Sound Off! Aren't We Forgetting Something?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 130 comments
  • 5,741 views
Creep666
I didn't see the point in online play in GT4 anyway. It's such a huge game in single player mode, you'd spend more time trying to beat it and get cars and stuff, than racing online and getting frusterated with the cheaters hitting you and stuff. I personally was hoping they wouldn't implement online mode into GT4...and they didn't, more room for something else.. :)

Obviously from your Post here, you fall into the category of GT gamer that, preferes to concentrate on seeing and winning everything, rather than one that focuses on the racing.
The point of online play is to race, To race against real people, people like those on these boards, far more entertaining than any AI, clans or groups would have sprung up that would help you to avoid cheaters and PD could have employed a rating system.
The whole point of gran turismo, is to purchase cars tune them and tweak them, learn to drive them, then finally to race them.
So far the last aspect of the game has been a little mediocre, obviously to those who prefer to 'See it all', this is of little consequence.
But to those whose Focus is on the racing, Having the greatest car and track line up soon becomes irrelevant if there are no descent opponents to race against, and It is here where having online racing has a point.
 
GTXLR
Obviously from your Post here, you fall into the category of GT gamer that, preferes to concentrate on seeing and winning everything, rather than one that focuses on the racing.
The point of online play is to race, To race against real people, people like those on these boards, far more entertaining than any AI, clans or groups would have sprung up that would help you to avoid cheaters and PD could have employed a rating system.
The whole point of gran turismo, is to purchase cars tune them and tweak them, learn to drive them, then finally to race them.
So far the last aspect of the game has been a little mediocre, obviously to those who prefer to 'See it all', this is of little consequence.
But to those whose Focus is on the racing, Having the greatest car and track line up soon becomes irrelevant if there are no descent opponents to race against, and It is here where having online racing has a point.

I agree but think of those people around here who can't afford to play online (like me) :D
 
Cosmic
I agree but think of those people around here who can't afford to play online (like me) :D

Sorry for those that cant afford broadband,but in the Uk broadband is now almost as cheap as lowband, mostly set with a limit.
My old 56k subscription used to be £14.99, you can now get 512k 1.5gig limit for £17.99 or 1megabit 6gig limit for £21.99, and the network adaptor is hardly expensive at around £17, for most the extra expense would be minimal, and it would have been well worth it to take The PS2s best racer online.
 
GTXLR
..., for most the extra expense would be minimal, and it would have been well worth it to take The PS2s best racer online.

thanks for the complement! :)
 
Man, I had a chance to check out "X-Play" as it talked about Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. The PS2 version got a "3 out of 5" rating and as Morgan Webb put it, "...unlike the XBOX version, the PS2 version does not have online play." Now, I can understand why online play is good. It's because you face off against other human opponents from elsewhere. I, however, don't know of any good opposition outside of Houston, TX, USA... much less America and the rest of the world. So I'm more like taking on opposition old-school style: invite them to your house and play them. That's the old school way. Did this for fighting games, still do for racing games... I'm pretty much an old-schooler and never forget games other than multiplayer elements. Same when for all the ass-kicking in the Street Fighter series, all the frantic action in my favorite non-simulation arcade racer "Mario Kart Double Dash," I'm an old-school gamer. Well, old-school style at least.

Most of the competition I dealt with was mostly family members of mine. I never had a friend of mine play me in a game. But still. It's all about the game, and I haven't forgotten anything about GT4's capabilities and features. And think about it like this. If you're a guy, would you love a girl because of her looks, or do you love her because she's friendly and caring? Can a really ugly girl be the friendliest? Can a really beautiful girl be the most evil? If you love Gran Turismo, you learn to take the good with the bad. And of course, there's adjustments made either every now and then, or altogether. I don't think GT was really known for the 2-player competitive nature. What I was at "Hot Import Nights" last year, there was this two-player game setup for GT3. That was cool because it was a two-player setup, and I don't think I competed on i-Link that time, so I couldn't tell if I was in multiplayer action or not. Anyhow, multiplayer action is fun, but in your view, WHY does multiplay outweigh regular solo gameplay? What's your view?
 
