Please use DECENT grammar!

• Thread starter Gen.
  • 133 comments
petsmart
This is pointless.......Get Over It People!!!! You wadi son ned 2 clm dwn typ shrt hnd al nght lng 2 anoy u al shrt hnd cool some people cant help it and do cause its second nature 2 them so just get over it and i know everyone cant say i dont type in short hand everyone has done it also sometimes typing in short hand makes everything a little easier 2 read instead of a dang paragraph ........short and simple
Come on. I'm 14 and I can speak "Proper English". Honestly I really get ticked off with people sending posts written like that. I didn't understand anything at the start of it.

Good thing, having this out so everyone can see it. Its amazing how some people actually think it is easier to read short hand...

It took me twice as long to read Petsmart's post as it took for me to read Neon_Duke's post. And I couldn't read or write till I was ten years old pretty much.

While I am not one of the two fingers and a thumb typers, its not that much of a difference in speed actually. I go back, correct things, attempt to avoid using IM short cuts (such as "thru" and "IMO"), and have proper puncutation.

Now, my spelling is not always the best, and that has to do with the fact that I didn't really learn phoenics or however it is spelled. I understand the idea, but I don't much use it. Which makes those phoenetic short cuts even more annoying for me.

One last thing... two spaces typically follow the period at the end of a sentence. Most members seem to use one only. Just wondering if this is a new typing convention, as I've seen some students use this when I have gone over their papers for them.

And just for reference, I am 19. If that actually means anything to anyone :P

EDIT: It took me less than 5 minutes to type that, with me going back and fixing typos. Also, I was talking with someone over MSN at the same time, so that ate up a bit of time as well. Seriously, it takes pretty much the same time to talk with "proper" English as it does for the "AOL kid speak."

I don't have a problem with the occasional misspelled word, as long as the poster is making an attempt to use something that resembles normal conversational English.

Folks that use "shorthand" when they are perfectly able to write complete sentences are just lazy and demonstrating the lack of character in their "online" personas.

I worry that maybe things might get a li'l fascist 'round here. I have moderated other boards, and used to have a small section here (One Lap of GT2). While I concur that posts should be legible and easilly interpreted by non-l33t readers, I also believe that it's WAY too easy to go overboard.
Personally, I usually type 'bout the same as I speak. I drop the same letters, use the same contractions, etcetera. Occasionally, I use an AFAIK, or IMAO, but I use "you are" intead of "u r".
I am concerned that even this may be considered unacceptable by some. No offense, but last I checked, we had real people here, not a bunch of Oxford University English professors. The trick is, where is the line? Linguistic fascism? Teeange 'net chaos? Somewhere in between?:boggled:

I type the way I talk, mostly. If I cut a word short, such as because... it becomes 'cause, do not becomes don't.

Some simply things, such as to and too... can lead to mis understandings though. For example: "Rally to hightech," which is part of a thread title, made me think rally was moving towards high tech, when the author meant "Rally too hightech." So, simple things can lead to rather gross misunderstandings.

Also, what does AFAIK and IMAO mean? IMO I know means "in my opinion," but IMAO? And paragraph breaks were created for a reason ;)

LMAO = Laughing my ass off
Never heard of AFAIK.. Closest thing I can think of is AFK = Away from keyboard.

Well, never having joined the mobile phone brigade (it has its advantages to be out of touch occasionally) I have never got into the habit of abbreviating words to speed things up. I agree with one of the earlier posts.

It may take less time to write, but it took me a lot longer to read than normal English and I still don't understand some of it.

I am pretty much of the two fingers and thumb typing "brigade". I can to an extent touch type even using that method (way too many years using a keyboard I think... I'm a programmer).

