The CLOSE "SERIES" Thread

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 33 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
Hiya Guys & Gals! 👍
It's always a little SLOW :mischievous: around here this time of the year, so thought I'd post links to some Close Series Races that have been found. On the old GT3 Forums there was very popular thread listing Close "Individual" Races but there is already at least one EXCELLENT Thread here detailing 200 A-spec Point Races! :cheers:
Please feel free to post any you may have found or PM me the info & I'll edit them into the list along with credit where it's due!

From GTP Member Guyver 1 👍
"Completing F1 Championship with stock Audi R8" can be found HERE:

From GTP Member rockthing 👍
"Set up...like a Bowling Pin" (Good Arcade Race & Info) can be found HERE:

From GTP Member Chrasher 👍
"270HP against 500HP - The championship of my life!" (Suzuki GSX-R/4 vs JGTC500 / All Japan GT Championship) can be found HERE:

From GTP Member Sjenk 👍
"Winning GTWC with a CLK-GTR is too difficult?" can be found HERE:

Those that follow are courtesy of Yours Truly. :)

"Close...but NO Cigar!" (JGTC300 vs Some FAST Cars / Extreme Hall - Gran Turismo All Stars) can be found HERE:

"GroupC vs Formula GT" (Extreme Hall - Formula GT World) can be found HERE:

"JGTC300vs JGTC500" (Japanese Hall / Japanese GT Championship) can be found HERE:

"JGTC "Jr" vs DREAM CARS" (Extreme Hall Dream Car Championship) can be found HERE:

"JCTC vs Group C Ver 1.0" (MOTUL PITWOK Z @ Professional Hall - Gran Turismo World Championship) can be found HERE:

"JCTC vs Group C Ver 1.1" (XANAVI Skyline @ Professional Hall - Gran Turismo World Championship) can be found HERE:

CHRYSLER 300C vs Some "Race" Cars @ AMERICAN HALL / All American Championship can be found HERE:

and FINALLY four Single races but noteworthy anyway!

From GTP Member Luxy 👍
"Nurburgring 4hrs Endurance" can be found HERE:

From GTP Member route_66 👍
"Nurburgring 4hr Vendetta" can be found HERE:

From GTP Member Smallhorses 👍
"Nurburgring 4hrs! (Stock Honda S2000 Type-V '01) " can be found HERE:

Another from GTP Member Smallhorses 👍
"An Englishman in New York." Featuring a LESS than 5 SECOND WIN AFTER 2 hours 20+ Minutes of Racing :eek: can be found HERE:

From the "O.G."
"117 Laps of Fun" (A Well used R390 @ Infineon World Sport Car Trophy) can be found HERE:

I'll admit this is a BLATANT Attempt to get more of you to check out the MOST EXCELLENT "GT4 RACE REPORTS FORUM" & to STOP using the Formula GT & TOYOTA 88C-V Race Car everywhere! :irked: They're excellent rides BUT IMHO it's LOTS more FUN to be involved in a Challenging Series than to just "Blow Away" the competition. :indiff: ...O.G. :D

Just what the doctor ordered, OG. Great idea for a thread.

We all need to contribute to this. If you have a "race configuration" that results in a good challenge, please post it here in detail!

(Isn't it a shame that we have to do this ourselves? The game should do it for us!)

There are a lot of 200 point races that are quite straight forward, however a few of them result in excellent close racing. I have yet to complete them all but my favorites so far have been:

Race of the Red Emblem in a used GTS25 Type-S (R32) - stands out as the most fun I have had in the game yet.

Tourist Trophy in a used 1.8T - only managed 190 at Tokyo, getting 200 for this would have to be one of the hardest races I have come across. Perhaps a better suspension/LSD setup would make this a bit easier but it will never be easy.

Both of these require the use of the NOS however it is not just a matter of squirt and win. How much to use and where to use it is critical. When you are in a pos TT on N1s too much speed at the wrong time is a killer - turn you : censored : - to much nitrous at the wrong time and you will just sit there being a mobile smoke generator.

