Please use DECENT grammar!

• Thread starter Gen.
  • 133 comments
Ok...now that I'm a little calmer, I guess I'll apologize to all of you and anyone else who has read this thread for my ugly outbursts. I'm sorry for saying stuff about your parents, MdnIte. I got way too into it. Lack of sleep, slight withdrawl symptoms, and some serious stress at school have been wearing on me really bad and I guess I let it out on you and others on this thread. I don't want you guys to think of me too badly. I'm really not like what you guys probably think I'm like after today. Just go look at my other posts and see. I don't know, I just lost it when I read the thing about typing correctly. I'm so used to typing in shorthand that now, trying to type like I am now is a real challenge. Oh well....I'll try to do better on GTP. Same with Swift, Live4Speed, and all the other people I have offended. I hope you guys will forgive me and over time, realize I'm not the jerk you probably think I am. Take it easy guys.

Actually Flerbizky is right, because effing starts with a vowel you should put "an" before it. I think thats right anyway. Not too important since it has little to do with the main subject here which is lazy typing.

Izanagi
Ok...now that I'm a little calmer, I guess I'll apologize to all of you and anyone else who has read this thread for my ugly outbursts. I'm sorry for saying stuff about your parents, MdnIte. I got way too into it. Lack of sleep, slight withdrawl symptoms, and some serious stress at school have been wearing on me really bad and I guess I let it out on you and others on this thread. I don't want you guys to think of me too badly. I'm really not like what you guys probably think I'm like after today. Just go look at my other posts and see. I don't know, I just lost it when I read the thing about typing correctly. I'm so used to typing in shorthand that now, trying to type like I am now is a real challenge. Oh well....I'll try to do better on GTP. Same with Swift, Live4Speed, and all the other people I have offended. I hope you guys will forgive me and over time, realize I'm not the jerk you probably think I am. Take it easy guys.
No problem mate, I fully understand what it can be like to be tired. The important thing is that your willing to accept you do it from time to time and that you apologised for the little go at MdnIte. Sounds like you need some sleep though like me :).

I wrote a paper this morning from 2 am to 6:15 and that's after a weekend of people drinking in my dorm and keeping me awake all night, not to mention getting punched in the gut twice by a drunk dude. Every person that talks to me now I feel like laying it out on. Oh well, atleast I don't have to wake up for classes tomorrow so I'll go to sleep early and have a great day tomorrow!

Thanks for being so chill, guys. I have a bad habit of running headlong into proverbial walls and today, I definatly hit one. I have a lot of fun on the GTP forums and the sense of community is definatly a wonderful thing! I just feel bad that I abused it. Well...let's move on and be happy and talk about cars since this is what we're here to do, right?

live4speed
Even if you don't have a problem understanding that don't be ignorant to the fact that a lot of other won't be able to.

You forgot a comma there, I don't have a clue what the hell you are trying to say there. :crazy:

sn00pie
No, because 'effing' is censorship for '****ing'.
I know that, and in that case, "A" is correct - but if you want to keep the sentence coherent and readable, when using a substitute word - Shouldn't it be "an" instead of "a" ?....

:lol: I can't believe we are correcting one another's grammar on the Drift Forum. I'll have to save this thread to my computer and read it when I get really bored so I can get a few good laughs out of it. Keep it up, it's entertaining. I'll try to add my own stuff when I have less homework. Cya guys! 👍

He intended to right the full "****ing" word. Not the substitute word.

My god I hate school keyboards.

Izanagi: I too went through my anger, reflection, and calm periods in this thread. I read your earlier posts and my anger flared that you were so unwilling to understand the point of the thread, and acknowledge the rules of the site. Then I reflected and continued to read the thread instead of going off to issue you a yellow card. I came across your most recent posts and I realized that no warning is needed.

In general: In all honesty, I type about 80 words a minute in proper grammar and punctuation. And that's using just two fingers and a thumb on each hand - I have no idea how to touch-type. It's just not that difficult and it really helps everybody, English-native or not, to understand. It's not worth the extra few seconds it might save to write it incorrectly.

Proper posting and taking the time to correct your mistakes shows pride in what you do and respect for yourself and others who are reading. Isn't that a good thing to promote? Look around and see who the consistently and widely respected members are. I won't name names; see for yourself. Look and see how many of those people type as well as they can, and how many use the so-called 'shortcuts'.

