GTPDC Month 6 .:RESUTLS ARE IN:.

• Thread starter Sheron
  • 103 comments
WELCOME TO GTPDC6

gtpdc6intro0gy.jpg

Here's a little video I've made to show you how to drift on this track: Right click, save as... (27Mb)

Now for the instructions. It is imperative that you read this before you register:

This will be a exhibition drift only. There will be 2 divisions: Professional and Amateur. To participate, here's what you need to do: Decide on what car and division you want to compete in.
PM me what division you want to compete in.

DO NOT POST YOUR CAR SELECTION IN THIS THREAD

Your video must not contain your name, or any way to identify who's video it is (to promote fairness in judging).

The video must include the video name assigned to you (via PM) by the head judge, the lateral G-meter, speedometer, wheel (if possible), T times, and lap time. It should be a one lap replay without editing using the external replay cameras, and if you can, add a bumper view in PIP mode or after the exterior view replay. The video must not be larger than 25Mb, and it must be downloadable (I won't accept streaming videos like putfile or streetfire).

When you want to turn in your entry, you can use your own host, or one of the hosts included in this thread: Click here. When the video is uploaded please PM [Sheron] with the link of the video, and post in the thread that your video is uploaded. As soon as they are evaluted, the links will be made public to promote fairness in these challenges.

Good luck to our participants and drift on....

Deadline: Sunday, February 5, 2006
Track: Motorland II (reverse)
Car: Vehicle weight less than 1000kg
(weight reductions allowed)

motorland6bi.jpg

• Proffesional class will do all track
  • Amateur class will start after the first corner (next to the pit-line exit)

If you have anymore questions, please check GTPDC INFO. If your answer is not there, then ask in this thread.

.:Exhibition:.

-[Professional]-
ekmatt9
CoolGeekz
Erocks13

-[Amateur]-
DARKEST_HOUR
identti
Fairlady240zg

Scoring:
Style - 10 points
Angle - 10 points
Control - 10 points
Smoke - 5 points

Head Judge: Sheron

.:Judges:.

DO NOT I REPEAT POST WHAT CAR YOU ARE GOING TO BE USING......

.:RESUTLS:.

gtpdc6results4fp.jpg

There's a tie in Amateur section. It's unbelieveable but it has happened.

Congratulations to Coolgeekz for winning this one 👍

Videos:

identti -> http://www.bgj.ca/gtp/gtpdc/GTPDC6_A04.mp4
Fairlady240zg -> http://www.bgj.ca/gtp/gtpdc/GTPDC6_A06.WMV
CoolGeekz -> http://www.bgj.ca/gtp/gtpdc/GTPDC6_P03.wmv
Erocks13 -> http://www.bgj.ca/gtp/gtpdc/GTPDC6_P05.wmv

eeep... Motorland. I am absolutely brutal at that course, the spacing of many of the corners doesn't agree with me. I'm gonna have to think about this a little.

edit:
actually, I'd like to volunteer to help judge this comp. I'd like to try and avoid the difficulties we had in attaining scores in the last 2 GTPDC's.
(my way of saying I'm wussing out of the competition :sly: - but I might put together a demo if I find the time and a fun car)

I wouldn't mind judging this if I was a judge, my semester started and its not going to get bust anytime soon, hopefully.
edit: change my mind because Im rusty and I need to get back to my roots XD sorry ^^"

My two cents: Even though vehicles lighter than 1000kg are (in general) low powered, I suggest every one to (at least) try drifting with N3 tyres. Yes, they grip a lot, but you'll be able to drift succesfully the tight hairpins in 1st gear without losing speed. Last corner will be a bit difficult to do, but not very much.

:)

Interesting track choice.. I've always been fond of this as a drift track, but I've never mastered it. It can even be linked from start to finish (manji before the esses, I guess), but the narrow, tight track makes it very hard indeed.

I'm used to drifting heavy cars myself (I like the leaning and squatting), I don't know if I have set up any drift cars below 1000kg really... yet

Ske
It can even be linked from start to finish (manji before the esses, I guess), but the narrow, tight track makes it very hard indeed.

You mean after the esses, don't forget it's the reverse way :)

And the first corner is very very tricky. To me it's one of the most difficult corners in GT4 :scared:

heh, that's about the only corner I enjoy on that track. Everything after the esses, is nightmarish for me. The right-left-left after the hairpin is horrible - the corner spacing and corner radii just don't flow together well for me, be it a drifting or racing line. It's the second left in particular that I find difficult.

Sheron
You mean after the esses, don't forget it's the reverse way :)
:dunce: Oops, i've been setting my cars up for the normal way

And the first corner is very very tricky. To me it's one of the most difficult corners in GT4

Oddly, I actually like that corner, I hate the first long corner going the normal way (I always under steer into it).

Boundary Layer
heh, that's about the only corner I enjoy on that track. Everything after the esses, is nightmarish for me. The right-left-left after the hairpin is horrible - the corner spacing and corner radii just don't flow together well for me, be it a drifting or racing line. It's the second left in particular that I find difficult.