Old Geezer
Hiya Guys & Gals! 👍
STOP[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/B]using the Formula GT & TOYOYTA 88C-V Race Car everywhere! :irked: They're excellent rides BUT IMHO it's Lots more FUN to be involved in a Challenging Series than to just "Blow Away" the competition. :indiff: ...O.G. :D

Hell yea! Its much more fun and interesting
I hope GT5 will offer more closely competitive racing than GT4 hardly has

this is a good thread! lets keep it alive

VyPeR
I hope GT5 will offer more closely competitive racing than GT4 hardly has

Given that the next iteration, like all the others, has to cater to a market in which skill ranges between "OMFG the license tests are so hard - how am I supposed to get bonze in <insert random test>" to "I get my jollies by seeing how much I can beat the gold license test time" I wouldn't be holding my breath.

However, if you can't find some (a lot) of competitive races with 720 odd cars and >523 events then I don't think it is a problem with the game.

One of the great things about GT is the fact that you can make it as hard or as easy as you want - I doubt that there is a single race (except Family Cup) that could not be set up so as to require almost flawless driving to win.

The most fun I've had with the game was beating a bunch of GT300 cars (and a Mercedes Evo II DTM) with the Skyline GTR Pace Car at Clubman Stage Route 5. 200 A-Spec points. Too bad it was a family cup race so they don't count.

ABSOLUTELY the Most AMAZING Race :eek: I've yet seen a report on on has been added to Post #1. Featuring a Winning Margin of a mere 0.960 SECONDS after 4 HOURS of A-Spec Racing!!!

Congrats to route_66 for a job REMARKABLY Well Done!
:cheers: ...O.G. :D

Hi Bob!
You need to edit that last post, it was the Nurburgring 4hr, not 24hr that Route_66 won by 0.96s!
Can I get my Nurburgring 4hr post listed too? Or is 24s winning margin after 4hrs racing not tight enough? You'll find it here if you're interested. Not quite as tight as Route_66 but a great race nonetheless!
:cheers:

Old Geezer
BUT IMHO it's LOTS more FUN to be involved in a Challenging Series than to just "Blow Away" the competition. :indiff: ...O.G. :D

No IMHO about it, Bob! You're right again!

Moloch_horridus
Given that the next iteration, like all the others, has to cater to a market in which skill ranges between "OMFG the license tests are so hard - how am I supposed to get bonze in <insert random test>" to "I get my jollies by seeing how much I can beat the gold license test time" I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Frankly, the real problem is the Rabbit Syndrome. If there wasn't one fast guy and Four Stooges in most fields, it would be very easy to set your own difficulty/skill level for every race. But tuning to catrch the Rabbit means you're leaving the rest of the field by the second turn.

Who's stupid idea was that?

My nomination for a challenging series is the British GT Championship in a used TVR Cerbera Speed Six (not the Tuscan). I had to add Race IE, Chip, Race Brakes, Race Suspension, and NA1. For some of you faster guys you could probably drop some power. This is one field that stays reasonably bunched, and it was tooth and claw for the first bit of each race and not much margin for error in the second bit. And with the Cerbera's brakes, there's lots of opportunity for error.

A little cross-pollination.

This is one of the best CLOSE races I've ever read.

http ://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=561066&topic=22167636

Beware, GameFAQs threads have a half-life so read it while you can :)

P.S. MUST Cut & Paste the html addy into your browser. I purposely put a space between "http" and ":" to force this client to ignore that it's an html link.

THANX Nick! :cheers:
Looks like I need to put my well honed editing skills to the test again! :irked:

Have absolutely NO IDEA how I missed your write-up. :embarrassed: (Although I have had a lot of "Company" around this summer!) Will add it to the list "Momentarily!" 👍 ...O.G. :D

Old Geezer
ABSOLUTELY the Most AMAZING Race :eek: I've yet seen a report on on has been added to Post #1. Featuring a Winning Margin of a mere 0.960 SECONDS after 4 HOURS of A-Spec Racing!!!