The other thing I consider in this is that GT has never had an online mode... So how can I "miss" something that's never been there?
 
Hey, hey, hey... easy on Lady McLaren!

On the premise of online play, I'm not saying that coming up with online play for a game not really known for head-to-head split-screen play isn't a bad thing. It's just that... well take it from Mario. Mario has seemed to have been the only game series in history to do well in many different iterations in gaming and have success in all of them. With Shigeru Miyamoto at the helm, he can take "Mr. Nintendo" (Mario) anywhere he wants. Mario could race a kart, take down a big gorilla, take down a giant turtle, and my favorite aspect since Super Mario 64- fight (which was missing from "Super Mario Sunshine"). As this relate to Gran Turismo, don't expect to have a Gran Turismo bishoujo game (Japanese translation is "pretty girl," I believe) where to win races, you date pretty girls to get better cars. Don't expect to see a Grand Theft Auto-style game of Gran Turismo where if you ram someone off the road, you can beat up and take the opponent's car then move on (unless the cops follow you... then the SWAT Team... then the FBI... then the Army). Instead, PD wanted to get in on the online play thing and give GT gamers a chance to take their racing rivalries online. With the problems with the online infrastructure, PD decided to work on it for another build of GT4. PD is trying something new here- online play. So it's perfectly fine to try new things. And I think they'll work to make something better to give online racers a chance to get their kicks in, especially GT racers. Now keep in mind, you'll get LAN play, so don't overrule any chances of inviting people over to play. If you can come up with an area and a way to allow six players to play simotaneously, more power to you. If you think about it, if you can get 6 PS2s, 6 copies of GT4, and 6 dedicated racers, you'll have an online battle even if you can't play all over the world. So if you want to play online, don't hesitate to improvise. You dig?
 
If you've never played any of the good PC racing sims online, you probably can't understand all the fuss over the lack of online play in GT4. I've only 'raced' online twice, on one of Papyrus's NASCAR games, but i can tell you now, not only does it make a potentially monotonous game (oval racing) a fantastic gaming experience unlike any i've come across in years and years of GranTurismo playing, but having experienced the real thing i can say that when you are sat on the start line waiting for the lights to change you get almost exactly the same feeling, raised heart-rate, sweaty palms etc, as you do sat in a real car on a real startline.

I don't want this to turn into a PC sim vs. GranTurismo answer but i could'nt say whether this was due to the fact that i was playing a much more realistic simulator, and being pitched against over 30 other online players (as opposed to GT's 6) or whether it was purely because i was playing against 'real' people.

Most of the pleasure that comes from online play i suspect comes from that human wish to be competitive. An A.I. opponant doesn't care if you beat him or not, and you don't feel like you've acheived much if you win against a field of A.I. drones. There is no 'sportsmanship' when you race against a computer, you can't pull-off a cheaky passing move that pisses-off A.I. enough to make futher mistakes, and you can't expect to benifit from clashes between A.I. cars ahead of you.
 
JohnBM01
WHY does multiplay outweigh regular solo gameplay? What's your view?

It doesnt outweigh it,but it would be the icing on the cake.
Online GT4 would have been a major enhancement to the series, and am deeply saddened at its demise. However for the most part my gaming would have consisted of offline play, working through the game getting cars tuning them and setting them up for each track and learning the lines, but eventually I would have felt the need to take my work online, to compete using my experience, with others where we can all show our metal.
Would i care if i lost, 'no', to partake in an event and compare your ability to others, then to have the banter and chat after, would be far more satisfying than getting 100%

You can shove your old school, Ive been gaming old school since the early 80s, its time to move on.
Technology has brought us a medium where we could and should be gaming against others from all over the world, all in real time and without split screen, and yet I hear far too many naysayers of the online experience, mostly from those who have never tried it.

Besides how often can you get more than 2 people who are as into GT racing, as yourself along with the necessary set up, for me i only managed that once in GT3.
 
