Please use DECENT grammar!

• Thread starter Gen.
  • 133 comments
bboygen / GTP_Gen
We don't need another idiot-fest where people type in shorthand...
This is a forum after all. On a chatroom, it may be suitable because of the speed you need to type to get a message across. But, this is a forum where you have the chance to check your spelling/grammar. There is NO rush to type in shorthand.

And if you disagree with me on this topic, I suggest you go read the TOS. Disagree with the TOS too? Bye then.... The forum does not need idiots.

MdnIte
We don't need another idiot-fest where people type in shorthand...
This is a forum after all. On a chatroom, it may be suitable because of the speed you need to type to get a message across. But, this is a forum where you have the chance to check your spelling/grammar. There is NO rush to type in shorthand.

And if you disagree with me on this topic, I suggest you go read the AUP. Disagree with the AUP too? Bye then.... The forum does not need idiots.

Good stuff bud!

BTW, good to see you again!

I agree, I've been skimming through some post and its sad how some people type. It gives me a major headache.

Otherwise, if English is not their first language, then I can understand since english is my 4th language. :)

That's the real problem - English can be hard enough to understand when it is your second or third language. Adding deliberate illiteracy just makes it even harder, and it makes you wonder why you should bother to wade through it. It really just gives the world a really bad idea of what drifters are like.

Just so everyone knows, here are the appropriate rules from the Terms of Service:
  • No hard core profanity. Hard core meaning use of the "F" word and words commonly associated with body parts. Violating this rule will be considered grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the board.

• No slang words that promote laziness, ie; "r", "u", "plz", etc.

• Half decent grammar is expected. Use of capital letters starting sentences is looked upon favorably. Spelling half decently is also encouraged.
People may say "but it's just a stupid internet forum." That's true - but your words here are the only way people have to judge you.

neon_duke
That's the real problem - English can be hard enough to understand when it is your second or third language. Adding deliberate illiteracy just makes it even harder, and it makes you wonder why you should bother to wade through it. It really just gives the world a really bad idea of what drifters are like.

Just so everyone knows, here are the appropriate rules from the Terms of Service:
  • No hard core profanity. Hard core meaning use of the "F" word and words commonly associated with body parts. Violating this rule will be considered grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the board.

• No slang words that promote laziness, ie; "r", "u", "plz", etc.

• Half decent grammar is expected. Use of capital letters starting sentences is looked upon favorably. Spelling half decently is also encouraged.
People may say "but it's just a stupid internet forum." That's true - but your words here are the only way people have to judge you.

We'll all whip this fourm into shape if anything goes wrong. Where starting fresh, again, i hope to see this fourm, grow and become just as great as the GT3 drifitng fourm

I'm with you guys on the battle VS bad grammer.

You can usually tell between someone that is actually trying to speak English and someone who can speak English but chose to be lazy.

Correct, and nobody much makes fun of people who are not using English as their native language. But purposely poor grammar makes it hard to read for native English speakers - and twice as hard for others. And for what reason? Because it's supposed to sound cool?

RX-7_FC_DrIfteR
We'll all whip this fourm into shape if anything goes wrong. Where starting fresh, again, i hope to see this fourm, grow and become just as great as the GT3 drifitng fourm

I'm with you guys on the battle VS bad grammer.
RX-7_FC_DrIfteR you forgot to but a capital 'I' after 'again' and you forgot to put a full stop at the end of the sentence. ;) :D

neon_duke
Correct, and nobody much makes fun of people who are not using English as their native language. But purposely poor grammar makes it hard to read for native English speakers - and twice as hard for others. And for what reason? Because it's supposed to sound cool?
No , not beacuse it sounds cool, belive me, it's much faster to write in that way then a normal way like this ;)

People are using mobile phones so much nowadays I suppose they would type like that normaly.

Well since i'm probably one of the people who uses "u", "r", and doesn't capitalize a lot....SORRY....however, how about trying to understand that some people like to type phonetically because it is easier and when you read posts, most people really should not need to read the content word for word. One need only to skim and not read too deep. "u r a terrible driver cuz u dont use ur turnsignals".....what's so hard to read about that? It takes so much less effort to type that than write it all out with caps and correct punctuation....afterall we are not in gradeschool here. We choose to write like this because it suits our typing style as well as our way of thinking and percieving. A person does not need to read all the letters of a word...just the first and last. They only need to skim the middle and they get the jist unless English is not their first language. It's my 3rd and I have no problems reading shorthand or regular....people's preference so dont complain....it's not like it's the end of the world. Next time you read posts like the ones i put out, try skimming and saying the sentences in your head....it works quite well.

wow i typed all of that in proper english minus the "....." when i dont feel like finishing sentences.

Izanagi, this is an international forum, theres an awful lot of people who don't speak English as a first language, how is somone supposed to understan what you mean when you say "r u ok, ill c u 2nite thn we go 4 d film" when they may struggle to understand what they've been taught... English. Even if you don't have a problem understanding that don't be ignorant to the fact that a lot of other won't be able to.