Congrats to route_66 for a job REMARKABLY Well Done!
:cheers: ...O.G. :D

Awwww....Shucks. You don't half heap on the praise O.G, you're making me blush.

Anyway, thanks for a cool thread and some cool suggestions, hopefully I'll put up a few more of my own races when I get round to it.........

route_66
Anyway, thanks for a cool thread and some cool suggestions, hopefully I'll put up a few more of my own races when I get round to it.........

Do you suppose there should be a criteria stating:
"Close Races that OTHER people can aspire to!"? :lol: :sly:

jdw
Do you suppose there should be a criteria stating:
"Close Races that OTHER people can aspire to!"? :lol: :sly:

Psssssh. You know you could do it too. 👍 :)
Plus, there's plenty of people on here who are waaaaaay faster than I am... :nervous:

Next time I'll find a nice easy one for you (The 2J at Sarthe II looks very promising......)

Hi Bob! This doesn't really belong here, so don't put it in post 1, but I know how much you like close racing and this may give you the urge to dust off the GT3 disk & give it a shot!
2hrs of racing with never more than ~6s between 1st & 2nd place! And a 2.6s MOV! :eek:
Spooning away 2hrs in Rome
Enjoy!;)

KOOL Nick! 👍
GREAT Read & a FANTASTIC Race! :cheers: Can't even begin to explain how disappointed I am that Rome was left out of GT4! :irked: You might enjoy checking HERE & HERE for a couple of Old Threads detailing running the Stratos there in GT3. That's RIGHT!!! I hacked a Road Version out of GT3 & about ten of us had a real BLAST running thru the Roman Streets. MOV's weren't quite as close as yours however! :eek: ...O.G. :D

Sounds like it was fun, but you'd have needed an X-port to get into that race, right? Never did lay my hands on one of those. So glad the Stratos has made a proper reappearance in GT4, though I've not driven it, YET. :mischievous:

Smallhorses
Sounds like it was fun, but you'd have needed an X-port to get into that race, right? Never did lay my hands on one of those. So glad the Stratos has made a proper reappearance in GT4, though I've not driven it, YET. :mischievous:
Yep 👍 a "Shark/X-Port" & "MK's" software were needed. Don't know HOW you get along without one! :eek: Even though it's NOT as versatile w/GT4 I still consider it a Necessity! I've got 8-9 GT4 "Saves" on my PC plus the THREE Memory Cars I use!!!
As to the STRATO'S...it IS a little "Strange" in the handling department BUT quite accurately modelled IMHO! ...O.G. :D

A Stratos will find its way into my garage soon, possibly with some of my Sarthe I prizemoney! When it does, its sure to get the thrashing of a lifetime! Loved the car in GT2 and missed it in GT3. Have a friend who got me the GT3 Diablo, but I just couldn't bring myself to take on the poor deformed GT3 version of the Stratos.
Now its back & looking beautiful! :drool:

The only MAJOR problem I found with the STRATO'S in GT3 was the tyres "Poking" thru the fenders (wings?) :eek: It took a little "Fiddling" w/"MK's" but I was able to fix it. You'll LOVE it in GT4 I'm sure. BTW: You are aware there's a Rallye Version as well, aren't you? ...O.G. :D

Old Geezer
The only MAJOR problem I found with the STRATO'S in GT3 was the tyres "Poking" thru the fenders (wings?) :eek: It took a little "Fiddling" w/"MK's" but I was able to fix it. You'll LOVE it in GT4 I'm sure. BTW: You are aware there's a Rallye Version as well, aren't you? ...O.G. :D

ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh yes! Well aware! It promises to be a right giggle! :drool: :mischievous: :cool:
Will probably try something unorthodox with it though. Maybe Tokyo Endurance, if it'll keep up. :sly:
Will have to sort my ice racing techique out before I head to Chamonix to lay my hands on that particular prize though. Special Events hall is more-or-less untouched at the moment, only the 3 Tsukuba wet races and Easy level George V Paris (to win the Alpine) completed so far..... endurances were sooooo much more tempting than slithering around a bunch of dirt, gravel & snow!!!