JohnBM01
It angers many GT fans that online play won't be possible this year. What angers most of us others is the fact that we're suddenly neglecting the fact that GT4 will have new cars, tracks, and features. So don't tell me that GT4 is just going to be... another GT. Have we forgotten about the new physics engine? Have we forgotten about multitudes of manufacters? Have we forgotten about Photo Mode, where you can flash photos of cars ranging from the Mini Cooper to the McLaren F1? Have we forgotten the inclusion of Nurburgring Nords, New York, Hong Kong, and Fuji among others? What about an element our own CobraGT focuses on- the human element?

GTPlanet, this "Sound Off!" is in reaction to something I've posted a time or two elsewhere. You see, amid all of the insanity as Kazunori Yamauchi reported that online play will not happen this year. That's final. But this topic is not directly related to online play. Instead, this is an alternative question that presses an issue some of us may not want to consider. As you can tell, I'm also disappointed that GT race fans who love online play will not be able to take on opposition online, at least not this year. I'm not against that. All I'm against is people don't think about what GT4 has to offer besides online play. If you think this is only another racing game, you're sadly mistaken. As one person said, "GT4 is not a cheap thrills wh*re."

So it's time to sound off again, GTPlanet. The issue: "aren't we forgetting about what GT4 has to offer BESIDES online play?" What were points that I made in other threads is now its own discussion. So let's commence the sound off!


"sounds" to me like this is a post to get attention, and it's a completley useless post.
it allmost sounds like you're making money of GT4, it's been said repeadetly, GT4 is a good game because all it has to offer, evryone knows this. but it would've been better with online play, regardless if you think so or not. get it?

you don't need to excuse PD for shiping an incomplete game, they messed up, deal with it. the game is still good, but what the hell does that have to do with the omision of online play?
 
silviadrifter
I'm perfectly happy with a non-online version of GT4... I'm glad PD didn't sacrifice the offline content just so people could race online... I will get plenty of enjoyment out of Simulation mode, just like I have with every game in the GT series...

I'll buy the online version as well, but the offline content is what keeps me buying GT games...


;)


yes, i bet you'll be playing with photomode for like 20 minutes then never touch it again... good thing they included photo mode instead of head to head racing right? i mean, who in his right mind would prefer to PLAY the game instead of just watch photos?
ahh, those hopeless fools, games aren't meant to be played!
 
Yes, we get the point that you are upset at online not being included.
 
SaintKamus
yes, i bet you'll be playing with photomode for like 20 minutes then never touch it again... good thing they included photo mode instead of head to head racing right? i mean, who in his right mind would prefer to PLAY the game instead of just watch photos?
ahh, those hopeless fools, games aren't meant to be played....
( I continue).....online.
 
One thing that has been completely omitted in this discussion is how we are potentially getting ripped off by having to buy another game just to be able to race online when originally this feature was to be included. The only way it wouldn't be a rip-off would be for PD/Sony to include a ton of new features (cars, tracks, etc.) along with online play in GT4 pt. 2, or conversely charge a nominal fee for the online, not a full game price.
 
bigmike04
One thing that has been completely omitted in this discussion is how we are potentially getting ripped off by having to buy another game just to be able to race online when originally this feature was to be included. The only way it wouldn't be a rip-off would be for PD/Sony to include a ton of new features (cars, tracks, etc.) along with online play in GT4 pt. 2, or conversely charge a nominal fee for the online, not a full game price.

I hope PD just comes out with an online disc that will use your current GT4 memory card, and when you turn the game on, all you can do is go to online and other options. If they sell it for 20 bucks, then i would get it, but i'll be mad if they come out with a whole new game with online added to it. Then if you didn't want to play online, then you would just switch discs.
 
Cagedheat
thanks for the complement! :)

Caged are you suggesting your the PS2s best racer.
Shame well have to wait a year to find out :)
 
Klostrophobic
Butter? Have you not seen Seinfeld?!

Off with her head.