On top of that I prefer to see posts written properly, it's one of the many things that makes this site a great one and not just a good one. Also it's all in the AUP and so people complaining about you for example, typing like that isn't them being difficult, it's you breaking the rules.

:lol: At least he is acknowledging that he is typing like that. The reason that I put this thread up is the amount of shorthand in the Gt4 forum. Try reading 4-5 pages full of "OmG its lke dis car iz so krazy broooOO...." It's one hell of a head trip.

Changed ready to reading... My bad =/

*snore*....Look, tough luck....I go to other "international forums" and I have problems too with some of the newest German, French, and Romanian, even though I speak all of them aside from English. But you know what, that's the way it is nowadays so I understand if you don't like it but give it a break. You are not going to change how people type just because you don't like to read shorthand. Look....I can't believe you guys got me to type properlly again....*ick*

As for kicking people off the forums because they type in shorthand and don't abide by the AUP....well good luck with that....thats a heck of a lot of people!

One more thing....I can't believe that some 16 year old kid is complaining about people's grammar....must have had a pretty proper upbringing huh? Mom and Dad wash ur mouth out with soap and rap your knuckles when you swear or type in anything other than "proper" English?

Izanagi, it's like this. If you don't want anyone to ever take you seriously, type like you don't care. However, if you have respect for yourself and others then taking the extra 15 seconds per post to actually type out the thought really isn't any effort at all and EVERYONE wins.

When veterans see someone doing the standard internet speak, I classify that person as a noob and hope that it's their first or second post. When it's not and they continue to post in that fashion, it just brings down the whole level of the thread. I'm sorry, but it's simply a very juvenile and selfish thing to want to post like "r, u, pls"

BTW, that was not just directed at Izanagi, that's to everyone that thinks it's "easier" to type lazily.

Your not understanding, what we think isn't the main factor here, it's the AUP, it's what you agreed on when you registered with this site, part of it was posted by Neon Duke earlier and also typing like that is selfish, it's preventing people who don't understand shorthand from understanding it. It takes a few extra hunderedths of a second to type "you" instead of "u".

Ok, lets just drop this because 1. I'm sick of constantly having to go back and fix stuff i write just to make my posts "proper" and 2. This is going nowhere....it's not like I'm going to back down and I'm pretty sure you guys will keep waving your AUP crap at me so let's just stop and leave this post alone. I'm not gonna say anything on this thread anymore and I'll try my best to make "proper" posts to keep u kids from whining. Have a nice day 👍

MdnIte
:lol: At least he is acknowledging that he is typing like that. The reason that I put this thread up is the amount of shorthand in the Gt4 forum. Try ready 4-5 pages full of "OmG its lke dis car iz so krazy broooOO...." It's one hell of a head trip.

Good point. I can just imagine how that must look to someone who doesn't normally speak or read English.

I can spot the difference easily enough.. non-English speakers usually make the same sort of mistakes in spelling and grammar, and are fairly easy to spot. At least they're trying.. But the lazy folks are just as easy to spot, and yet it's quite clear that they're NOT trying to speak/type properly. There's a difference between making a mistake in spelling or grammar and just not caring about it.

That's okay. I remember, back in first grade. When they tried to teach me how to write, I refused at first too.

They would tell me to write the word fish, and I'd draw a fish. "What's up with all these adult morons drawing everything in letters?" is what I thought.

It was so cool.

Izanagi
This is going nowhere....it's not like I'm going to back down and I'm pretty sure you guys will keep waving your AUP crap
My AUP crap, I think you'll find I didn't wrinte the AUP, in fact the only thing I have to do with the AUP is that I agreed to it just like you. It's up to you if you start using decent grammar but if you willingly don't, I wouldn't be suprised to get a warning of a moderator and tbh if you think that it's worth risking getting banned over (because on the third warning your out) then I don't think this is the site for you.

Izanagi
One more thing....I can't believe that some 16 year old kid is complaining about people's grammar....must have had a pretty proper upbringing huh? Mom and Dad wash ur mouth out with soap and rap your knuckles when you swear or type in anything other than "proper" English?
And whichever member your referring to here, a 16 year old promoting the use of proper grammar is a good thing and your comment would be classed as a personal attack on his upbringing so I suggest you refraing from doing that in the future.

God, i'm loving this place already.

Just think....next week, we'll have to repeat everything all over again....by a tenfold.

Izanagi
One more thing....I can't believe that some 16 year old kid is complaining about people's grammar

Thats odd - when I read peoples posts, I get an overall impression of them, and am usually able to guess the demographics they fit in. For some reason, I must have been off you will, as I had the impression that you were between 14 and 17 years old.

My mistake - I wonder why that is?

When i see GT3 Drifting Forum, it seems a lot of new members don't know how to spell many words in english, but i'll watch every topics and see what's going on.

Back