‘Never Before Seen’ Version of GT Sport at 2017 Nürburgring 24 Hours This Weekend

In GT5, it wasn't a feature, it was only a special event and the only cars you were allowed to use were the Mercedes gullwing cars.

So far, I don't know of any other racing game where you can use this feature with any car on any track.

Hey! Looks like we found the new feature after all and that entire two day argument was completely pointless!

What feature is that? that you are making large leaps and bounds about in a vague statement that nobody knows anything about.

"roughly translated" Japon to German to English what could go wrong :rolleyes:

In GT5, it wasn't a feature, it was only a special event and the only cars you were allowed to use were the Mercedes gullwing cars.

So far, I don't know of any other racing game where you can use this feature with any car on any track.

Hey! Looks like we found the new feature after all and that entire two day argument was completely pointless!
I thought we weren't supposed to rely on these statements unless Kaz made the directly? I believe that was your caveat if I'm not mistaken.

I thought we weren't supposed to rely on these statements unless Kaz made the directly? I believe that was your caveat if I'm not mistaken.

If we're to follow your logic, any statement is fair game. So this is a new feature only revealed to us late yesterday night, and that should make it a new version. So therefore the original promise of a new version of the software was met after all.

If we're to follow your logic, any statement is fair game. So this is a new feature only revealed to us late yesterday night, and that should make it a new version. So therefore the original promise of a new version of the software was met after all.
What new feature? Can you please describe how it works in detail and a link for proof would be nice also, not that I don't take your word as gospel.

Two words translated 3x does not make a new feature.

looking at the tyre symbols on the bottom left of the big screen, the right front tyre seems to be a different colour from the others, so maybe tyre temps are in this build of the game?
Nice work. 👍
I agree that the front right tyre does seem to have a purplish hue.
And that would be the first time I've ever seen tyre temps. represented.

All of this bickering back and forth over the last days.
All I've seen are a handful of still shots.
And that brief clip of the bouncing R8 rig.
I can only assume it's the same for everyone.
How people are so adamant on their chosen stance with zero evidence either way is beyond me.

@MrWaflz55
Sorry mate, but it seems unlikely to me that the Campaign mode was unlocked at N24.
But I do certainly agree, the last days of arguing were completely pointless.

Edit.

N24_zpsmkjtadpb.jpg

A few observations of that image.
It looks to me like the old car symbol inside the tyres, not the segmented one we are now accustomed to seeing in the latest beta build.
More importantly, I note a purple lap time in the top right corner, but the tyres still seem cold (not even that), except the inside right, and after a significant right hander.
So perhaps it's simply a weird illusion because I'm struggling to make sense of it.

Also, on another note.
That looks suspiciously like someone driving the GT-R LM on the other screen.

Last edited:
What new feature? Can you please describe how it works in detail and a link for proof would be nice also, not that I don't take your word as gospel.

Two words translated 3x does not make a new feature.

From the Gamescom PDF, you'll be able to warp to specific sections of the track, any car on any of the 19 tracks featured in GT Sport. It's incredibly specific to be a coincidence of translation, no?

Just my opninion, nobody's forcing you to take my word as gospel.

Love that concept. I wish every game did that. It would save so much time if I could practice the sectors or corners I struggle on instead of having to complete full laps

Or have the track design feature which allows you to copy and paste your favrorite/least favourite corner or complex which you can then use to form an oval or tri-oval.

Imagine an oval with short straights using the two Midfield Raceway left-right-hairpins, or turns 1 & 2 of Apricot Hill, or four RBR turn ones (can't remember its proper name).

From the Gamescom PDF, you'll be able to warp to specific sections of the track, any car on any of the 19 tracks featured in GT Sport. It's incredibly specific to be a coincidence of translation, no?

Just my opninion, nobody's forcing you to take my word as gospel.

I hadn't realized an interview in a Gamescom magazine was referring to the "never-before-seen" build found at the Nürburgring. That's a very unusual method to announce a new feature.

The full (Google Translated) copy:

Gran Turismo is the Ferrari of the video games. A myth. A name that makes hearts beat faster. The team around Studiochef and Mastermind Kazunori Yamauchi has always set the standards in the racing genre - which has been achieved regularly since the first Gran Turismo, which was released in 1997 for the Playstation 1. At the Geneva Motor Show, we had the opportunity to ask Yamauchi about his new game. Shortly thereafter, Sony started the closed beta phase in Europe, where we spent a week studying the game and making countless races.