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Srry, I dont watch Seinfeld! :O

Anyways! Back on TOPIC! :O:O:O :crazy:

I still think that GT4 will still sell well regardless of no online play. The sell will mostly come from GT fans of the past and the new ones that got in on GT3. I am also certain that GT fans can convince non GT fans to buy this game even if they could be a Project Gotham fan. :O:O
As a matter of fact...do anyone know the majority of PS2 owners acutally play online with their PS2? Maybe PD decided that online shouldnt be THAT important because of the numbers of people who play online with their PS2 isnt high, just low. But once again, just adding in online play to this game COULD make the jump in numbers! :O:O:O:crazy::drool:
 
That's kind of a good point, RacingFreak. This reminds me of when my mother bought me "Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution." I was thinking that when I played this game that my existing VF4 data would be compatible with VF4E, apparentely, it wasn't. I had to play a new game and get rid of my VF4 data. I think that with the online version, I have a few situations which may arise prior to the release of GT4 with online play: (1) the GT4 with broader online play capabilities will maybe have extra features, just to make people buy the game to enjoy the ultimate experience apart from the original build. (2) GT4, however, shouldn't be a totally-new GT game. What happens if GT4 features a few new cars not found in GT4? What if this GT4 had Le Mans or something? If this happens, GT gamers who don't want online just don't want to have an online-enabled version even for the pleasure of a few new cars and tracks. After all, I think when GT4 is released, they will still be working the online play. PD hasn't forgotten, my friends. Who knows? Fixing GT4's online problems can be fixed whether it's 5 seconds, 5 minutes, five months, 5 years, 5 decades... whatever. But rest assured, sorry if I sound like I'm kissing ass, but I'm sure GT4 will resolve these issues and pleasure us GT fans with the online racing many of us were jonesing for.
 
if the game ships with a lan option online play may be possible

i use a tunneling program for my pc called "kai"

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

& they rekon if gt4 has lan play they will support it.I know its not like having an official online mode but it is better than nothing !!!

i have tested the program on various games & i have had no lag problems at all.

i guess we will just have 2 wait till the game gets released to find out if we can play it this way!!!

thanks for reading guys

kattcool

:D
 
John just imagine, that PD add a few new tracks and finally get Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini, and pack em all on the New online disc and release it at full price.
 
Full PRICE? I would never pay more than 40dollars (canadian) for a disc only comprised of a couple more cars and an "online mode" then ontop of that by a network adaptor.
 
Homer_SS
Full PRICE? I would never pay more than 40dollars (canadian) for a disc only comprised of a couple more cars and an "online mode" then ontop of that by a network adaptor.

ahh, but lots of people would.

cha-ching.

It's a license to print money.
 
Homer_SS
Full PRICE? I would never pay more than 40dollars (canadian) for a disc only comprised of a couple more cars and an "online mode" then ontop of that by a network adaptor.

Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I would! :O:O:O I would want any disc that would SQUEEZE in any manufactors that didnt make it in the original GT4! :O AND I WOULD STILL spend 49.99 for the extra disc that have JUST to add "McLaren LTD." :O:O:O ooOOoo McCutey! :O:O :crazy:
 
McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I would! :O:O:O I would want any disc that would SQUEEZE in any manufactors that didnt make it in the original GT4! :O AND I WOULD STILL spend 49.99 for the extra disc that have JUST to add "McLaren LTD." :O:O:O ooOOoo McCutey! :O:O :crazy:

question is:

Would you spend that much money if you had other, complete games to buy?

And it would depend if you you have the money to burn as well.

People have bills to pay and myriad other expenses, so I don't think a person would be considered "cheap" if they were turned off by the idea of being charged full admission for what is, at the very least, a patch, and at most an expansion.
 
Sigh.............................. were such blind followers!
Its like herding cows to slaughter house.
Us beingthe cows, Polyphony being the shepard, and the game stores as the sluaghter houses. :(
 
<sarcasm> /me awards kinigitt 25 points for getting the word myriad into a thread... </sarcasm>

:) ;)
 
Back