you any amounts of money that IF gt4 was t ocome with online... in aboot a week or so after the game is realeased, people would be back here B*tch*n and moaning about how Amateurs keep raming them into the wall and what not

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:


No matter what Polyphony does there will always be idiots that are unsattisfied with the game.👎
 
Homer_SS
This is never going to end..........👎
I bet you any amounts of money that IF gt4 was t ocome with online... in aboot a week or so after the game is realeased, people would be back here B*tch*n and moaning about how Amateurs keep raming them into the wall and what not

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:


No matter what Polyphony does there will always be idiots that are unsattisfied with the game.👎

I'm sure you are right, there will be people complaining about being rammed off the track, but for me that is all part of the fun of online play, dodging the inexperienced or deliberately destructive players and still winning or finnishing well.
 
I guess its like real life then.................newbies that just got there licence running around in riced out hondas, hitting random people.

"GT4 THE ULTIMATE REAL LIFE SIM!"
 
I'm positive that this game will exceed everything else we've seen and played.. :) The online mode is still in development, and instead of putting the whole game on hold, they release GT4 as soon as they possibly can.. which is very good.. I would be really angry and disappointed if they decided to release GT4 next year, or even later, because of the problems related to the online mode.. :yuck: sure, it would definetely be the ultimate inclusion, but I think I would be even more angry if they released a flawless game, only to discover the online mode and experience the most twitchy and "rushed" part of GT ever.. we would maybe experience lag-issues and cars popping out of nowhere.. :scared:

So I'm thrilled to see they now can focus on polishing the final product, add more tracks and cars (did someone say Le Mans and Pontiac Trans Am? :dopey: ), to make this the best game in the series, and finally we even got a sim-approach regarding the physics and handling.. If they could, sometime in the future, even include damage, life would be perfect, for real... :lol:

Just one thing, I hope they removed the time-penalty for hitting the wall and other objects (talking about the Prologue), because my friend is really frustrated, imagine this included in the final GT4, he would never be able to overtake me (not that he can from before either :lol: ).
 
LaBounti
neanderthal
"if the AI in the GT series were anywhere near competent i dont think this would be such a big deal.
if there was more than 6 cars on the grid, same thing, no big deal

but if you are only racing six computer controlled rivals, and they suck it gets old pretty quickly."


So how did you get this far into the series if all those thngs bother you? So all you are saying is online or nothing. you're on a small boat heading down a shallow river my friend.



i dont see how anything i said represents an all or nothing attitude about the game.
if you satisfy the conditions ('if, .. AI competent' and "if, ..more than six cars") you can see that the last sentence would not be true. dumbass. :dunce: i even clearly say so at the end of each sentence; 'it would be no big deal."

when GT3 hit the shelves i was very excited, the scenery and graphics were in a whole new league, the sounds and so on. the racing was the same, and i enjoyed it, because i knew that i would find a series that i liked and race that a lot. sure enough, i found that in the GT500 championship, if you use a JGTC GT500 car with no engine mods, its almost enough to make it a competitive series. you still win, but just barely, regardless if you use the skyline, supra or NSX. as i did it over and over again, i found i could take more time out of the AI and found that the 3 cars had different strengths and favoured different tracks. eventually i was winning the series comfortaby, albeit losing at certain tracks. but even in that losing, i would normally be second since the AI sucks

i went to a GT party and sure enough with one of those 3 cars, on any of the tracks used in that championship, i was a contender, but with anything else on any other track i was a poser.

its gonna be the same for the new game when it comes out. if the AI sucks and there is only six cars (i think that is confirmed!) its gonna be pretty but boring until i find that series where running a near standard engine is going to be cometitive.

the problem with the AI is that they are set up to brake and corner very conservatively. they can accelerate fast enough, and maintain that straight line speed. they suck at avoiding other cars, they suck at braking and turning. if those threee things have been fixed i wont need online at all. as it is, online is where i can expect competent braking, turning and collision avoidance.
 
I am dissapointed about the online, but PD always does things for the better. Its true though, everyone seems kinda pissed, but when its released, everyone is going to be all over the game
 
soldiaboy
I am dissapointed about the online, but PD always does things for the better. Its true though, everyone seems kinda pissed, but when its released, everyone is going to be all over the game

Very, very true..
 
Yeah I had a nightmare last night that when I woke up and turned GT4 on I found out it'd become too expensive to drive the races I wanted to.

PD had apparently predicted, or simulated (if you like ;)) the enormous amount of laps done by all GT4 users.

This 10-fold increase of petrol usage had pushed petroleum prices to go through the roof and PD had simulated a dramatic increase in the petrol cost for us to refill our virtual cars making racing them very expensive...

hehehe
 
I am dissapointed about the online, but PD always does things for the better. Its true though, everyone seems kinda pissed, but when its released, everyone is going to be all over the game
True, true. I'm not very pissed tho. Just now the forza-boys have something to brag about. And rightfully so.
 
Back