Fair Drive
Late braking and using opponents as bounce blocks. Rivals from the track defend his placement without regard for losses. Probably no couch-racer can be completely free of such a driving way - we at least not. In Gran Turismo: Sport, rude actions affect the sporting value. This, in turn, contributes to the qualification criteria for the racing license, the developer Polyphony Digital distributed together with the automobile world federation FIA to GT: sports players. Of course you have to meet additional criteria and not least to achieve excellent round times. But the top riders are then beckoned to be admitted to real racetracks. The extent to which the sporting value also affects the campaign in Gran Turismo: Sport is not yet known. We can imagine, however, that a fair driving system increases the bonuses at the end of a race - that would be
A fine thing. In order for beginners to be successful without reckless actions, they can learn how to drive curves optimally, find the ideal braking points and drift without time loss as usual in the beginners' school. In the section "Track experience", the 19 race circuits included can be circulated in sections. Here you can complete every curve and every chicane until you are perfectly traversed. Yamauchi's team is also keen to ensure that players not only look for the fastest cars and best performance upgrades, but also get the decisive tenths of a second through driving skills.

One for all
The campaign has more than 100 tasks for you. This includes regular placement races as well as drift or slalom events. According to Kazunori Yamauchi, however, the career should only serve as a preparation for the sports mode, in which one races against human opponents online. In the Nation's Cup one represents his home country, in the Manufacturer's Cup his favorite manufacturer. In addition to the successes so far, the matchmaking also includes the reputation value. From a ligasystem or the like, however, we have not seen anything yet. If you are in the mood for a sprint, you can watch Gran Turismo Sport Live official races. These are accompanied by professional commentators and fixed as with a TV transmission of virtual cameras. An interesting innovation!

Real Driving Simulation
Along with Brands Hatch and the Tokyo Expressway we were allowed to visit the legendary
Nordschleife at the Nürburgring. In order to explore the differences between the cars, we naturally switched off the aid. This is one of the great strengths of the new Gran Turismo: the vehicles are completely different. While our Lotus Elise almost chases like a kart around the curves, the Dodge SRT shows that he likes straight lines. In order to prevent the muscle car from breaking out, we have to push our Thrustmaster-Wheel over and over again. When we flew off, the force feedback rattled over the gravel bed so much that we had to mobilize all the forces to hold the steering wheel. So there is reason to hope that the comparatively small number of 140 vehicles still provides enough variety to make sure that no boredom will arise. Also visually, the Boliden in the beta version are beyond doubt.

Jewelery like the Bugatti Vision GT is so perfectly modeled that every car fan's heart goes up - probably on the standard PS4 and "only" in full HD resolution. If you have a PS4 Pro, you can enjoy Gran Turismo: Sport even in 1800p resolution, which is checked by checkerboard to 4K and, moreover, fantastic HDR effects. Both versions run with butterish 60 images per second and produce an impressive speed feeling, especially in the bumper perspective. On the sound lay the Japanese
This time special value. Engines sound most authentic, too transmission noise is clearly heard. Although not all are 140
engine sounds are true to the game, but according to Yamauchi, the sound engineers record new sounds every day.
Beim Durchschalten durch das HUD fällt auf, dass Polyphony die Anzeigenvielfalt erweitert hat. When switching through the HUD, it is noticeable that Polyphony has expanded the display diversity. So you can now show a kind of radar showing the positions of the enemy vehicles next to or behind one. This is especially practical in the cockpit, bumper or engine hood.

Who has the damage...
Some weaknesses showed the beta anyway. Thus, the damage model is still limited to scratches on the varnish. We fear that this will not change much since Kazunori Yamauchi played down the importance of a realistic damage model in Geneva. Also the happening off the track is so far somewhat disappointing. Barriers can not be destroyed and trees or spectators look anything but modern. When traveling to the gravel bed, our vehicle does not produce any visible traces. In isolation, all of these are not serious problems, but in sum, they diminish the atmosphere considerably and contradict Yamauchi's often propagated perfectionism. In the beta, three race events took place every day at fixed times, during which the qualifying rounds were held for the rest of the day. The vehicle class was given, whereby PS and weight were unified, so that the best driver and not the strongest car wins. The adjustment of traction control or braking force distribution is possible - by means of HUD display even during the race. A concrete release for gran
Turismo: Sport still stands out. In the first half of the year, we are no longer counting on racing simulations. So Yamauchi's team remain a few months to work on the weaknesses. There may be the direct duel Gran Turismo: Sport vs. Forza Motorsport 7.

And the interview with Yamauchi:

"OUR AIM IS THE CREATING OF A NEW DNA IN MOTORSPORT AND BREAKING AGE BORDER "
Kazunori Yamauchi, Senior Director at Polyphony Digital, talked to us about the collaboration with car makers and the FIA, about artificial intelligence in road traffic and about virtual reality. Polyphony Digital works with the FIA and successful players even get a digital racing license. Is not this point too far with realism?

