Official Mission Hall Thread (help, hints, general discussion, etc.)

• Thread starter justin_tyme
  • 1,545 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
A mere two weeks and much coursework - of course i haven't.... yet. i've got 36% complete in that time though, not bad by all acounts...

I'm bloody struggling with missions 25-29. I've done 25 and 27,, haven't tried 28 or 29 yet because 26 is really giving me headache, i just don't seem to be able to make time up. I'm fairly certain i'm losing all my time in the first section as my driving seems pretty tight after that. I think it's the 90s wait that keeps putting me off, just need more practice i guess the mazda one gave me a real headache until i had a blinding lap and managed to clear it with over a second to spare.

my best lap time so far for the ring is 6mins 4s, once i've done 25-29 i'm gonna spend an hour or so getting that to below 6minutes.

On the 3 Lap Battles I have noticed it helps to do one attempt and then to watch the replay to see what the lead car does. Naturally, your cornering speeds should be higher, but it is still something to build on...

By the way, why the inconsistencies in the difficulty levels? The New York 3 Lap Battle took me a while and the Paris Opera mission really did my head in, but the Laguna Seca battle was relatively easy and I easily won the Infineon battle by nearly three seconds on my second try, and that with sloppy driving.

Famine
#1 tip for Mission #34

Go and do every licence test which involves the Ring. Do it repeatedly until you get gold on it - specifically the one with the RX-7. THEN do Mission #34.

I was bored one night and started doing S-16 for gold, and it screwed my times up pretty bad for mission #34. My first section was <1'49.6 consistantly and now I'm lucky if I get a 1'50.5 :crazy:

On another note, need a lot more time this weekend to get my times fixed from that. Of course, I'm using the US version which the S-16 test is considerably easier IMO than the japanese. Of course, I never tried the Sauber when I knew the ring so I could be wrong.

Schtopper
I'm bloody struggling with missions 25-29. I've done 25 and 27,, haven't tried 28 or 29 yet because 26 is really giving me headache, i just don't seem to be able to make time up. I'm fairly certain i'm losing all my time in the first section as my driving seems pretty tight after that. I think it's the 90s wait that keeps putting me off, just need more practice i guess the mazda one gave me a real headache until i had a blinding lap and managed to clear it with over a second to spare.

my best lap time so far for the ring is 6mins 4s, once i've done 25-29 i'm gonna spend an hour or so getting that to below 6minutes.

If 26 is the Honda race, my big mistake was not going almost full speed through the early S curves (don't brake so much as let off the gas a little) and brake! brake! brake! EARLY on the big turn back to the left). After figuring that out
(it's probably posted somewhere, I rarely figure anything out on my own), I was able to beat it pretty easily. Hope this helps.

Oh yes - skip the full lap test... :D

It's the sections that are important. The M5 test, RX-7 test, SL500 test and Audi TT test all show you how to do little parts of the track to the limit.

Do anyone wanna post a video of Mission 23 cause i tried all the tips on this forums, but none works.

An no i don't suck cause i have all the license gold.

Darts
Do anyone wanna post a video of Mission 23 cause i tried all the tips on this forums, but none works.

An no i don't suck cause i have all the license gold.

Towards the end of this thread - daan made my video for me! :D

I have the feeling, that the same 🤬 who programmed the Speedster's races, also programmed the hard missions :mad:
I just started the missions and 1 to 9 were way too easy, got to 10 and :grumpy: ..
i guess, 1 out of 10 ain't bad??🤬

I've watched the video but it's not helping at all, it just doesn't happen like that.

On 2:40 in the video the red lead car comes along and drafts and it's not doing that for me, the pack sits there all bunched up and refuses to go past me. It's not even a red car leading when I do it.

I'm four seconds behind the lead car every time - what am I supposed to do??

Famine, just wanted to really thank you for the video! Watched it once, did 23 and finished in 7:03:302 and won by over 1 second. Your video saved my marriage! 👍

Sorry about leaving out daan!

Ax Battler
Did it go exactly like the video when you did it then?

Yes. I did it again after saving and ran it in 7:03:104. I think my big problem before was not believing the AI would catch up. If you stay on the yellow line and get out of his way he will.

i've tried it like 15 times and i still can't do it... i've read how to do it on the first page and also watched the video and actually played the video while racing it to see if i was on pace... however, the AI screws around way too much. i think the white car came up behind me with the black car ahead of it...the white car went to the outside of me and the black car to the inside of my blue car, and the white car hit me and spun me out... That dirty rat bastard!!!!!

well, when i did do it again, i finished about 4 seconds off pace... i guess my steering is too jerky or something like that cause i am using a DS2 and also the AI was being lame again... so i guess i will wait til i get home from college to use my DFP to do it smoother so maybe the AI won't mess around again.... i hope

Probably the best tip I can provide: If the AI's coming up behind you (any number of them) just get the hell out of their way. They're idiots and have a tendencey to rear end you and/or spin you out. Avoid at all costs.

And BTW, ignore everyone who says don't let off the gas. It actually can help if you get too far ahead (especially after turn 1 if you go faster than 172mph). Just dont let your speed drop below 162mph.

84subaruGL
i've tried it like 15 times and i still can't do it... i've read how to do it on the first page and also watched the video and actually played the video while racing it to see if i was on pace... however, the AI screws around way too much. i think the white car came up behind me with the black car ahead of it...the white car went to the outside of me and the black car to the inside of my blue car, and the white car hit me and spun me out... That dirty rat bastard!!!!!

well, when i did do it again, i finished about 4 seconds off pace... i guess my steering is too jerky or something like that cause i am using a DS2 and also the AI was being lame again... so i guess i will wait til i get home from college to use my DFP to do it smoother so maybe the AI won't mess around again.... i hope

I used a DS2. Maybe the AI does not act the same way all the time, but I just followed the yellow line and it just seemed easy. Another thing that helped me a a lot was to use rear view when in the straights so you can get out of the way of the oncoming AI.

