Auto or manual?

• Thread starter GM = TRASH
  • 273 comments
Auto, I just can't get used to using shoulder buttons in races, however I usually drift manual especially in slower cars. If I had a wheel I'd probably drive manual but they put the shifter on the wrong side for people who are used driving RHD cars.

Manual. I drove auto in GT3 and the start of GT4, but about a month ago I finally switched over. It's faster and way more fun. I can't believe I ever drove auto.

I go with the manual since the automatic tends to have a hard time shifting down into the next lowest gear when turning some corners (for example, I may slow the car down and the car will shift from five to four, but could still shift one more time to three). A manual will let me shift directly to the gear I want to be in--in this case, third--so I can use the car more effectively.

I have mixed opinions on the automatic setting; I just use it when I feel like it, really.

I cant ever remember using auto ever in my whole gaming life, except just trying it out or forgetting to switch it to manual.

I used auto once... it was with dual player split screen and I couldnt be bothered setting up or sometihng.... oh hang on that was in gt3!

manual from the start

Manual because it gives me complete control of my car. Auto... it's just a crippling virus type thing...

I use manual, its so much better using manual with a wheel. I used to use auto when I used the DS2, but when I go back to DS2 now I use manual.

Manual is the best. automataic is no good it gets boring playing the game with automatic all you just drive around with auto. with manual it better more funner at least you get click the bottons to lower or high the gear and plus it has a faster accleration.

I say the Manual is the best.

I used to play Sega Rally on the Saturn with pad and manual gears, but with GT1-3, before I had the DFP, I played auto. Since I got the DFP and GT4 I swtiched to manual and now can't imagine driving a racer any other way.
Alan

I played with auto till 85%, but you can't make it in the licences with auto I think if you wanna get all golds... and now I use Manual it's more fun to play the game (yes even more then it was with auto :dunce:)

Manual for sure, and have been for a long time. There are a couple of tricks with the manual in some cars though, I think the late model WRX's are one - It's better to short shift and use the torque, than go into the redline and lose power. It's faster to shift just before the redline than to go deep in. This is for the stock cars anyway, it'll probably change once it's tuned.

Automatic does have it's advantages. When playing two player with mates I'll go auto 'cos I can't hear my own engine over theirs, so it's just easier. It's never such a "driving experience" in two player anyway... :)

i use a steering wheel (williams f1 logitec) and manuls a hell of a lot more fun its a little harder but boy is it fun

I started off GT3 with Auto then switched to manual about %20 into the game. I pretty much did the same thing for GT4.

Manual is much more rewarding. Especially on rally stages. You get much more control of the car, and besides.....auto transmission sucks when it comes to changing the gear at the right time.

Almost always Auto. I use manual occasionally and can do it fine for most vehicles but I don't take corners with as much precision when I do. A good example is the F1, I SUCK with it in manual, I bounce off the rev limiter or change too early or end up in the wrong gear for a corner, I envy people who can control that beast in manual but at the same time I think it's immature to belittle people who don't use manual:
Manual Or Dont Play At All... There Is No Point To Drive Auto unless you dont want to race at all
But if you want to snicker at us auto users and get some sense of superiority, feel free!

I've always had manual in my real life cars but have always used auto in GT games (since GT1). I just started that way and never switched. I don't know why. It hasn't stopped me yet though (over 100,000 A-Spec points and 80 golds in GT4) but I'm sure I might have done it sooner with manual. I guess I'm just too set in my ways. :)

It depends on the situation I have fun using manual on the DFP most of the time but some times I have to go auto, for example I use auto for mission 12. I am hanging onto the wheel for dear live trying to pass the test.

manual for racing all the way:tup:
....some license test I use auto :dunce: to concentrate on the fast racing line to get gold...
I forget the actual name but is the test with the yellow fiat in the last corner at Tsukuba... :nervous: I cannot get it in gold to save my life using manual :ouch: I have to switch to auto. and there maybe 2 more tests like that... :dopey:

Back