Kazunori Yamauchi: We want to build a bridge between racing and video games with Gran Turismo: Sport. For us, Gran Turismo already represents a sport and at the same time serves as a tool for combining real racing and video games. The cooperation with car manufacturers such as Pininfarina or the FIA is therefore not an exclusive project with regard to Gran Turismo: Sport. Instead, I hope that it will develop new ideas and energies. In the best case - such as the Fittipaldi EF7 Vision Gran Turismo - even new cars and young, creative designers emerge from it. Our goal is to create a new DNA in motorsport and break old boundaries. We want to change the future of the automotive sector.

The auto industry is changing visibly. AI-controlled, self-propelled cars are considered by many to be the technology of the future. What can a racing game series like Gran Turismo learn from it?

YAMAUCHI: In this case, of course, you have to make a clear distinction: Gran Turismo's driver's AI works in a "perfect", pre-computed game world, while the artificial intelligence in real road traffic must recognize and process more factors. I believe that the progress in this area will not make the driving of sports cars obsolete. Imagine you are driving a Ferrari over a narrow serpentine road or a racetrack. I think it would be quite boring if the car would take over for you.

As we are talking about novelties: Gran Turismo: Sport also supports Playstation VR. What are your experiences with Virtual RealityBrillen?

YAMAUCHI: The first VR headset was developed in 1962 - before my birth. I had always hoped that there would be a really functional virtual reality device. But that would take 50 years, I would not have thought. Playstation VR already shows what might be possible in the future, and maybe we do not need a TV any more. Personally, I've already tried games like Rez Infinite. This title shows very well how to use Playstation VR effectively.

Thank you for the interview.

If anything, I wouldn't even take that somewhat shaky translation as a conclusion of a learn-by-sector mode. We've already seen hints that the offline campaign could be very similar to previous GT games' licenses — those tend to deal with sections of track, too.

It's certainly possible players will be able to pick and choose on their own. But this isn't 100% confirmation.

*Snip*
If anything, I wouldn't even take that somewhat shaky translation as a conclusion of a learn-by-sector mode. We've already seen hints that the offline campaign could be very similar to previous GT games' licenses — those tend to deal with sections of track, too.

It's certainly possible players will be able to pick and choose on their own. But this isn't 100% confirmation.
Yep, I tend to agree.
To my knowledge, "Circuit Experience" is suggested to have 35 events.
With 19 tracks it would seem to me that the breaking down of certain track segments will obviously be available, but still quite limited.
What options may or may not be available here is unknown I guess, but I'm not expecting a great deal of freedom to choose particular corners/sections of tracks.
Only those offered in the menus.

I'm a little happier rolling with the drift and slalom events.
I assume this would be done via the "Mission Challenge" section, and with a supposed 62 events, that seems quite reasonable.

Last edited:
I hadn't realized an interview in a Gamescom magazine was referring to the "never-before-seen" build found at the Nürburgring. That's a very unusual method to announce a new feature.

The full (Google Translated) copy:

And the interview with Yamauchi:

Alright, so if this information isn't from the ring, then what's it doing in this thread?

At least one of the two NFS Shift games had 3 separate sections of the ring in both the Career and Quick race sections, where the game would judge the corners taken with a checkmark.

Not saying it's the same feature by any standard, just giving an example from memory.

Cheers
Pcars also has it in sections, as does Ride 2.

However the one I like the most is the tourist version from AC.

Alright, so if this information isn't from the ring, then what's it doing in this thread?
That's a fair call.
And apart from the fact they both are from Germany, nothing. :sly:

So what do you think of the "purple" tyre?
It has me confused if I'm honest.

But I'm intrigued by the image on the other screen.
I see a white lap time box, a current lap time grey box, and a GTR-LM on track with people watching the action.
I note @Matypanda posted "Gr.1 playable" earlier, but all I saw at the time was a replay or scape on screen and no people.
But that screen looks a bit more positive confirmation to my mind.

I still don't understand why we have almost zero footage from N24.
So I guess dissecting images is all we have. :P

Any particular reason??? Just curious, as AC is the game I'm least familiar with...

Cheers
Aside from the track being extremely accurate, the Tourist variant features the start from the tourist parking lot and you can't make a complete lap, because it's fenced off at one part. I made this video ages ago, showing it:

It simulates how it would be at a normal tourist drive.

Last edited:
Aside from the track being extremely accurate, the Tourist variant features the the start from the tourist parking lot and you can't make a complete lap, because it's fenced off at one part. I made this video ages ago, showing it:

That's the feature I want the most from AC in more games. It's an incredibly immersive experience instead of just pretending to drive a road car on the racing layout of the Nordschleife. More games need the Touristenfahren layout.

Any particular reason??? Just curious, as AC is the game I'm least familiar with...