90crxfreak
wat r ur stratagies for drifting?... how do u set up ur car & when driving, how do u hit ur marks?

my cars are usually set up w/ power & weight, usually i would only have a level 1 weight reduction & most of it would be stock cept the motor... since i dont have the money for a steering wheel, i use the controle(duhhh) & (in the fist person veiw "in the car") i try to line up the corner of my screan w/ the turn of the track... yea it sounds weird, but hey... it works really really well

:boggled:

neon_duke
Izanagi: I too went through my anger, reflection, and calm periods in this thread. I read your earlier posts and my anger flared that you were so unwilling to understand the point of the thread, and acknowledge the rules of the site. Then I reflected and continued to read the thread instead of going off to issue you a yellow card. I came across your most recent posts and I realized that no warning is needed.

In general: In all honesty, I type about 80 words a minute in proper grammar and punctuation. And that's using just two fingers and a thumb on each hand - I have no idea how to touch-type. It's just not that difficult and it really helps everybody, English-native or not, to understand. It's not worth the extra few seconds it might save to write it incorrectly.

Proper posting and taking the time to correct your mistakes shows pride in what you do and respect for yourself and others who are reading. Isn't that a good thing to promote? Look around and see who the consistently and widely respected members are. I won't name names; see for yourself. Look and see how many of those people type as well as they can, and how many use the so-called 'shortcuts'.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was having a REALLY bad day but it got better after a bunch of people on my dorm hall made me laugh, along with my apology. That definatly helped. Yeah, I'm one of those 2-finger and thumb typers so I got used to writing in shorthand to speed things up. I totally understand how my tyuping reflects who I am and stuff...you're not the first to tell me about that one :lol: . Well, I'm glad that we got this problem solved and I hope we'll have a lot more fun in the future.

Yeah I agree. It really ticks you off when you see people who talk all slangy and stuff. It's good to see more mature people on these boards compared to the IGN boards. :)

MdnIte
We don't need another idiot-fest where people type in shorthand...
This is a forum after all. On a chatroom, it may be suitable because of the speed you need to type to get a message across. But, this is a forum where you have the chance to check your spelling/grammar. There is NO rush to type in shorthand.

And if you disagree with me on this topic, I suggest you go read the AUP. Disagree with the AUP too? Bye then.... The forum does not need idiots.

I blame texting myself. Damn mobile phones.

Hey great topic to have stickied in this forum. The GT3 Drifting forum got swarmed with everything that this topic is against. So, lets try to keep this board legible. :)

This is pointless.......Get Over It People!!!! You wadi son ned 2 clm dwn typ shrt hnd al nght lng 2 anoy u al shrt hnd cool some people cant help it and do cause its second nature 2 them so just get over it and i know everyone cant say i dont type in short hand everyone has done it also sometimes typing in short hand makes everything a little easier 2 read instead of a dang paragraph ........short and simple

petsmart
This is pointless.......Get Over It People!!!! You wadi son ned 2 clm dwn typ shrt hnd al nght lng 2 anoy u al shrt hnd cool some people cant help it and do cause its second nature 2 them so just get over it and i know everyone cant say i dont type in short hand everyone has done it also sometimes typing in short hand makes everything a little easier 2 read instead of a dang paragraph ........short and simple
I would like to advise that you try your best to type according to the guidelines set in the Acceptable Use Policy which you agreed upon when joining the GTPlanet forums, as there has already been some discussion about disciplinatory actions (on the record) against poor efforts in coherency.

petsmart
Short and simple - you're joking, right?

I literally had to read everything after the exclamation points three times in order to make sense of it. Even after you stopped typing illegibly on purpose and were just typing what you consider normally.

Typing like that never makes it easier to read. I don't care if it's second nature or not. Go back to first nature and look intelligent instead of deliberately looking stupid.

Regardless of that, understand: it's against the rules. The rules are there for several reasons and they will be enforced.

[note] It took me 2':27" to type that, including composing what I wanted to say, typing it with VB formatting, and correcting a few typos. Would it have taken much less time to do it the lazy way?

petsmart
What did you say?
You see. It isn't pointless, it's just your post.

The thing that makes me laugh about this is that people KNOW it coming in. I sure 90% of the members just fly right by the AUP and TOS, but it's still right there. So when a subject like this comes up, certain members get an attitude and act like it wasn't here the whole time. That's just comical.

Good job Neon_Duke, Snoopie and others for setting this guy straight.

It took me too many year of going through school as an idiot and having to go back to adult education to learn how to talk/speak and spell English to be bothered to read most of this short-hand rubbish!

I am also a two finger, one thumb keyboarder of about 50 words a minute that also proof reads all he types, or tries to? And to me typing like seen from several people on this thread (and many others) is just annoying and disrespectful of all the other people reading it.

So personally I think this thread and ones warning people about posting off topic and spamming should be at the top of every forum.

Thank you for listening to/reading an old fart’s ranting, I’m off to have some fun and look at the new drifting video.

Back