New Link added to the first post:

CHRYSLER 300C vs Some "Race" Cars @ AMERICAN HALL / All American Championship

5 Close races, TWO of which had MOVs of less than 1/2 second!!! :eek: ...O.G. :D

Any suggestions for the PD cup?

Right now I'm setting up to run it in a TRD Celica. :indiff:

Might be fun. :confused:
I just don't know what kind of A-spec points I will get from it.

In case you wonder...
I'm running the PD cup over again so I can win an "opera performance S2000."
However, in the process I want to bump up my A-spec total.

So there you have it.
A-spec points and fun... Can I get them both? :D

Hiya Kent: 👍
My records show I've run the PD CUP twice but I only recorded ONE ride I'd used! :dunce: That was the AUDI TT (Road Version). Until quite recently I haven't paid much attention to A-Spec Points so I have no idea how many were awarded. :confused: Let me know how you do & I may run it again! 👍 ...O.G. :D

Kent
Any suggestions for the PD cup?

Right now I'm setting up to run it in a TRD Celica. :indiff:

Might be fun. :confused:
I just don't know what kind of A-spec points I will get from it.

In case you wonder...
I'm running the PD cup over again so I can win an "opera performance S2000."
However, in the process I want to bump up my A-spec total.

So there you have it.
A-spec points and fun... Can I get them both? :D

Well... the PD Cup is one of most difficult/annoying to get points in simply because:
a) As you probably know, points are calculated by averaging the field
b) The field of potential competitors varies widely in performance. Included could be anything from the Ford GT, SL55 down to the Honda Fit W and Mini ONE.

It's the sort of anecdote that so many chime in with to dismiss the entire A-Spec concept.

Anyway, only the Dodge RAM (in it's dubious Aspec nature) has managed 200p. I used a Honda Element w/~240hp against a Honda S2000 (+Supra RZ, RX-7, S3 and 206cc) @149 a race. That was pretty hard.

Route has also mentioned that an Impreza might provide high point races against the Ford GT but... Don't know.

You can certainly have a close race if you can match the breakout car's pace but I wouldn't expect much for points.

futuredrifter
Hey people im not tryin to sound rude or nothing but wat is the point of this thread? FutureDrifter (sorry)

Try reading the first post of every thread.
Usually the topic of discussion is posted there.

Sometimes the topic of a thread is clearly posted in the title to the thread as well; this is the case for the "close race series thread."

This is a thread for the discussion of races in Gran Turismo 4 that were "close" competition with the AI.

I know it's hard to imagine... Close competition from the AI in gt4? Someone even wants a "close race"? :lol:
Close races are in GT4 and many of us want to try racing in them.

On that note, I just ran the first race of the PD cup...
:cheers: 2nd Place :cheers:
:lol:

Yeah, I suck. :(
It was one heck of a race though. 👍
2nd place qualification and 2nd place finish.

My car was the TRD celica with semi-racing suspension, brakes, close tranny, turbo1 and racing chip... Two hundred and forty-something hp. :drool:

I tuned the semi race suspension and down force... Lost all the driving aids. Ended up handling like a perfect example of a tuned FF street car.

Sports-medium and the package above:
Motegi Full Course: 2'17.2 fast lap

Still lost to the "S-tune" Z by +14.5 seconds.

I could have won if there were no mistakes. :(
But dang that Celica was fun. :lol:

futuredrifter
Hey people im not tryin to sound rude or nothing but wat is the point of this thread?
The point of this thread is to advertise the fact that some people don't just slap a Stage 4 turbo on a Skyline and go win a Le Mans Prototype that they will use to destroy all the rest of the races with as little effort as possible.

In GT3 arcade mode I once won from a Jaguar XJ220 race car and other similar cars driving a Renault Clio race car. It looks very funny on replay :P

Back