Cheers
As has been said it's the exact same layout you can go and drive as a member of the public.

The timing even runs from bridge to gantry, which is the 'unofficial' timing start and stop points.

You even have to drive from your car parking space, through the barrier and around the gates at the start.

Not suitable for racing at all, but great for a road car track day.

Listen, if you're just looking to find thing to argue about, I suggest you find a better and more productive use of your time.
You call it arguing, I call it filtering out false facts. You took two words and tried to make a story out of it just for the sake of promoting GTS.

Aside from the track being extremely accurate, the Tourist variant features the start from the tourist parking lot and you can't make a complete lap, because it's fenced off at one part. I made this video ages ago, showing it:

As has been said it's the exact same layout you can go and drive as a member of the public.

The timing even runs from bridge to gantry, which is the 'unofficial' timing start and stop points.

You even have to drive from your car parking space, through the barrier and around the gates at the start.

Not suitable for racing at all, but great for a road car track day.

Oh that's way too cool... thank you muchly people!

Cheers

You call it arguing, I call it filtering out false facts. You took two words and tried to make a story out of it just for the sake of promoting GTS.

"In the section "Track experience", the 19 included circuits can be circulated in sections. Here you can complete every curve and every chicane until you get it through perfectly."

That's more than two words. I initially thought that this information was from the Nurburgring event because it was brought up in this thread. As @Tassie_tiger has pointed out, that's not the case. The argument is over and has been for a long time. Either it ends here, or I can report you both for not following @SlipZtrEm's directions.

I was there and drove an improved Beta, they let me pick Time Trials (amongst race vs AI) and let me choose a difficulty (!) it could only be referring to physics, I guess and indeed, since I, of Course, tried the "professional" (the hardest out of three Options) it wasn't a Piece of cake keeping that LMP1 on the tarmac around the 'Ring. Yes, LMP1's where there. There was also a VR-set to try and I tried that one aswell, I have never before tried any VR, I didn't like it. It was a lap around Willow Springs in a Nissan GT-R, the track and car Combo was alright, but it's so pixeled, I think I'm gonna give this Technology 2-3 more years before I consider a purchase... The first rig was from a PS4pro and ran on a 4k compatible Sony TV, I asked the guy that worked there if this was running real 4k Resolution and he confirmed, but I take that with a grain of salt because those guys aren't really tech experts. I must say it looked really good, much better than the beta at home on my regular PS4 on a low-res-non-Sony TV at least. That's all I'm gonna Report about the Nürburgring GTS appearence.

P.S. oh well one more Thing, the AI was very poor, rubber banded and didn't react to me at all, so still pretty much a AU (Artificial Unintelligence) though at least they ran a somewhat exaptable pace on "professional" or "hard" (can't remember what they called it) I was wishing for a fourth Option like "Alien" or something.

P.S.S. Nürb 24h is such an amazing Event, i can only recommend coming to experience this, wherever you come from! Sorry for slight off-Topic in the end.

I was there and drove an improved Beta, they let me pick Time Trials (amongst race vs AI) and let me choose a difficulty (!) it could only be referring to physics, I guess and indeed, since I, of Course, tried the "professional" (the hardest out of three Options) it wasn't a Piece of cake keeping that LMP1 on the tarmac around the 'Ring. Yes, LMP1's where there. There was also a VR-set to try and I tried that one aswell, I have never before tried any VR, I didn't like it. It was a lap around Willow Springs in a Nissan GT-R, the track and car Combo was alright, but it's so pixeled, I think I'm gonna give this Technology 2-3 more years before I consider a purchase... The first rig was from a PS4pro and ran on a 4k compatible Sony TV, I asked the guy that worked there if this was running real 4k Resolution and he confirmed, but I take that with a grain of salt because those guys aren't really tech experts. I must say it looked really good, much better than the beta at home on my regular PS4 on a low-res-non-Sony TV at least. That's all I'm gonna Report about the Nürburgring GTS appearence.

P.S. oh well one more Thing, the AI was very poor, rubber banded and didn't react to me at all, so still pretty much a AU (Artificial Unintelligence) though at least they ran a somewhat exaptable pace on "professional" or "hard" (can't remember what they called it) I was wishing for a fourth Option like "Alien" or something.

P.S.S. Nürb 24h is such an amazing Event, i can only recommend coming to experience this, wherever you come from! Sorry for slight off-Topic in the end.
Nice review!
What LMP1 did you use?
About 4K, I think Digital Foundry has already confirmed that the game actually runs at 1800p with that checkerboard rendering tech.

Thanks, @Flaco13 so, that may have been the 'never seen before version' they were talking about. Could have been worded better, as something like 'never played before cars' but, whatta ya' gonna do? Obscurity is something 'unique' about PD and their reasoning (translations).

Back