One more thing. On the video you can't see it, but the info was on an earlier post by Famine. Never leave 5th gear.

When on the yellow line, you will notice the first car catches up and try to pass you, don't move too much or be too anxious to slipstream it because the second car will pick up even greater speed than the first one. Once the second car catches up, move away and slipstream it. Once you hit the bends, make sure the cars are directly behind you (shave off some speed if they are too far back) and when on the straight again, repeat the same thing. If you are lucky, you will get bumped in the rear for a speed boost while slipstreaming the car in front, getting you up to 285km/hr.

If you want to catch up with that first car, you'll need to bring the whole pack with you. :)

Famine
I've done another run - just a hair over 7'04 - and sent the replay to daan, since my recording skills suck. He's extremely efficient so it won't be long.

You just have to remember four things.
1. Don't brake or change gear.
2. The yellow line is your friend. When not doing anything else, sit your right tyres on it.
3. Drive the straights on inside/reverse view and get out of the AI's way (to the outside) when they're about to pass.
4. Dive down the inside for the first half of the last corner, up to draft AI1 and back down to the inside.

On this run, I actually got mugged by the AI3 and lost about 0.5s through his interference. Bastard.

Thanks to you I won by 0.318 . Thanks

Famine
My "works every time" technique (done it three times now, first time every time) is to never change gear ever. On approach to the first turn, draft and pass underneath the pack, move back to the top yellow line and then switch to in-car/rear view for the straight. Pick a car to allow past - let him slipstream you and then move to the outside to avoid him - he WILL hit you if you don't. Stupid bugger. Flick in behind him, slipstream and pass on the inside on the next turn, then back up to the top yellow line. Keep doing this and you'll spot the yellow GT-R on your third turn. Carry on doing this until the LAST turn.

On the last turn, slipstream and pass on the inside, then stay low until you're approaching the draft zone of the yellow GT-R. Snick up and slipstream him, pass on the inside and stay low again.

You win. Hurrah!

Used this method once and only once beat the lead car by 0.799 seconds.

(when i tried something similar yesterday I was shifting into 6th gear. The other cars just couldnt keep up. And one time I swear they had some kind of demolition derby goin on)

A little "success" story, if it helps to encourage anyone to stick with the missions...

While I was working on the 3 Lap Battle section, I knew I would need a good bit of practice if I wanted to pass Mission 18 at La Sarthe II. Though it is one of my favorite tracks, I just have not spent much time there trying to perfect my lap times. I took it a bit easy on my first attempt to avoid any accidents, so it was no surprise that I finished about 19 seconds behind first place. But once I started pushing harder, the penalties and visits to the gravel trap started to add up. It began to get better as I applied "slow in, fast out," and my dropping lap times reflected this. At one point I even made it into second place, finishing only 0.143 seconds behind the leader, and I surely would have won if I had cut across the final chicane. As my times and consistency began to improve, so did my nervousness, and the mistakes began to mount again. I was catching the Bentley earlier and earlier, for example,--first at the end of Lap 2, then near the Porsche curves, and finally on Indianapolis--but kept getting punted off or making silly mistakes. Finally, I put a fast and consistent enough run--the Panoz approaching Mulsanne on Lap 1, the CLK GTR approaching the final chicane on Lap 1, the Bentley on Indianapolis on Lap 2, the GT One coming out of Karting on Lap 2, and the Sauber coming out of Arnage on Lap 3--to win by over six seconds with a total time of around 9:08.

Then I went to S14 for kicks, to see whether I could apply my new experience to setting a fast lap at La Sarthe I in the Bentley. Previously, I had set a Bronze time of around 3:31 when I first got GT4, and though I was crusing around mostly, it was still a rather poor time. So I had a go and, boom, went nearly half a second fast than the Gold time, and I felt I could have gone at least another second quicker with a good run.

The point of all of this? Practice, practice, practice, no matter what. A little tenth here and there might not seem like much, and it is indeed only a blink of an eye, but the time adds up, and every place where you corner faster or accelerate earlier will give you a time advantage that adds up as well.

By the way, thanks to Famine and Daan. I could only get within two seconds of first place in Mission 23 using bump drafting, so I took a look at the video for inspiration. The first time I fell short by half a second, but on the second try after watching the video I finished first with a 7:02:7, actually passing the lead car on the back straight. What happened was that when one car got a run on me, a second followed close behind. The second was of course even faster than the first and passed it a short time after both had passed me, so I first tucked in behind one and then the other. Often even a third car would try to get by but then run into me, also getting me a few extra mph.

Now only Mission 34 remains...

The video shows the best way. Even if you get far ahead of the pack, keep your right side on the yellow line and eventually the other cars will catch up again. Check your mirrors often to see when they are getting close, and then move over to the right as they get a run on you. In my case, there would always be two cars going by, with a third one close behind. I always drafted the first two, but I guess you could also wait a short while to let the third one pass, and then get an additional burst of speed.

my offer to produce any PAL max replays for any driving mission still remains. PM me which one you would like

Gentry Coach
Famine, just wanted to really thank you for the video! Watched it once, did 23 and finished in 7:03:302 and won by over 1 second. Your video saved my marriage! 👍

:lol:

I'm just the driver - daan did the video. Send him a present on your next anniversary :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back