IMAO = In My Arrogant Opinion. I use this often elsewhere, so I'm honestly surprised nobody knew that. I guess that's why some acronyms and abreviations shouldn't be allowed. However, that goes back to, "Where do we draw the line?". I mean, if taken to extremes, we should ding people for typing "GT" instead of "Gran Turismo".

jervinator
I usually type 'bout the same as I speak. I drop the same letters, use the same contractions, etcetera. Occasionally, I use an AFAIK, or IMAO, but I use "you are" intead of "u r".
I am concerned that even this may be considered unacceptable by some. No offense, but last I checked, we had real people here, not a bunch of Oxford University English professors. The trick is, where is the line? Linguistic fascism? Teeange 'net chaos? Somewhere in between?:boggled:
Well, it's a judgement call. Some abbreviations here and there like you describe are perfectly acceptable and are never going to present a problem, particularly not in the context of an otherwise-legible post.

AFAIK or IMHO represent a substantial savings in typing. Plus, acronyms like that are usually typed in all caps, which makes it easier for the eye to pick up and the brain to process. But substituting ur for your in lowercase letters in the middle of a sentence like this makes it very hard to pick out the meaning... and saves precisely two keystrokes.

Nobody who types like that is smart enough that their brain is being held up by slow fingers having to type two extra keystrokes.

I'd like to add something: If one person tells someone to used proper grammar, that's enough. I don't want, and I'm sure others don't want to read like 50 responses saying to type properly. It gets really annoying. Don't pollute the forums with forcing people to talk properly. There will always be lazy people out there. We don't need 40 people calling them a n00b for being lazy.

Event Horizon
I'd like to add something: If one person tells someone to used proper grammar, that's enough. I don't want, and I'm sure others don't want to read like 50 responses saying to type properly. It gets really annoying. Don't pollute the forums with forcing people to talk properly. There will always be lazy people out there. We don't need 40 people calling them a n00b for being lazy.

Hmm....but is it ok for 40 noobs to blast the one person for trying to keep the forums legible? I'm just looking at it from both sides.

I see your point as it may be like beating a dead horse. But sometimes, people need things beaten into them!

Those beatings are a large part of what kept me from GT Planet for a while. With so many members, ANYTHING you say is likely to offend at least forty or fifty quite vocal people.

Most people do it just to fit in. There are several excellent examples of that right here in the Drift forum.

Can anyone tell me what the flip this means?
Once I Hit 150mph I go :scared: Word To B20 **** Is Too Serious :sly:
Not to single anyone out, but look at the content of any post attached to that sig. I can't understand anything they say, save what I've heard from movies like Fridayor Boyz in the Hood. Compare the drift sections of this site to any other, and you'll see that we're like the special ed classes of GTP. It drives me insane that 95% of the GT drift community is represented by wannabe "hawt azn stuntaz" that act "thuggish".

If you want to know why drifting isn't taken very seriously by the rest of the motorsports comminity, look at 90% of it's fanbase.

It's seriously sad. I almost feel like the decision to make a drift forum goes something like this:

Jordan: Sigh...the drift fans are flooding the forums with their 1337 and nonsensical gibberish again...

Admin Team: Meh, just give them a drift forum. It'll keep them out of the real conversations, and out of our hair.

Jordan: Good idea! I'll get on that!

Drifters: YH3y! J0rd4n iz t3h m4n 4 r33Lz!!!1one

Jordan: *pats drifting fanbase on the head* That's a good boy, now run along and play. Oh! And don't forget your helmet! *under breath to admin team* They're kind of..."special".

:indiff:

Who would really speak like that in real life? I said something similar in a thread about some guy who supposedly worked for Sony. I highly doubt you'd land a job like that if you can't spell your average 3-4 letter word.

We need to vote for an Admin as soon as possible. Or, where the hell is DR!???

We need you man.

Ten, I must say that just made my day.

Thats the major problem with the drift forums image... is how the posters seem to act here.

Some one should make it clear that people take you far more seriously if you can type properly, or at least make a serious attempt at it...

Azuremen
Ten, I must say that just made my day.
Here's the humor part about that post. As I was typing, A New Found Glory's cover of "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg popped up on my playlist. :lol:

MdnIte
We need to vote for an Admin as soon as possible. Or, where the hell is DR!???

We need you man.
This topic is really really strongly under consideration as we speak. Don't worry, we're working on getting somebody in place to help out more than we have been.

In the meantime, good job to those of you who are taking the inititative to keep this place [clean] and focused.

Latest Posts

Back