I completely agree... I absolutely hate this track... I wish they would have brought back the old "Motorsports Land" from GT2... Now that was a fun compact drift track...

I'd like to sign up for judging...

;)

I'm only having one problem on this course so far, and it's this: (circled corner)
turn0bl.png

I can not keep drifting through this corner and continue drifting into the next. Either I have too much speed and hit the grass, or I'm too slow and can't keep drifting. Manji works sometimes, but there has to be a way to link that turn without manji. :grumpy:

I've already linked the entire course in the normal direction, but reverse is much harder.

Why don't the contestants of GTPDCs judge all of the videos but their own? This way everybody could compete and there would always be an ample amount of judges. The scores would probably get in faster too becuase the competitors are anxious to see how they did.

Folkedahl
Why don't the contestants of GTPDCs judge all of the videos but their own? This way everybody could compete and there would always be an ample amount of judges. The scores would probably get in faster too becuase the competitors are anxious to see how they did.

First off, no matter how many people may argue, there's going to be bias.

Second, most of the contestants are not familiar with judging these things...

Sheron will get a list of active judges that will return the scores as quicklly as possible. I think you should leave the scoring to the judges. Just my opinion.

I've been doing some practice and I can drift succesfully and widely from enter to exit and corners 7-8 (linked). The key is to have traction at low speeds and avoid wheelspinning with throttle control.

In order to have traction you must rise rear stabilizers. I also did so with front ones to keep the car balanced. I setted them to 4th level.

Sheron
I've been doing some practice and I can drift succesfully and widely from enter to exit and corners 7-8 (linked). The key is to have traction at low speeds and avoid wheelspinning with throttle control.

In order to have traction you must rise rear stabilizers. I also did so with front ones to keep the car balanced. I setted them to 4th level.

I have that exact drift in my GT4 vid with a R34. It took me a couple of tries but I got it done 👍

CoolGeekz
I'm only having one problem on this course so far, and it's this: (circled corner)
turn0bl.png

I can not keep drifting through this corner and continue drifting into the next. Either I have too much speed and hit the grass, or I'm too slow and can't keep drifting. Manji works sometimes, but there has to be a way to link that turn without manji. :grumpy:

I've already linked the entire course in the normal direction, but reverse is much harder.

Well in the normal direction, the best thing for me is to come from the outside, then when you start gettin closer tape the e brake either 1 or 2 times( Depending on the speed) then get back on the gas alittle and feel your way through....... I would do the same in reverse.

Ok, so which part dont I drift for amateur..? That large one under motorland or the huge one next to the car?? Im lost on which turn in the key im supposed to skip for amateur..? Sorry..

Fairlady240zg
No reason to be a dick. I was thinking the small turn at the very begining of the pit.

No reason to resort to name calling. 👎

He showed you that's it's possible. That's it. We all have some challenges with this track and Sheron's given you and example. I would think you'd be somewhat thankful.

Swift
No reason to resort to name calling. 👎

He showed you that's it's possible. That's it. We all have some challenges with this track and Sheron's given you and example. I would think you'd be somewhat thankful.

Thankful for what?
I simply asked which turn I was not supposed to hit in amatuer and he quoted the top. After reading my post it was evident that I had read the above, and still was foggy on which turn...as I have only ran the course a few times. Not all of us know/remember where the start is on the course..It would have been easy enough to read the post and then reply by saying "Its the one under motorland." Im at work and not sitting infront of my ps2..
I think you missed the point swift.
I didnt need a video, which did no help..because there was no section of the course omitted..and it didnt answer my question.
The video does help in seeing how he attacked the course, thats cool and I appreciate it.
Ill keep my name calling to myself..👍

Fairlady240zg
Thankful for what?
I simply asked which turn I was not supposed to hit in amatuer and he quoted the top. After reading my post it was evident that I had read the above, and still was foggy on which turn...as I have only ran the course a few times. Not all of us know/remember where the start is on the course..It would have been easy enough to read the post and then reply by saying "Its the one under motorland." Im at work and not sitting infront of my ps2..
I think you missed the point swift.
I didnt need a video, which did no help..because there was no section of the course omitted..and it didnt answer my question.
The video does help in seeing how he attacked the course, thats cool and I appreciate it.
Ill keep my name calling to myself..👍

When you start throwing around names, I really don't care what you point is.
Glad to see that you'll keep that locked down.

After re-reading your post, it's unclear what you're asking. Also, if you're at work, why would you ask a specific question on a track that you're not that familiar with? Since it would obviously be very hard to determine what he meant until you got back home. Had you been at home and taken a look at it, you very well could have said, "Oh, I get it now! I wasn't looking for that before" But being at work, that's not very possible. Especially when you don't know the track that well.

I belive Fairlady240zg understands this by now - but just to tie the loosends and remove any confusion that may still be lingering among other members thinking of entering amateur, I'll answer his question directly (since no one else has yet):

You would begin your run after the long-ish uphill left which follows directly after the start-finish gate going in the reverse direction.
ie. the amateur run starts as you enter the section of esses.

Back